PDA

View Full Version : Bowery Ballroom

JimDead
03-03-2005, 01:24 AM
They put on a really fine show tonight. I'm going tomorrow too.

Very generous performance. Gary and Mark's harmonies were excellent. Gary's guitar work was super, as always, and Mark's bass playing was exceptional. Totally blew me away.

These guys complement each other so much. The main thought i walked away with is that Mark takes so much heat off gary. When they're trading songs back and forth, gary gets to take a break and just play his guitar in some spots. It must be difficult for him to have to be the front man on every song with the Jayhawks.

This was my 5th Jayhawks/Olson-Louris show. I saw them in Chicago on the Hollywood Tour; in Lexington, Ky., around '94; again in Lexington, sans Mark, after Sound of Lies, and in the Bowery Ballroom on what I think was the last date of the Smile tour.

Seems like you have a pretty call board here so I wanted to register and share a few thought with y'all.

Closing thought: I want a new Olson/Louris record.

jblankoh
03-03-2005, 08:50 AM
A couple of quick questions:

--Was there an opening act?
--What time did they go on?

thanks much!

JimDead
03-03-2005, 08:53 AM
No opener. They went on just after 9.

goody59
03-03-2005, 09:16 AM
No opening act. they came on about 9:10. It was a great show. Mark was quite the character on stage, with the wild facial expressions, etc. They opened with Pray For Me. Mark's songs were received well, definitely some eye rolling during George Bush Industriale though. The RDM songs were probably the most well received, Gary in great voice, Mark blasting away on bass, especially during One Man's Problem, which was outstanding. Harmonies were nice, especially during Say You'll Be Mine, which I thought sounded better than the record. A couple of hiccups, Mark sang the wrong opening verse on Five Cups, and one of Gary's harmonicas wasn't working, so he through it into the crowd where it was caught by the guy right in front of me. Funny hearing songs being introduced as being from the Mystery Demos, gee, I wonder where they got that title. All in all, I had a great time, going back Friday with my wife to hear some more.
Setlist same as Philly except (insert East Berlin somewhere near Walk With Them, ) in the main set, one encore (no Dont make Promises/Reason To Believe), and Five Cups either was a late main set or early encore, its all a blur. Great venue, sound was fine. Razz was excellent, but I thought the drummer was just ok. And of course, plenty of Gary groupies standing near me.

JimDead
03-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I agree. Fiddler was very good and added to the band's sound, Drummer doesn't know some of the songs and just stays in the pocket - which isn't such a bad thing.

nutshell
03-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Goody, I pretty much agree with your impressions. I went to Philly show as well, and thought last night was so much better. Philly was great, but last night they just seemed so much more alive! Perhaps it is because of the venue? Philly, beautiful place, but seated, while BB was a standing crowd. Also, they had a day off before last night. The guy who caught the harmonica is UWS Fan from our board. He has not been able to post for some time, but says "hello" to everyone here on the board. Also met Mark, who flew in from Brussels for the show last night and tonight...way to go! First time in America, and for a Jayhawks show!! Great to see both of you guys. So many of the songs sounded so good last night. Different from a regular '03/'04 Jayhawks sound, but great in a different way. Standouts included the RDM stuff ( Mark flubbed it and called them the Rainy Day Women songs! got a laugh out of Gary, who then said to Mark, "busted!"). Also East Berlin is GORGEOUS. And I liked Cotton dress a whole lot too. And a stunning version of Crowded in the Wings. Went right into WFTS, except then that's when Gary had harmonica problems. Threw it out into the crowd, searched for the right one, then said to Mark, "I threw the wrong one out"

nutshell
03-03-2005, 09:40 AM
All in all they seemed happy to be playing again together. Mark is wonderful to watch onstage. Gary, cool as ever. No SG yet. Gary's tele kept putting out this really wah wah feedback sort of sound that you could hear humming during breaks. He could turn it off with a foot button. Want to tell so much more, but I think I'll let people see some of this for themselves firsthand.

ericcd
03-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Should I bother bringing my Blue Earth poster?

Did Gary and Mark hang out at all...?

It sure would look purty if they signed it...

jnaps
03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Not sure if they hung around afterward or not. I bolted as soon as the show was over so I could get to bed before 1:30 AM. I'm dragging a bit today but am ready for night #2!

I totally agree with the reviews written about the show so far. Can't say I'm the biggest fan of some of Mark's Creekdipper stuff but it was cool hearing the old songs with him on stage- a bit like a time warp. One side comment I will make though is that I really hope this little reunion doesn't change the direction the full band has been moving in. As much as I like the earlier stuff, I really think the band's highest quality work has been created since Mark's departure. SOL and RDM are masterpieces and I think Gary's solo voice (with some backing from the Tim and the gang) is a huge part of that.

With that little sidebar out of the way, it's time to head into the city for night number 2! Can't wait!

docsnyder
03-03-2005, 11:05 PM
amen on the idea of a louris/olsen record...this tour should shake that one loose if anything does....

hardtohandle
03-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Brilliant!!

NY Fan
03-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by hardtohandle
Brilliant!!

It was a very good show last night, with some of the bugaboos people have mentioned elsewhere.

The drummer's learning curve seems to especially weigh heavily on Gary at times, but let's face it, in a band setting Gary is used to playing with the same 2 guys for 10/20 years, or his Golden Smog brethren, all of whom would be session pros in any studio.

I actually felt a little bad for this drummer, mostly because he did not seem to be enjoying himself, and Gary was trying to give him cues all night that he often missed.

Gary had the SG flown in last night, and split his time between the Tele, SG, and acoustic. No harmonicas made their way into the audience (or I would have stepped on someone to get one). No real surprises in the set list.

At one point late in the show, Mark introduced the band. When he got to Gary, he said "Gary Louris, from the Jayhawks," pretty explictly stating that a.) this was not a Jayhawks show, and b.) Mark is not in the Jayhawks.

It is always great to see Gary perform, and I thought Mark was in better voice than I expected. His solo material -- at least what he played last night -- does not go over nearly as well as the RDM songs that were played, but it is fun hearing his voice with Gary's after so many years.

Having said that, I certainly missed Tim and his songs and backup vocals, and Perlman, and the presence of a Stephen or Kraig. But then again, this wasn't a Jayhawks show, as Mark reminded us.

After the show I mentioned to Gary that many people are excited about a new Golden Smog record, and he seemed jazzed about that too. I specifically did not ask him about the future of the Jayhawks. He's got enough people asking him that every day, I'm sure, and we'll know something when we know it.

Oh, one funny moment (there were a few): During the encore, someone shouted out for "All the Right Reasons." Gary, away from the mic, mouthed "He doesn't know it!" and pointed at Mark, without Mark seeing it. Gary kind of smiled and shrugged. It was funny, I guess, if you were there.

One more: Gary dedicated "Save It for a Rainy Day" to the Fanpage folks!

O.k., just one more, and I am not joking and Nutshell & co. can confirm this: Gary asked where Greekguy was.

Going back tonight...

-- Glenn

jeffer72
03-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Hey there,

Just so you know, there was an opening act last night at the Bowery and the Jayhawks went on around 10:00.

Great show!

Cheers,

- Jeff

Calexico
03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by NY Fan

O.k., just one more, and I am not joking and Nutshell & co. can confirm this: Gary asked where Greekguy was.

Going back tonight...

-- Glenn

What!!!???:eek:
I hope you told him that he was far to busy to bother going to see the shows!:D

NY Fan
03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Once I used the keyword "gyro," Gary said: "Say no more. I understand."

Just kidding. Told him greekguy was a Twin Cities dude. Gary said "I get confused about where you all are."

Met a fan who flew in from Brussels for the show, and a nice young woman who made a pilgrimage from Japan! too.

Calexico
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Japan and Belguim eh?

Way to make someone feel totally inadequate for not travelling there Glenn!:(

Japan and Belguim....must have been a rocking time at that table I bet!

Haggischomper
03-04-2005, 11:36 AM
The Japanese are mad crazy for music. I remember turning up 3hrs early to a pub across the road from a Cheap Trick gig in Glasgow and there were about twenty or thirty Japanese ladies queuing up outside the venue. Those people are diehards.

crowes13
03-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Any special guests sit in with the band at last night's show?

NY Fan
03-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by crowes13
Any special guests sit in with the band at last night's show?

James Mastro, formerly of the Health & Happiness Show, owner of the Guitar Bar in Hoboken.

goody59
03-04-2005, 01:53 PM
opening act? How about tonight?

NY Fan
03-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by goody59
opening act? How about tonight?

I think the intro said 'for tonight only' -- anyone else remember that?..

goody59
03-04-2005, 02:46 PM
For anyone going tonight, my wife and I will be easy to ID- we will have nametags that read Goody59, and Mrs Goody59. I apologize for not coming up with something more clever than that, but after hearing afterwards that the guy who caught the harmonica right in front of me was a fanpager, this is what I came up with on short notice.

ericcd
03-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I had a great talk with Gary and Mark (who both signed the Blue Earth poster I brought...:D ). Gary asked about PretentiousWilco. He wanted confirmation that it was, in fact, Glacier in disguise. I told him that we suspected that it was. he kinda shook his head, but he had a nice smile, so I think he reads our board all in good fun. I think he realizes that we're not just crazy, we're actually informed music fans that talk about some cool things...it was a very pleasant talk...

Gary offered me $5 for my Blue Earth poster because he had never seen one. I asked him if he wanted me to sign it...(ha!)
It was a great night...

Anyway...I heard a rumour that the Crowes were gonna make an appearance at bowery tonight. It was buzzing through the place last night...

I just bought 10 tickets to see the Crowes at Toad's Place in New Haven (secret show 3/17)...

Haggischomper
03-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ericcd
I think he realizes that we're not just crazy, we're actually informed music fans that talk about some cool things

PFFFT!!!! Certain crazy people here who shall remain nameless were talking about Status Quo today so there goes that theory... :D

Emmylou
03-04-2005, 07:22 PM
had a great talk with Gary and Mark (who both signed the Blue Earth poster I brought... ).

Good Goin' Eric!!! I knew they would come through for ya....
Love that he wanted to buy the poster from ya!!:D

greekguy
03-04-2005, 09:57 PM

-- Glenn

I remember when you mentioned that he said that he thought I was from New York. That's funny to me.

kesterbeek
03-05-2005, 07:37 AM
The man from Brussels is back home. Had a great time in NYC. Met some great people (Lisa, Glenn,...) and the shows were fantastic. I saw Mark and Gary in 95, and I was curious if the magic was still there. Well, it sure did.

Thanks Gary and Mark for this little reunion tour. Hope to see you soon but at the other side of the ocean.

A popular belgian music magazine spoke about the Jayhawks-split. I'm gonna ask them to read more often the fanboard.

Marc

LiladyK
03-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ericcd
I had a great talk with Gary and Mark (who both signed the Blue Earth poster I brought...:D ). Gary asked about PretentiousWilco. He wanted confirmation that it was, in fact, Glacier in disguise. I told him that we suspected that it was. he kinda shook his head, but he had a nice smile, so I think he reads our board all in good fun. I think he realizes that we're not just crazy, we're actually informed music fans that talk about some cool things...it was a very pleasant talk...

Gary offered me $5 for my Blue Earth poster because he had never seen one. I asked him if he wanted me to sign it...(ha!)
It was a great night...

Anyway...I heard a rumour that the Crowes were gonna make an appearance at bowery tonight. It was buzzing through the place last night...

I just bought 10 tickets to see the Crowes at Toad's Place in New Haven (secret show 3/17)...

Sounds like a great night for you Eric, that's really cool:cool:

For the record: YES, PRETENTIOUSWILCO IS GLACIER, PROOF POSITIVE :p

nutshell
03-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey, glad you made it back home safe Marc...missed you at the last show!

Last night (Friday) was simply amazing. Best of the three NYC shows. The guys keep getting better and better. Blue was magical, truly. Could not get the smile off my face during this one. Quite a lot of other perfect "univoice" moments (you got it right on that call Lilady!). No two people sound better together, anywhere. No surprises on the set list until Chris Robinson came out. People went wild when he sang "Sing me back home". Gary looked happy. East Berlin is my current new favorite...perfect voice blend. Got the set list at the end after asking Mark if it was ok to take it...he motioned yeah, take it. I'll try to scan it in later.

Goody, it was nice to see you, wanted to talk to you more later, but couldn't find you. I think I was still too in awe of the show when you first came up to say hi. UWS fan, great to see you again too! What fun! Where was smilin' and NY Fan????

Jayhawks fans are the best fans! Hope everyone has a good time at the shows. You're in for a treat!

hardtohandle
03-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I was at the Thursday night show and had a blast. Mark and Gary were really nice to spend the time talking to us after. I saw quite a few people taping and when and if these shows surface I'd love a copy of the show. If the guy taping from Plainview reads this board, I'm the woman you met also from Plainview. And seeing as I am a huge fan of the Black Crowes I'd really love to get my hands on Friday night's show.

Interesting thing was that someone asked Gary Thursday night about the Jayhawks being done and he said something about maybe being time for something else and then I said to him "well the Black Crowes are back" and he said "Yeah I know, they'll be here tomorrow." Being that the show was sold out I couldn't go Friday night so I was bummed. But I'd love to hear a tape if it ever at all possible.

And yes I know that they shows were just the other night and I'm not looking for the shows at this moment it was just a mention in case the guy from Plainview reads this board.

Anyone going to any other show...enjoy them...

Peace...

goody59
03-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Definitely a great room to see a show. I thought the mix was excellent Friday, better than Wednesday when Mark's bass dominated. George Bush Industriale and Senator Byrds Speech were dropped out of the setlist, the show in total only 26 songs, but much serious jamming between Gary and Marc Ford. Highlight for me was an incredible Sister Cry, with Mark O on keyboards, Razz on bass, Marc Ford on guitar, 5 instruments, just the way it ought to be. Harmonies were great, though Gary's voice wasn't as fresh as night 1. Chris Robinson looks like a guy who has spent too much time with Cheech and Chong, but sounded great on his one song. Nutshell, we had to run, as the sitter was going into her 8th hour. I'm hoping we'll get another shot later in the year for all of us to meet up again, if the Smog can get things together. To all those still crowded in the wings waiting for their show, enjoy!!!:) :) :)

girl incognito
03-05-2005, 06:38 PM

One more: Gary dedicated "Save It for a Rainy Day" to the Fanpage folks!

-- Glenn

Wow! That was really sweet of Gary! I'm glad you had a great time at the show.

~Kristy

Angelyne
03-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the reviews! I love the Chris Robinson/Cheech and Chong reference. It's good to see the setlist changes, I can't freakin wait until Saturday!

Calexico
03-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Haggischomper

PFFFT!!!! Certain crazy people here who shall remain nameless were talking about Status Quo today so there goes that theory... :D

*throws a sheet over that copy of 12 Gold Bars*

Emmylou
03-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I can't freakin wait until Saturday!

I am with ya there Ang!!!!! I still can't believe the show is THIS coming Saturday!!!!! I am going to Chicago!!!! yeeee haaaww
:D :D :D :D :D

Angelyne
03-06-2005, 11:56 AM
It's less than a week now...so glad you are going to be in Chitown Emmy! :) and all the rest of ya too!

Haggischomper
03-06-2005, 04:12 PM
I hope I don't get lost. :p

greekguy
03-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Haggischomper
I hope I don't get lost. :p

Just make sure to reference the big tall buildings.

MauryOM28V
03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
This was only the 2nd time I've been to a "Jayhawks" show and it was very good. I've been a fan since HTH, but it turns out that I never got to see them live until last year. I caught the Louris/Perlman/O'Reagan/pedal steel guy (sorry) a year ago and I have mixed emotions about last Friday's concert. I LOVED the Gary/Mark vocals but I sorely missed Perlman and O'Reagan. It almost seemed like Mark didn't know the new material. So many great harmonies were missed on the later stuff, and Mark's bass playing was definitely a different vibe compared to Perlman's. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show - but I really think the 2004 Jayhawks ... while not "authentic founding members" were a better band. No flames intended. Did anyone else leave Friday's show feeling like I did? FWIW Gary and Mark had enough great moments to make it more than worth it for me. I was just hoping Perlman and O'Reagan were the secret special guests :(

Maury

Truscott
03-06-2005, 11:21 PM
You're not the first to come away from one of these concerts with those thoughts.

Mark and Gary were maybe wise to emphasise that this was not a Jayhawks tour, but rather just a chance for the two of them to relax and enjoy performing together. From the sounds of things, they're doing just that.

PretentiousWilco
03-06-2005, 11:57 PM
" No flames intended. Did anyone else leave Friday's show feeling like I did?"

I left the Madison show feeling overwhelmed at the fantastic experince I just witnessed, and so did the people I was with. It was a joy to see Gary and Mark singing together again. I definitely would like to see a tour with Marc and Tim included, and Razz as well. But I was just glad to see Gary and Mark perform again. I was blown away by the intesity and fire with the two combined. Maybe this is because I saw the second show of the tour and they might be getting tired.

I would definitely like to see a new Jayhawks album with Mark on board , combining some new material with the best of the mystery demo's. These guys could still win a grammy. No joke.

NY Fan
03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
You know it is nothing shy of a major disappointment to the guys that there have been NO articles -- aside from a few lines in a Fortune magazine article, of all places, from a guy who left after an hour -- on the New York shows.

(I mean coverage of the shows themselves -- not the 'break-up' non-news stories that got picked up and/or amplified, i.e., the NY Post piece.)

I don't get it myself -- especially the lack of a piece from The Times, which has done a few lengthy and complimentary pieces on the Jayhawks.

There HAD to be press at these shows -- there were 3 consecutive shows, and I know there were musicians and music industry people there -- so why haven't there been any stories?

