02-23-2005, 06:34 AM
AN EVENING WITH
M.OLSON & G. LOURIS
FROM THE JAYHAWKS
THE ARK
316 S MAIN, ANN ARBOR
TUE FEB 22, 2005 8:00PM

ELEVEN YEARS, EIGHT MONTHS AND TWENTY-TWO DAYS WAITING FOR TONIGHT

The last time I saw Gary Louris and Mark Olson perform together on the same stage was July 1, 1993. Now eleven years, eight months and twenty-two days later I got to see magic of this songwriting team perform as their billing stated "together again."

And what a venue to see Olson & Louris perform together for the first time in a decade. The Ark in Ann Arbor is a terrific venue with the feel of a mid sized university lecture hall. A general admission venue with seats made for a orderly yet respectful crowd.

The gentleman beside me, that attends many shows at the Ark, stated that there was a certain reverence that he did not often see at this venue as fans of Mark Olson & Gary Louris took their seats. Even with the venue having a bar behind the doors of the hall, the crowd very rarely screamed out requests for songs or interupted the night of music.

Also the sound in the Ark was excellent through out the entire concert, which was a pleasant surprise being such a small venue.

Mark and Gary took the stage around quarter after eight with Razz Russell on fiddle, bass, keyboards and backing vocals and Ray Woods on drums, backing vocals and photographer. They opened the show with two songs off the last Jayhawks album that featured the duo, 1995's "Tomorrow the Green Grass." The songs were "Pray for Me" and "I'd Run Away."

Unlike the last time I saw Mark Olson with the Jayhawks or the one time I saw Olson perform with his wife Victoria Williams, instead of playing guitar he was on bass for much of the show. After the concert I overheard Mark telling a fan that he was really enjoying playing bass on this tour.

Mark was the first to talk to the audience by stating those were two old songs now we're going to try something new and he went on to introduce "Custom Detroit Railroad" which for obvious reasons got a great response from the Michigan crowd.

After "Poor Michael's Boat" and a fantastic version of "Say You'll Be Mine" Mark said "We're here for the long haul, so sit back. We've got plenty of songs coming at you." The next being the Louris number "One Man's Problem" from the Jayhawks 2003 effort "Rainy Day Music." This was the first song of the night that I missed Tim O'Reagain, Marc Perlman and Stephen McCarthy. This feeling came back nearly everytime Louris did a song from the last Jayhawks album.

The band then went into "Ruins of East Berlin." After the song was finished Mark stated that it was recorded during the time of the "Mystery Demos" unreleased tracks recorded by the Jayhawks in 1991.

Mark then led the guys through "Walk With Them," the first of five songs from his most recent effort from the Creekdippers from 2004 titled "Political Manifest." Then they played the second of three songs from the Creekdippers "December's Child" album called "Still We Have a Friend in You."

The oldest Jayhawks song performed on this night was "King of Kings." Mark said "All the way to the first Jayhawks album on Bunkhouse. It's supposed to come out." Gary interjects with a smile "Supposed to." And Mark finished the thought off by saying "It's caught up in the Bermuda Triangle of the record industry. We signed off on it."

The crowd really roared when Mark and Gary began playing "Sister Cry" the first song of the night from their classic 1992 album "Hollywood Town Hall." With the euphoria of seeing Mark and Gary together again I didn't notice it as much with the first two songs, but when they performed "Sister Cry" I really noticed how much has been missing from the Jayhawks since Mark's departure. Like Lennon and McCartney it's just not the same when Louris and Olson are together.

After "Sister Cry" they ran through the Creekdippers "Senator Byrd Speech," the post Olson Jayhawks "Angelyne," and the mystery demo "Worn Out Cotton Dress" I noticed that the show had a really nice pace to it and that they weren't ever focusing on one album for more than a song or two or three.

The first musical dedication (the second time it was referred to as a tribute) of the night was to Doug Sahm who passed on in November of 1999. The performed the Sir Douglas Quintet number "If You Really Want Me To I'll Go." When Mark state this goes out to Doug Sahm, the crowd gave a strong response.

The second song from "Political Manifest," "Poor GW" got a laugh from the crowd. But after introducing Razz and Ray to the audience things got very serious with three songs in a row from "Hollywood Town Hall." The three tunes were "Crowded in the Wings," "Two Angels (also on "Blue Earth")" and "Waiting for the Sun." All three versions were great though I would prefer it if Gary was on electric guitar for "Waiting for the Sun." The riff on that song is killer and it doesn't come across on a acoustic guitar.

Gary kept the acoustic for the next two songs "Two Hearts" and "Save it For a Rainy Day." Before putting his Fender Telecaster back on for Olson's title track from his 2002 album "December's Child." After the song Gary says "I love that song" making Mark smile.

At the beginning of "Over My Shoulder" Ray got up from the drum kit and took a picture of the audience with a disposable camera. Many in the crowd waved.

to be continued.

Lenno
02-23-2005, 07:01 AM
The Telecaster at December's Child--> he used the acoustic for that during the first two shows. Great review. Keep it coming!!!

TimmyB
02-23-2005, 07:58 AM
The Blue state of Michigan really appreciated "George Bush Industriale." The crowed screamed with glee for the first line of the second verse "Please go back to Texas/ You can have the whole state for yourself."

The boys chose a fitting song to follow "George Bush Industriale." The song "Clouds" with opening line "God of the rich man/Ain't the God for the poor." seemed would fit right in with any lyric on "Political Manifest."

After one of the few interuptions from an audience member requesting a song, where Mark went into a story about playing in Lambeau Field with a seven second delay in the monitors. They went into "Tailspin" the last song from "Rainy Day Music," which interestingly enough was the only song from the 2003 Jayhawks album that Mark actually sang backing vocals on.

