PDA

View Full Version : Mark and Gary in Alexandria

jebstuart
03-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I thought the show this evening was great. The last time I saw both of them on stage was ten years ago in Athens, Georgia. The harmonies were right on the money and the show was mistake free. I remember that Mark always seemed to embellish songs in the past but not today. He really was in good form and his voice was strong. I particularly enjoyed the Ruins of East Berlin and Cotton Dress. I have never heard the songs before and its hard to believe that they never made a B side on one of the many singles. Precious Time was super. Much better than Maria McKee (although she rocks!). Marks songs from Political Manifesto were good too. Much better live than on the record. We were given a special treat with Stephen McCarthy playing on a number of songs. He seemed to have a great time and acted like best buddies with Olson. I just wished that he had brought his pedal steel guitar. He is amazing on that instrument. Of course Gary was the backbone of the show. My money says that they will make another record sometime down the road. I just wished that I had heard 5 Cups of Coffee. Oh well. I am thankful for a night I won't forget!
________
Vaporizer wiki (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

Smokestack Joe
03-07-2005, 11:33 PM
i love it that all these special guests are sitting in on a few numbers.

too bad tweedy's out of town when mark and gary hit chicago...

hicktopia
03-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Hmmm, I guess jeb and hester must have gone to different shows...

goody59
03-08-2005, 07:52 AM
It depends what you're looking for. If Rainy Day Music is your jumping off point, then this show might leave you wanting something else. I havent heard a string of great pop numbers like those on RDM, since Marshall Crenshaws debut, or Southside's Hearts Of Stone. But if you've been able to absorb the whole catalogue (Incl Creekdippers), then this show will have alot of appeal. The band must have rehearsed for a very short time prior to going out on the road, the tour is very short, so your not gonna get the tight sound the Hawks have. I llike Mark on the keyboards, especially if it gets Razz on bass, the sound is fuller. The drummer, I'm sorry to say is overmatched and really adds very little to the evening. Change him, go out for a few more months (minus killiing each other), and I bet the sound would be first rate. I still would have preferred if they hadn't treated this as the tour to support the TTGG followup, Rainy Day Manifest, which is what it is. No songs from 1996-2001, a handful from 1985-1990, and 1 song done for a movie soundtrack. But I am VERY VERY THANKFUL to see them together for the first time, had a great time, and am looking forward to anything they release, in any combination, in the future.

Fisheye
03-08-2005, 12:56 PM

My thoughts exactly hicktopia!! I wish I could attend one of these shows myself.

Later

PretentiousWilco
03-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by hicktopia

Jeb and Hester are pissed off Bush supporters.

Mosby
03-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Jeb and Hester are pissed off Bush supporters.

PW- How do you infer this about Jeb? His report of the show was positive and complimentary of Mark's material. Do you actually read any of these posts or do you just react like a crack whore mistaking a mothball for a $100 rock?

PretentiousWilco
03-08-2005, 04:11 PM
yeah I did not mean to include Jeb.

Where is your review Mosby?

Mosby
03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Where is your review Mosby?
It's in the general section titled "Birchmere"

Calexico
03-09-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Mosby

do you just react like a crack whore mistaking a mothball for a $100 rock?

Funny,very funny....yet strangely unsettling.....like you have seen said scene with your very own eyeballs!!:eek:

Mosby
03-09-2005, 02:10 PM
...like you have seen said scene with your very own eyeballs!!

Nah Cale, that simile was just the product of a vivid imagination.

tboneya
03-09-2005, 08:19 PM
hey was at the show too, this was the third time I have seen Gary, he was great of course but as a new hawky fan...I was really off by marc singing and political music.
I loved the sound with stephen....they match each other so great.
Hope to see the jayhawks again in true form.
By the way marc is a great musician, and a truely great bass player.
Overall the show was great.

jebstuart
03-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah the political songs can be a little grating. Especially if you like George. I suppose if it were 1974 we could all understand a little bit better. Funny how U2 could make smash hits in the 80s about political topics and Olson's songs kinda bomb in 21st century. None the less what a great show. Hey my grandaddy lives in Luray and the Page Valley is one of the best kept secrets in Virginia!
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)