Tailspin
Clouds
Rumsfeld (End of the Highway)

E: Baltimore Sun
Five Cups Of Coffee
Settled Down Like Rain
Ann Jane
Bad Time

Sara Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion opened, Gary sat in on one song.

Man, how great to hear Gary and Mark singing together again. There were truly some blissful moments with songs I never thought I'd get to hear again. Highlights for me were Two Hearts and Over My Shoulder. The duet singing really clicked on those songs (and on Sister Cry, Two Angels, Ann Jane) with Gary and Mark really projecting into the vocals. Blue and I'd Run Away were not that strong to my ears, mostly due to Mark's reserved, tenative vocals on those songs. I've heard that scenario many times, where the 'hits' are played rather lackluster while the gems are played with gusto. I was so glad to hear Two Hearts and Over My Shoulder, personal favorites (yeah, I like the heartbroken stuff best :) Mark played some really nice bass on several tracks, notably his McCartney-esque melodicism on Say You'll Be Mine. Gary played the SG or the acoustic all night, didn't touch the Tele. He played some great solos with lovely twang (See Him On the Street sounded killer, surprisingly punchy)

Mark's solo songs were good, I liked the wobbly ramshackle feel to his tunes as a change up from Gary's beautiful melodies and tight song structure.

The RDM songs really missed having backing vocals, because Gary sang alone on those. Gary dedicated Tailspin to the 'fanpagers (is he trying to tell us something?! :) and said that he was sorry he couldn't make it to the Yacht Club before the show! I guess he really does read the board and pay attention. That was so cool! Really nice to meet wheelhouse and jumbofun. Never did meet up with frankseven or wingnut, though.

Off to Nashville this morning...

tarphippie
03-10-2005, 10:55 AM
after reading some of the other postings about the gary/marc tour, I have to admit that I had no idea what to expect.

in this fan's opinion, i thought they were fantastic. no animosity, great blend, good song choices. one of the best shows i've seen.

thanks guys.

biggiebill
03-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Great show last night!!!!
I've been greatly looking forward to this show and they definitely exceeded my expectations.

Gary played the SG all night exceopt on about 5 songs, here's the one's I noted him playing the acoustic Bangor on: Angelyne,Blue(I think),Tailspin,Baltimore Sun.
Mark played bass most of the night, here's what I noted when he did not play bass(this is probably not complete):piano-1 Man's Problem and maybe East Berlin(that's the Mark piano tune on the setlist) and his electric Fender on December's Child.

Great crowd in the house last night. We were on the rail directly in front of Gary(and his amp). I was the guy in the arm sling. Probably missed some of the other instrumenation because of that but the SG sounded great!!!!

The show was right at 2 hours long.

I did not notice any problems with the supporting musicians at all. Gary is such a professional and just put on one hell of a show in my opinion. Mark truly seemed to be loving the opportunity of working with Gary and you could see how much fun he was having performing these songs.

I really enjoyed Johnny and Sarah Lee's set last night. Gary plugged the new CD from them several times from the stage.
Gary played the SG when he sat in with them on the title track Exploration. They also did a neat new Pete Seeger tune about Dr. Martin Luther King. They ended with a really good song titled Prove It(I think).

I did overhear Gary ask that people NOT try to contact Rick Rubin. Personally I believe that album will come out when things stabilize at the labels(assumming that ever happens). I gave Gary a few live shows of some other musicians, figuring there are alot of miles still left between here and home.

Unfortunatey there were no audience tapers. The one guy I know who does field recordings had other plans. This would have been a great audience tape because of the sound setup and crowd respect. I'm hoping there are some good recordings of the other shows.

All in all an exceptional show, I wish I could haul ass up to Nashville tonight but it ain't gonna happen.
Suppose I could always fly up to Chicago, who has an extra?????????

Thanks for all the music and best of luck in whatever the future holds!!!!!!!!!!
Bill

Smokestack Joe
03-10-2005, 11:36 AM
"Sara Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion opened, Gary sat in on one song."

how was this performance?? what song did gary sit in on?

NY Fan
03-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by biggiebill
I did overhear Gary ask that people NOT try to contact Rick Rubin.

Gee, Gary must be really thrilled with the board right now...

Oh, for the record, I don't think ANYBODY sensed any 'animosity' between Gary & Mark at previous shows...

biggiebill
03-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I really enjoyed their show. Johnny plays a big ol' Gretsch and had an old(60-70's maybe) fender amp. Sarah plays piano for most of the tunes. Did about 10 songs that I think were really well recieved.
I'll be seeing them whenever I can, hopefully that's often as they are living in South Carolina.

tarphippie
03-10-2005, 11:48 AM
are on New West Records (along w/ John Hiatt, Drive By Truckers and Old 97's)

great label

http://newwestrecords.com/home.php

thoroughly enjoyed my first time hearing them

PretentiousWilco
03-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by NY Fan

Oh, for the record, I don't think ANYBODY sensed any 'animosity' between Gary & Mark at previous shows...

several malicious reviewers posted otherwise.....

NY Fan
03-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by PretentiousWilco

several malicious reviewers posted otherwise.....

Really? Animosity?

Show me where.

Shug
03-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Smokestack Joe
"Sara Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion opened, Gary sat in on one song."

how was this performance?? what song did gary sit in on?

check the Sarah Lee and Johnny topic in OT section. Sounds like the song Gary sat in on is called Exploration.

melody
03-11-2005, 02:52 PM
I've seen the Jayhawks (in all their glorious versions) several times over the years, but this was my first chance to hear Gary and Mark together. I'll smack myself later for writing something so goofy, but it was magical.

Gary and Mark hung out after the show to meet fans, and they were very gracious. Caught without anything to offer for signing, I requested a kiss and got a big kiss on the mouth! Thanks for that Gary. Every good day should end with a mouth kiss, right?

frankseven
03-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Sorry I missed the Yatch Club as well...the wife and I didn't get to the show until around 8:15...our first trip together to Atlanta since the birth of our son in November. So, hanging out before the show was out of the question and we left at 11:15...Ann Jane? Damn, I knew I'd miss something...they were singing Settled Down Like Rain as we left...spoke with Johnny Irion on the way out. He was genuinly fired up about the night. I met Wheelhouse. That's a tall fellow, and I'm a short fellow.

The show was glorious. But I'll just be blunt. Why not get a bass player? I'd bet you could find about a million guys that would do it for next to nothing. Mark didn't do that bad, but he's just not a bass player. If they would have had a solid bass player, It would've been blissful.;)