PDA

View Full Version : Am I alone in not wanting Mark to rejoin the Jayhawks??

bryguy
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I've given my thoughts in another thread, but I truly believe that the Jayhawks are much better without Mark.

I think there best music has come after his departure. Yes, there were some great songs when Gary and Mark were together, but they pale when compared with what they've done since.

Ready to take some heat,
Bryan

Chaosdan
03-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Well, you're wrong, but I respect your right to be wrong! :)

Haggischomper
03-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Hope you voted in my unofficial and unscientific poll!

Calexico
03-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Well you make take some heat but feel free to express your opinion.

I think Gary has taken the reins of this band and led them to greatness.With Mark it may or may not have happened who knows.But I for one would like to see some kind of record come out of this tour.Maybe a duo recording.

Mark has his own thing going too and may not want to get tied down long term.

Either way it is good to seem them back making music .

bryguy
03-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey Haggi-
Dig the pic...did vote in the poll.

It's good to be right..hehehe.
Bry

hellaciousc
03-04-2005, 11:44 AM
if Mark wants to rejoin, i think that' be awesome.
If the Jayhawks continue without him, that'd be fine too.
Or if Gary puts out his own music, that's cool.

As long as there is Jayhawks-related music out there, i'll be buying it and listening to it.

Chaosdan
03-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by hellaciousc
if Mark wants to rejoin, i think that' be awesome.
If the Jayhawks continue without him, that'd be fine too.
Or if Gary puts out his own music, that's cool.

As long as there is Jayhawks-related music out there, i'll be buying it and listening to it.

Yeah, that's the bottom line for me. As long as these guys together or seperately, solo or in a band keep releasing good records, I'll be a happy chaosdan!

PretentiousWilco
03-04-2005, 12:22 PM
you didn't see one of the shows, did you bryguy?

greekguy
03-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Any vehicle that puts Gary front and center at a venue near me is ok with me. If Mark being in the band is the impetus that puts them there, than more power to em.

bryguy
03-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey PretentiosWilco-
didn't see one of the shows, wish they would have come to the west coast. But whether or not I saw them wouldn't change the way I view the two bodies of work (with Mark, without Mark). I don't doubt Mark's talent, I just don't relate to it nearly at the level I relate to Gary's work.

NY Fan
03-04-2005, 01:06 PM
While I'd like to see a Mark/Gary record out of curiousity, I'm not at the point where I'd like to see Mark rejoin the Jayhawks.

If a Mark/Gary record came out and their songwriting together was at its former heights, and the band dynamics were working with Tim & Perlman, I might feel differently...

... but maybe not. I like the more electric guitar-driven, sometimes poppy, sometimes dark and introspective direction that the Jayhawks have taken since Mark left.

Clearly, those songs would not have been written with Mark in the band, as he isn't writing those sorts of songs himself. And that's fine.

Calexico
03-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Chaosdan

Yeah, that's the bottom line for me. As long as these guys together or seperately, solo or in a band keep releasing good records, I'll be a happy chaosdan!

A happy chaosdan???

Surely you jest Sir!!There cannot be such a thing...it is unthinkable,illogical,unfathomable....the universe surely wouldn't allow an anomaly like that to exist!!

We would see the end of all we have held so dear!!:eek:

goody59
03-04-2005, 02:20 PM
I'd like to hear Mark record in a proper studio, with a real producer, with anybody. December's Child with A+ production, and minus Vic's voice would have been stunning, and I really like it now as it is. Tell me that Still We Have A Friend, Decembers Child, etc wouldnt sound great mixed with the best of RDM. Although I love getting double the output with each separate release, I love the contrast of styles the 2 bring when together. Hawks-solo-smog-hawks-solo, etc..... Wouldn't that arrangement give everybody time to get everything out there they would want?

wheelhousetunes
03-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Gary and Mark were meant to sing with each other.

Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass are two of the best albums of the decade and, IMO, of all time.

Hell yeah, I'd love to see Mark back and a new album.

Peace,
Jeff

PretentiousWilco
03-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by wheelhousetunes

Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow the Green Grass are two of the best albums of the decade and, IMO, of all time.

Peace,
Jeff

well said. As all of the reviews have stated, " the sum of the parts is better than the parts seperate".

Haggischomper
03-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Calexico

A happy chaosdan???

Surely you jest Sir!!There cannot be such a thing...it is unthinkable,illogical,unfathomable....the universe surely wouldn't allow an anomaly like that to exist!!

We would see the end of all we have held so dear!!:eek:

Plus, he'd have to sell all his Smiths albums.

redHERRING
03-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I only have one point to make that is only peripherally related. It was truly excellent to see Tim and Perlman come into their own in making such excellent song-writing contributions to the Jayhawks which only really happened after Mark left. I welcome Mark back as long as we can still get the same delivery from Tim and Marc, as they wrote some of my favorite Jayhawks songs. Thank you, that is all.

PretentiousWilco
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
I think you make some good points Reddherring. But I would defer the song selection process to whoever has the best song for the sake of the continuity of the record, rather than just for the sake of being "fair".

I think Perlman's best song by far was Aint No End, and that was with Olson in the band.

When I look at RDM I think that Tulsa to Tampa is really a great song by Tim. But then I think that DLTW is a pretty mediocre song. As for Perlmans contribution I can't say I am crazy about it either.

Like you say, I would like to see full cooperation, but only if it's because the material is deserving and fits the thematic flow of the record.

Bryn
03-05-2005, 01:50 AM

Peace,
Jeff

What you said my friend.;)
Heres a question for anybody. For my money the production on SOL was superb, why didn't Gary use the same team again on any later recordings?

elliegurl
03-05-2005, 12:18 PM
i am of the opinion that whatever makes gary happy and inspires him to make music is cool with me. i love mark and gary playing together, i loved it when tim easton was playing in the jayhawks...i think the rainy day music is just the best!!! the band in, sounds like lies, is way cool...and its great to hear that golden smog is going to do a cd, but i think gary is the jayhawks right now and has been for awhile since mark left, but whoever plays on the cd adds a lot as well!!!! i kinda like it when things change a little and people get inspired to do different things...change is good and sometimes doing things with different people inspires others to make very cool music!

:)

ellie ps still hoping jay farrar and jeff tweedy get together again sometime!

Sean
03-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Peace,
Jeff

Exactly! Mark and Gary are two guys who are meant to sing together! Someof the best harmonies of the last 20 years, along with the great songs they have written together!

bloodshovel
03-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by elliegurl
ellie ps still hoping jay farrar and jeff tweedy get together again sometime!
What is the temperature in hell these days? I'd just be happy if Farrar and the Boquist Brothers got back together.

Chaosdan
03-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Calexico
A happy chaosdan???

You're right, i'll keep my smiles in check. grump grump grump.

Hey, here's an idea! Why don't they record a double album... one disc with Mark and Gary handling all the songwriting/singing duties, and one disc without Mark, with the RDM line-up? Then everyone from, from PW to NY Fan and everyone inbetween, will be happy!

Calexico
03-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by bloodshovel

What is the temperature in hell these days? I'd just be happy if Farrar and the Boquist Brothers got back together.

Fucking 'A'!!:D