Calexico
09-18-2007, 05:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62C7XaiVkXM

Truscott
09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I dig it. But it needs more cowbell.

Andrea
12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I was Googlebating and found my song on this Jayhawks Fan board???????
I LOVE Jayhawks/Gary Louris! He's an incredible writer with an incomporable gift of Melody. Pretty much nails it everytime!!
Was this posted by the same Calexico from the Jay Farrar board?
Very surprised for the support as if I recall, I believe Calexico compared my face to that of a Bobblehead's?? Oh Well, I guess it's more flattering to have someone dig my song than my face any ole' way.. Thanks for posting it all the same:)
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Haggischomper
12-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Was this posted by the same Calexico from the Jay Farrar board?

Yeah, 'fraid so. :D

axeeugene
12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Calex-ico...is everywhere you go!

And these days, there needs to be no "hugging it out," Andrea. Farrar has so definitively surpassed Tweedy that it would bring him down to do so.

A short EP with Circadian Rhythm, Clear Day Thunder, and 6 String Belief on it would utterly dismantle the entire Tweedy catalog after he had the inspiration to ad lib "Music is my savior, but I was maimed by rock and roll."

greekguy
12-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I was Googlebating

Heh Heh. I have never heard anyone use that term for THAT before. Hope that went well for you though.

Andrea
12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Andrea
I was Googlebating

Heh Heh. I have never heard anyone use that term for THAT before. Hope that went well for you though.

Tweedy himself (or maybe it was Fred Armisen), was the one who originally taught it to me...

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=3425517

I still find the song cringeworthy, I can't lie.

That's cool...Nels liked it! :)

JoMama
12-21-2007, 08:28 PM
You could tighten it up a bit and sell it to Faith Hill?

Andrea
12-21-2007, 08:50 PM
That's the Plan ;)

Andrea
12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey, Can I ask someone on this board a favor? Since I realized I was loosely associated with a Jayhawks board, I just can't get the bands overly engaging melodies are out of my head and realized how my record collection sadly lacks anything but Hollywood Town Hall!!
Angelyne has been running on a loop in my brain non stop for 24 hours now and I was wondering if any of you kind folk would be able to post it for me? I promise to go out and buy the record tomorrow (PROMISE) and forgive me for not being web/download savvy enough to really understand the concept of file sharing, but isn't it possible for someone to post an audio track these days where others can just log on and listen to it?? It'd be the Best Christmas present EVER if someone would post Angelyne for me...Many Thanks...YOU'RE THE BEST :)

Andrea
12-22-2007, 12:07 AM
I couldn't wait so I just walked over to The Virgin Megastore here on Hollywood Blvd. It wasn't in stock so I asked the clerk and he told me Rainy Day Music was Discontinued?? I didn't inquire any further so not sure if that meant the record chain discontinued carrying it or if the band discontinued distribution in some way.
I also looked for it yesterday at Ameba, our local indie store here in town when my insatiable longing to hear the record started taking over, but it was out of stock New and Used...
You guys would know better than me as I admittedly have never been Jayhawks Super fan #1, just someone who always recognized how rich and well written Gary's tunes were, but has the band adapted more of a DIY approach to selling their records where perhaps it's only available through a website or other online outlets?
Now I absolutely HAVE to hear the record or I'll go nuts :D

P.S. I have never in my life downloaded anything digitally through itunes or whatnot, but just tried several online download sites and noticed it was unavailable through those means as well...Maybe I'm missing something or did something wrong...

JoMama
12-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Hey, Can I ask someone on this board a favor? Since I realized I was loosely associated with a Jayhawks board, I just can't get the bands overly engaging melodies are out of my head and realized how my record collection sadly lacks anything but Hollywood Town Hall!!
Angelyne has been running on a loop in my brain non stop for 24 hours now and I was wondering if any of you kind folk would be able to post it for me? I promise to go out and buy the record tomorrow (PROMISE) and forgive me for not being web/download savvy enough to really understand the concept of file sharing, but isn't it possible for someone to post an audio track these days where others can just log on and listen to it?? It'd be the Best Christmas present EVER if someone would post Angelyne for me...Many Thanks...YOU'RE THE BEST :)

Here's your Christmas present, performed live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UHLrwsegKk

Here's another classic, with its own homemade video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auf7n2Jd5_g&feature=related

Andrea
12-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Here's your Christmas present, performed live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UHLrwsegKk

Here's another classic, with its own homemade video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auf7n2Jd5_g&feature=related

Yes, I've actually been sustaining myself with this same youtube clip since last night, but still long for the studio track..Thanks though :-) And Great Job on the video (if you're the one who made it :-)

illbecominhome
12-22-2007, 12:26 AM
In Gary's myspace site you have two songs out of Rainy Day Music:

http://www.myspace.com/garylouris

Andrea
12-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Yep, two Fantastic tunes...but now my longing for Angelyne is only getting increasingly stronger. Damn..sometimes managing your music obsession aint all it's cracked to be :D
I guess I've been through worse :-)

Edit Angelyne needs have been met..Thanks anyway. Cheers!

JoMama
12-22-2007, 05:00 AM
Yes, I've actually been sustaining myself with this same youtube clip since last night, but still long for the studio track..Thanks though :-) And Great Job on the video (if you're the one who made it :-)

I didn't make the video, I believe it was done by people involved with the band. It's from the early days, when, indeed, there was a certain amount of DIY involved with the band.

Glad to hear you found the song--good for you that you tried the old-fashioned record store hop.
I'm not sure why its 'discontinued' but we're seeing that more and more as the record industry doesn't want to manufacture product. They want to become a massive brain trust of songs that everyone pays to download, and ultimately, to "pay per listen" with no ability to record for personal use. They are destroying themselves with this business model, but enough DIY artists out there recognize it and continue to work to keep their music available. Kind of tough that so much effort has to go into these things outside of the realm of creating music, but that's the way it seems to be these days.

Calexico
12-22-2007, 07:01 AM
Unlucky Blondie, you won't get anyone here putting up Jayhawks albums for download and you've got a brass neck for asking to be honest.

Look, everything is available on the internet somewhere. Googlebate that.

Andrea
12-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Like I said, needs have been met. Geez..You're one angry man :eek:

Jedey
12-22-2007, 07:14 AM
I couldn't wait so I just walked over to The Virgin Megastore here on Hollywood Blvd. It wasn't in stock so I asked the clerk and he told me Rainy Day Music was Discontinued??
The Electric Fetus still has it available for order.

The Electric Fetus (http://www.electricfetus.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=227&search_menu_system=3&deptnr=17&rc=1.2%5Bsn%3D227%2Fsm%3D2%5D&sessionid=20071221102014-22758863375&sn=227&sm=2&se=153&se_153=jayhawks&se=156&se_156=&se=157&se_157=&se=154&se_154=&se=155&se_155=&se=158&se_158=&anyorall=1&availableorall=1&StartSearch.x=0&StartSearch.y=0)

JoMama
12-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Like I said, needs have been met. Geez..You're one angry man :eek:

Andrea, you're sensitive.
I like that in a songwriter.
Write a song about Cale so we can all make millions and live happily ever after.
Remember to use the code though: A D7 chord inserted in the correct place will deliver money to your door.

JoMama
12-22-2007, 07:19 AM

The Electric Fetus (http://www.electricfetus.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=227&search_menu_system=3&deptnr=17&rc=1.2%5Bsn%3D227%2Fsm%3D2%5D&sessionid=20071221102014-22758863375&sn=227&sm=2&se=153&se_153=jayhawks&se=156&se_156=&se=157&se_157=&se=154&se_154=&se=155&se_155=&se=158&se_158=&anyorall=1&availableorall=1&StartSearch.x=0&StartSearch.y=0)

That's a great little shop. I used to work there, back when there was a local band on a local label known as The Replacements and a band known as Loud Fast Rules opened up for them.
They gave out free copies of 'Blind Faith' when it first came out if you showed up at the store in the alltogether.
Great store to this day. Kind of miss 'em. [tears up]

Calexico
12-22-2007, 07:19 AM
You're one angry man :eek:

This is true.

