PDA

View Full Version : Golden Smog @ Webster Hall, NYC -- 9/17/06

bbop
09-18-2006, 02:12 AM
Nice opening set by Tim O'Reagan and his band, which included Jim Boquist on lead guitar. They played a couple of Tim's old Jawhawks tunes, Bottomless Cup and Tampa to Tulsa (which Boquist dedicated to Steve Wynn and Linda Pitmon). Then Marc Perlman and Stephen McCarthy joined everyone on stage for a cover of David Wiffen's "Lost My Driving Wheel," which was done many times by the Jayhawks. Tim and band also covered songs by the Everly Brothers and Stealers Wheel, among others.

Here's the GS setlist I scribbled down:

Looking Forward To Seeing You
You Make It Easy
V
To Call My Own (w/Jim Boquist)
Easy To Be Hard
Ill-Fated
5-22-02 (w/Jenny Muldaur and horns)
Cure For This (Jenny Muldaur on lead vox)
Never Felt Before (w/horns)
Starman
Frying Pan Eyes
Jennifer Save Me (w/Tim O'Reagan on drums)
Yesterday Cried
Hurricane
Won't Be Coming Home
Red-Headed Stepchild
Beautiful Mind
He's A Dick
If I Only Had A Car
Corvette (w/horns)
-------------------------------
Listen Joe (Gary solo)
Backstreet Girl (Kraig Johnson lead vox)
Until You Came Along (w/Jim Boquist, Tim O'Reagan and David Poe)
Whole Lotta Love (Joseph Arthur lead vox)
Revolution Blues (w/Jim Boquist)

illbecominhome
09-18-2006, 03:13 AM
Whole Lotta Love (Joseph Arthur lead vox)

What the #%$@???? WOW!!!

ellison
09-18-2006, 01:52 PM
thanks for the setlist. hoping to hear more about last night's show - i'm sure plenty other fanpagers were there. would have been there too if not for my two week old! :)

illbecominhome
09-18-2006, 02:18 PM
thanks for the setlist. hoping to hear more about last night's show - i'm sure plenty other fanpagers were there. would have been there too if not for my two week old! :)

I was thinking about it when I saw you online earlier!! Congrats ellison!!!!!!

zebulon
09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=bbop;116133] Tim and band also covered songs by the Everly Brothers and Stealers Wheel, among others.

Stealers Wheel! That was Gerry Rafferty´s band. And before them, The Humblebums! Great pop songs!

Thanks for the review!!!

Haggischomper
09-18-2006, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=bbop;116133] Tim and band also covered songs by the Everly Brothers and Stealers Wheel, among others.

Stealers Wheel! That was Gerry Rafferty´s band. And before them, The Humblebums! Great pop songs!

Thanks for the review!!!

The Humblebums alsi featured a certain Mr Billy Connolly who I have been featuring in my wee signature thingy of late!

And CONGRATS Ellison!

ellison
09-18-2006, 07:29 PM
thanks!

nutshell
09-19-2006, 11:04 AM
well, first of all, congratulations ellison on the baby!!! Details please! Hope you and baby are well!

So, hardly any fanpagers made it to this show at Webster Hall. Where were NY Fan? the Alts? facedown? etc.. Was happy to see bbop, and got to stand with Goody. Had to go by myself because it was a Sunday, and everyone had to work early the next day. The guys sounded great, were in good spirits, so it seemed, but I have to say the crowd to me seemed a little flat. Even Kraig mentioned how quiet everyone was at one point. Did not affect the quality of the songs thank goodness. Gary's standout was "Easy to be Hard" He said something like "I live to sing this song" It was PERFECT. never heard his voice so pure. Of course Jennifer save me was another great one, Kraig (I think) added some weird guitar atmosphere to it which was cool. Missed hearing Think about yourself. Guy at the end who sang whole lotta love was good, but let me tell ya, he's no Craig Finn!

Sadly, I missed every note of Tim's set because of the traffic....getting to the Holland Tunnel was a killer. Was crushed to hear Stephen McCarthy came up with Tim for a song. ARGHH! If anyone knows what else he is up to these days, I'd be happy to hear.

