PDA

View Full Version : Philly Show 2-28-05

Balloon Man
02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
First off the snow did not keep many folks away and the show was just fantastic. We got to meet David Sheenan from Columbus, Anodyne, and Phillyfan. As luck would have it, the people we were bringing baled out at the last minute (pussies) and Nutshell and her husband were able to join us at the very front table in front of Gary. The harmony was really tight (much better than the Iowa boot) but maybe that was just because I was there. I asked Gary (during a between song lull) if there was gonna be a "request portion of the show". He laughed out loud and asked what I wanted. I told him "Martins SongĒ but then they never got around to it. I met him after the show and he said he tried, but Mark didn't feel like it. Mark did notice my wife's "Good Bush/Bad Bush" shirt. (It's a picture of a womanís "crotch" and a picture of GW - hence the good bush/bad bush) Anyway, he pointed at it and laughed and said something like "Hey just for me". Another bizarre moment was when this rather drunken blond woman walked right up to the front and started mumbling incoherent things to Gary. She asked them to play a song called "King of Broken Hearts" and they said they didn't know it. She then asked if she could come up and sing and you should have seen Marks face. He shook his head real fast and breathed deep. It was hilarious. Show clocked in at just over two hours. Only my 2nd Jayhawks show lifetime but of course, one of the best of any shows I've ever seen. Will post more thoughts tomorrow as well as some pictures.

They did two Encores tonight and Gary came out to sign autographs and stuff after the show but Mark did not.

Philly 2-28-05
1 Pray For Me
2 Iíd Run Away
3 Detroit Railroad
4 Say Youíll Be Mine
5 One Manís Problem
6 See Him On The Street
7 Walk With Them
8 Sister Cry
9 Senator Byrd
10 Angelyne
11 Blue
12 Cotton Dress
13 Poor GW
14 Crowded in The Wings
15 Waiting for the Sun
16 Two Hearts
17 Two Angels
18 Decemberís Child
19 Save It For A Rainy Day
20 Over My Shoulder
21 George Bush Industriale
22 Clouds
23 Tailspan
24 End of the Highway

25 Settled Down Like Rain
26 Ann Jane
27 If You Really Want Me to Iíll go
28 Take Me With You When You Go

29 Five Cups of Coffee
30 ?Promises You Can't Keep? (Tim Hardin)
31 Reason to Believe

ellison
02-28-2005, 11:40 PM
aahhh, another good time had by fellow board folks...

sacred roots
03-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Balloon Man
30 ?Promises You Can't Keep? (Tim Hardin)

Wow! The song is "Don't Make Promises" from the late, great Tim Hardin (who, of course, wrote "Reason to Believe"). Mark and Gary probably haven't done this one since 1988 (unless they've done it in the last few days :) ).

Calexico
03-01-2005, 05:50 AM
Great review Baloon Man...did you bring your 'It's Me' baloon with you?:D

Even the bands choice of covers is great..Tim Hardin...Respect to Mark and Gary!

bloodshovel
03-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Too bad about the woman -- its always sad when the audience tries to become part of the show.

Calexico
03-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by bloodshovel
Too bad about the woman -- its always sad when the audience tries to become part of the show.

Unless it is a live show in certain parts of Amsterdam.

With snakes.

And ping pong balls.

And audience participation.

muskytoes
03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Balloon Man

26 Ann Jane

Ahhhhhhhh
Exxxceeelent

Atta boys
Keep it up

Anodyne
03-01-2005, 03:44 PM
How the hell did I miss this drunk blond woman I've seen two references to already? I did a really quick run once to the ladies' room. I guess that's when I missed it.

Baloon Man and Nutshell, I got a great photo of the three of us and Gary. I'll post it on the board later and have copies made to mail to you guys. PM me with your addresses. Great show. Great time. Gary was sooooooo cool with us after the show.

kenti
03-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I was sitting at the bar, so I got to see a lot of the drunk blonde woman as well as the drunk idiot (Eddie - he introduced himself to my friend & I) who kept yelling nonsense to Gary & Mark. She even danced with a total stranger for two of the encore songs. You're lucky you missed her, Anodyne.

But, despite the distractions, we had a great time at the show - glad you did too.

Balloon Man
03-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Anodyne!

Great Avitar!

is that new?:cool:

lilybandit
03-02-2005, 03:23 PM
actually, I got a great photp of the 3 of you...called over to be in a photo, then handes the camera...

i'm changing my moniker to "chopped liver"

Anodyne
03-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by lilybandit
actually, I got a great photp of the 3 of you...called over to be in a photo, then handes the camera...

i'm changing my moniker to "chopped liver"

Lily,
I am so sorry if I/we blew you off. It was truly not intended at all. Personally, I was really in a daze at that point.

greekguy
03-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Anodyne

I was really in a daze at that point.

So, was the daze induced by your photo opportunty, or was it the fortified wine?

:D

Anodyne
03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by greekguy

So, was the daze induced by your photo opportunty, or was it the fortified wine?

:D

LOL! Definitely the photo opportunity! I honestly wasn't really drunk, although my fiance accused me of it! I was high on life at that point. I admit, I was hogging Gary that night! :D

lilybandit
03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
never saw gary as the big ladies man way back then, but i guess he was right to pursue that "rock star" road to life.

that, and all the talent in the world that draws and inspires all of 'em...

including the girls!

ceddy10165
03-04-2005, 01:16 PM
ann jane! 2 shows in a row, the first by request (which sounded sublime btw). so it goes to show that requests work folks, and may even go into rotation. put on your thinking caps...

scuzzles
03-04-2005, 02:32 PM
My first Jayhawks show too. It was a nice little venue. At times a little too quiet for my tastes. I thought the drummer was too soft, made them sound like a lounge act, dinky little drum set, and just way too soft and no energy at all. There was ZERO security, I got my camera in (for pics after the show). Nobody checked anything which was surprising, hopefully someone recorded the show. The sound was great, performance was good, not much screw ups. I think the song they stopped, laughed and restarted could've been "Take Me With You When U Go". Gary screwed up the lyrics. Very funny. I was right behind the blonde chick when she went up to Gary, I didnt hear what she said. I just figured she requested a song that they couldnt play. The drunk guy in the back was just blabbing about the snow, and changing lyrics relating to the snow storm outside. Obnoxious to me. At one point I yelled something from the bar and Mark pointed to the bar and said, "theres that guy we met in the parking lot". Which wasnt me actually but still cool he made the joke to me. They came back for 2 encores this show. Unfortunately the last 2 songs were covers. Id rather hear 2 JHawks songs rather than "Reason To Believe". After the show, Gary went to the merchandise stand and greeted everyone that was there. I asked them if they could play "Darling Today" in NY and Gary laughed and said they never played that song live and couldnt remember it. He didnt know where Mark was when I asked if Mark was coming down to join him. A bit later, I went back into the concert area and Mark was onstage cleaning up his equipment, which I found odd. Gary left and was out hanging out with his friends and Mark was being a roadie. MMMM. I wound up getting autographs and a pic with Mark which was cool, I imagine not many others did that night. Mark said he was looking to get out of there cuz he was looking forward to his day off the next day.