The End of The Highway

E: Precious Time*
Baltimore Sun*
Ann Jane*
If You Really Want Me To, I'll Go*
Bad Time*
Clouds*

*with Buddy Miller on electric guitar

Wow, talk about how much the night to night differences in those intangible 'x factors' can affect the intensity of a show! I thought the vocal harmonies and duets were clicking in Atlanta on certain tracks, well the Nashville show has become to my ears a whole new yardstick of what good vocal harmonies are! Man, they were strong and sweet, especially on the HTH and TTGG songs. Huge difference from Atlanta. Blue was damn near perfect with Gary rising up above Mark on "...one day..." and "...someone..." just like on the record, those two little moments that never fail to send shivers up my spine when I listen to the record.

The sound started out with Mark's vocals too loud and Gary's vocals and guitar too low, but that got evened out by about the 3rd song and things started to sound real strong. Great bass part from Mark on One Man's Problem and I'd Run Away was much stronger than the night before. Things jumped up a notch when guest Buddy Miller came out. Sister Cry was probably 6 or 7 minutes with a nice little section with Gary and Buddy trading guitar parts and Mark on keyboards. Angelyne sounded more fleshed out with a second guitar, nice solo from Buddy on this one, too.

The show really hit its stride from Crowded In The Wings to the end of the show. All the old songs were just nailed, so good!! Gary reminded Mark to engage in stage patter (in a funny way) and Mark was really animated and obviously having a great time. It was funny, though, when Mark couldn't remember Tim's name and Garyhad to say it for him and then sarcastically said "good friend" or something to that effect.

Crowded, Waiting, and Two Angels were performed in their full glory, seriously a jubilant celebration of the brilliance of the original recordings. It was at this moment that I thought "yeah, the magic is DEFINITELY still there!!!" Two Hearts and Over My Shoulder were even stronger than the night before, totally killer and heartbreakingly lovely.

On the constructive critical note, once again the RDM songs sorely missed some vocal harmonies (but Rainy Day was greeted with cheers of recognition when it was started and they are so strong they were much appreciated). Mark just barely sang on those songs. He did play better bass parts when he wasn't singing, though, so it was a trade off. Gary did some really excellent backing vocals on Mark's songs, especially on The End of The Highway. Razz sounded great to me, he didn't overplay or step on Gary's toes at all, IMHO. Ray Wood did alright. He didn't make any mistakes that I noticed, but he was pretty stiff in his playing. I felt sorry for the difficult position he is in.

Chatting with Gary and Mark separately after the show, they each told us that they felt this show was a particularly good one, so it confirmed our perceptions, which was kind of cool.

all in all a good argument for seeing multiple nights if you can. Maybe this helps explain the wide range of opinions about the shows on this tour?

Calexico
03-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Great review Shug.....nice surprise guest too in Buddy Miller.Sounds like the Chicago show could be the one ring to rule them all....now where did I hear that before?:rolleyes:

Haggischomper
03-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Buddy Miller! Holy crap. You lucky ol' so and so!

Shug
03-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Hagg, we saw a guy we thought was you, even went up to ask him. thought you did somethin' crazy and came on down South for a show. Maybe he was your double, checking out Buddy Miller for ya.

PS Celebrity sighting: Brian Setzer in a restaurant before the show, took a photo with some fans from the table Buddy was sitting at.

I guess that's the cool thing about being in Nashville or LA or NYC or Chicago, you never know who's going to be in town and might sit in.

Haggischomper
03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Uh oh. There's two of me?

Calexico
03-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Haggischomper
Uh oh. There's two of me?

Naw.....that WAS Noel Gallagher.:D

true-k
03-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Oh my, (in french, spanish, italian and any other dreamy language!)

YOu are so lucky to get the show with buddy miller. I just saw him play in my town, and I think I posted. He had these italian guitars that he bought years ago for cheap. Wow....
Please say someone taped this show?

I KNEW nashville would be a good one. I was ready for the great news, just didn't know how special it would be. I must consider a trip to nashville next time, lesson learned.

great post, thanks for the news.

greekguy
03-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I've seen Brian Setzer around here (MN) a few times recently. I think his wife is from the area. He is the only person I can think of who has been on the Simpsons who I have seen live in person.

Wichita
03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Nice article on Buddy Miller in todays Chicago Tribune

illbecominhome
03-12-2005, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by greekguy
He is the only person I can think of who has been on the Simpsons who I have seen live in person.

Mmmm, Aerosmith comes to mind... And WOW!!! Buddy Miller!!!
I'm sure Musky will be green with envy! ;)

greekguy
03-12-2005, 09:21 AM
I have not seen Aerosmith live, but I just remembered that Elvis Costello has been on. That makes two.

Calexico
03-12-2005, 09:29 AM
What about the time you met Michael Jackson around the back of your restaurant?

Haggischomper
03-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by illbecominhome

Mmmm, Aerosmith comes to mind... And WOW!!! Buddy Miller!!!
I'm sure Musky will be green with envy! ;)

Well, if he wants to be on the Simpsons he better turn yellow instead!

greekguy
03-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Calexico
What about the time you met Michael Jackson around the back of your restaurant?

Actually, that was Leon Kompowsky.