Kind of weird. I can't think of any GOOD reason why a reporter at one of these shows wouldn't write ANYTHING.

true-k
03-08-2005, 08:46 PM
re-- no press

We all have good taste. The real world out there (north america) does not have good taste. What makes money is 'survivor' the 'bachelor'
'fear factor' etc. etc. What someone would bust there asses to go out and cover is what the general public wants to read about.
Maybe REM, U2 , Norah Jones.....average taste, common taste and we all have uncommon better taste in music than all of them.. Hell, Bono got invited by my prime minister to play our capital city of Ottawa. Guess he likes U2

Flavour of the moment is covered. New things are written about, these guys are not news until there is a scandal or trouble.
The world is not fair, and you just have to plug along and believe in what you are doing regardless, and find the people who love you regardless. There is a big, big wide world out there, and these guys are celebrated like crazy in spain, holland, UK and it's sad that at times you have to expand your horizions to keep your career alive. It has enhanced their lives, and one day the US press will wake up. Or not, but all of the younger ones coming after us will know of the jayhawks and louris/olson legacy when it comes down to history.
Currently in the ny times it was an article about all the 'ills' bands, (new stuff )--the stills, the thrills and the kills. That is the music news. We can forcast if any of these will have the body of work in 20 years like the jayhawks have.
I am right brain probably, or whatever as I'm left handed, and I don't struggle to understand the work a day world anymore, it doesn't speak to me at all.

NY Fan
03-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by true-k
re-- no press

We all have good taste. The real world out there (north america) does not have good taste. What makes money is 'survivor' the 'bachelor'
'fear factor' etc. etc....

Oh, I certainly understand this, but I don't think that's what's going on here.

The Times, the Daily News, the Post -- NONE of them had anybody come to the shows? Impossible for me to believe, considering there was a STORY here (the Mark/Gary reunion), and they've covered regular releases in the past.

I don't think it's as simple as 'flavor of the month' stuff.

PretentiousWilco
03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
The tour has had a ton of press elsehwere, and good reviews as well. Amazing since there has been no new material. Not sure why there was none for NYC.

marahstafarian
03-08-2005, 09:24 PM
There HAD to be press at these shows -- there were 3 consecutive shows, and I know there were musicians and music industry people there -- so why haven't there been any stories?

Kind of weird. I can't think of any GOOD reason why a reporter at one of these shows wouldn't write ANYTHING.

Well I'm a reporter, but I wasn't there covering the shows. I get to cover things like the environment, transportation and the Delaware State government. Still you can read my thoughts, which now that I reflect on them read a bit too much like a review, on the "General Jayhawks Discussion" page.

Jesse

siruol
03-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Anyone got the name of the opening act from the Thursday night
show in NYC?

Need it for the ole' concert list.
thanks.

Gary(or anyone else) - If you're out there reading, what's your favorite Spanish city? I think I'd have to go with Segovia. I love the auqaduct and castle, nestled in the mountains.

Highly recommend. The Spanish are some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Such good natured folk.

wellsie
03-10-2005, 11:09 PM
I was so glad to see that someone else was thinking this too! I saw that Fortune piece, and was very discouraged that I didn't see anything in any of the papers, especially since the Times reviewed some pretty obscure things on the same dates (and as you said has given the Jayhawks some nice coverage in the past).

Oh, I certainly understand this, but I don't think that's what's going on here.

The Times, the Daily News, the Post -- NONE of them had anybody come to the shows? Impossible for me to believe, considering there was a STORY here (the Mark/Gary reunion), and they've covered regular releases in the past.

I don't think it's as simple as 'flavor of the month' stuff.

ellison
03-11-2005, 12:22 AM
[/i]
Anyone got the name of the opening act from the Thursday night
show in NYC?

Last Town Chorus (from Brooklyn)

illbecominhome
03-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by siruol
Gary(or anyone else) - If you're out there reading, what's your favorite Spanish city? I think I'd have to go with Segovia. I love the auqaduct and castle, nestled in the mountains.

Highly recommend. The Spanish are some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Such good natured folk.

Well, thanks :) Segovia is a very beautiful city, only been there for some hours on an 8th grade trip though. Do you know Granada? If I had to choose one, that'd be my choice. Gary loves Cádiz, and surrounding towns from what I know.

Lenno
09-06-2005, 04:33 AM
Hey this was a great thread. I still do some reading from the threads I missed when I was "away". And this a great one!

NY Fan
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Lenno
Hey this was a great thread. I still do some reading from the threads I missed when I was "away". And this a great one!

You prompted me to re-read this thread, which I guess wasn't a bad thing. Brought back some good memories...

Hope you are well!

-- Glenn