After the show there was something called the "official after party" at a bar called Rodeo something, with a "performance by Tim plus special guests". It was getting late, and i was by myself, so I hesitated to go, but then I did, and boy am I glad I did.

nutshell
09-19-2006, 11:17 AM
to continue, I went to the bar and at first no Tim/smog people were there. I actually got in my car to leave, but thought, geez, when might I get to hear Tim, and in such a small place as this? So back in, and then Tim, plus all the smog people including musical guests were there. All of them. Swear, even think I saw Craig Finn. Tim played some of his songs, which sounded great. By this time I had run into UWS from the board, who had a seat right up front at a table next to Dan Murphy. So good to see a friend to hang out with! Tim and Jim B. played, then Kraig did some songs with the whole lotta love guy (sorry don't know him) plus a girl guitar player who was excellent. Marc got up to play, but it didn't happen, Tim was told that the sound guy wanted to go home! They really needed to stop playing. If not for that, i think there would have been more, but ah well, not to be. Oh, and Jim B. did a Gram Parsons song that was terrific. He's got a great voice! Gary was there, but was busy talking with some people. All in all, it was like being in their living room. Was super, really glad I went.

girl incognito1
09-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Nurturing Rock Roots, With a Nod to New Wave
Sign In to E-Mail This Print Save

By NATE CHINEN
Published: September 19, 2006
“Don’t I know you from somewhere?”

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Rahav Segev for The New York Times
Kraig Jarret Johnson playing with Golden Smog on Sunday night.

Readers’ Opinions
Forum: Popular Music
Gary Louris impishly posed this question to a guest, Tim O’Reagan, halfway through Golden Smog’s concert on Sunday night at Webster Hall. Mr. Louris was alluding to the Jayhawks, a group he disbanded last year that featured himself on guitar and lead vocals and Mr. O’Reagan on drums. The audience, well stocked with longtime Jayhawks fans, had no problem picking up on the joke, if that’s what it was.

Golden Smog should feel like something other than a consolation prize. While it does feature three ex-Jayhawks — Mr. Louris, the bassist Marc Perlman and the guitarist Kraig Jarret Johnson — its ranks also include Dan Murphy, a guitarist formerly with Soul Asylum, and Jeff Tweedy, the lead singer of Wilco. Often pegged as an alt-country supergroup, Golden Smog traces its origins to the late-1980’s Minneapolis rock scene. Though not a continuous project over the years, it has established its own glow, as it proved recently with the album “Another Fine Day” (Lost Highway).

But Sunday’s concert had a decidedly post-Jayhawks sensibility, partly because Mr. Tweedy wasn’t there as a destabilizing force. Oddly, Mr. Louris didn’t do much to dispel this impression. Neither did Mr. O’Reagan, who — before sitting in with Golden Smog on “Jennifer Save Me,” one of the concert’s better moments — opened the show with his own band, singing and playing guitar in a set that included a couple of his songs for the Jayhawks, like “Tampa to Tulsa.”

There were moments when Golden Smog broke away from old memories, usually when someone other than Mr. Louris took the lead. “Beautiful Mind” was one strong example: it began with a warped keyboard drone and plunged into thudding darkness, with ardent lead vocals by Mr. Johnson.

“Hurricane,” composed and sung by Mr. Murphy, made the most of its new wave tumult; the band’s touring drummer, Sim Cain, pounded gleefully at his toms. On a few songs, including the breezy “5-22-02,” the band had additional help from a brass-and-saxophone section introduced by Mr. Louris as the Gowanus Horns.

Golden Smog prizes a garagelike scrappiness, even though its vocal harmonies suggest something more polished. “You know, we started out as a cover band,” Mr. Murphy pointed out just before a respectable rendition of “Starman,” by David Bowie. Other covers in the set included Three Dog Night’s “Easy to Be Hard,” the Rolling Stones’ “Backstreet Girl” and, a bit more unfortunately, Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love.”

The Stones and Zeppelin covers came as encores, after one of the quietest and most gripping moments of the show, a song called “Listen Joe” that Mr. Louris performed alone on an acoustic guitar. (On the album it’s a duet with Mr. Tweedy.)

Just before that, the full band had romped through “Corvette,” a tune written for a car commercial. “The dream is never over,” Mr. Louris sang in a power-pop chorus, and it wasn’t hard to picture the Jayhawks fans in the crowd wanting to take him at his word.

Golden Smog and Tim O’Reagan perform tonight at the Vic Theater in Chicago.

girl incognito1
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM
I was thinking about it when I saw you online earlier!! Congrats ellison!!!!!!

Congrats Ellison on the new baby. :D