PDA

View Full Version : Show in Ames, Iowa 9-22-02

LiladyK
09-24-2002, 02:23 PM
The Jayhawks at "The Maintenance Shop"
(Gary Louris, Marc Perlman, Tim O'Reagan acoustic)
Ames, Iowa
9-22-02

Setlist:

I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME
TWO HEARTS
JENNIFER (DEDICATED TO MYSTIC SPIRAL ON THIS BOARD)
LOST MY DRIVING WHEEL (cover)
TROUBLE
SETTLED DOWN LIKE RAIN
CROWDED IN THE WINGS
TAMPA TO TULSA (new)
WHAT LED ME TO THIS TOWN
HAYWIRE
BREAK IN THE CLOUDS
CLOUDS
TAILSPIN (new)
SMILE
ANGELINE (new)
AIN'T NO END
I'D RUN AWAY
SAVE IT FOR A RAINY DAY (new-previously PRETTY LITTLE HAIRDO)
BLUE

Encore:

WAITING FOR THE SUN (Gary solo)
THE SOUND OF LIES
BIG WHITE CLOUD (cover)
SISTER CRY
__________________________________________________ _
REWIND IT AND REVIEW IT....

The Maintenance Shop is a quaint little basement type room below the Student Union at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. It used to be an actual maintenance shop, now converted into a bar. The nice thing about this venue is that there is no smoking allowed, it was clean and very small and personal feeling. The stage is only about 12 inches or so off of the floor, and there were roughly two hundred folding chairs neatly arranged around the stage for us to sit on. I sat in the first row directly in front of Gary, and w/the stage being so low, for the first time, I went home from a Jayhawks show w/out a neck ache from looking straight up at the band the whole time (the price you pay for being so close).
The opening band was called "Why Make Clocks?" It was a sweet sounding alt. country band, and I enjoyed every song they played. A perfect opener for the Jayhawks. The audience seemed in shock when the lead singer introduced the band and then said something like "this first song goes out to our friend who was hit by a train yesterday". The faces on all the band members reeked w/gloom thru their entire set, but they didn't miss a beat musically. I couldn't stop thinking about how I wouldn't have been able to go on and do a show the day after a friend died.
Now, for the Jayhawks. Wow, this show was different from other Jayhawks shows that I've attended. It was kind of refreshing to have a relaxed acoustic show. I do enjoy the more rowdy Jayhawks shows of the past, and hope to attend more of them in the future. Don't get me wrong, the crowd was VERY into it, just in more of an "in awe" sort of way. It was apparent by the standing ovation for the encore, and also in between the songs there was a real letting loose of emotion from the crowd.
Some moments that stood out for me personally were the following:

1) The beautifully played acoustic version of SETTLED DOWN LIKE RAIN was almost hypnotic as I was watching Marc play this on the Mandolin. He did a little bit on it, where the picking of the strings sounded like raindrops falling! This song has special meaning to me. I am a drummer, and it was the first full song I learned to play on the drums.

2)During the show between songs, Gary asked me what town I was from and elaborated on it.

3) I couldn't help noticing that Gary's left index fingernail had been badly bruised, and being a guitarist myself, I wondered if pressing it down on the guitar frets had been painful for him.

4) Making a new friend in Mystic Spiral

5) Finally...after the show, Mystic Spiral and I hung around to ask Gary an important pressing question. WHERE IN PITTSBURGH IS THAT PRETTY GOOD SANDWICH FOR 15 AND A DIME?"
He told us "Primanti Brothers! They put french fries right on the sandwich...."

6) Mystic Spiral and I were able to get a copy of Tim's guitar cheat sheets, and a Gary Louris signature Guitar pick. She stuck around a while longer to chat more and to get an autograph. We already had autographs of the band, and pics taken w/them at previous shows, so w/an almost 2 hour drive ahead of us, and it was now 11:00 p.m., my husband and I thought we better head out the door for the drive home. We left w/big smiles on our faces, and warm memories of an unforgettable evening w/my very favorite band of all time, the Jayhawks.

:)

takemewithyou
09-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the review and setlist!

LiladyK
09-24-2002, 08:43 PM
You're welcome! Remember to :) "when you're down and out!"

norma023
09-25-2002, 03:39 PM
nice review LiladyK !!
front row 'eh ???

mystic_spiral_3
09-26-2002, 01:01 AM
Yep, front row!

Actually, the sandwich place was Primanti Brothers. =) Just in case poorlittlefish wants to try it sometime.

It was nice to meet you too LiladyK!

Sarah =)

LiladyK
09-26-2002, 08:54 AM
Whoops! You are right Mystic, he did say Primanti Brothers! I apologize. I wrote Palominos. Palomino's is another restaurant there in Pittsburgh. Right before I wrote the post, I had been looking at other restaurant reviews from a list, and had been astonished by what I read about Palomino's. Horribly frightening awful reviews! So, then, I guess I just had that name on my mind at the time, and I was kind of in a hurry to get back to work while typing... anyhoo, you can read about that "pretty good sandwich" on this site:

www.primantibros.com

Also, another error of mine....I wrote in the setlist COOL COOL WATER instead of BREAK IN THE CLOUDS. This is a very old song that the Jayhawks sang w/ Mark Olson as far back as 1990, and it was a fast paced country song at the time called COOL COOL WATER. I tend to forget that by the time the same song made the SMILE CD, the name had been changed to BREAK IN THE CLOUDS. Sorry again....

Oh, about the front row...well, I'm used to getting to the Jayhawks shows really early to reserve my upfront spot, however, I credit Mystic for getting me this particular upfront seat that night. Sometimes my 4'11'" height is seen as a handicap, and sometimes people tell me to get in front of them cuz I'm so easy to see over! (at the stand up shows). This Jayhawks show was different, there was no standing, and the fans weren't pushing to get to the front of the stage (which is what I'm used to). Maybe the fact that we actually had chairs subdued the crowd this night....I don't know.

poorlittlefish
09-26-2002, 05:12 PM
Oh so it IS Primanti's! I had actually thought that, originally, then LiladyK said Palimino's. And as a native Pittsburgher... I only just tried Primanti's a year ago. I was somewhat disappointed, only because everyone says they make the BEST sandwiches ever. It wasn't awful or anything, it was pretty good, but not the best sandwich I had ever had. But then again, I'm very picky...

mystic_spiral_3
09-29-2002, 10:31 PM
Hey, I never went to Primanti's in my 8 semesters at college in Pittsburgh so I have no idea what the food is like there.

Never heard of Palomino's.

Sarah :)