PDA

View Full Version : Chicago

Walrus
03-13-2005, 02:02 AM
Just a few quick thoughts on the last show of the tour...I'm still new to this whole Jayhawks thing, so this was the first performance of any of these guys that I'd ever seen.

I'd heard a recording of one of the earlier shows of the tour, and it left me a bit underwhelmed, but whatever was missing they seemed to have ironed out by the end of the tour. There were still a couple of false starts, but overall it seemed like it was coming together quite well. There was some playful banter between Mark and Gary, and it definitely didn't seem like either of them were just trying to get the tour over with, as I had read someone state in a review somewhere else. It wasn't like they were in total euphoria from playing together either, but they seemed to be having a reasonably good time.

The one thing I noticed above all is that the harmonies have definitely improved from the start of the tour, which really made the show. Obviously I can't compare it to "the old days" like a lot of you can, but they really sounded great. The place was packed and the crowd seemed to be really into it, which definitely helped as well.

I'll post more in a day or two once I've had a chance to collect my thoughts (and get some much needed sleep), but whatever the verdict is on this tour, it certainly ended on a high note.

Also, thanks to the few of you I met while hanging out waiting for them to come on...sorry, I suck with names, but I was the dude in the front row right in front of Gary...sorry I missed you guys after the show :(...but you guys were really nice and hopefully we will meet again...

Bigb
03-13-2005, 09:30 AM
I wound up getting a ticket last minute and headed to the show. What a great show. Gary is phenomenal. "I'd Run Away" and "Angelyne" were standouts for me. The show seemed a bit business-like at first but they quickly loosened up. I'm sure glad I went.

jcarlile
03-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Oh my gawd.... the show was fantastic! I'm not good at doing reviews; I'll leave that up to those better suited. All I can say is they sounded wonderful; better than the first shows for sure. I guess over 3 weeks of touring will do that. Not that they don't always sound great, but you know what I mean. I'm still tired, so I'm probably not too coherent. I'll try to do a better review later....

My highlight; Mark and Gary alone doing Precious Time. Wow, I actually almost cried it was so beautiful!

Of course Gary stayed after the show to talk, sign and pose for pics forever. He is so gracious and I'm sure he was so tired, but he took the time to talk to everyone. Such a class act he is..... Thanks again Gary!

Seeing everyone I know and meeting new people, priceless!!!!

Take care all and hope to see you again, Joyce

Tory
03-13-2005, 11:11 AM
I can only echo what everyone else has said--what a wonderful, wonderful show. This was definitely the most "together" show of the tour. Before launching into "Tailspin," Gary commented on the tour and how much fun he had with Mark. He said that he didn't want to "get too emotional," and I swear that I saw a few tears in his eyes at that moment. It was very touching.

I agree with Joyce about "Precious Time"--the entire crowd was completely enthralled during the whole song. It was almost painfully beautiful.

My husband and I were lucky enough to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary (March 13) with this show, which is particularly special since we got engaged at the Indianapolis show in 2002. Needless to say, it was a perfect night for us. Gary graciously signed the setlist--Happy 1st anniversary.

Another highlight was getting to hear "Ann Jane," a song I never thought I'd hear. It was also wonderful to get to meet so many of you! Thanks so much to Angela (Angelyne) for setting up the pre-show gathering.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the setlist:

Pray for Me
I'd Run Away
One Man's Problem
East Berlin
See Him on the Street
Walk With Them
Sister Cry
Custom Detroit Railroad
Angelyne
Blue
Cotton Dess
GW
Crowded in the Wings
Waiting for the Sun
Two Angels
Two Hearts
December's Child
Save it for a Rainy Day
Over My Shoulder
Clouds
Tailspin
End of the Highway

Encore
Precious Time
Baltimore Sun
Settled Down like Rain
Ann Jane

Encore
5 Cups of Coffee
Bad Time

Two songs that are on the setlist, but did not get played: If you Really Want Me To I'll Go and Take Me With You (When You Go)

Not much else to report at this point--I am really tired! I'm sure I'll think of more to add later!

tory

Walrus
03-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting the setlist. :) It was nice meeting you guys last night...see you at the Tori show, most likely...

Haggischomper
03-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Great show, great fun beforehand and afterwards. There's some characters in that crowd, lemme tell you.

I just want to add that last night was one of the most respectful crowds I have ever witnessed. There was so little talking in between/during songs by the crowd and that it really made it all the more memorable for me.

Really nice (if somewhat surreal!!) to meet so many people who have only been 'board names' for me for so long. Yer all wonderful - but, like I said, you all tallk funny. Apologies to everyone that couldn't understand a friggin' word I said all night. :p

I'll echo Joyce and say that Precious Time was fabulous - that was the one song I was REALLY desperate to hear and it blew me away.

Good times, good times.

Calexico
03-13-2005, 12:56 PM
So that was most of the crowd had had some language trouble then was it Andy?;)

Glad you had a great time...nice to get out of the house for a while and drink and dance!

Haggischomper
03-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Indeed it was.

And, damn, but that hotel room was freaking hot. We had to sleep with the windows wide open - and it was STILL warm in there. And if you were in Chicago last night you will know what that means cos it was freezing out there.

Icehaid
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Haggischomper

Really nice (if somewhat surreal!!) to meet so many people who have only been 'board names' for me for so long. Yer all wonderful - but, like I said, you all tallk funny. Apologies to everyone that couldn't understand a friggin' word I said all night. :p

You know, I think I only said "beg your pardon" to you once! :)

Haggischomper
03-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Just be glad I wasn't drunk. You wouldn't have understood a single word then.

girl incognito
03-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by jcarlile
Of course Gary stayed after the show to talk, sign and pose for pics forever. He is so gracious and I'm sure he was so tired, but he took the time to talk to everyone. Such a class act he is..... Thanks again Gary!

Seeing everyone I know and meeting new people, priceless!!!!

Take care all and hope to see you again, Joyce

Joyce, you are such a sweetheart. I loved meeting you too and I had just the best time at the concert. I noticed when Justin and I drove passed the Park West, I saw Gary was still there talking to fans. Wow!!! He is such a sweetie. Love him!

~Kristy

girl incognito
03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Indeed it was.

And, damn, but that hotel room was freaking hot. We had to sleep with the windows wide open - and it was STILL warm in there. And if you were in Chicago last night you will know what that means cos it was freezing out there.

I hear ya Haggy. Justin cranked up the heat in our hotel room and in the morning. I felt really awful this morning as (from yelling too much and the heat did not help) I have a raw throat...so I'm eating Ricolas like there is no tomorrow.

~Kristy...it's warming here in Des Moines thought.

Emmylou
03-13-2005, 06:41 PM
agree with Joyce about "Precious Time"--the entire crowd was completely enthralled during the whole song. It was almost painfully beautiful.

Yes...it was like everyone was holding their breath.....that song really grabbed everyone's attention.

Overall....the show was amazing, and I was so thrilled I made it to Chicago! I was at Madison too and they were two different shows and I enjoyed them both, but last night really blew me away. I gotta say it.....I LOVE THE GIBSON.....Great solos last night ....Sister Cry especially cool. I am so bad at remebering what happened when during a show. I just get so caught up in the moment...I don't write anything down I just want to soak up every moment...every song. It was a great mix of the old tunes, newer songs and "Mystery Demos"....loving those new songs "Cotton Dress" and "Precious Time" especially. The show had great flow and went by too fast for me.

AND ....it was Rivetting;)

Scalzunfield
03-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Did anyone else here find the show lacking? Maybe it's just the fact that I'm so used to Tweedy/Wilco shows that are so far above the norm that it's hard for anything to match up in my mind, but...there were quite a few dull moments in the show. Gary really did not look into it at all. However, Mark seemed to really be enjoying himself. The drummer was...horrible. Yes, that's the word. NO emotion; NO interesting beats; NO improvisation; not even a simple drum roll or even a fill. Yeah, Gary was cooking on quite a few songs, but he was also hella loose on "Settled Down Like Rain" among others. I did like their song selection, but the songs were REALLY missing Pearlman's bass playing abilities. No knocks against Mark Olson--he played pretty well, but Pearlman is just in a league by himself.

PretentiousWilco
03-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Wilco shows aren't exactly known for being exciting.......

"Gary really did not look into it at all"

Yeah I guess the part where he teared up meant he was bored.

Haggischomper
03-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Gary didn't look into it? What???!!!? I didn't get that impression AT ALL. Quite the opposite.

Lacking?? Dull?? Nope, didn't find that at all. The only track I could have done without all night was the Olson GW thing that was kinda funked up. Didn't much like that one, personally, but the rest was first rate.

hicktopia
03-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Scalzunfield
...there were quite a few dull moments in the show.

Sure you're not thinking of an AGIB Wilco show? I find they have some pretty dull moments (especially when compared to other incarnations of Wilco...) :D

Emmylou
03-13-2005, 07:53 PM
I am mostly focused on Mark & Gary ....Razz third ( I love the fiddle and Razz)....drummer was better last night than in Madison but I just let it go...I wouldn't let that ruin my night....

I love Gary's playing especially on the SG, and he generally is the straight man to Mark's more animated showmanship. I think they balance and complement each other so well.

Scalzunfield
03-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Funny...I've heard several critics list them among the top live acts and I would vouch for them myself all things considered. I dunno. Maybe I just wasn't into it. And besides, I've seen the Jayhawks 4 times before last night and I would rank this 5th. I really missed Pearlman and O'Reagan last nite. I would have definitely preferred a solo acoustic Mark & Gary setting to what we got.

And Pretentious, in response to your always retarded comments: Your name now says it all. Go put on your Pink Floyd records again, light up your doob, and think about how the good ol' days are gone.

Scalzunfield
03-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by hicktopia

Sure you're not thinking of an AGIB Wilco show? I find they have some pretty dull moments (especially when compared to other incarnations of Wilco...) :D

You haven't seen them on tour lately. You should probably check it out. All I will say is: One live performance of either Spiders, Late Greats, I'm A Wheel, or even Theologians with this lineup is one of the most electric, awesome things I've seen/heard ever.

girl incognito
03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Gary didn't look into it? What???!!!? I didn't get that impression AT ALL. Quite the opposite.

Lacking?? Dull?? Nope, didn't find that at all. The only track I could have done without all night was the Olson GW thing that was kinda funked up. Didn't much like that one, personally, but the rest was first rate.

Hear hear Haggy!!!! Gary was clearly enjoying himself. I was really close by him and he was having fun...I mean he's not the type to just act like Pete Townsend, or jumping up and down and acting crazy...he's more like Justin Hayward in his on stage demenor and that's cool!!! The thing that does separate Gary from Justin is, well, I feel Gary is a much better guitar player and I have now seen both in concert and met both of them twice now. Justin is a sweetheart too by the way!

~Kristy ;)

PretentiousWilco
03-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Funny...I've heard several critics list them among the top live acts and I would vouch for them myself all things considered. I dunno. Maybe I just wasn't into it. And besides, I've seen the Jayhawks 4 times before last night and I would rank this 5th. I really missed Pearlman and O'Reagan last nite. I would have definitely preferred a solo acoustic Mark & Gary setting to what we got.

And Pretentious, in response to your always retarded comments: Your name now says it all. Go put on your Pink Floyd records again, light up your doob, and think about how the good ol' days are gone.

The good ole days are here, and were last night. Go put on Spiders and the Billy Joel rock of "Im a Wheel".

PretentiousWilco
03-13-2005, 08:28 PM

You haven't seen them on tour lately. You should probably check it out. All I will say is: One live performance of either Spiders, Late Greats, I'm A Wheel, or even Theologians with this lineup is one of the most electric, awesome things I've seen/heard ever.

You must have been to maybe 6 concerts tops in your lifetime. I heard the NYE show, what a snooze fest. And what a bad idea to play after the Flaming Lips on NYE, lol. Blown out of the water.

Emmylou
03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Please this thread has nothing to do with Wilco

and Wilco has nothing to do with last nights show.....

Back to Gary & Mark

Thank you

you may resume posting;)

Angelyne
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
The show was just incredible. Highlights of course were "Precious Time' and "Settled" I really can't even begin to describe just how magical it was. So no, I for one did not find it lacking in anything...except it ended too soon :(

I thought there were amazing harmonies some amazing playing, especially the 'Sister Cry' jam! I was sooo impressed with that one. Gary's comments about Custom Detroit Railroad were really glowing. You could just feel the mutual admiration on stage last night.

And the preshow was absolutely wonderful, seeing all the smiling fanpagers, sharing a drink and some laughs! It couldn't have been a more perfect evening! Tory and Jordan (Happy Anniversary), Mrs. and Mr. LiladyK, Haggy and Jenn, Emmy and John, Pedal and Fuzzface, Sandy, Norma, Joyce, Zombie, Icehaid, Butzodaddy, Kristy and hubby..and if I left anyone out, I apologize...It was wonderful seeing you all again :)

And here's to the rivet, thank you Gary for having a sense of humor and a sharpie pen!!!!

Emmylou
03-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Thank YOU Ange for setting up the pre-show party!

great meeting more fanpagers! Scared Roots, Tory & hubby(sorry forgot your name)....and Met the Haggischompers for the first time too!!

I was great seeing you again Ange and seeing a wee bit of Chicago....all crazy and green :p

hicktopia
03-13-2005, 08:36 PM

You haven't seen them on tour lately. You should probably check it out.
Nope, but between Easytree, the Via Chicago torrents, and trading, I've heard plenty of discs and seen several DVDs.
All I will say is: One live performance of either Spiders, Late Greats, I'm A Wheel, or even Theologians with this lineup is one of the most electric, awesome things I've seen/heard ever.
Those are definitely highlights, but that's just 20 minutes of a two hour show... Hummingbird, Muzzle of Bees, At Least That's What You Said, and Hell is Chrome makes for a dull stretch IMHO. But it's all just a matter of a taset anyway.

hicktopia
03-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Emmylou
Please this thread has nothing to do with Wilco

and Wilco has nothing to do with last nights show.....

Back to Gary & Mark

Thank you

you may resume posting;)
Oh, pardon me. I'll shut the f*ck up now.

Angelyne
03-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks EM, you are a doll! Great seeing all of you! Is that you in your avatar?

Next time you come to Chicago, you should stay a few days and hang out! Glad you enjoyed it!

girl incognito
03-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Angelyne

And the preshow was absolutely wonderful, seeing all the smiling fanpagers, sharing a drink and some laughs! It couldn't have been a more perfect evening! Tory and Jordan (Happy Anniversary), Mrs. and Mr. LiladyK, Haggy and Jenn, Emmy and John, Pedal and Fuzzface, Sandy, Norma, Joyce, Zombie, Icehaid, Butzodaddy, Kristy and hubby..and if I left anyone out, I apologize...It was wonderful seeing you all again :)

And here's to the rivet, thank you Gary for having a sense of humor and a sharpie pen!!!! [/B]

Oh, Angelyne, you are such a doll!! It was lovely to see you my friend!!! :D

~Kristy

Emmylou
03-13-2005, 08:49 PM

yea...me at about 9yrs...see the full pic in the "Candy" thread OT

I do plan to head back to Chicago and stay a bit. It was just a teaser trip this weekend......definately need to go back

Icehaid
03-13-2005, 08:53 PM

Thanks again Ange for setting that up. Great fun.

And again, I'm *really* sorry for what I did to your jacket at the show. :)

girl incognito
03-13-2005, 09:00 PM

yea...me at about 9yrs...see the full pic in the "Candy" thread OT

I do plan to head back to Chicago and stay a bit. It was just a teaser trip this weekend......definately need to go back

I really love the photo Emmylou...it's too cute!!!

~Kristy

Angelyne
03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Yes EM, that is a great photo! Kristy you are an angel too, so nice to have met you!

Icehaid, I've been cleaning ALL day! You could have done it on the side of the stage or something!

butzodaddy
03-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Thank YOU Ange for setting up the pre-show party!

great meeting more fanpagers! Scared Roots, Tory & hubby(sorry forgot your name)....and Met the Haggischompers for the first time too!!

I was great seeing you again Ange and seeing a wee bit of Chicago....all crazy and green :p

Thank you Ange and thanks to my wonderful clown posse companions PB, Emmy, and the fams, and RS for getting me the tickets and the cheap hotel room - sorry you couldn't be there.

The venue was great, the band was fantastic - every one of them.

:-J

Calexico
03-14-2005, 03:47 AM
Damn...this sounded like one of the best nights ever...in the history of the earth...EVER!!

And I missed it....frickin' shite!!!!!!!!:mad:

I suppose Chitown was gearing up a little for hundreds of drunken Irishmen this week too.....man I would have had some session after that show!!!:D

Haggis.....SLEPT?...inthe hotel room with the windows open....SLEPT???;)

Haggischomper
03-14-2005, 09:15 AM
a fella like me requires beauty sleep, Cale. Takes a lot of hard work and dedication to look this....shambolic. :p

Calexico
03-14-2005, 09:17 AM
I was going for the newlywed/sleep/no sleep angle there.

Obviously my abilities to drag everything down into smut are waning...or else.....YOUR ability to resist is growing!.....you are strong in the force,I can feel your indifference to smutty conversations from here!!:eek:

Haggischomper
03-14-2005, 09:25 AM
I was just too damn tired to be frisky after the show cale. The crazy, nutty neighbour over the road has us awake at 4am as he cleared his driveway of snow with his shovel scraping the ground. The prick could've swept it away with a brush, there was barely enough to call it a dusting.

Angelyne
03-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Calexico

I suppose Chitown was gearing up a little for hundreds of drunken Irishmen this week too.....man I would have had some session after that show!!!:D

Cale, you would have been seriously disturbed if you had to witness the the St. Paddy's day celebrations in Chitown this past weekend. Yes, it was Saturday when the thousands of drunken Irishmen hit the streets and the Chicago river was dyed green. I think that I even remarked to Haggy that you would be 'amused' with the clovers, leprachaun hats, green beads (a la Mardi Gras)...they looked like they were having fun AND that they would NOT remember a stitch of it in the morning!

Calexico
03-14-2005, 09:31 AM
25 Pints

A chicken supper

A puke

Wake up with your feet on the couch and your face in the ashtray with some suspicious looking mud all over your pants.

Can't remember a thing past 7 the previous evening.

A fucking great night out!!:D

Angelyne
03-14-2005, 09:36 AM
A fantastic night I'd say, except for the suspicious mud...:eek:

girl incognito
03-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Yes EM, that is a great photo! Kristy you are an angel too, so nice to have met you!

Icehaid, I've been cleaning ALL day! You could have done it on the side of the stage or something!

Awww thanks Angelyne!!

~Kristy oxox

dstep
03-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi folks!
I just logged in to join the forum, and to comment on the Chicago show. I have been a fan for a long time and seen them here many times, but all with the post - Olson lineup until Saturday. I personally think they have always been a hit or miss live band. I remember a terrific show at the Skyline stage on Navy Pier, and a crummy one at the Lincoln Avenue fest a couple of months later: also, a wickedly good concert last year at the Vic Theatre.

My personal feeling on Saturday's show is that it was fair at best, and sorely needed a bass player, so that Olson could play guitar or keyboard. When the violin player (by the way couldn't hear the violin at all up in the balcony) picked up a bass on a couple of songs the thread such as it was completely disappeared. He was dreadful, and I think that songwriters of this caliber and notariety deserve a decent group of backing musicians. Not once during the concert was a good vibe present in the ensemble playing of the group. Having said that, it was priceless to hear the giant chunk of Hollywood Town Hall songs performed by the original duo.

Scalzunfield
03-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by dstep
Hi folks!
I just logged in to join the forum, and to comment on the Chicago show. I have been a fan for a long time and seen them here many times, but all with the post - Olson lineup until Saturday. I personally think they have always been a hit or miss live band. I remember a terrific show at the Skyline stage on Navy Pier, and a crummy one at the Lincoln Avenue fest a couple of months later: also, a wickedly good concert last year at the Vic Theatre.

My personal feeling on Saturday's show is that it was fair at best, and sorely needed a bass player, so that Olson could play guitar or keyboard. When the violin player (by the way couldn't hear the violin at all up in the balcony) picked up a bass on a couple of songs the thread such as it was completely disappeared. He was dreadful, and I think that songwriters of this caliber and notariety deserve a decent group of backing musicians. Not once during the concert was a good vibe present in the ensemble playing of the group. Having said that, it was priceless to hear the giant chunk of Hollywood Town Hall songs performed by the original duo.

I was down in the front and couldn't hear the violin at all either or his bass playing. I would have much preferred Gary and Mark with two acoustics just hangin' and playin' over what we got. But I do agree...hearing those two sing those HTH and TTGG was excellent, but until they either a) drag Pearlman and a solid drummer back in or b) just get a real band back there, it's not worth the price of admission again.

sacred roots
03-20-2005, 04:08 AM

I was down in the front and couldn't hear the violin at all either or his bass playing. I would have much preferred Gary and Mark with two acoustics just hangin' and playin' over what we got. But I do agree...hearing those two sing those HTH and TTGG was excellent, but until they either a) drag Pearlman and a solid drummer back in or b) just get a real band back there, it's not worth the price of admission again.

Ssssshhhh....<whispering> good lord, man, are you trying to provoke Glacier/PW even further...you'll invoke his wrath with the mere expression of a personal opinion...i'll bet he's snarking around here somewhere and, judging from his recent emotional outbursts, he sure don't need anymore troll-food...

BTW, thanks for your candid opinions. I was at the Chicago show and am largely in sync with you:

couldn't hear the violin - check. I could barely hear it, either. Drums were too loud; gtrs maybe a bit too soft at times. Gary and Mark's voices -- individually or univoiced -- did sound very nice, though. Pretty poor house mix, IMO.

just Gary & Mark playing acoustic - check. Would've loved a lot more of that, too. The little sample we got ("Precious Time") was sublime.

hearing those two sing HTH & TTGG - double check. Undoubtedly a highlight for the vast majority of people who saw this mini-tour, present company included. Wish we could've heard maybe a few more examples of actual "new" material (again, the one sample of this, "Say You'll Be Mine," was great) but that's really kinda nitpicky. The "new old" stuff (aka the material from the so-called "mystery demos") pretty much made up for that, I thought. Quite fascinating how 13+ year-old lost recordings can come to life again.

the need for a "real" band - qualified check. I'd heard 2 weeks of reports about the rhythm section, so i had a good idea what to expect. There's almost universal agreement, i think, that there was room for improvement. The real question is, was it a significant enough factor to affect the enjoyment of the rest of the show? As much as i found the bass/drums part of the musical equation to be lacking, i was only myself moved to distraction on a couple of occasions. Could it have been better? Absolutely yes. Was it enough to overshadow what Gary and Mark were doing? Here's were reasonable people will disagree. There have been a wide variety of opinions about this topic over the last month and i've read virtually all of them with interest. Anybody who paid to see this tour is more than entitled to express their opinions. Anybody who has a problem with that is obviously not a "real" fan.

future expenditures on Olson & Louris shows - here's were our opinions differ. I can't think of a reason i wouldn't pay to see:
[list=1]
Gary and Mark
Gary
Gary and whomever
Mark
Mark and whomever (these last two may come as a surprise to those who mistakenly think i'm an Olson-hata, but the stone cold truth is that i've paid to see him plenty of times over the last 10 years and i will continue do so.)

[/list=1]

Calexico
03-20-2005, 10:03 AM
I can see your points but how much did the show ticket cost?

8/10/12 dollars?That seems pretty cool for me.I have paid loads more and seen some shitty shows.

Although this doesn't take into account all your travelling,hotel,eating etc. expenses.

Some shows are great,some not so great.But y'all did get to see them..which is more than I did.:(

I am gonna get hopped all over here for having an opinion on a show I never saw!

PretentiousWilco
03-20-2005, 10:42 AM

but until they either a) drag Pearlman and a solid drummer back in or b) just get a real band back there, it's not worth the price of admission again.

:rolleyes:

The guys who wrote all the Jayhawks material aren't worth paying a ticket for?

Ridiculous. Go back to your Goo Goo Dolls cd.

sacred roots
03-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Calexico
I can see your points but how much did the show ticket cost?

8/10/12 dollars?That seems pretty cool for me.I have paid loads more and seen some shitty shows.

Although this doesn't take into account all your travelling,hotel,eating etc. expenses.

Some shows are great,some not so great.But y'all did get to see them..which is more than I did.:(

I am gonna get hopped all over here for having an opinion on a show I never saw!

I sure won't be raining on your parade. You're perfectly entitled to opinion away -- isn't that what this board's for?

I think with fees, tickets on this tour were in the $20-30 range. Considering the historical nature of this event of the season, i don't think too many people were complaining. I certainly don't remember any complaints about prices around here, not that i expected any.

As for the limited number of tour stops, well, that's a different story. I guess we should feel lucky we got as many as we did, considering the seemingly fragile nature of the "renunion." Heck, my wife and i had to travel 400 miles to see the show, and we live in Jayhawks Central! There are undoubtedly a ton of Jayhawks fans who didn't get to see this tour, and a sizeable chunk of those fans live in the very area where the band first got its start (although we did get the New Year's Eve warm-up). Anyway you slice it, that's a strange deal.

There sure does seem to be fair amount of pent-up demand remaining. Maybe if the stars are right, the "reunion" will continue in some fashion at some point down the road. That, of course, is up to Gary and Mark, but if they don't pick it up again, it won't be because of poor ticket sales, lousy press coverage or lack of fan interest. And, BTW, if it doesn't happen, it most certainly won't be because of complaints by fans on an internet message board... :rolleyes:

FWIW, my wife and i probably dropped around $500 for our long Chicago weekend (Fri-Sun). We do that frequently -- usually to see some show(s). This time we got the Olson/Louris thang plus a great Centro-matic show the night before, plus all the usual good eatin' and good shoppin'. Even did a little "bonus" stop in Mad-town on the way back. All in all, it was money well spent.
:)

Calexico
03-20-2005, 12:51 PM
$500 doesn't sound too bad for a weekend away with some good tunes,nice eating and drinking and some shopping.If you can afford it of course.:p

Yea...maybe one day the guys,in whatever form or guise,will come back to Europe and we can stop living vicariously.

I do understand how sound mixes and what not can be a pain in the ass.Been there many times.Sometimes though it's just the vibe of the night and the coming together of like minded people and hearing some great singers....that makes up for any technical glitches or dodgy bandmates.

I remember seeing Pavement with Gary Young playing...or should I say trying to play,drums.He was all over the place but I still loved the show.Each to his own I suppose.:)

Scalzunfield
04-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by PretentiousWilco

:rolleyes:

The guys who wrote all the Jayhawks material aren't worth paying a ticket for?

Ridiculous. Go back to your Goo Goo Dolls cd.

To me, it was worth 15 bucks, but not much more. The drummer was so terrible back there and showed no emotion. I really would have preferred an acoustic set to what we got if I would have known about that drummer ahead of time.

It was worth it just to see them...once. I'd have trouble stomaching that again without Mark on guitar and a real bass player and drummer accompanying them.

And I'll go back to A Ghost Is Born and sing it loud and clear for you to hear good buddy.

PretentiousWilco
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
I actually like a few tracks on AGIB quite a bit.

greekguy
05-21-2005, 05:46 PM
AGIB has completely stood the test of time with me. Still listen to it often.

Calexico
05-22-2005, 03:21 AM
I bet you don't.......I bet it's buried underneath a load of Richard Marx albums.

greekguy
05-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Here we go again.

Emmylou
05-22-2005, 07:20 PM
i thought he was the Status Quo man??? you dig 'em don't ya GG?

Calexico
05-23-2005, 03:37 AM
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour,but heaven knows I'm miserable now.

greekguy
05-24-2005, 08:31 AM
i thought he was the Status Quo man??? you dig 'em don't ya GG?

I do...

Calexico
05-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Yea but Boogie Man is the REAL Status Quo fan around here.

Haggischomper
08-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Next time you come to Chicago, you should stay a few days and hang out! Glad you enjoyed it!

And....as if by magic....

Angelyne
08-22-2005, 09:42 PM
'tis magic yes indeedy! :)

Emmylou
09-05-2005, 12:44 PM
and so soon it will be real