PDA

View Full Version : Solona Beach

gng
05-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I have a scan of the setlist that Gary signed - if you want a copy, email me at sandiegong@adelphia.net and I'll send it out.

Anyway, what a great show! We got there early as we say the Jawhawks last two tours there and the line went down the block an hour before the show. This time there were about 6 of us waiting to get in. 15 minutes before the show I counted the people and got to around 75, but then like magic the place filled up. They went on about 30 minutes late and by the time they played PRAY FOR ME the place was pretty well filled up. The Belly Up is a large bar setting in an old quonset hut (rounded ceiling). Cool place to see a show.

The show ranks with one of the best concerts I've seen. Mark had the biggest smile on his face throughout the show - you could tell he was really digging it. At one point he got off his stool to get a guitar capo and Gary said "I thought you left again! I thought I'd have to finish the show by myself!" Mark, with a big smile, said he left 10 years ago because he "had to", but he's back now. Later, Gary was pitching the CDs (Womens Club 1 and 2) and said they would sign them, and Mark said something about signing a CD he didn't even play on, and Gary said "that's when you know you've made it is when you sign a CD you're not even on".

Show was flawless. Gary still played his guitar at times through the chorus/tremolo efx pedal (wish he would stop doing that and just let the acoustic guitar ring through). The only song Mark did not sing on was Save it for a Rainy Day - he played, but Gary did all the singing with no harmony vocal.

The only deviation to the set list was that they did a song in the encore that had the chorus "Hasta la visto, hasta la visto" - any idea what that is? It starts out as a slow ballad, then during the chorus they stop playing and Mark bangs on the top of his guitar like a drum and chants "Hasta la visto...". Anyway, at the end of the song Gary said he was "hanging on by a thread on that one".

After the show I spoke with Mark as he was wrapping up the cords on the stage (no roadies on this tour!) and he was super friendly. He handed me the setlist and I forgot to have him sign it - damn. But he did sign my HTH and TTGG CD covers, so that's cool. He went backstage after that and Gary came out to hang out with the crowd. Gary was very nice and seemed to like hanging out.

One last note - they did say they would be taping the shows for a future live album.

If you get a chance to see this tour, it's a good one.

Gary

Lenno
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by gng
The only deviation to the set list was that they did a song in the encore that had the chorus "Hasta la visto, hasta la visto" - any idea what that is? It starts out as a slow ballad, then during the chorus they stop playing and Mark bangs on the top of his guitar like a drum and chants "Hasta la visto...". Anyway, at the end of the song Gary said he was "hanging on by a thread on that one".

That would the 'new' arrangement of the song "Into The Yard" from one of Mark & Creepdipper's albums.
Thanks for the review.

Svein
05-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Great review, thank you Gary.

Michelle
05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Seeing Gary and Mark perform at the Belly Up was a fantastic experience! The show was great. I can't tell you how amazing it was to hear Gary and Mark peform Blue live. Huge smile on my face for the whole song.

If you don't have Live From the Women's Club Volume 2 -- you have to get it. I love Volume 1, but Volume 2 is even better. Save Me From Myself is a great song.

San Diego is so fortunate that the Jayhawks stop by the Belly Up as often as they do. I can't wait to see them again.

richard earl
05-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Man, I hope they release one of these live shows on cd. I live in Texas and did not get the chance to see Mark & Gary do this acoustic performance. I have to here it. "Pray For Me" is my favorite Jayhawks song and now knowing they started it off at the show really makes me want to hear it.

greekguy
07-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Good setlist

JoMama
07-28-2006, 04:52 PM
+1
so I can say i hit for the cycle, of course, it's so cool to be "in".:confused: