PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow Ferry Gig 10/05/2003

JockHawk
05-12-2003, 03:40 AM
Fantastic gig here on Saturday night. We were late getting through from Edinburgh, really bad accident on the M8. Missed David Poe who went down very well apparantly. Anyhow got in , got a beer, got to the front and the band came on!, superb.
I'm not going to go into set lists as it will be similar to other gigs on this tour.
The Ferry is an old Ferry boat now moored in the River Clyde and it is a small but very intimate venue and it was stowed to the gunnels. With Tim and Marc sitting down, you could really only see Gary for most of the time.
The sound was pretty good and Gary's voice was as sweet as a nut, the harmonies were awesome and the new material went down really well.
Seeing Gary do lead guitar solos on an acoustic was something else!.
They did about seven songs from RDM, including a great version of Angelyne, a few from Smile and SOL and a few others from the back issues. I'm sure that someone will come on with a set list but is that really important.
The crowd were well up for the gig and the place rocked when David Poe came on for Tailspin.
In all they played about one hour and 40 mins and not a duff moment at all. The only spoiler for me was two idiots in front of me who spent the entire gig flicking elastic bands at Gary, not dangerous but it could have put the guy off and spoilt our night.
Still I managed to quietly spill beer all over the guys jacket as some sort of retribution.
In all superb gig, loved it and listened to Womens Club CD on the car all the long way back home in horrendous rain.
This was the last date of the acoustic tour, i so hope they will be back with the full electric tour soon.:D

LiladyK
05-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by JockHawk

I'm not going to go into set lists as it will be similar to other gigs on this tour.
I'm sure that someone will come on with a set list but is that really important.

The only spoiler for me was two idiots in front of me who spent the entire gig flicking elastic bands at Gary, not dangerous but it could have put the guy off and spoilt our night.
Still I managed to quietly spill beer all over the guys jacket as some sort of retribution.

Well, yes, every setlist IS important. It lets us see how things change and evolve over the years in the band when we document them and look back. If no one provides us w/ a correct setlist list to a show, then it's like that part of history gets buried in a treasure chest that we wish we could dig up, but we can't.

But, what's w/the elastic geeks? Good for you for the beer spewage...however, hard to believe NO ONE said or did anything else to them.
I've heard stories of similiar things like this before when wrong things are done and no one says or does anything. I guess I'm just so intolerant and so 'not shy or afraid' of people in these situations. Then when I finally take the initiative and do something about it, everyone later is so openly grateful to me, sayin' stuff to me like "thank God you said something about it!" but I'm thinkin' 'what the hell?' Why does it take MY rebellious boldness to stop an injustice?? Am I the only one??

I'd have had NO problem at all verbally confronting those guys from the very first throw.

Not even one of the guys in the band said anything?? And this was going on for the entire gig?? Reading this in your post really kinda blew my mind. How disrespectful:confused:

JockHawk
05-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Sorry Lillady K. Here's what they played in no set order I'm afraid.
Crowded in the Wings
Angelyne
Tampa to Tulsa
Tailspin
One man's Problem
Save it For a Rainy day
All Right Reasons(Gary solo)
I'd run away
Waiting for the Sun
Smile
Two hearts
Haywire
Bad Time
Bottomless Cup
Buffalo Springfield Cover
Another cover I missed the name of
Some of these were repeated for the encore.
There was barely enough room to drink a beer let alone write notes.
The two idiots aim wasn't that good most of them fell short of the stage. It was weird they just clapped and cheered like everyone else but kept pointing their index finger at Gary and flicking bands in his direction. A real pair of numpties with two jackets soaked in beer to go home in.:p

Haggischomper
05-12-2003, 09:20 AM
That annoys me. Me and my mate couldn't get tix but those 2 rubberband-flicking bawbags could? Not happy.....

LiladyK
05-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the update JockHawk...

They repeated some songs for the encore? Played the same song twice? I don't recall them ever doing that before.....

Wonder if the B.S. cover was "Expecting To Fly"

Looking forward to a fresh setlist for the plugged in gigs....:cool:

Haggischomper
05-12-2003, 09:21 AM
WAIT! I bet one was Mark Olson and the other was Glacier55....

JockHawk
05-12-2003, 09:39 AM
LilladyK, sorry again about the repeats but I'm sure Gary did one again on his solo encore , maybe Waiting for the Sun.
Anyway I've had a think and new numbers spring to mind
Sister Cry
Take me with you
Man who loved life
Dying on the vine
Trouble
I'm gonna make you love me.

Classic quote from Gary. The venue has a tin roof and as the rain was belting down it made a very audible noise.
"is that someone trying to shuush me?" Gary then later
"Will someone turn that blender off".

christine
05-12-2003, 10:24 AM
i had an entirely different view from you. i was on the balcony looking at the band side on.

was indeed a superb show. arrived in tow with my boyfriend who didnt like them, and who has since downloaded some songs. he said im good at spotting a good live show. and that is very true!

the first couple of songs in the encore were gary solo, one of which was a request that wasnt on the setlist. it was a lovely song, but i dont know the name. Jockhawk, can you remember it?

there were two women behind me who insisted on talking right the way through david poe, which was pissing me of. the talking was quite obviously annoying david, as he told everyone so!

JockHawk
05-12-2003, 10:32 AM
No idea Christine. We seemed to have all the pumpkin headed giants in front of us, including a couple of musos, who were constantly telling each other which chords they were playing. Maybe the balcony would have been a better choice. Didn't detract from the gig though...superb.
Glad yer man liked it!!!

LiladyK
05-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by christine

there were two women behind me who insisted on talking right the way through david poe, which was pissing me of. the talking was quite obviously annoying david, as he told everyone so!

You said David Poe told everyone how the talking was bothering him....that reminds me of an old Neil Young show recording I have from Boston, 1971. My husband Scott gets such a kick out of it, that he sometimes pulls out this show of mine, just to hear Neil b*tch out the talkers in the audience.

It happens in the middle of the first song called ON THE WAY HOME.... he just stops playing and says something like.."shut up! just shut up! I'm not in any kind of mood to take this, and if you don't shut up, then I'll just split, alright?.....". The audience then applauds.

What a cool moment to have a recording of:cool:

gordon bell
05-12-2003, 05:07 PM
David poe was brill.
Dont forget the encore of Reason to Believe....a highlight.

smog
05-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Yes the BS cover was 'Expecting To Fly' and it was one of my favourites on the night, 'Reason To Believe' was also a cracker.
Christine not sure what song you are referring to, although Gary did say 'Bad Time' was not on the set list (don't think he played it all) but it was great to here it again. I was very surprised to hear 'Dying On The Vine' which is my fav. track SOL. Must admit I can not recall hearing them play 'Sister Cry' ? Anyway a stunning night and I like David Poe and thought he made a good impact when he played with the JHaWKS especially on 'Tailspin' which was awesome !:) :) :)
________
Peach (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Peach/)

happy snapper
05-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Yes, the Glasgow Ferry rocked at the quayside. The rain was nearly as loud as the band. But the gig was pure magic. David Poe started the show, I found his songs nice but not brilliant, but nice, and he was first class at talking to and holding an audiences attention, in turn gave him respect. But when the big band came on stage, all 3 of them, the punters gave them a very warm reception. The night went from strength to strength. And a great time had by all.

JockHawk
05-14-2003, 03:01 AM
Hey Smog, another boy fae the toon. I'm a Dunfermline man myself but been over here in Edinburgh for too long. Glad you enjoyed the gig.

Colin_B
05-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Would like to say what a show. The first time i have seen them, but hopefully not the last. Travelled up from Newcastle, well worth the trip. Could have done with a T-shirt though!
I wish people who chat on constantly would just leave(could say something else) as it spoils the show for everyone.

Haggischomper
05-16-2003, 05:12 AM
A depressed young Paisley woman was so desperate that she
decided to end her life by throwing herself into the Clyde.
When she went down the docks, a handsome young sailor noticed
her tears and took pity on her.

"Look, you've got a lot to live for", he said. "I'm off to America
in the morning, and if you like, I can stow you away on my ship.
I'll take good care of you and bring you food every day". Moving
closer, he slipped his arm around her shoulder and added, "I'll keep
you happy, and you'll keep me happy".

The girl nodded. After all, what did she have to lose? That night,
the sailor brought her aboard and hid her in a lifeboat. From then on,
every night he brought her three sandwiches and a piece of fruit and
they made passionate love until dawn.

Three weeks later during a routine search, the captain discovered her.
"What are you doing here?" the captain asked.
"I have an arrangement with one of the sailors", she explained. "He's
taking me to America, and he's feeding me".
"What are you doing for him?" said the captain.
"He's screwing me" said the girl.
"He certainly is," replied the captain.
"This is the Renfrew ferry".

happy snapper
05-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Ferry good

smog
05-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Yes very good Mr Haggischomper ! Sorry I am not really a 'Townie' although I have lived in Fife for the last 28 years (originally from deepest Devon - Torquay in Fact).
A confirmed Jayhawks fan since seeing them in Glasgow at the Garage in '95 with Wilco supporting. Also big Wilco fan (seen them & the Hawks 4 times now each). Still like Mr Olsen and saw him earlier this year in Glasgow with Victoria and it was a fine show. I like loads of differnent stuff but I recon the Jayhawks are my favourite American band. Also a big Teenage Fanclub fan !:)
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

phoenix jayhawk
05-17-2003, 12:07 AM
i must say that i am most entertained by our jayhawk brethren on the east side of the pond. i am learning such slang and vernacular that i may finally understand what is spoken in some high-quality movies (eg: sexy beast, lock stock and two smoking barrels, et cetera). although i must admit that "bollocks" is still a mystery. seems to be many meanings.

Colin_B
05-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Bollocks= a load of balls(testicles)
:D

Haggischomper
05-17-2003, 04:07 PM
but the dogs bollocks = very good.

JockHawk
05-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Someone has just pointed out that the mysterious cover the did at the Ferry gig was Rod Stewart's Reason to Believe?
Ya hoor sir I'm fae Fife ye ken.

Laura
05-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Reason to Believe by Rod Stewart is a remake.

smog
05-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Of a Tim Hardin song !:)
________
Buy a new condo in Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Laura
05-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Very good!!!