PDA

View Full Version : Reunion

Floyd
03-05-2005, 07:39 AM
This is the first time I've had a look at this board in a couple of months and as you can imagine I was surprised and delighted to see that Marc and Gary have teamed up again. My view is that this is a healthy development . The evidence points to them doing some recording together. I noticed that someone said something about not bringing Marc back as Gary had brought the Jayhawks to another level. Preposterous nonsence. The only Jayhawks albums that are regarded as alt-country/americana classics are Holywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass. Sound of Lies is probably up there with them but they have been treading water on the last two albums with maybe half the content worthy of inclusion on a Jayhawks album. Marc Olson's last album was a much better effort than Rainy Day Music. Hence the desperate need to see what these guys can do together again. Marc Olson is worried about people accepting him back into they fold as well as whether people would consider him a Jayhawk again. i don't think that the man who wrote Clouds or Sister Cry should ever have such worries. Get on with it guys and make us some great music!!!!!

wolf
03-05-2005, 08:40 AM
For me,Marc's last album and RDM are two totally different animals and really can't be compared.

But,after seeing them onstage this past week I think that they have alot to offer TOGETHER.

I like to think that they can make any type of music that they want whether it's together or not.

dave

Chaosdan
03-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by wolf
I like to think that they can make any type of music that they want whether it's together or not.

Including death metal jazz??

redHERRING
03-05-2005, 09:31 AM
all day long everytime I picture Gary doing a hip hop version of Dying on the Vine in my head. Thank you for sparking that demented part of my imagination Dan. But hey, you are the one that worked up a kick-ass funkified version of Haywire for the tribute CD. You proved it is possible for Jayhawks music to transcend genres. So in that spirit, could you imagine....

Robert Goulet and Leonard Cohen covering You Look So Young?

Sonic Youth playing Take Me With You?

Skankin' Pickle playing Stick in the Mud?

A George Bush/Michael Moore duet of Two Hearts?

George Clinton covering Pretty Things?

one more, and I promise to stop contaminating our beloved Jayhawks songs....

Squirrel Nut Zippers playing Crowded in the Wings?

bobgordon
03-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by redHERRING

Squirrel Nut Zippers playing Crowded in the Wings?

What a fantastic band! First time I see their name around here. Great! I'm sure that would be a hell of a cover. What about Royal Crown Revue covering "Big star"?

illbecominhome
03-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Luis, you should check Jules' posts. Actually I think I talked about the Zippers not long ago :rolleyes: Don't you remember she said she wore Katharine Whalen's shoes during some Carnival party or something like that? Katharine Whalen... if there's a voice similar to Billie Holiday's thesedays, that's hers.

bobgordon
03-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Ooops! :o I definitely didn't see that post, but somehow I expected you would answer my comment :D I can only check the board during the weekends so it's difficult to keep up to date, specially lately with so much activity.
Partying with Katherine Whalen? That sounds like a cool story. She does have a great voice. Perennial favourites is one of my all time favourite albums. Btw, I recently bought Lady Day's complete recordings for Columbia 10 cds box-set for 30!!!! That's what I call a bargain!

Chaosdan
03-05-2005, 12:04 PM

LOL!! What an image!! :D

Calexico
03-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Imagine the 'alternative' video...made for the Uncut DVD....the swimsuit duet!!:eek: