View Full Version : Gary Louris/Mark Olson - Troubadour, 5.1.06

05-02-2006, 01:49 AM
I figured i should post this review here too....

I just got home from a stellar, uplifting evening of some of the best songs that I know. The show was so great, and at times it was just flawless. There were a few stumblings, and Gary and Mark sometimes weren't in sync but all in all it was something that I felt very fortunate to be a part of.
I loved every song and they nailed almost all of them. They really shine acoustically and the vocals are much more in tune than last time i saw them.

The Crowd sang backup on Save it for a Rainy day and we gave them many huge ovations. Gary kept complimenting Mark and he did the same, it was kind of funny. Later on Gary tried to sell a few cds. Mark had a few moments where he'd get up and strum fast near Gary too :)
Mark also sang backup on some of the tunes he didn't write! they were in great spirits and at one point Gary said that they were having more fun than we were doing this. Later, Mark used his real low voice (telling us they would be playing in San Diego) and Gary said he should have been a DJ. hahaha

Mark introduced Cotton Dress as one they used to do back in the old days at the 400 bar as part of the 3rd set, and it was usually kind of iffy then or somethin like that.

Unfortunately Blue was a bit rusty but hopefully they tighten that one up. It must be tough to be out there almost by yourself like that. Gary played some really nice and intricate solos on that acoustic geetar which provided quite a few highlights for me. Sister Cry had a mini jam going on in it too. Gary played harp on this one as well as a few others...

I'm hoping they record some of these shows and release a live acoustic album, that would be SWEEET!

here's the setlist as far as I recall:

Pray For Me (a sweet and unexpected opener!)
I'd Run Away (beautiful!!!!)
Sister Cry
Two Hearts
Settled Down Like Rain
Say You'll be Mine
Angelyne :)
See him on the Street
Nothing Left to Borrow
Ann Jane (another surprise!)
Clouds (freakin awesome!)
One Man's Problem
Over my Shoulder
Precious Time (amazing!)
Two Angels
Cotton Dress
Crowded in the Wings
Miss Williams Guitar (what a sweet surprise!)
December's Child
Waiting for the Sun

encore: Blue

05-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks Chief for a great review. I do hope these shows are recorded, last tour was well covered.

05-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Wow, Cool. Great set list. No Bush Songs too! How can they be rusty on their biggest song?? HA.

Please come to the East Coast guys!

05-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I saw both the shows in Solana Beach and Seattle, and the Solana Beach version of Blue sound a lot like this one - it was not perfect by any means, but still wonderful and so sweet. Seattle version of Blue was flawless - I don't remember the original recording being that slick. 10 days on the road together - good chance to tighten things up, I guess.