PDA

View Full Version : amazon reviews

kmweiss
12-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi. I was just looking at Smile and Sound of Lies on Amazon, and I thought the reviews of these cds was kind of interesting. Sound of Lies was given 4 or 5 stars by almost every reviewer and most of the reviews were "gushing." Smile, on the other hand, was either loved or completely panned. Some really harsh reviews. Not sure of the demographics of the reviewers, but thought it was weird to see such harsh reviews for a band that (unfortunately) has more of a cult following than a widespread audience.

Kenny

Calexico
12-21-2005, 12:23 PM
A SOL and Smile demographic controversy? Well I nevah!:D

goody59
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Ah, the cycle............

poorlittlefish
02-08-2006, 10:45 PM
ah hell why not... CYCLE!

and I do believe that's a first for me....

JoMama
02-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Time has tempered the expectations with the ability to re-asses these records, which I now truly adore. It's easier now to avoid comparing to other albums and letting them stand on their own.
I really dig "Smile", as I find it to be somewhat more "crafted".
I wish bands would tour their songs more before recording them though, as this one's a bit studio-enhanced.
I went to the Gary/Mark show in Madison, and was talking to this fella about the Bob Ezrin involvement and how it added it's own surreal quality...
Then, after a few Newcastles and the Gary/Mark set, we were yelling for "Run Like Hell" for the encore. Luckily for the band, we were drowned out by the crowd...
SOL is it's own bird too, but I find it still anchored in the "legend" that preceded it. If there was the possibility of some sort of Jayhawks Supergroup featuring everyone who's ever been in the band, at least the major players, these songs would sound interesting.
Oh no, I'm running off at the keyboard again...