PDA

View Full Version : Lexington

poorlittlefish
03-12-2005, 09:18 PM
God oh God am I tired! I'm going to bed soon, but I wanted to write my review first. I spent the past 2 hours catching up on 2 days worth of posts. You guys sure are chatty! :D

What can I say? I had such a good time last night! They opened up with Pray For Me and they were just on fire from then on. The crowd was amazing and it was just one big singalong. My favorite moment had to be when they played Blue, just because everybody in the place started cheering and singing along and Mark had this huge grin from ear to ear. Like he couldn't believe it. It was just magical. Gary had his SG most of the night, but he also switched over to acoustic for some of the RDM songs and he was playing his Telecaster, too for a couple of songs. His solos on that SG just blow me away. Didn't care to much for the Tele, though. Couldn't really hear it, maybe that's why or maybe I'm just so used to hearing him play the SG. And there was the appearance of that infamous rivet. Don't know if you Chicago goers are gonna see that or not. I couldn't take my eyes off of Mark all night. He was just so into it and happy, and I've never seen Mark live (with the 'Hawks or Creekdippers) before, and he's really fun to watch. He makes funny faces. Enjoyed the fiddling courtesy of Mike Russell, especially on I'd Run Away. But he was kind of hiding in the back all night. I just really enjoyed the concert and I took a few pics and got a few pics with Gary & Mark. I made Gary guess who I was. He got me on the 2nd try. I'll post the pics or a link to the pics later. I was thinking about making a photo page for this trip on webshots or something. Got some cool shots and not just of the band. The Waffle House made for some very inspiring shots or maybe I was just being goofy. Anyway, I really liked Lexington a lot. A lot of friendly people and just a beautiful city. Definitely want to visit there again. I didn't want to leave to begin with, but you know, back to reality! I didn't get a set list, but here's what I remember (and not in order):

Pray For Me
I'd Run Away
Waiting For the Sun
Sister Cry
Poor GW
Worn Out Cotton Dress
Ruins of East Berlin
Angelyne
Save It For A Rainy Day
December's Child
Say You'll Be Mine
Baltimore Sun
Five Cups of Coffee
Clouds
See Him On The Street
Over My Shoulder
Two Angels
Two Hearts
Crowded In The Wings
Take Me With You
Settled Down Like Rain
Blue
Ann Jane
Tailspin
One Man's Problem
End of The Highway
Walk With Them
Custom Detroit Railroad

I think that was all of it, although, I am not really familiar with all of Mark's stuff, so I could be missing something here. And we didn't get any covers. Hopefully, one of the folks who did get a set list or kept notes can post it in order!

fallen0047
03-14-2005, 08:02 AM
I grabbed the set list and handed it to the people who were trying to reach it. I glanced at it and saw they had varied from it significantly, anyway. I spoke with Mike after the show. He had monitor problems and could only hear himself in the position he was in. But BOY! was he on! Your right about the tele. The gain was too low and I think Gary dropped it after a few songs. The mix was a magnitude better than the Indy show. I don't think they have that venue worked out yet. Great bar!! Did you see their Winter 05 lineup?

TheShakey1
03-14-2005, 03:14 PM
That's weird...I always thought I was signed up on this board. Oh well, I am now.

Anyway, I wanted to post my thoughts on the Lexington show. Nothing too terribly profound, just some observations. First and most prominent was the change in dynamic from the old days. Gary really seemed to be the driving force of this little band and also seemed to be the focus of the crowds attention. I always remember Mark being the guy out front and leader of the band. I guess ten years in the spotlight has done wonders for Gary's confidence. People were really grooving to Gary's songs. Although it was difficult for me to tell if Gary was having as good of a time.

As stated before, Mark really seemed to be enjoying himself. But then again, I don't think I've ever seen Mark NOT enjoy himself. The fan adjulation was oozing on Friday night and Mark certainly was soaking it up.

It was a little dissapointing to look at Razz's back all night, but I can understand his actions. His dismay at the monitor troubles was evident on his face. Especially when he sat at the keyboard. His playing WAS spot on.

I missed Marc...He adds so much to the Jayhawks sound. An underrated bassist in my opinion. Mark played well, but he's no Perly.

The criticism of Ray should be dispelled at this point. I though he was a great asset to the line up. Very understated...he really let the guitar and vocals shine.

I hope that these guys will get together again, someday soon. That "univoice" that LilLadyK describes is wonderful to hear live again after (almost) 10 years. That's TOO long to wait.

I also wanted to give a shout to my new friend Jeff (WheelhouseTunes), it was great to meet you. Hope your travel back to Seattle went smoothly. Say hi to the Space Needle for me. Thanks for the DVD.

Later,
TheShakey1

wheelhousetunes
03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey Shakey, your review also reflects my thoughts about the show. It was great talking to you and your wife. It's a small world that we happened to live in the same area just a few years apart.

The crowd at the Dame were definitely the most enthused of any of the shows I saw. Made it a very enjoyable night. I don't know if it was the fact that it was a weekend show or what, but it created a very cool vibe for the whole set. The cheering after songs was maybe the loudest I've ever heard. I also gladly participated in the sing-alongs...

I didn't see anyone recording it, but if one surfaces I'm sure the cheering will be prominent.

Todd, glad to see you made it home alright. I know the weather got pretty harsh. I made it up to Cincinnati the next day just in time to get out of there before the cold and snow hit. If you ever get back to Seattle let me know and we'll grab a brew.

Peace,
Jeff

Emmylou
03-14-2005, 04:59 PM
don't think I've ever seen Mark NOT enjoy himself.

so very true.....I didn't realize how much I have missed him on stage...so great to see him enjoying performing so much.

Haggischomper
03-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I heard mark talking to someone after Chicago (might have been Pedal) and he mentioned that the Lexington crowd just screamed from the moment they got on stage to the moment they got off and never let up.

The magic of bourbon, methinks....!

LiladyK
03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
yes you're right, Mark was talking about that to Pedal and I in the lobby

CarlB
03-14-2005, 07:59 PM
The Lexington show was indeed special.

During the first few songs, Gary seemed somewhat distant. But after the crowd got into it - you could see him starting to really enjoy himself.

Mark seemed to be having a good time from the get go.

The music was great.

One my way to Lexington, I cranked up the car stero and listened to HTH and TTGG. That was great preperation for this show. Can't begin to explain just how great this show was.

Here's to Jayhawks past and future. Regardless of what happens - there will continue to be some great music coming from these folks.

Let me reinforce the comments about the crowd - they were into it. Lots of familar faces - lots of fine people.

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:17 PM
here's one of this guy

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:18 PM
and another one of that same guy

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:20 PM
and there he is again...

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:21 PM
this one has that guy in it again with another guy

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:23 PM
and then there's this guy

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:25 PM
you can almost see up this guy's nose here

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:26 PM
blah blah blah this guy again

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:28 PM
and now he's on piano

(this 60 second BS is killing me here)

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:29 PM
and there's a cup in front of that piano guy's face and then there's that fiddle guy... it's pretty cool I guess. This is my last picture. Is that 60 seconds, yet? I hope so....

Emmylou
03-14-2005, 10:32 PM
that last pic with the cup in the way reminds me of the cover of the Wilco Book....ohhhhhhh Jayhawks book....yesssssss...sounds verrrrry interesting....;)

poorlittlefish
03-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Hope you all enjoy the pics. I'm off to bed... 10 hour day tomorrow... grumble grumble....

Haggischomper
03-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks PLF, I enjoyed those. Interesting to see the Tele - don't recall Gary even throwing a glance it's way all night in Chicago. We got the SG all the way (except for the acoustic songs).

Shug
03-14-2005, 11:23 PM
"I also wanted to give a shout to my new friend Jeff (WheelhouseTunes), it was great to meet you. Hope your travel back to Seattle went smoothly. Say hi to the Space Needle for me. Thanks for the DVD."

Ditto that from me, too, Jeff. Great hang in Atlanta and Nashville.
You rock!

JumboFun
03-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Mark man, change your shirt...

poorlittlefish
03-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by JumboFun
Mark man, change your shirt...

Yeah I noticed that, too. Both Gary and Mark wore the same clothes in Lex as they did at the Chicago show.

Haggischomper
03-18-2005, 06:18 PM
let's hope it was a 'buy two get one free' deal with the shirts.

Calexico
03-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Great pics PLF....those guys sure do get around!!

I suppose the clothes will now show up on eBay for auction!Some crazy fan will buy them like people did with the Beatles toilet roll!!

Now who would be kerazy enough to do that?:confused:

Haggischomper
03-19-2005, 02:35 PM
I looked into the authenticity of the Beatles toilet roll but it turned out to be full of shit.

*ba-doom CRASH*

poorlittlefish
03-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Calexico
Great pics PLF....those guys sure do get around!!

I suppose the clothes will now show up on eBay for auction!Some crazy fan will buy them like people did with the Beatles toilet roll!!

Now who would be kerazy enough to do that?:confused:

Thanks Cale! I can think of a couple of chicas from this board who might buy Gary's jeans.... you know - the one's with the rivet...

Amy Beth
03-19-2005, 06:06 PM
PoLilFish- Thanks for sharing those pictures! It's always cool for me to see photos from a show I was at - especially since I was stuck in the back for this one.
The comments about the crowd - I agree. And on my way back from the bathroom I thought I heard a comment comparing the crowd to shows in Spain? Anyone else catch that?

Calexico
03-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by poorlittlefish

Thanks Cale! I can think of a couple of chicas from this board who might buy Gary's jeans.... you know - the one's with the rivet...

Oh yeah...I know the rivet....and I can guess who would be bidding on them too!!:rolleyes:

bobgordon
03-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Amy Beth
PoLilFish- Thanks for sharing those pictures! It's always cool for me to see photos from a show I was at - especially since I was stuck in the back for this one.
The comments about the crowd - I agree. And on my way back from the bathroom I thought I heard a comment comparing the crowd to shows in Spain? Anyone else catch that?

A comment from someone in the audience or from Gary?

poorlittlefish
03-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Amy Beth
a comment comparing the crowd to shows in Spain?

Yeah, Gary did say that.