PDA

View Full Version : Dingwalls Review - Wednesday Night

David Farrel
05-08-2003, 02:01 PM
If you've ever been to Camden then you'll understand. The usual suspects were out in force and the smell of cut grass was in the air. I'd found a good parking spot right next to Dingwalls under a camera and was just walking round the back of the Canal Lock when I turned the corner to be greeted by Mr Perlman and Mr O'Reagan, followed by a smiling and happy Mr Louris, oviously having just had some refreshment before the gig. All looked in very good form and if the camera was available I might have stopped them for a photo but I'm never very good at fan worship so just smiled and walked by. Dingwalls is one of my favorite London venues. If a pub is good it's a spit and sawdust kind of place - Dingwalls is a spit and sawdust venue. It probably holds 750 / 1000 or so, with a bar at the back and the viewing area on three levels around the stage with a 'balcony' at the sides. The stage is probably two foot high - a meter for the metrically challenged - and so I got my closest Jayhawks concert experience. The Barbican where they played last time is a cavern with terrible acoustics. Dingwalls is up front and personal. I got a couple of beers while my better half who's a photographer got a spot up front on stage left and we waited literally sitting on the stage side and less than a couple of foot from the band's chairs.
David Poe - the first support benefited from a half full bar and attentive audience. Great voice - open tuned guitar and a budding Lou Reed take on life. Enjoyable. Then the first surprise. I hadn't read about the second support or heard of The Thorns at all. But I thought I recognised them when they took the stage. Musically they were top notch- three acoustics (or dobro, or Mariachi culled 5 string Ukelele) and three voices - close vocal harmonies. It was like sitting fron row at a CSN gig all over again. So, as I said they looked familiar and it was only until Shawn Mullins and Mathew Sweet introduced themselves that it clicked! (Doh!) The album's out in a couple of weeks and I'm first in line. They were excellent and complimented the Hawks perfectly.
So, after the guy next to me got Marc confused with a roadie as he tuned up the bass the Jayhawks took the stage. I know I keep going on about how close we were (and I'll put the photo's on my website when they're developed) but we were touching distance. This was Jayhawks heaven. As I didn't get a setlist I'm going from memory so some of this could be factually incorrect but could start some rumours. First out was crowded in the wings - dusted down and given a kick and straight away everyone was singing. I think the band were a bit taken back by how the crowd joined in to be honest. Stumbling was better than the album, so to was tailspin. When they got to the man who loved life Gary chatted about how we were one of the only places that got the Sound Of Lies and most of the request calls strangely came from SOL. The band were switching between Tim playing drums and acoustic and steve on slide or acoustic. I hadn't really heard Tim's voice close up but it's got great timbre live - Tampa to Tulsa was really gutsy and got a great reception and Bottomless Cup was just cool. So we were treated to a greatest moments collection - rainyday,blue and especially Heywire were highlights. Oh and Angelyne blew my socks off. Throughout Gary and an audience wag had an ongoing chat about Jen/Karen and the lack of a keyboard and a pretty lady in the band which was amusing. I can't remember what closed the first part - probably rainy day but when they returned for the encore it was Gary on his own to start with and he played a shuddering version of Waiting for the Sun if I remember right and then all the right reasons. Again, vocals from the audience on the new track was unexpected and he sort of smiled half way through. In response to requests the band returned and a great moment happenned when Gary started 'Trouble' - marc turned to tim and said something like 'what Key is he playing' only for Gary to realise and adjust mid song! It was an immense version - 4 part harmony and amps cranked up. Truly special. Then a Buffalo Springfield cover 'Expecting To Fly' and Josh Rouse (?) came out to finish with a Golden Smog cover.
The only downside was I haven't got tickets for tonight as well. Also, it's been said before but Gary was itching to get out a Flying V and solo the night away. If any of the UK crowd haven't got tickets yet get them now. Best gig of the year for me and top 3 Jayhawks night.

PS - if anyone has a full set list could they post it.
PPS - I will post an URL for the photos as and when they get done.

NY Fan
05-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Great review! Link us to the snaps when you've got them up somewhere.

-- GM

JayB
05-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by David Farrel
Throughout Gary and an audience wag had an ongoing chat about Jen/Karen and the lack of a keyboard and a pretty lady in the band which was amusing.

Great review, thanks!!

On a side note: I believe Jen was in town last week. Isn't she married to Audley Freed!? Who played The Borderline last week with Alvin Youngblood Hart under the guise of Job Cain...

I'm sure she was standing about 6 feet away from me... but I could be wrong.

Haggischomper
05-09-2003, 10:43 AM
:o I wondered what had happened to Mr Hart! Got any more details you can share?

JayB
05-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Here's part of a review from another board, not written by me, and used entirely without the auther's permission, although I'm sure he won't mind!

"it was a great show. Kicking off with and electric version Big Mama's Door, there was some Alvin stuff in there, some great covers (including Neil Young, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, The Stones and Thin Lizzy. No Leadbelly though.) and some wonderful new stuff too. Both Alvin and Audley tore it up and were backed up superbly by Robert Kearns (also formerly of Cry of Love) on bass and the drummer (who's name escapes me at this early hour! Sorry!).

The guys all hung out after the gig, chatted to everyone, signed everything, and couldn't have been more charming.

If you get the chance to see Job Cain, do go, they are fantastic."

JayB
05-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Sorry... and here's the setlist:

1. Big Mamas Door [fantastic electric version]
2. Just about to go
3. Lawd I'm Just a Country Boy (Sahm)
4. When you dance I can really love (Young)
5. Stop this
6. On the hunt (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
7. In my time of dying (Traditional, Blind Willie Johnson?)
8. Take out some insurance (Reed)
9. Cryin' Shame (Black Oak Arkansas)
10. Cowboy Boots (Knight)
11. Leaving Trunk (Estes)
12. The Worm (Free)
13. Fightin' Hard
14. Sway (Stones)
---Encore---
15. Dont Believe a Word (Lizzy)
16. Shoot me a grin (Although I prefer the way Alvin says this "Shoot me a gran"!)

Julianne
05-09-2003, 12:02 PM
I went last night (Thursday) and it was probably the best I've ever seen them. I'd not been to Dingwalls before but it was a great little venue.

Sure wish I'd gone the night before, though, as I came away wishing they'd played Stumbling and Bottomless Cup! When I booked tickets, though, I was told the Wednesday wasn't on sale (something to do with a previous gig having been rescheduled for that night).

What was the Golden Smog cover - Jennifer Save Me? (V is another Golden Smog song I'd love to hear live, so please don't tell me I missed that too!).

Haggischomper
05-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the review and setlist JayB. Looks like an awesome night was to be had that night! God, I hope I haven't missed a tour...

smog
05-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Stunning reviews and especially David's.
Wow wish I had been at the first night to see the Thorns !
Can't wait for the Ferry gig tomorrow cos I think it's gonna be a very special night !:)
________
Web Shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

JayB
05-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Haggischomper
Thanks for the review and setlist JayB. Looks like an awesome night was to be had that night! God, I hope I haven't missed a tour...

No worries... it was brilliant!!! Alvin in Rock mode is a sight to behold!

I think they've gone back to the States though... they played Southhampton, London and Wolverhapton and I think that was it.

I know Southhampton and London were both taped though, so if you're interested let me know!

Julianne
05-10-2003, 11:44 AM
I'd be interested in the London show (or both) - can you post some details?

amanda
05-10-2003, 04:28 PM
alvin was excellent :D the in my time of dying was sooooo cool! and i was standing like...two feet from audley, bonus! :D

as for the lack of female membership in the jayhawks...i actually noticed that, especially in what led me to this town. i miss the female harmonies in songs where they were particularly prominent. they added a nice texture to teh songs whihc all the falsetto in the world isn't goign to make up for :( i'm avalible btw, mr louris, if you can read this ;)

Haggischomper
05-11-2003, 05:05 AM
Once saw Alvin do an acoustic gig around the time of the Territory cd - simply superb. I note he has a new album out in the UK next week - seems to have been available in the States for quite some time.

On The Hunt, man! I love that song!

JayB
05-12-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Haggischomper
Once saw Alvin do an acoustic gig around the time of the Territory cd - simply superb. I note he has a new album out in the UK next week - seems to have been available in the States for quite some time.

On The Hunt, man! I love that song!

Yep, it as brilliant.... this gig was so different from alvin's acoustic stuff! Big Mama's Door is a brilliant blues album!

There were a few old Blues purists there who followed him round the UK asking why he wasn't playing any LeadBelly (it was billed as an Alvin solo gig)... you should have heard the band rip into these guys, classic!

NY Fan
05-12-2003, 10:37 AM
http://www.altcountrytab.com/actforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12182&FORUM_ID=22&CAT_ID=7

This guy is as enthusiastic as most of us are. Is Boxcar Trev already one of us on this board?

Favorite quote: "Are they the best band in the
world right now?"

-- GM

JayB
05-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Boxcar Trev
... and Matthew Sweet, Shawn Mullins and Pete Droge- the Thorns.

Pete Droge is in The Thorns!?!?!?!?