PDA

View Full Version : great american music hall, s.f., sunday, 5/7/06

geardaddy
05-08-2006, 05:29 AM
(setlist below)

first things first -

FRIDAY, 5/19/06, VICTORIA WILLIAMS will be playing in BIG SUR, CA...

http://www.fernwoodbigsur.com/music.html

last night in santa cruz, mark told my friend (who is responsible for bringing vic to fernwood for the second time in less than a year) that he plans on being there to play with vic...

that said,

it's my first post around here...i've been visiting for some time, and i thought i was registered, but apparently not...

anyway, i am one who discovered the jayhawks shortly after mark left the band, and i've been waiting roughly a decade for this night...

i was really pleased to see that mark and gary were playing the great american music hall, my favorite (mid-sized) venue in town, and i want to thank the lovely couple who allowed me to sit at their reserved table (about six feet from center stage)...forgive me for not remembering your names, but i hope you enjoyed the cotes du rhone...peace, and thanks again...

so...two acoustic guitars - mark's guild, and gary's small-bodied martin...and gary was again playing harmonica...

i don't really know what to say about the harmonies...if you're reading this, you already understand...

the guys were clearly enjoying themselves...they were very receptive to the audience's (obvious) appreciation, and seemed as happy as we were about their reunion...

i can't adequately express how much i loved this show tonight, so i'm not really going to try...

this is the setlist that they had on the floor between them...i'm guessing i don't have to complete the titles for you, so here it is, verbatim...

Pray
I'd Run Away
Sister
Two Hearts
Over my Shoulder
See him on the street
NLTB
Clouds
Settled
Angelyne
Cotton Dress (an old song that mark said was never recorded)
say you'll be mine
Ann Jane (performed, they say, only once before(!), at lambeau field)
Rainy Day
Miss Williams
Precious time (recorded by maria mckee)
Waiting
Blue

December
Tailspin
Ain't no end
crowded
two Angels
Bad time

(about gary's solos...i've heard complaints about gary's over-chorused/effected solos from friends at the l.a. and santa cruz shows, so i was expecting the worst...but as a guy who plays guitar, it seemed to me that he was trying to get a kind of hammond organ sound out of his pedal, and i happen to think that he often succeeded...when he played chords or partial chords during solos, it sounded a lot like an organ with a rotary speaker...to a guy like me, anyway...)

hope to see you tomorrow night when i (we) do it all again...

peace,

geardaddy

p.s. are there any gear daddies shows out there? anyone? anyone?

p.p.s. i met a guy who recorded the show (sadly, it was only audio) on behalf of mark and gary, for a possible live release (i saw him tell gary after the show that the recording went well)...i assume he was plugged into the board, though i didn't ask...

Lenno
05-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by geardaddy

p.p.s. i met a guy who recorded the show (sadly, it was only audio) on behalf of mark and gary, for a possible live release (i saw him tell gary after the show that the recording went well)...i assume he was plugged into the board, though i didn't ask...

Hooray! Thanks for the review and this hopeful news.

CaffeineZombie
05-08-2006, 09:05 AM
(p.p.s. i met a guy who recorded the show (sadly, it was only audio) on behalf of mark and gary, for a possible live release (i saw him tell gary after the show that the recording went well)

If that's who I think it was, he does excellent work. I'm
sure it will sound great...

:)

Lenno
05-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by CaffeineZombie
If that's who I think it was, he does excellent work. I'm
sure it will sound great...

did they fly norma out there?? :confused: :eek: :D

CaffeineZombie
05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Not Norma.

no, I'm thinking of someone else, who lives out there.

and yes, he was indeed the one who recorded the show.

mikem
05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
That was me taping. I taped from the soundboard and made an audience tape as well to try a matrix mix. Both came out very well.

Gary and Mark were nice as could be and set me up to come back and tape tonight as well.

Show was great (and Gary was very happy about it too). The set list posted by Geardaddy was pretty much what they played. They listed a bunch of encore possibilites on that setlist but did just December's Child, Tailspin and Bad Time (or maybe there was a fourth???).

After the show they said they'd sign CDs at the merch table, and it seemed like half the place was in line.

Great American Music Hall is usually a standing only kind of place, but for this show they put out tables and chairs, and even closed half the upstairs balcony. I think tonight should be a bigger crowd though, and they'll probably fill the balcony as well.

BMike

J.P.
05-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by mikem
That was me taping. I taped from the soundboard and made an audience tape as well to try a matrix mix. Both came out very well.

Gary and Mark were nice as could be and set me up to come back and tape tonight as well.

Show was great (and Gary was very happy about it too). The set list posted by Geardaddy was pretty much what they played. They listed a bunch of encore possibilites on that setlist but did just December's Child, Tailspin and Bad Time (or maybe there was a fourth???).

After the show they said they'd sign CDs at the merch table, and it seemed like half the place was in line.

Great American Music Hall is usually a standing only kind of place, but for this show they put out tables and chairs, and even closed half the upstairs balcony. I think tonight should be a bigger crowd though, and they'll probably fill the balcony as well.

BMike

GREAT!!
So what are the plan's for these recording's Mike?? an (Un)official release?? Do you know?
Thanks for this really great new's anyway!!
J.P.:)

mikem
05-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I think Gary would like to do a "Women's Club" style unofficial thing. I know he wanted to tape all the shows on this tour, but I don't know how much luck he's had.

CaffeineZombie
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
thanks for the update (and taping the shows), Berkeley Mike!

have fun tonight!

ChiefCrowe
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks SO much for taping!!!!!!!! i hope this comes out as a release!

Yeah, I think Gary would like to do a "Women's Club" style unofficial thing. I know he wanted to tape all the shows on this tour, but I don't know how much luck he's had.

Lenno
05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Finally! Death to Lost Highway! Release those live shows yourself and make lots of money. And all that before 2010 please ;)

Thanks for taping!

norma023
05-08-2006, 03:48 PM
not dis-counting your below comment, but at the tour opener in Tuscon, I know of someone who inquired about taping off the board, and was denied

Thanks for being able to capture these SF shows though !!

Haggischomper
05-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I think Mikem may be the most aptly named board poster yet.

Mike 'em if ya got 'em!

Bryn
05-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by norma023
not dis-counting your below comment, but at the tour opener in Tuscon, I know of someone who inquired about taping off the board, and was denied

Thanks for being able to capture these SF shows though !!

It may make sense not to tape the very first show though;)
I hope that a lot more can be recorded and that a lot more songs can come out of this.:cool:

DazGreg
05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Slightly more people at the GAMH for the Monday night show.

Similar set to Sunday Night except GW was played instead of Crowded during the encores.

NY Fan
05-11-2006, 10:17 AM
[Bi've heard complaints about gary's over-chorused/effected solos from friends at the l.a. and santa cruz shows, so i was expecting the worst...but as a guy who plays guitar, it seemed to me that he was trying to get a kind of hammond organ sound out of his pedal, and i happen to think that he often succeeded...when he played chords or partial chords during solos, it sounded a lot like an organ with a rotary speaker...to a guy like me, anyway...[/B]

I, personally, am thrilled to hear Gary continuing to explore sonic textures, even on accccousticcc.

He has never been one to overuse effects, and I think too many people are too hung up on the 'pure' acoustic sound to try what he does.

I love that Leslie-type of thing and I always think it adds a lot. Gary ain't no hippie-folkie! Dude's gotta rock a little...

GlacierWilco10-4
05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by NY Fan
Gary ain't no hippie-folkie! Dude's gotta rock a little... [/B]

Most of the Jayhawks songs were written with just an acoustic guitar.

JoMama
05-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Lenno
Finally! Death to Lost Highway! Release those live shows yourself and make lots of money. And all that before 2010 please ;)

Thanks for taping!

2010? Is that when the aliens are coming back for you? Just keep a bottle of whiskey on hand for them and you'll do just fine.

000-19
05-20-2006, 12:49 AM
First time newbie to the board. Just discovered the Jayhawks last fall on a rerun of the Austin City Limits show. I have tried to buy all the material I can from studio albums. Where would be a place to find a copy of this show or similar live shows? I saw one was uploaded from the May 12 show but is no longer available to download. Also are there going to be any more dates. I would love to take one of these shows in.
Thanks