PDA

View Full Version : Handsome Family

Calexico
06-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Any fans here of Brett and Rennie's take on roots music? Been a fan here myself for several years since Through The Trees was released in 1998 or so.

Just listening to their most recent release called Last Days Of Wonder and it is great. Maintains the quality of previous releases without a doubt. How many people these days wrote songs about Nicolai Tesla?:)

Calexico
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Some tour dates confirmed as well. They really are great to hear live. They are not Guns 'n' Roses but thank goodness eh?

CONFIRMED DATES:
7/10 - Minneapolis at the 400 Bar
7/11 - Milwaukee at Shank Hall
7/13 - Chicago at Abbey Pub
7/14 - Detroit at Magic Stick
7/15 - Toronto at the Horseshoe Tavern
7/18 - Boston at TT the Bears
7/20 - NYC at the Mercury Lounge
7/21 - Philadelphia at the World Café Live
7/22 - Arlington at the Iota
7/23 - Charlottesville at the Starr Hill Music Hall
7/24 - Carrboro at Local 506
7/26 - Atlanta at the Earl

hellaciousc
06-23-2006, 03:00 PM
i'm vacationing back in my hometown of charlottesville virginia this summer, which is typically pretty boring, but just last night saw that the handsome family was going to be there (w/ the guy from the meat puppets opening up). i'm SO there.

i sent out the emails this AM telling all my friends in cville to be ready for it.

never seen them before. looking fwd to it.

(i don't know who nicolai tesla is, but i loved 'love song')

axeeugene
06-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by hellaciousc
i'm vacationing back in my hometown of charlottesville virginia this summer, which is typically pretty boring

<SNIP>

(i don't know who nicolai tesla is, but i loved 'love song')

A friend of mine and his wife live in rural VA not terrbly far from Charlottesville, and when I went to visit a few years ago, he said, "Axeeugene, you're going to love Charlortesville, because in Albemarle County there is no God, only Thomas Jefferson." I thought that was pretty insightful. And on my visit, I must say I enjoyed myself thoroughly. It doesn't seem like such a bad place to be. A little sleepy, maybe, but in a good way. So, what, had enough of Monticello already, have you? :D

Nicola Tesla invented the Tesla Coil (imagine that!). He was an Autro-Hungarian who is known as the Master of Lightning. And if memory serves correctly, he was also a bit of a paranormal/supernaturalist. But he gave us a good handle on electricity, so you know, he's got that going for him.

hellaciousc
06-23-2006, 05:55 PM
cville isn't too bad of a town. a bit too many yuppies for my liking--it used to be a mix of good ole boys and yuppies. now its mostly yuppies.

it's a nice place though. its just that i spent the first 30 years of my life there before moving to Austin TX last year.

and Austin? Austin rocks so hard.

but i got friends and family in cville.
and no 9 to 5 job keepin me here for the summer.
so it's back for birthdays and engagements, and hanging.

it's actually not so bad. they just built an outdoor amphitheater (right before i left actually) and there's some good shows there while i'm home---dwight yoakam, lyle lovett, ryan adams, big head todd, etc. problem is, like everything else in town, it's drastically overrpriced. all shows are at least $30. i'm gonna drive 50 miles down the road and see the same dwight yoakam show for $10. $10....that's a good deal.

interesting about nicolai tesla.
i just knew the hair metal band.

i must go pull out The Great Radio Controversy right now.

Haggischomper
06-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by hellaciousc
interesting about nicolai tesla.
i just knew the hair metal band.

i must go pull out The Great Radio Controversy right now.

Tesla were a great wee band, more akin to the likes of UFO and Thin Lizzy than any of that crap Yank hair-metall stuff. I even once missed seeing the Black Crowes in Edinburgh (where Chris Robinson jumped into the crowed and thumped a heckler) to see Tesla play to a half-empty Glasgow Barrowland. GREAT gig. Their first two albums were sheer class.

As for the Handsome Family. I can take them or leave them. At first, I took them but now I have left them. They wore a bit thin for me. I had an album that was some sorta compilation I think - they had a great song about suicide the title of which escapes me. Didn't love it enough to keep it.

Bryn
06-23-2006, 10:57 PM
OK people. I just can't let the mention of Nicola Tesla pass by without some sort of input. This guy is the greatest victim of American revisionist history ever. He is responsible for the invention of so much that made the advances of the twentieth century possible but has been virtually written out of history.:mad: At least read this about teh man and get a bit edumacated peeps.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

Anodyne
06-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Cale, thanks for those dates. I didn't know the Handsome Family were going to play my city in July. I love them. It's true; how many bands do write about Nicolai Tesla, or Ben Franklin, for that matter.

I think they're an acquired taste, kind of like William Faulkner.

Calexico
06-24-2006, 04:46 AM
I think they probably are an acquired taste and I must admit I have to be in the mood to listen to them but when I am there's none better at what they do. Rennie is hot too.

Jedey
06-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Bryn
OK people. I just can't let the mention of Nicola Tesla pass by without some sort of input. This guy is the greatest victim of American revisionist history ever. He is responsible for the invention of so much that made the advances of the twentieth century possible but has been virtually written out of history.:mad: At least read this about teh man and get a bit edumacated peeps.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla Tesla was way ahead of his time. He got into an argument with Edison over AC/DC. Tesla won the fight but was written out of history for going against Edison. Edison was a bad Mudder Folker.

Calexico
06-24-2006, 07:03 AM
I bet it was a Bon Scott vs Brian Johnston debate too!

Jedey
06-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Tesla was a Bon Scott kinda guy.:p

Bryn
06-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Tesla was a Croat;)

Calexico
06-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Bryn
Tesla was a Croat;)

What is it with you and the Croatians? You got the horn for them or what?:p

Bryn