View Full Version : Golden Smog Descends On Philly 9-16-06

09-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I've got so much to say you'll probably tell me to shut the hell up but I have NEVER seen a better show, EVER! :D :cool:

Although the crowd was kind of thin when Tim played, they (we) were enthusiastic and made a hell of a lot of appreciative noise for him. Jim Boquist was also such a treat to see (and chat with later!) and of course the highlights were Bottomless Cup, Tampa, and Driving Wheel. Tim was funny when he screwed up, saying "oops" everytime he did. I never would have known or cared, the little mistakes are part of the fun. Tim and the rest of his band seemed to enjoy being there, and I know we all loved having them.

Waiting for GS to come out, I got to talking to a few of the people around me, including the photographer, Jim, who was a great guy. When he got finished shooting after the first few GS songs and moved he pulled me into his primo spot smash up against the stage. Thanks Jim! Also met a couple of great guys from Jersey who let me in front of them earlier, Jersey Jim (brand new fanpager as of today!) and Dan. We had a blast. My 3 friends stayed up in the balcony in seats and watched me make a spectacle of myself. Although I was not as big a spectacle as Micah, who came in from Scranton and will hopefully be a new fanpager too. The crowd was great, no pushing, just everyone being cool and having a good time.

The set list didn't vary much from the other shows, my only disappointment, as someone else said on the DC show was that AFD was taken off the set list. That's a highlight for me from the new album, so I was bummed. But, that aside, I couldn't have asked for more. Here's the set list:

1 Looking Forward
2 You Make it Easy
3 V
4 To Call My Own (Boquist joining in)
5 Easy to be Hard
6 Ill Fated
7 5-22-02
8 Never Felt Before
9 Star Man
10 Frying Pan Eyes
11 Jennifer Save Me (with Tim)
12 Yesterday Cry
13 Hurricane
14 Won't Be Coming Home
15 Red Headed Step Child
16 Beautiful Mind
17 He's A Dick
18 If I Only Had a Car
19 Corvette
20 Listen Joe (Gary Solo)
21 Revolution Blues
22 Until You Came Along

So many great moments I don't know where to start. Gary made Star Man his own, I loved it more than I thought I would. Jennifer, which is one of my all time favorites, was incredible to hear live again with Tim on drums. FPE, Hurricane, Red Head, Beautiful Mind, Corvette rocked like nothing I'd ever seen or heard in my life. Remember, I'm right up front, between Kraig and Dan, who were superb. Dan is unbelievable, and Kraig has a great voice as well. Marc was smiling in the back from time to time, a few of us noticed and commented later. There was banter all around, Gary messed up Kraig's hair, and they all seemed to be having a great time. Gary was drinking Corona. Heard about Shauser.

Best of all was Until You came Along. Both bands took the stage, and the audience, which had expanded a bit, sang every word along with all of them. It was really amazing, and I hope all of you who go get to see it like I did.

About 2 dozen of us hung around waiting to see if anyone would come out until we got kicked out, so a few of us resourceful ones hung out in the stinky fish smelling alley (the Trocadero is in China Town, next to a stinky fish shop). It was worth the wait. There were a few people who flew in from Atlanta, and the Scranton folks, and myself with my friends who just got a kick out of the rest of us. I got to meet everyone except for Tim and Kraig. Jim Boquist was happy to chat with me and sign my set list, as was Dan Murphy although he had somewhere to go. I was thrilled to finally meet Marc, and he couldn't have been friendlier. Chatted with us, took pictures, signed CD's just a great guy. Gary of course, was friendly and gracious as always, took his time with all of us (there were only maybe 8 of us at that point). He remembered me from up front (I waved, I know, so uncool). He said that he's going to write more with the Dixie Chicks, for a movie they're doing, and that he and Marc were going to start on the new record in January. He also said he "tied one on" in DC. the night before, he said he was tired but I never would have known it.

Just a few more things...Phil, the keyboard player said that Philly was the best crowd yet on the tour and those of us still around were thrilled to hear it. We're so proud of ourselves.
A couple of us got pictures with Gary and Marc (watch for my new and way cooler avatar).

I went to bed with a big smile on my face and I still can't wipe it off.

Thanks for indulging me, hope I didn't lose too many of you. I sort of want a record of this for myself too. It was one of the best nights of my life.

Have fun the rest of you when your turn comes!!!

PS I didn't miss Tweedy, although he will be at the Chicago show, confirmed by the guys last night!

09-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the fantastic review GG!!! Glad you had so much fun!

09-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Sounds like a perfect night. Please post them pics, thanks!

09-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Great review GG! Love to see those pics if you got 'em!

09-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Yeah!! can't wait till my turn comes:p Nice that you had a great show and hope to see those pics:)

girl incognito1
09-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Golden Smog

Since Golden Smog's first release in 1992, its casual mutability has been a given. Members of Soul Asylum, the Replacements, Wilco, the Jayhawks, Run Westy Run, the Honeydogs and Big Star have been in the lineup over the years, transporting the group from a just-for-kicks cover band to an impressive addition to the roots-rock scene.

