PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield, UK Gig 09/05

rhythm
05-10-2003, 12:05 PM
It's the first time I've been to Sheffield, but the old-style (almost school-like) all-seater venue (Memorial Hall) was well suited to the acoustic set-up, creating a more intimate atmosphere. I think it was pretty much sold-out, and the band were in excellent form. As with any gigs outside of London, we didn't get the extra-special guests (such as Matthew Sweet and Pete Droge).

David Poe supplied the support and did a decent enough job. It was the first time I'd heard him, and he got an OK reaction from the crowd (I think he sold a few CDs afterwards). Of course, that was partially because he did a good job backing the Jayhawks up on about 3 songs. Perhaps it might be an idea for the Jayhawks to recruit him into the band because he fit in very well, adding a balancing middle harmony to Tim's deep and Gary's high. Gary even came up with a little 'David Poe' jingle which he kept playing every time he came out to join them. I think Gary was quite happy with the jingle - maybe he'll turn it into a song?!

The Jayhawks opened with Crowded in the Wings, followed by Angelyne, with Marc on Mandolin and Tim on Acoustic guitar. Angelyne sounded even better live, and like the other 'new' tracks, was a stand-out. Gary said something about Sheffield being a nice place, and a few disgruntled locals muttered their disagreement, which I think amused Gary.

The band really kicked in and clicked when Tim got behind the drums and David Poe came out to supply a third harmony. Off the new album, they did Angelyne, Tampa to Tulsa, Tailspin - which was outstanding, One Man's Problem (which keeps getting better and better), Save it for a Rainy Day, and a Gary solo of All the Right Reasons. Strangely and slightly disappointingly, they didn't play Stumbling through the Dark - perhaps they think because its twice on the album they don't need to play it live too often?!

In with the new stuff they also played (roughly in order as I don't have a set list): I'd Run Away, Bottomless Cup (Tim singing), Trouble, I'm Gonna Make you Love Me, Haywire, Blue. Gary came on and did three songs solo: a superb Waiting for the Sun, an audience request Broken Harpoon which he'd nearly forgotten how to play. He got to the second verse and spoke/sang "how does it go again" or something like that. It was still good to hear something a bit out of the ordinary. He did All the Right Reasons before Tim and Marc came back out. They finished with a Buffalo Springfield cover and Smile. Of course, I may have forgotten a few because I was quite drunk (suffering the consequences today).

So an excellent gig with a few omissions, which is always going to happen when you've written as many quality songs as the Jayhawks. Gary also mentioned about these being the last acoustic performances and the fact they were going back to the full band, electric set-up, which should sound even better now they've honed their performing skills with the acoustic performances. I just hope they do a fuller tour, taking in a city in the midlands.

Cheers.

JayB
05-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by rhythm
Gary said something about Sheffield being a nice place, and a few disgruntled locals muttered their disagreement, which I think amused Gary.

Hehehehe....

Great review, thanks! Sounds like a good night.

hotpot
05-12-2003, 05:06 AM
It was my first ever Jayhawks gig, and I thought it was brilliant. The venue certainly was good for an acoustic set, and both David Pogh and the Jayhawks commented on the venue.

I can't recalll the order of the Setlist, but the songs played were:

Waiting for the Sun
Crowded in the Wings
Settled down like Rain

Blue
I'd Run Away
Two Hearts

The Man who Loved Life
Trouble
Haywire
Bottomless Cup

Smile
I'm gonna make you love me
Broken Harpoon

Tailspin
All the right reasons
Save it for a Rainy Day
One man's Problem
Angelyne
Tampa to Tulsa

Buffalo Springfield cover (can't remember the name of the song).

Brilliant set, great performance. Well worth the 100 mile journey to see them (only got back at 1.00am). Can't wait for the next electric tour.

rhythm
05-12-2003, 05:39 AM
Hi hotpot,

You would have been better off getting a hotel for the night! I stayed in a relatively cheap place called The Cutlers Hotel (25) that did a fantastic breakfast (I just about managed to get out of bed).

Of course, you may not have to visit Sheffield that often, hopefully The Jayhawks will play somewhere a bit closer to home next time. Its funny, because I actually thought somewhere like the Warwick Arts Centre (theatre) would have been perfect for the Jayhawks.

I notice you live in Leamington - I actually work there (live in Coventry)! Strange how small the world seems sometimes.

Cheers

hotpot
05-12-2003, 06:47 AM
Hey Rhythm,

Yes, the Arts centre would have been good. I live in leamington (and work there), but I am a born-and-bred northerner - only here temporarily (although it has been 3 years now!). Still, you're right - it is a small world.

A similar story - i bought a Charlatans CD from a guy on Ebay. He was moving to Leamington Spa, and wanted advice as to where abouts in the town to move too. He ended up moving into the same complex of flats that I live in now!! Not met up for a beer yet though.

I was hoping the Jayhawks would play somewhere in Brum, so my dad and I could have catched the train and had a few drinks. I was actually going to stay over at my parents house in Lancashire (still a bit of a trek, but not as bad), but my car decided to run on 3 cylinders during the week - and has been inthe garage ever since. Hence my dad came collect me.

Still, definitely worth the journey. RDM is fastly becoming my favourite album too - gets better with every play, and I have figured out quite a few songs on my acoustic. In fact, I only got RDM on the morning of the concert. I had the day off work, so played it 4 or 5 times to get to know the songs. Seeing them live was good - I was watching Gary playing the guitar, and picked up a few tips on how to play the songs.

rhythm
05-12-2003, 07:15 AM
hotpot

Contrary to what the locals thought, Sheffield is quite a nice place - its a bit like Nottingham but with more hills!

Wherabouts from up north do you come from?

Birmingham Academy would be a good place for The Jayhawks electric set-up. The last time I saw them before Sheffield was in Derby (I was living there at the time) at the Rockhouse. That's quite a small venue and they didn't have too much room on the stage, but the atmosphere was great.

I play acoustic guitar and sing aswell, but I tend to write my own stuff. I don't really do covers and I'm probably not good enough to play Jayhawks stuff. If you play your own material then it stops you from finding out how crap you are! My guitar work is a lot more simple, so it frees the singing side of things up.

How did you end up in Leamington Spa? ('what led you to this town'!!!!ha) I know jobs are quite good but its a long way from Lancashire.

Superowl
05-12-2003, 09:36 AM
I was the person in the centre of the circle who burst out laughing when Gary described Sheffield as a nice place, try living there for a decade :D

The Memorial Hall is an ideal venue for acoustic gigs and over the past five years has attracted everyone worth mentioning in the field of americana/alt country/ call it what you will. Thanks to Stuart Basford a local promoter who is tireless in his pursuit of good music.

Although I enjoyed the gig enormously I thought the band, Gary in particular, looked very tired. He alluded to this when he mentioned there was only Glasgow to go and his frustrations with keeping the acoustic in tune. The best songs for me where those where the sound was filled out with the addition of David Poe.

Having experienced the full band experience once before a few years ago, at a magnificent gig at the Shepherds Bush Empire, I look forward to their return and seeing them at a larger venue in the Autumn.

Finally had a very brief chat with Marc and he seemed a very unassuming, decent bloke.

rhythm
05-12-2003, 10:45 AM
superowl

Yes I agree with you - its like that with most natives of any place. I mean, I come from Coventry and the place lays claim to being the most publicy criticised of any city in the UK. But its quite a strange rule: natives spend most of their time slagging a place off but when an outsider offers criticism, they leap to defend it.

I think the fact that Gary was a tad jaded lent a bit more world-weariness to his songs and added a bit of off-kilter entertainement.

I agree, I am looking forward to their return to the electric set-up, but it has been great to see them do the acoustic thing.

RichG
05-12-2003, 03:06 PM
I've been a fan since SoL, but this was my first Jayhawks live experience....& one i'll never forget !!

It was indeed sold out, our seats were crap, side on view, but nothing could detract from those sweet, sweet harmonies ! Tim O'Reagan in particular is an undiscovered gem....drummer, guitarist & a voice that could make a statue cry. He's also responsible for 'Bottomless Cup' & 'Tampa to Tulsa' among others.....what a talented guy....

I too can't wait for their return.....though is the full band 'Hawks better than a stripped down version? If so, it'll be a gig 'n 'alf !!

I'm getting into alt country big time at the mo'...I'm already fan of Ryan Adams ....can anybody recommend a what albums to start with by the likes of Son Volt, Wilco or any other recommendations?

Cheers,

Rich

rhythm
05-12-2003, 04:59 PM
In terms of Wilco, introduction-wise, I'd say AM for pure classic alt.country songwriting, and Being There as a complete epic. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (their latest) is brilliant, but no so much as an introduction.

In terms of individual songs, Box Full of Letters, Pick Up the Change & Should've Been in Love (AM); Misunderstood, Far,Far Away, Someone Else's Song & the Lonely 1 off Being There. Also try and check out the 2 Mermaid Avenue (Woody Guthrie) albums Wilco did with Billy Bragg - there's some of their best stuff on there.