Andrea
12-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Andrea, you're sensitive.
I like that in a songwriter.
Write a song about Cale so we can all make millions and live happily ever after.
Remember to use the code though: A D7 chord inserted in the correct place will deliver money to your door.

I'll survive :-) I actually just put the guitar down and it's a D A Em G chord progression on the new one. No lyrics yet, but as I obviously incite some sort of virtual anger in Calexico, I'll kindly think of another subject to write about Thank you :)

Thanks for the tip. Record is already on the way...

JoMama
12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I'll survive :-) I actually just put the guitar down and it's a D A Em G chord progression on the new one. No lyrics yet, but as I obviously incite some sort of virtual anger in Calexico, I'll kindly think of another subject to write about Thank you :)

You need lyrics? Oh boy, I could go all John Prine for ya. Got notebooks full of 'em but no free time to guitar them out into music form...

Jose Mourinho
12-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Unlucky Blondie, you won't get anyone here putting up Jayhawks albums for download and you've got a brass neck for asking to be honest.

The oracle?

jcarlile
12-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Andrea, well, if you really want to get it, you can get Rainy Day Music at amazon.com, used for $4.99 + shipping, as well as their other records....:rolleyes:

axeeugene
12-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Indeed, and though Calexico is a mean bastard, in this case he's right. We don't spread studio recordings around on the band's own website, *especially* to unknown newcomers, even if they do have a YouTube presence.

Celebrate the band AND support it.

Andrea
12-22-2007, 05:44 PM
For the record, (get it record), I was asking for someone to "host" the song for a few hours before I could get out to the record store and pick it up. Edit: ala one of these links I see all over the internet which are kinda foreign to this old school record collector...
It also wasn't in stock at another electronics chain on the first day when my Angelyne obsession hadn't quite yet peaked and I casually checked the "J" section over by the CD's while I waited for my laptop to be serviced. That made 3 record stores and No Rainy Day Music
I became a fan of Rock N' Roll WAY before the age of digital audio files, so am not savvy enough to understand how it all works. A high speed connection itself is a relatively new thing for me :) I had noticed however though, that todays music fan seems to post audio files all over fan boards, music blogs and the like, so thought it was just what you kids do...Believe me, Not giving Gary Louris the money he is well due for writing such great songs was never the intention. As music fans, I'm sure you all know what it's like to be obsessed with a song and having the need to hear it IMMEDIATELY before you go crazy. In my day, Tower Records was only open until midnight, so you'd had better have all of your musical needs taken care of before you ears turned into pumkins and you had to figure out a way to sit tight until they opened in the morning. And forget about when your record wasn't in stock. Now those were some hard ass times :)
And again, Happily Rainy Day music is now purchased and on the way via the US Postal Service...

You need lyrics? Oh boy, I could go all John Prine for ya. Got notebooks full of 'em but no free time to guitar them out into music form...

Thanks for the offer, but I've got so many overwhelming thoughts swimming round my head on a regular basis, that's it's best they be expressed via a catchy melody as opposed to say posting them on a message board...Message boards are best for linear concise thought. Blogs serve as great means to expand upon anything you'd publicly like to say, but a gal like myself should probably stick to wrapping them all up in a simple chord progression inspired melody as you see how I seem to rile up the natives and all :-)

Thanks for listening.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Calexico
12-23-2007, 04:45 AM
The oracle?

The special one?

Started a shit storm here I see..:o

JoMama
12-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I've got so many overwhelming thoughts swimming round my head on a regular basis, that's it's best they be expressed via a catchy melody as opposed to say posting them on a message board...Message boards are best for linear concise thought. Blogs serve as great means to expand upon anything you'd publicly like to say, but a gal like myself should probably stick to wrapping them all up in a simple chord progression inspired melody as you see how I seem to rile up the natives and all :-)
Thanks for listening.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS
You just blew a million-dollar idea to kingdom come...
Oh well, just insert that D7 chord in the right place, it's the key to the universe. An E-flat augmented 4th is also a harbinger of cool vibes.
Good luck with that ring finger though!

axeeugene
12-24-2007, 08:51 AM
linear

Uh Oh...

Calexico
12-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Uh Oh...

Happy Glacier Day!

true-k
12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Andrea;
you are the gem, in my mind, because you found our board by accident and now will be linked to the great songs of gary louris and mark olson and their various band members and other configurations.. there are so many side projects!!
Just starting at the old fashioned cd albums itself is just the tip of the pile, many shows get recorded and traded, then there's radio spots and interviews and articles and video from the past that is traded. Then there's concerts that now you will know about, current new albums being issued by gary solo, mark solo, mark and gary together, golden smog again maybe one day, then the other players works... that's why we are here, to bask in all of this.
I'm as you, not into the downloading thing and just recently have become aware of dvd's for sale of my favourite artists... (but not jayhawks, hmmmmm) figured this out just xmas shopping when I was guided by said relationship partner of desired desires... yikes, a whole new world for me at 20 to 40 bucks a pop.
Hope you keep around and go to some of the related jayhawk members shows when they pass your way, and spread the word.... our guys always need more support to keep then paying their musician lives bills.
Welcome to our gang!

Jose Mourinho
12-24-2007, 12:40 PM
We don't spread studio recordings around on the band's own website.

Yep totally agreed.
I just thought mischievous Mr C was just a tad harsh on the poor girl.
I know of some band sites where certain recordings are spread around...and maybe with that in mind she may have been trying her luck here.

JoMama
12-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Andrea;
Just starting at the old fashioned cd albums itself is just the tip of the pile, many shows get recorded and traded, then there's radio spots and interviews and articles and video from the past that is traded. Then there's concerts that now you will know about, current new albums being issued by gary solo, mark solo, mark and gary together, golden smog again maybe one day, then the other players works...

We used to have a guy go through their garbage for tossed off song fragments and other 'memorabilia'--a banana peel opened by Mr. Pearlman went for big $$ on eBay--etc...
Alas, that fella ran afoul of the law and is currently incarcerated...
But, like she says--welcome aboard this party-on-the-net!:D

greekguy
12-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Caleixco was spot on.

Just because you have a video on Youtube, it doesn't really mean people should give you free music.

I also had a laugh at the Nels comment. Like he would actually tell her that her song was crap if that is what he thought.

axeeugene
12-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I also had a laugh at the Nels comment. Like he would actually tell her that her song was crap if that is what he thought.

I dunno. If I met Jeff Tweedy and he asked me what I thought of "A Ghost is Born" and/or "Sky Blue Sky," I wouldn't hesitate to tell him how crappy I thought they were. But then, I'm a fan of him; he's not a fan of me.

And greekguy, you never would have survived if you'd driven with me this week. My parents' place has been alternately shrouded in the thickest fog I've ever seen and beset by genuine whiteout conditions. AND I braved the roads in both circumstances. It would have killed poor you :D

JoMama
12-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I dunno. If I met Jeff Tweedy and he asked me what I thought of "A Ghost is Born" and/or "Sky Blue Sky," I would turn all red and somehow squeak out the words "You're God, can I die now?" :D

Geesh, I didn't know you liked him that much!

greekguy
12-25-2007, 12:26 PM
IAnd greekguy, you never would have survived if you'd driven with me this week. My parents' place has been alternately shrouded in the thickest fog I've ever seen and beset by genuine whiteout conditions. AND I braved the roads in both circumstances. It would have killed poor you :D

Congrats on the mad driving skilz.

I am hoping to work my way up to driving in the dark soon.

Merry Christmas everyone!