PDA

View Full Version : somerville theater show 2/25

jackf428
02-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Did anyone tape this gig other than me? I missed the last three songs, one being a great version of "Take Me With You When You Go". I asked Gary after the show if any shows from this tour will be released. He said "Possibly?". He also wished that the Somerville show had been recorded, because it had been their best so far. It was a fabulous show, although the "Bush" and "Robert Byrd" songs should have been cut in favor of a few more classics. Mr. Olson seemed to be having a blast, shooting out smiles left and right, particularly after flubbing a line. Let's hope this tour leads to something more lasting. Jack

p.s. - Have any other shows been recorded out there?

LOP
02-28-2005, 10:07 AM
I was lucky enough to catch The Jayhawks/Thorns at the Paradise and the Fillmore last year. After both of those shows I was completely psyched - they were awesome. I was really looking forward to the Somerville show. I was hoping for Dead End Angel and I'm gonna make you love me and figured All the right reasons was definite.

Custom Detroit Railroad - excellent! Gary / Mark singing together - awesome. Robert Byrd / Bush / Rumsfeld material - absolute rubbish! By the end of the show I would cringe if it looked like a Mark tune.

Gary was awesome as usual. The fiddle player was also awesome. The drummer might have fallen alseep? Mark has a cool voice, but Gary certainly doesn't need him to make outstanding music.

PretentiousWilco
02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
The fact that you think the Thorns are good explains everything.

trouser
02-28-2005, 12:15 PM
What do you mean by "that explains everything". I mean, I can see not really liking the Thorns, but I didn't see anything unusual in his post.

Anyway, I was at the Somerville show, too, and was thrilled with the older classics, and the harmonies were unbelievable at times. I agree that the drummer looked alternately bored and confused. He looked out of place, like he should be banging on overturned buckets outside, instead of playing with Gary and Mark. And, like the other poster, I was hating on the Creekdippers songs. Mark played and sounded great, and was having a blast. I just didn't dig the songs.

But my biggest question is: Just what the heck was spewed on Olson's shirt for the encore? Did he go back stage and take a bite from a Whopper or something and spill catsup?!? He was a mess!

Overall, great show. Got a signed copy of the Women's Club V2 as well!

jimmyp
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by trouser
I agree that the drummer looked alternately bored and confused. He looked out of place, like he should be banging on overturned buckets outside, instead of playing with Gary and Mark.

Mark mentioned that he was from joshua tree, so there must be some connection there...

But my biggest question is: Just what the heck was spewed on Olson's shirt for the encore? Did he go back stage and take a bite from a Whopper or something and spill catsup?!? He was a mess!

I was in the second row and can offer no insight into this mystery. whatever it was, it was nasty.

PretentiousWilco
02-28-2005, 01:43 PM
maybe his own vomit?

bloodshovel
02-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Could have been someone else's vomit. Scotland Yard has not yet come up with a way to dust for vomit.

trouser
02-28-2005, 02:55 PM
We couldn't even decide if it was external or if it came from inside his shirt - was it a wound? So funny! When the night started Mark looked ok, not as cool as Gary, but ok. Gary was wearing a dark jacket and jeans. Mark had a button down shirt and what looked like Haggar Doubleknit slacks. As the night went on Mark was more and more disheveled - sweaty, his shirt partially untucked, collar up, hair askew. Gary, on the other hand, was smooth and stylish. He looked totally in control, as cool as the other side of the pillow. It was a remarkable comparison.

Haggischomper
02-28-2005, 03:22 PM
as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Nice description! I really like that.

Emmylou
02-28-2005, 06:59 PM
yes haggie I agree....nice wording!!!

they are kinda like The Odd Couple aren't they.....it is always like that with those two

norma023
03-01-2005, 12:58 PM
well that is right on par then!! :P

....As the night went on Mark was more and more disheveled - sweaty, his shirt partially untucked, collar up, hair askew.