PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Blue Rodeo!?!

cbashley
05-01-2003, 03:21 PM
This is from today's (May 1, 2003) edition of NOW and is by Tim Perlich who I suspect is long overdue for a new posting in something less challenging than Alt Country ... of late he's panned Lucinda Williams, Richard Buckner, Jay Farrar, and You Name 'Em ... now he adds to his canon the dissin' of Gary and company ... so here goes and then let the slaggin' of Tim commence....

The good news is that having been liberated from Sony, the Jayhawks can give up trying to be the new Journey and return to their roots. The bad news is that judging by Rainy Day Music, Gary Louris's country roots don't seem to go any deeper than the Eagles and Poco. However, there is a limited-edition version of the release with a bonus disc that includes six demos and outtakes that are looser, more direct and ultimately better than anything on the album proper. Hopefully, someone will release the rest of the demos the Jayhawks cut with Ed Ackerman in Minneapolis before Etan Johns got hold of the group. Rykodisc has just reissued the Jayhawks' twangy second album, 89's The Blue Earth -- with three previously unavailable bonus tracks -- which shows how very little ground they've covered in 14 years. They were the poor man's Blue Rodeo then, and they still are today.

And PLEASE don't shoot this messenger ... I was fairly flabbergasted myself (though ... reading Perlich's reviews of late ... prepared).

:mad:

bluerodeo
05-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Well, with the name I use in this forum, I just had to reply....

The Jayhawks are definately not a poor man's Blue Rodeo. And I love Blue Rodeo as much as I love the Jayhawks. Two totally different bands, two very under appreciated bands.

Now, I'm all for free speech of course, and I'm familiar with Tim Perlich's reveiws...BUT......

NOW magazine and Tim Perlich do nothing but litter the planet with braindead ideas and commentaries. He is so devoid of musical taste that it only inspires the most intense of hatreds.

Whewww. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Hmmmmm...here's a thought. Blue Rodeo open up for The Jayhawks on an American tour. When they come to Canada, The Jayhawks could then be the opening slot on Blue Rodeo's tour. Or, even better.....The Jayhawks co-headlining with Blue Rodeo with The Cash Brothers and Skydiggers opening up the shows.

LiladyK
05-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by cbashley

Hopefully, someone will release the rest of the demos the Jayhawks cut with Ed Ackerman in Minneapolis before Etan Johns got hold of the group. [/B]

Oh, yeah....yeah, everyone here knows what I'M thinking....does this guy know for sure that Minneapolis Music God Eddie has more Jayhawks demos in his hands??? Someone 'really' local from this board has gotta get close to this guy. If this is true, then no doubt in my lil mind that these demos will sound supreme :cool:

norma023
05-05-2003, 01:29 PM
yeah I think I do, you boot collecting maniac
;)

<<
Oh, yeah....yeah, everyone here knows what I'M thinking....
>>

LiladyK
05-05-2003, 02:37 PM
(_l_) :eek: