PDA

View Full Version : The Univoice Rules (by Ms. Mystery)

LiladyK
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
What a night :eek:

A big group of us met at a nice long table in back of the Four Farthings Tavern down the street from Park West, preshow. Mrs. Haggischomper took our group pic, I'm sure Haggy will post it at some point.

Sandy, Icehaid, Caffeine Zombie, norma023, sacred roots, Mr. and Mrs. Haggy, the couple that got engaged thru their music (Tory), Angelyne, Emmylou, Butzodaddy, Pedal Blue, Girl (and boy) Incognito (was that all of us?). And...just as we all got up to walk down to Park West, Cootner and his friend came walking up to us :)

Ok, now, I'm naming Pedal Blue "Passionate Pedal". We're walking down the street after we leave the tavern, and as soon as we get close to Park West, the anticipation gets the best of her and she yells out something in excitement, throws her arms around me, hugs me, then picks me up like she's gonna fling me over her shoulder, it was hilarious. She's not much bigger than I am, how did she do that?! ;)

Emmylou, would you please post your pic of the outside marquee here when ya get the chance too?

So when we called Park West ahead they said there was an opening act, but thank God there wasn't.

Did they ever sound tight that Chicago night! Big difference from the Ames show. Honestly, I didn't care how tight or lose Ames was, or what songs they sang or anything like that. All I could think was "I'm so lucky to be here experiencing this, I never thought I'd even get to see it even once".

What a special blend of voice and stage presence. Two unique and brilliant artists, and their corresponding personalities in such sweet contrast like I've never witnessed before.

Mark was having a fun time, grinning a lot, playing around a lil, interacting w/us in the audience. While he was singing, he seemed very focused and serious about meshing his voice w/Gary's. Ray cliqued better on the drums. Gary's guitar work/voice gives the Creekdipper songs depth and adds a charm to the political songs. Mark singing on Tailspin! That was cool! Razz has been my favorite fiddle player for years.

THE HIGHLIGHT of the evening arose from Razz needing some orange juice (diabetic low perhaps).

Razz and Ray took a break for the song "Precious Time", and M & G did a duet of it completely alone.

THE AUDIENCE SEEMED FLOORED. Did you guys and gals all notice this too? I looked all around me and the room was silently still, jaws were dropped, I'm not exaggerating. They nailed that gorgeous song so perfectly in total unison. The fact that the drums and fiddle were absent made the univoice glow.

After the show Gary signed my Women's Club II disc to: "Ms. Mystery", (via the demos).

"Mr. Mystery" caught the guitar pick he threw out.

so, I've added that title to my "board mama" status....(board mama was given to me by Muskytoes)

There was a mic/taping rig high above the crowd in the middle of the room in front of the SBRD, so, maybe we'll get a commercially released live show from this. They really should make some money from this recording......just like the mystery songs. Those songs belong to them, we should be paying them to hear them! I told him I was bothered that they weren't making money from the mystery demos. Maybe they'll come out in some form some day. He put his arm around me and said "thank you for your support!" Then we took off....

They need a real break now......

and the selfish side of me thinks "I hope they at least still like each other after 3 straight weeks and both want to do more some other time". I mean, any way that they want to, ya know....but just again somehow, somewhere, sometime in some form. :cool:

Truscott
03-14-2005, 12:49 AM
That's a fantastic write-up! Thank you so much for sharing that.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it to any of these shows, but it's all signs of great things to come.

Calexico
03-14-2005, 03:31 AM
Wonderful write up K!:D

As always spoken from the heart and like a true fan.So sorry to have missed these shows but I live in hope...someday.

greekguy
03-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by LiladyK

Pedal Blue throws her arms around me, hugs me, then picks me up like she's gonna fling me over her shoulder

Anybody get this on video?

Calexico
03-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Hey....what goes on in the tour bus...stays in the tour bus!;)

Haggischomper
03-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by greekguy

Anybody get this on video?

No, but I almost got it in the face!

Calexico
03-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Ahh...the money shot as it is called!:eek:

Haggischomper
03-14-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm just glad the lilady has lilfeet too!

girl incognito
03-14-2005, 09:57 AM
What a night :eek:

A big group of us met at a nice long table in back of the Four Farthings Tavern down the street from Park West, preshow. Mrs. Haggischomper took our group pic, I'm sure Haggy will post it at some point.

Sandy, Icehaid, Caffeine Zombie, norma023, sacred roots, Mr. and Mrs. Haggy, the couple that got engaged thru their music (Tory), Angelyne, Emmylou, Butzodaddy, Pedal Blue, Girl (and boy) Incognito (was that all of us?). And...just as we all got up to walk down to Park West, Cootner and his friend came walking up to us.

Awww LiladyK aka Mrs. Mystery :D What a great review sweetie! When I was talking to Mr. LiladyK aka Mr, Mystery I told him that the Jayhawks are the great unifier and Gary and Mark brought together a family on this tour. I consider all of you family and great friends. Thank you to Gary and Mark...thanks again you two darling men.

Luv,
Kristy

Emmylou
03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
the anticipation gets the best of her and she yells out something in excitement, throws her arms around me, hugs me, then picks me up like she's gonna fling me over her shoulder, it was hilarious.

LOL!!! In the van on the way home PB suddenly said "OH god I picked up KIM!!!" "she is going to think I am nuts!"

it was so funny...you should have seen the look on her face... horrified she was so out of control with excitement!!:D

oh and yes she is a bit crazy but that is part of her charm....love ya PB

Haggischomper
03-14-2005, 11:34 AM
She is one huggy lady!

Bryn
03-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks for sharing guys. I hope like crazy that a commercial release is coming out of this.
Bryn

girl incognito
03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Bryn
Thanks for sharing guys. I hope like crazy that a commercial release is coming out of this.
Bryn

I hope so too...I'm going thru my Gary withdraw right now!! :(

~Kristy

girl incognito
03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Haggischomper
She is one huggy lady!

and a sweetheart too boot!

Luv ya PB!

~Kristy

Calexico
03-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by girl incognito

I hope so too...I'm going thru my Gary withdraw right now!! :(

~Kristy

Is that like some online banking thing?

Angelyne
03-14-2005, 02:32 PM
LiladyK~A wonderful review! It was really nice to meet you and Mr. Mystery. You are a star too, an announcement from the band that you named the 'mystery demos' was very impressive :)

I also wish there would have been a camera for the moment that Pedal swept you off of your feet, that was classic. :)

Good times for sure, looking forward to the next gathering.

greekguy
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by girl incognito

I'm going thru my Gary withdraw right now!! :(

~Kristy

Yet another thread heads straight into the gutter...

Calexico
03-14-2005, 03:28 PM
From where is she withdrawing what SHE thinks is Gary...that's what I want to know!!:eek:

girl incognito
03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Calexico
From where is she withdrawing what SHE thinks is Gary...that's what I want to know!!:eek:

:D OK not going to touch this eventhough I started it! :p

~Kristy...is spring break over yet??? :p

LiladyK
03-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Emmylou

LOL!!! In the van on the way home PB suddenly said "OH god I picked up KIM!!!" "she is going to think I am nuts!"

it was so funny...you should have seen the look on her face... horrified she was so out of control with excitement!!:D

oh and yes she is a bit crazy but that is part of her charm....love ya PB

I LOVE the fact that she's nuts! I'm middle aged and a lil older than some of you gals, so someone has got to portray "the nut" in the group when I'm all nutted out, or I'm feeling too old to be the nut :D

Sincere passion of a fan that results from loving and suporting this band should never be stifled. Generally speaking, I'd like to think t's the fuel that motivates an artist when the music industry doesn't know what the f*ck it's doing! :cool:

had a great time w/all of you that night, the comraderie made it even more fun:)

btw, thanks to the gals for organizing the preshow get together!

Lenno
06-25-2005, 01:17 PM
I am listening to that show now (the audience recording) and I must say it is very good. Gary's more comfortable on his Gibson obviously then on the shimmering telecaster.

And hey LiladyK: you are mentioned as the what? of the mystery demos? The fact that you send Mark & Gary those demos + letter sure made a difference in Jayhaws history!!

Thanks to the taper.

LiladyK
07-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi Lenno,

Well ya know YOU helped me to make that difference in Jayhawks history....you were kind enough to help me get that copy of the demos and my corresponding letter out to Mark. I am grateful to you. I also think that interview you did w/Mark in Holland was significant. Remember how he hadn't even seemed to realize the 20th anniv. of the Jayhawks was in '05 until you mentioned it, and wondered if there'd be some kind of reunion for that anniv.? :cool:

in response to your question, what he says in the recording is:

"thus named by LiladyK I believe"

When these demos came upon the scene at Bunkhouse from an unclaimed place, (and we still don't know their original origin) it was like someone had just suddenly dropped them from heaven. And what were all these unheard of before songs? At the time, I couldn't stop playing them over and over....or discussing them. The words mysterious and mystery continuously came up in our conversations. Heck, they were blanketed in mystery.....so I just started referring to them as such....but when I think about it, prob. everyone else was thinking of calling them this too! ;)

I just thought the guys should get to make some money off these. It was bugging me big time that they were not getting anything for them. That thought just would not leave me alone. Finally, I had to try and get these to them. Fortunately, they both really love them, thanked me for receiving them.

When they suddenly broke out into "Michael's Boat" and "East Berlin" at the first show in Ames, I was kind of shocked...but just before the show Cootner showed me the pre-show article in the Ames paper where Mark mentioned wanting to do the songs....so I kind of wondered if they'd play them. Then the next surprise of the "Cotton Dress" song dedication, I thought.....oh, they must be glad then that I gave them those demos, maybe they do like them? :)

Calexico
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
So when are these songs being shared on mp3 on Soulseek?:cool:

Lenno
07-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Great flashback Kim. I will never forget; after the interview Mark immediatly opened the envelop and dived into that letter. I hung around for a few minutes packing my gear and when I walked out he called "hey, thank her for this letter, it's very nice".

LiladyK
07-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Calexico
So when are these songs being shared on mp3 on Soulseek?:cool:

LOL! Ok Cale.....you ARE kidding? You forgot to put the Mr. Winky after that question!

They're not even being shared anywhere in lossless files.....the people at Bunkhouse all agree that could possibly lead to them ending up in "the wrong place".

These are like unreleased commercial recordings.....and they may be commercially releasing them at some point in the future, so file sharing them is not really considered cool by trader's ethics. :)

The fans are "snail mail" sharing them.....as it's understood that we'll be the first ones to buy the commercial release, if and when that happens.

Calexico
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM

LOL! Ok Cale.....you ARE kidding? You forgot to put the Mr. Winky after that question!

They're not even being shared anywhere in lossless files.....the people at Bunkhouse all agree that could possibly lead to them ending up in "the wrong place".

These are like unreleased commercial recordings.....and they may be commercially releasing them at some point in the future, so file sharing them is not really considered cool by trader's ethics. :)

The fans are "snail mail" sharing them.....as it's understood that we'll be the first ones to buy the commercial release, if and when that happens.

I was kidding...I was only trying to get a rise out of someone.Also I never put Mr Winky where he is not invited.

Although by sharing them on disc there is nothing to stop anyone from converting them to any format and doing whatever they want with them.Just a point is all.

Also I have no ethics,trader's or otherwise.:D

LiladyK
07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
yeah, we realize that about it not being a fail proof method, the snail mail sharing style.....

it just helps decrease the chances we hope at least.....nothing's perfect unfortunately

so far they haven't shown up on Ebay, which is good

great that we have so many caring fans, this is a great group both here and at Bunkhouse, love you all :)

Now whose going to be the first one to "invite" Cale's Mr. Winky? :eek:

Calexico
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Stop that chatter right now!!:eek:

LildeviladyK
07-22-2005, 12:19 PM
now see what you've done, Mr. Winky is distracting even our boardmom! How I tend to so easily take her over .....back to work boardmom, back to work, get off this fanpage! :eek:(she goes back to work, but I still lurk....hehehehehehehehe)

Haggischomper
07-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by LildeviladyK
now see what you've done, Mr. Winky is distracting even our boardmom! How I tend to so easily take her over .....back to work boardmom, back to work, get off this fanpage! :eek:(she goes back to work, but I still lurk....hehehehehehehehe)

Cale, need a copy of my 'moving underpants' avatar? You've gotten the devil-lady all hot and bothered - the underpants may tip her over the edge! :p

Calexico
07-23-2005, 09:43 AM
I still think there was nothing underneath that!!

Mr Bean was flashing all his stuff!

Emmylou
08-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Yes the univoice does rule btw;)