PDA

View Full Version : Daily Vault review of _Rainy Day Music_

jasonburg
04-30-2003, 02:03 PM
_Rainy Day Music_ is the review of the day for April 30 on The Daily Vault. Check it out at www.dailyvault.com.

muskytoes
04-30-2003, 02:58 PM
So he dosen't like it
Then he likes it
Says he never figured out what made HTH tick
but loved Smile....mmmm I wonder.... what if you
Add a dash of Glacier and a smiggin of Floyd
Mix generously with a cup of Dignan
add a NYFan and sprinkle with Greekguy
serve it to liladyK in a "micro-brew" bottle

NY Fan
04-30-2003, 03:12 PM
I kind of dug this review, except I don't agree with one part -- his take that fans' collective viewpoint w/ 'Smile' as 'too poppy.'

I, for one, LOVE pop tunes -- especially power pop -- and would dig a whole pop Jayhawks album. Gary's talked about being influenced by British pop music heavily.

(And not to get into a genre-thing, but I'm defining pop here as anything remotely Beatlesque: if you hear 'ooo' backgrounds somewhere ['It's Up to You'], if a guitar is chiming ['I'm Gonna Make You Love Me'], if there's a sing-along chorus ['Big Star'], then I call it pop...)

Instead, I think the most common criticism of 'Smile' has been the (over)production. I'd lump in there drum loops, synthesizer, other inorganic sounding stuff, etc. Whereas SOL is very analog-sounding, Smile is more digital to me, if that makes sense. And I don't think over the long haul, that sort of production fits well w/ most Jayhawks songs.

All that aside, I really liked Smile, and still like it a lot. I think many of the songs are strong, and I don't hate the production at all.

-- GM

hicktopia
04-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by NY Fan
I kind of dug this review, except I don't agree with one part -- his take that fans' collective viewpoint w/ 'Smile' as 'too poppy.'
<snip>
Instead, I think the most common criticism of 'Smile' has been the (over)production.

I think Smile is too poppy. SOL and RDM to a great extent, too.

Smile is also quite overproduced, but I'd have preferred an overproduced twang-rock album to an overproduced pop album. But that's just me.

(And yes, I'm quite unhappy that most of today's country music is pop with an occasional fiddle.)

LiladyK
04-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by muskytoes
So he dosen't like it
Then he likes it
Says he never figured out what made HTH tick
but loved Smile....mmmm I wonder.... what if you
Add a dash of Glacier and a smiggin of Floyd
Mix generously with a cup of Dignan
add a NYFan and sprinkle with Greekguy
serve it to liladyK in a "micro-brew" bottle

huh?! wha?! who?!....did someone say LiladyK and microbrew in the same sentence? :D

hey, I dig the FBB signature reference there stinkfoot! Yeah, I know yer really a 'mosquitoe', but the foot thing is so much fun (and we now know as of the past couple of days that BOTH Jeff and Todd have "foot issues".... lol) :cool:

Chaosdan
05-01-2003, 06:48 AM
I'd always thought the Jayhawks were very pop, even in their rockiest/country-est moments. It's when they try to consciously write a commercial pop hit that they become unstuck and end up sounding like a 1,000 other mainstream bands, ie I'm Gonna Make You Love Me... those lyrics... ugh.

The best songs on Smile for me are the most stripped down and least 'produced'... Broken Harpoon, Mr Wilson. Strange cos Bob Ezrin was great producer of stripped-down rock'n'roll in the 70s when he worked with Alice Cooper... I think he went a bit gadget-mad with Smile.