Friday night at the 9:30 club, it was evident that the absence of arguably the most super member of this supergroup, Jeff Tweedy -- who declined to join the tour and was minimally involved in recording this year's release, "Another Fine Day" -- didn't compromise the Smog's performance. Ticket sales, however? Well, maybe fans were saving their bucks for the upcoming Wilco show.

Instead, Dan Murphy, Gary Louris, Marc Perlman and Kraig Johnson took the stage to entertain the approximately three-quarters-capacity crowd, joined by former Rollins Band drummer Sim Cain (whom Louris, in the band's not-to-worry fashion, hadn't even met before the tour began).

The five, with guests including opener Tim O'Reagan, offered a set that represented the genres the group has toyed with, from old-country (a cover of Jerry Jeff Walker's "Dang Me") to pop ("To Call My Own" -- remarkably performed with four guitarists) to their latest album's rockers ("Hurricane," "Frying Pan Eyes"). With members wandering offstage -- including Murphy, who oddly returned mid-song and strolled back to his position, singing along with drink in hand -- the show had the charming feel of a band practice. Considering the group's fun-fueled genesis, that seemed just about right.

-- Tricia Olszewski

Jersey Jimbo
09-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Hello Board!

I concur with the review provided by GG - especially as I was standing right behind her! Really just a great band making for a great night. It is so nice to be able to witness a band making music not for the money, but for the shear love of what they're doing. Wish there could have been more people there for them (they deserve it) but it was a very supportive and appreciate audience. Song selection was great - missed a few favorites that I'm guessing are Tweedy tunes. One small things was that the vocals were not cutting through the mix - especially Dan's - could have been my position close to the stage. Troc is a great place to see a show - had a balcony section for those who chose to sit - I would not hesitate to see another show there.

Also had the pleasure of meeting GG's no longer GS-virgin friends - very lovely and personable young ladies surpassed only by GG herself who is absolutely adorable.

09-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Hello Board!

Hello JJ!

09-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the fantastic review GG!!! Glad you had so much fun!

Ah, but that's why she's a goddess...
Wonderful writin', keep it up, and keep on sellin' folks them rutabagas, turnips and radish too y'all--it's the time, of the season...:confused:

09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Gee, thanks Jo and Jimbo! I'm blushing!

I have a couple of pics of Marc and I on my new camera, I still have to figure how to get them out. I'll work on it later.

I'm waiting for another guy to e mail me the pics he took of Gary, Marc and I. My camera wasn't doing such a good job. I'm getting worried...but his camera was new too, and maybe he's still trying to figure it out.

Well, I'm off to deal with the spinach crisis.....

09-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the review, GG. I'm so pissed I had to be out of town that weekend and missed it. The "Until You Came Along" sing-along fest must have been awesome!

09-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Oh, Anodyne, NO WAY!! Thought sure you'd be there. Next time....

09-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the review, GG. I'm so pissed I had to be out of town that weekend and missed it. The "Until You Came Along" sing-along fest must have been awesome!

So sorry you missed it too! I was really glad the show was next weekend. Had it been over the next 2 weekends, I'd have been gone-I'm leaving for Italy tomorrow, no way I could reschedule that!

09-22-2006, 03:08 PM
So sorry you missed it too! I was really glad the show was next weekend. Had it been over the next 2 weekends, I'd have been gone-I'm leaving for Italy tomorrow, no way I could reschedule that!

Wherebouts in Italy are you going GG? I may be visiting Firenze next November :)

09-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Wherebouts in Italy are you going GG? I may be visiting Firenze next November :)

I'm off to visit relatives in Rome, my dad's already over there with my aunt and uncle. Six of us are flying over tomorrow. Later in the week we're going to Abruzzi, to the town my grandparents came from. I've been there before, and it's lovely. We'll stay in the house my grandfather grew up in. They have this big chef's head at the top of the main street going into town, it's hilarious. I call him Chef Boyardee. Many of Italy's top chefs came from that village, in fact even now a couple of cousins are chefs in various embassies in Rome, one has a restaurant in Milan, and another is a chef at the Finnish embassy in Canada.

I went to Firenze 4 years ago, all I can say is if you like art at all, don't miss the Uffizi Gallery. I wish I would have had the time to go twice, there is so much to see. Of course all of the outdoor sites, just walking around the city is wonderful too. I'm a country girl though, after a day or two in any city I'm ready to get out!

09-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Great review GG! Love to see those pics if you got 'em!

I thought I was GG. What gives?

09-28-2006, 04:58 AM
I thought I was GG. What gives?

You have been supplanted. By someone with boobs.(I think)

Jersey Jimbo
10-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, I can confirm that the goddess does have boobs!

10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Wow! I've been gone all week and come back to find out that my boobs have insulted Greek Guy all the way from Italy!!! :eek: :D

10-02-2006, 07:28 PM
It's a small world and it just keeps getting smaller.