PDA

View Full Version : Tim O'Reagan at Schubas 8/10/06

jcarlile
08-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Here's my "so-called review" of last night's show. Tim and band were very good, although I think he had a bit of the jitters at first, even joking at one point about he belongs back there (at the drums), but I think he handled the night well. They had a lot of tech difficulties and turning after almost every song. He said next tour he'd have to have a guitar tech along......I didn't keep at setlist, but picked up one after the show. Wish the show had been better attended, probably about 75 there. I guess for a Thurs. night it was pretty good. They had set up tables along each side of the room which were all full and some people stood in the center but back from the stage, giving it the illusion of not that many people there. He was well received though and got vigorous applause. He didn't play every song on the setlist, but from the CD the ones I do know he played were:

Black and Blue
Highway Flowers
Plaything
Anybody's Only
Girl/World
These Things
River Bends

I don't think he played Just Like You, but I may be wrong ;) He also did Drivin' Wheel and Bottomless Cup and Tampa to Tulsa which got the most applause naturally..... I don't know who Alan Oelschlager (sp) is, but he did a couple songs written by him. They were pretty rocking ones too. Jim Boquist sang one of his songs, but don't know the name. He did some covers, but I didn't know who they were by. You know, Jim B. brings so much to this band! I always enjoy watching Jim play... The show lasted right around 1 hr and 25 min.

Here's what was on the "official" setlist:

Gone
Black n Blue
Hiway Flowers
Pictures of Dad
Just Like You
Happy Man
Drivin Wheel
Star
Plaything
Anybody's Only
Girl/World
Bottomnless Cup
Why
Pags ??
These Things
-----------------
Riverbends
Tampa/Tulsa
Stranger
Rain
Train Leaves
Everything
================

It was soooo nice to see Tim again. It felt like greeting an old friend and hugs abounded... ;) Yes, Ed, I explained to Tim why you weren't there and he thanked me for letting him know. I also explained Sandy's absence..... We talked to Tim a little bit before and more after the show. He's very glad to get this first show under his belt. He was happy to be playing Chicago, said he always can count on Chicago. He'll be back in Oct at Old Town opening for the Cowboy Junkies. I think a lot of people who hung around after the show were asking him when he'd be back as he came over and asked me exactly the name of the place (Old Town) he was going to be at. So hopefully more people will come to that one. Talked to Jim a bit too and while we were, Gary Scheppers came up and started talking to Jim. For those that don't know Gary, he's a Chicago soundman (don't know if he was at the soundboard or not) that works a lot of clubs and the guy that they had a bunch of benefit shows for back in the winter. He had come down with a pretty bad ailment, I think that flesh-eating bacteria if I remember correctly, but now he looks good and said he was doing well. Oh, and Pete Anderson is such a nice guy. Talked to him a lot after and he even gave us a copy of a CD that he, Marc P. and Ed Ackerson played on and Ed produced. It's called "Solid Earth and Gold", artist is Annette Summersett. Haven't listened yet, but it was nice to get.

Well, hope I haven't bored you all to death. Sorry about the length. I hope everyone who can gets out to support Tim on this tour. You can tell he's very proud of this record as he should be. I think you'll enjoy it very much as will Tim .......... Joyce

I did take some pics, but I can't figure out how to resize and upload them....duh...:mad:

crowsghost
08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the review, Gary's Mom :)

jcarlile
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the review, Gary's Mom :)

NOT!! :eek: :p

crowsghost
08-11-2006, 09:48 AM
:rolleyes:

crowsghost
08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
And that was a fine review btw

Tell me though, did Icehaid get too drunk? :D

jcarlile
08-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Well, maybe you should have been there! Oh, wait, I forgot, Mark Olson wasn't playing........:p Now, why don't you just shut up for once! :mad:

crowsghost
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
OK, If Gary's mom is gonna tell me to shut up then I'll shut up.

(What did I ever say though that was so bad? What? Seriously...) :cool:

jcarlile
08-11-2006, 10:15 AM
just a response based on your accumulated past history I guess.............

If anyone else has any comments, please get this thread back on track....

crowsghost
08-11-2006, 10:16 AM
just a response based on your accumulated past history I guess.............

Fair enough, the last thing I would've wanted to do here is offend you, Gary's mom.

If I did offend you, I'm sorry.

Icehaid
08-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Here's my "so-called review" of last night's show.

<SNIP>

Well, hope I haven't bored you all to death. Sorry about the length. I hope everyone who can gets out to support Tim on this tour. You can tell he's very proud of this record as he should be. I think you'll enjoy it very much as will Tim .......... Joyce

Nice Joyce, thanks!! Sorry I missed you guys.

Icehaid
08-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Fair enough, the last thing I would've wanted to do here is offend you, Gary's mom.

If I did offend you, I'm sorry.

Stop being a twit. Joyce is a great fan and a fine person. Plus, I'm certain she could also kick the crap out of you.

Icehaid
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
And that was a fine review btw

Actually, I was mainlining crack. Booze just doesn't have that punch, ya know?

Angelyne
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Beautiful review, Joyce, as always. I'm so glad that he got such a great crowd response. Loved that he broke out Driving Wheel.

You can send me your pics (via email) and I can try to resize them for you?

Haggischomper
08-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice one, Joyce! As ever, yer stamina amazes me. The Waits was the night before Tim's show and I STILL haven't written the review for Jony yet - too damned hyped yet. Looks like I am Too Old To Rock n' Roll.

J.P.
08-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Great review Joyce,thanks!!

J.P.

illbecominhome
08-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Thannks for sharing with us Joyce!

Bryn
08-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Thanks Joyce. Great work.:)

poorlittlefish
08-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Great review, Joyce. I can't wait for the Pittsburgh show!

axeeugene
08-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Besides, Joyce, everyone knows you're TIM'S mom, anyway :)

Very nice review, too. I always love reading your show reactions; they are beautiful personal responses that give readers a true sense of having been there. They're better than mine, surely!

I'm telling you, Joyce...IGNORE! It's so peaceful!

Lenno
08-12-2006, 03:20 PM
If someones messes with Joyce they're messing with me. Cut it out!

Thanks for the review Joyce.

Thor_of_Mpls
08-12-2006, 05:07 PM
A great review from one of the great people on this board! Thanks for the insights. Your writing is like colors. I like how you can add the emotional feel to the facts as they occured. I like how you display intelligence in your writing...an attribute lacking in some of us. Like those around here who drone on again and again and again about the same thing that was boring and obnoxious to begin with. You know...the strings that make you feel like you're sitting in the dentist's chair, under the drill, sans novicane? Writing is a reflection of the person Joyce...Your writing is soft, kind, and touching.

CaffeineZombie
08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
yes, the Axe-man is correct, Joyce and her brother Jerry have also been called Tim O'Reagan's parents ;) :p heheheeeee

Thanks for the review, sounds like a good time.

"Gone, Gone Gone" = Everly Brothers cover

"Star" = Stealers Wheel cover

Tim told me at the Electric Fetus in-store last month that "Pictures of Dad" is one of those songs written by that Alan (can't think of his last name) fella, he's a songwriter from Topeka. One of the highlights of that in-store performance, and also at the debut of Tim's band at the Arcadia Cafe "DEMO" showcase back in March. I hope he records that one!

girl incognito1
08-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks Joyce for the review of Tim's show!!! The hubby really loves Tim's music and is sad that he's missing the shows. Glad I influenced his musical tastes as of late!!!! (he plays both Tim's cd and Elliott Smith's From the Basement on the Hill all the time) :cool: :D

LiladyK
08-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Yes, nice, thanks Joyce.....75 there? That's not 'too bad' really perspectively speaking. I felt worse for Mark, going to one of Mark's shows in the middle of the week in Iowa City, and there's only about half that amount of people there! (That particular show was NOT advertised though, and it was kind of a last minute thing.)

Oh well. We love 'em. We have a great time all the time.

Sounds like a great show. :)