RichG
05-13-2003, 03:22 AM
Cheers rhythm, i'll check 'em out & let you know the outcome!

Superowl
05-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi RichG,

Wilco are another of my very favourite bands, their double CD "Being There " is essential and ranks alongside "Hollywood Town Hall" in my opinion as one of the best two albums of the 1990's. Although the countryish side of their music has pretty much disappeared with their last release they are still well worth checking out. You should be able to pick up much of their back catalogue at 5 and 7 each at Fopp on Division Street, 3 minutes walk from the City Hall.

If you are getting into alt country/americana then living in Mansfield you are not too far away to catch lots of very good gigs in Sheffield. After London we probably get more of these acts playing than anywhere else in England, thanks to the promoter Stuart Basford.

Over the past 5 years i have been fortunate to see amongst others Ryan Adams (twice), Lambchop, Josh Rouse, Willard Grant Conspiracy, Handsome Family, Laura Cantrell and the Pernice Brothers. One particular highlight being to see Ryan Adams solo in front of about 50 people at the Boardwalk.

All the best

Superowl

rhythm
05-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Yes, there's a FOPP in Leamington as well: its always got the best bargains. I actually had to visit the one in Sheffield when I was up there, to compare.

I also saw Ryan Adams on what was probably a similar tour. It was just before he became slightly consumed by the fame thing, in between heartbreaker and gold. It was just him solo, with a piano and a guitar at Ronnie Scotts in Birmingham (some songwriters festival). He was supported by a girl called Carina Round (who was quite good) and he must of played for about 4 hours or something because I missed my train and had to get a taxi.

He progressively got more and more drunk, and turned the whole thing into a kind of stand-up routine crossed with requests and some heartbreaker songs. I was right at the front, and I recall he played a cover of a Backstreet Boys songs, Wonderwall by Oasis, and a bit of death metal on his acoustic. He also did a few songs with Carina Round. At the end of the gig he took a photo of himself with a fan on the front row, using a throwaway camera.

I don't know if he did a similar thing in Sheffield, but it was one of the most bizarre and memorable gigs I've been to. Having said that, when I saw him at the Birmingham Academy a year or so later, it was a huge let-down. I think it was a combination of him being ill and/or arrogant, too big a band set-up, and a lack of encore.

Superowl
05-14-2003, 04:28 AM
Ryan Adams - great musician/songwriter but definitely up his own a#se as a human being.

Now seen him on 3 ocassions;

Gig 1 around the time that Heartbreaker was released. Played the Boardwalk a small music venue in Sheffield, small audience and he played his heart out. Fantastic gig, only sour note being his slagging off members of the audience for asking for Whiskeytown songs.

Gig 2 back at the Boardwalk promoting Gold, venue absolutely heaving. Terrible sound quality for first half of the gig, not helped by Adams being incoherent between songs and getting into a slanging match with someone next to me who had the nerve to ask if he could use the mike as we couldn't hear him. Left a little disappointed.

Gig 3 last year at Manchester Apollo, proper rock gig. Full band behind him and he was determined to use it. Lots of covers and endless solos, clearly thought he was Keith Richard for the night. even more disappointing than before.

Will continue to buy the albums as everything he has done so far(with the exception of Demolition) has been excellent, however may take some persuasion to go and see him live again.

RichG
05-14-2003, 04:36 AM
Thanks again for the recommendations, chaps.

I saw Ryan Adams at M'cr Apollo last year, solo. It was just phenomenal. It was a quiet, almost surreal atmosphere, Adams was drugged up on flu remedy but still gave an amazing performance, full of wit & humour...he's a funny guy !

I don't make it into Sheffield much these days SuperOwl, but I know where Fopp is....I'll check it out asap. Gig wise, i've seen loads of bands at City Hall,the Uni/Octagon & the Leadmill....where did Pernice brothers play? I missed that one. Incidentally, what's the name of the pub right opposite the entrance to the Memorial Hall? We were a bit early on Friday, so we popped in there for one & it was FULL of fa.....ermm.....ladies !!

I'm just sad that the Stags couldn't stay in Div 2 last season, so we'd have had a trip to Hillsborough to look forward to ! Good luck next season, I hope you go straight back up & stuff the Spireites!

rhythm
05-14-2003, 07:08 AM
Yes, that's pretty much my take on Ryan Adams aswell. That half-arsed b-sides thing he did (demolition) was also quite poor. I think he needs to concentrate on getting back to the basics, although I hear his next album is supposed to be heavily inluenced by English music (circa The Smiths) so it will be interesting to see if he thinks he can get away with anything. I mean, innovation is great, but he's in danger of losing the plot.

I think that bar opposite from the gig venue in Sheffield is called Edwards??Is that the same one? It certainly had similar clientele! There's also an Edwards opposite the Wolverhampton Civic Hall - it must be a policy to be situated outside venues.

hotpot
05-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Great to see FOPP getting a good write up - I love that shop. The Leamington branch has taken a lot of my money, but I have had soooooo many albums from there. In fact, I think I got the Jayhawks and the Byrds back catalogue from there.

I am going to get something by Wilco, from the write ups you guys have given. To be honest, that's how I got into the Jayhawks in the first place. I got Hollywood Town Hall from FOPP for a fiver, and the rest is history.

Rythym - there is also a CD fair that travels around the town halls of the Midlands that has some fantastic bargains sometimes - you have to look hard at each stall, but it's worth it. One time, I spent 140 quid on CDs but came out with a carrier bag full (over 20 cds i think). I think the CD fair is called "vinyl bank" and has a web site www.vinylbank.co.uk, with a list of dates and venues. The last one I went to was mediocre (although I wasn't after anything specific), but the last 5 before that were brilliant. I'll look out for Wilco albums at the next one.

To answer your questions from before (sorry, not had time to reply due to work):

I am from Chorley originally (just south of Preston), and ended up here because of work. As part of my degree, I did a 1 year work placement with IBM in warwick, and came back to work for them after graduation.

I don't write my own stuff because I can't! I try, but I always end up playing stuff i know - but thats cool. I aint no Gary Louris myself, but i am learning - I can usually get the chords down after a few times playing along to the track. I guess it then just fiddling around trying to get a riff to sound something like what is on the record. I have a 4 track recorder that I should use more often - they are meant to be the best tool to help you develop you style.

I have a big respect for anyone who writes their own stuff, regardless of the quality. There is a pub in town called The Lounge that sometimes has acoustic nights with local artists - i enjoy going to those nights, just because you can't beat the atmosphere of live music.

rhythm
05-14-2003, 07:30 AM
That's the only problem with FOPP, it makes you spend far too much money. Wilco are definately worth checking out though. I think the first time I heard them was when they supported The Jayhawks in Wolverhampton (with Marc Olson still in the band).

Cheers for the info on the music fair - I'll check that out when I get the chance.

You were lucky to go to Warwick Uni - one of the best. They're ploughing a lot of money into that place at the moment. I went to Derby, which is a great city, but the University hasn't got as much prestige.

Writing you own songs is probably easier than learning ones, and probably more satisfying. Of course, I've never played live - that I really respect. You have to consider nerves as well as everything else.

I'm jealous of your 4-track; I've been recording stuff on a battered tape recorder, which adds a certainly lo-fi quality! I've been meaning to hook my computer up so it records but haven't got round to it yet.

I've not heard of the Lounge before - whereabout is that? There's some good bars in Leamington, but I've not seen that one yet.

hotpot
05-14-2003, 07:47 AM
I actually went to Loughborough Uni, which was still good though. IBM was like the Holy Grail of work placements so was well pleased to have got it.

My 4 track is basically a glorified tape recorder - it's a Tascam, can't remember the model, but cost about 120 quid. Good investment and a good introduction to home recording - and like I said, it's a good tool for perfecting your style - although I don't use it enough really. I have never really "mixed" anything, just recorded to the tape - I have to have a play around about mastering to Minidisc, just to see what the quality is like. I don't have an electro-acoustic either - so I normally play with a microphone stuck inside the sound box!! Not always the best results.

The Lounge is on the Parade, opposite the Town Hall (next pub after the Weatherspoons). It's OK, although I have ben there far too many times recently, so it's starting to lose it's appeal. I started going in there because the manager was from warrington, and she had an accent like mine! Leamington is a definitely a pub town - good quite a few good bars, and is normally a good night out - especially as the late license pubs are within crawling distance of my flat! :)

rhythm
05-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Yes, IBM is a prestiguous company to work for. A friend of a friend works for them - in Birmingham, I think.

You should get yourself an electro-acoustic, they're fantastic. Mine's not expensive and my amps quite small, but it gives you a number of options: just acoustic, via the amp, and if you record them correctly together you can get a clean acoustic sound, with a distorted acoustic sound in tandem. Of course, if I had a 4-track I could record the vox separate, and wouldn't get drowned out by the amp.

I've been in the Weatherspoons quite a few times but its strange, I've never noticed the Lounge. I guess I should open my eyes a bit more. I quite like Voodoo, but don't get the chance to drink in Leamington too often, because if you miss the last bus the taxi to Coventry is about 20.

RichG
05-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Edwards !!

That's right! I thought that what it was, but wasn't sure. May I recommend it to all as a good starting point if you're on the pull in Sheffield !

Now that you mention it, i've been in the one in Wolves as well ! Not as 'well stocked' as the Sheffield one though, if you get my drift !

I used to live in Wolves & the Civic & Wulfrun are both excellent venues. Best act I ever saw there was Mark Lanegan ( ex-Screaming Trees & current QOTSA singer) about two years ago. That bloke has an unbelievable voice & I think his solo stuff would appeal to many 'Hawks fans.

rhythm
05-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Was that really 2 years ago? Oh my god, I was at that gig if it was the same one. Maybe he toured last year aswell. Was it the Field Songs tour? It wasn't that full, but it was a brilliant performance. He has got the best voice in rock.

Superowl
05-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Anyone ever heard Mark Lanegan's vocal when he guested with the Walkabouts on a song called "Feel like going home". Found on the CD "Satisfied Mind" it is a stunner. Great voice but have never heard much of the screaming trees.

RichG - Pernice Brothers have twice played at the Pheasant, Joe Pernice has also played solo at the Boardwalk. Tragic really as this band deserve to play at much larger venues. For those of you unacquainted with Joe Pernice's work, I would urge you to check out either of the Pernice Brothers albums or Massaschussets by his old band the Scud Mountain Boys.Lovely, literate melodic countryish pop/rock.

Football matters, I am dreading our visit to Saltergate as the stick I will get around here will be unbearable if we lose. Haven't been to Mansfield for years, do you still have the raffle for a bag of meat at half time?.

Might give Edwards a try for my next pre gig pint:D . Usually use the Lion's Lair which is a decent little boozer run by Chloe Newsome, young lass recently on Corrie. It can be found down the little side road next to John Lewis.

RichG
05-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Superowl, you DESERVE stick if you lose to that pile of ****!!...Should be fun for Wednesdayites trying to get tix for that game !

Even we won there last season. Bag of meat at half time? Have you been eating cheese before going to bed?!.....I might try that boozer with the Corrie bird mind...She was fit! I usually use the Sportsman opposite the City Hall steps.....Cool rock pub.

Pleased to see there are others who appreciate the genius of Lanegan......Rhythm, Lanegan at Wolves was December '01, so not quite two years ago & yes, it was touring 'Field Songs' Anyone not familiar with the Trees should check out 96's 'Dust'.....one of the greatest albums of all-time in my humble opinion.

Superowl
05-15-2003, 05:01 AM
Hi richG,

Only been to your place once, 94-95?, quite a while ago. Only went as an old mate was visiting and he wanted to see his club Cambridge Utd. play. Honestly the only thing I can remember was the draw for meat at half time.

Yes Chloe does scrub up rather well :rolleyes: , although it is her French boyfriend's pub and I have only once spotted her in the place.

May give the screaming Trees a listen. Apart from Fopp do you ever go into Record Collector on Broomhill ?. vast stock covering every type of music you could be into with lots of excellent, obscure second hand stuff. Well worth a visit the next time you are up these parts.

RichG
05-15-2003, 01:14 PM
Superowl, me owd fruit,

I've only missed a handful of home games since the early 80's & I honestly can't remember us raffling off a bag of meat !....I'll ask around my fellow Stags for confirmation !!

Don't think I know Broomhill...Whereabouts in the city is it? Wouldn't mind checking out that shop.

Mate, DO check out the Trees, or any of Lanegan's solo stuff....His covers album 'I'll Take Care of You' is particularly majestic......best heard after breaking up with a long-term girlfriend, with the lights off, an open fire & a bottle of whiskey !

Superowl
05-16-2003, 04:46 AM
Hi RichG

Broomhill is about 15 minutes south west of the city centre, past Sheffield Uni;

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=433500&Y=387000&width=500&height=300&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&scale=10000&advanced=&multimap.x=164&multimap.y=207

The shop is on Fulwood Road, between Nile street and Glossop Road and well worth the detour. I have friends in Cheltenham and Southampton who both insist on a trip there when they visit me, even though I don't live that close.

Besides the shops there are a number of good caffs, pubs, Richer Sounds and loads and loads of young female students ;) . Spent much of my misspent youth in the area.

shootdogger
05-16-2003, 02:46 PM
I agree with the Wilco recommendations made for the most part...but somone also asked about Son Volt. 'Trace' is most certainly Jay's best work after UT. Windfall, being one of those classic first songs that sets the mood for an entire CD. Also, Tear-Stained Eye, Drown.