Then came the classic Jayhawks track "Blue." To hear Mark and Gary perform this song together for the first time, since the two Jayhawks shows I saw with Olson was in 1993, so I never saw them perform any songs from "Tomorrow the Green Grass," was one of the most beautiful moments of a night full of beautiful moments.

The final song before the encore was the last song from "Political Manifest" titled "The End of the Highway" a song about Donald Rumsfeld. Once again the Michigan crowd laughed and cheered throughout this politically charged tune. My favorite line in the song is "Get yourself a mansion/High upon a hill/That way we can keep our eyes on you."

The first song for the encore was the Olson/Louris song "Precious Time" that they recorded for the Maria McKee album "You Gotta Sin To Be Saved" released in 1993. The song started out with just Gary on acoustic and Mark on electric guitars with Razz coming in later on fiddle and then Ray coming in and almost getting his eye poked out with Razz's bow while taking another picture before finally entering in on drums nearing the climax of the song.

The second musical tribute of the night was for the late great label mate Johnny Cash who sadly passed away in September of 2003. They picked the Johnny Cash song "I Still Miss Someone." Before they started Gary asked what key the song was in and Mark told him D and Gary said okay I believe you. Which I thought was funny. The performance of the Cash number was definitely one of the highlights of the night for me and based on the crowds reaction I wasn't the only one.

Next was "Five Cups of Coffee" from 1989's "Blue Earth" album. Then to fittingly close out the show was one song from "Hollywood Town Hall" and one song from "Tomorrow the Green Grass." The second last tune was "Settled Down Like Rain" and the final song of the night was "See Him on the Street."

The show ended at 10:30pm and the total time for the show came in at just under 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Whatever happens next with the Mark Olson, Gary Louris and the Jayhawks, right now doesn't seem to bother me so much. In whatever band these two gentleman perform in together or apart I will always try and be there.

I will travel just a bit further though if they are together rather than apart.

Setlist:
THE ARK TUE FEB 22, 2005
Start time 8:16pm
1. Pray for Me
2. I'd Run Away
3. Custom Detroit Railroad
4. Poor Michael's Boat
5. Say You'll Be Mine
6. One Man's Problem
7. Ruins of East Berlin
8. Walk With Him
9. Sill We Have a Friend in You
10. King of Kings
11. Sister Cry
12. Senator Byrd Speech
13. Angelyne
14. Worn Out Cotton Dress
15. If You Really Want I'll Go
16. Poor GW
17. Crowded in the Wings
18. Two Angels
19. Waiting for the Sun
20. Two Hearts
21. Save it for a Rainy Day
22. December's Child
23. Over My Shoulder
24. George Bush Industriale
25. Clouds
26. Tailspin
27. Blue
28. The End of the Highway
(Encore) 10:09pm back 10:11pm
29. Precious Time
30. I Still Miss Someone
31. Five Cups of Coffee
32. Settled Down Like Rain
33. See Him on the Street
End of show 10:30pm (Total time 2 hours and 14 minutes)

Side note: I was lucky I could even go to this gig. The day before the show my girlfriend got into an accident on a highway with my car. Luckily she was not harmed, but my car was totaled. After a long day picking up my girlfriend, clearing everything out of my car at a lot, calling my insurance company I finally got a rental so I could still make the 800km round trip drive from Hamilton, Ontario to Ann Arbor, MI.

PretentiousWilco
02-23-2005, 08:17 AM
awesome review.

JPM
02-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Great review Timmy, 800km round trip, respect to you.

Glad to hear Gary's a fan of the song "December's Child", great song.

Please come to Europe, Mark & Gary.

Calexico
02-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Great review Timmy...sorry to hear about your motor but at least your girl is ok that's the main thing.

And yes I echo JPM...please come to Europe!

TimmyB
02-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Calexico
Great review Timmy...sorry to hear about your motor but at least your girl is ok that's the main thing.

And yes I echo JPM...please come to Europe!

You're definitely right about the safety of the one I love being the main thing. When it happened I couldn't get to her for three hours and I was losing my mind. She told me she was alright, but I was worried she was in shock and was unaware of possible severe injuries. But all was and is okay with her health.

As for my car, I'll get another one. I just am dreading what will happen to my insurance after they write off my car and I get my next one!

Calexico
02-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Fuck it...I know it's a pain in the ass but when you consider the other outcome that might have been it's nothing to sweat.

Love the one you're with as some guy who Neil Young used to know once said.:D

illbecominhome
02-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Nice review Timmy. Thanks for sharing!

girl incognito
02-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by TimmyB
AN EVENING WITH
M.OLSON & G. LOURIS
FROM THE JAYHAWKS
THE ARK
316 S MAIN, ANN ARBOR
TUE FEB 22, 2005 8:00PM

ELEVEN YEARS, EIGHT MONTHS AND TWENTY-TWO DAYS WAITING FOR TONIGHT

The last time I saw Gary Louris and Mark Olson perform together on the same stage was July 1, 1993. Now eleven years, eight months and twenty-two days later I got to see magic of this songwriting team perform as their billing stated "together again."

And what a venue to see Olson & Louris perform together for the first time in a decade. The Ark in Ann Arbor is a terrific venue with the feel of a mid sized university lecture hall. A general admission venue with seats made for a orderly yet respectful crowd.

The gentleman beside me, that attends many shows at the Ark, stated that there was a certain reverence that he did not often see at this venue as fans of Mark Olson & Gary Louris took their seats. Even with the venue having a bar behind the doors of the hall, the crowd very rarely screamed out requests for songs or interupted the night of music.

Also the sound in the Ark was excellent through out the entire concert, which was a pleasant surprise being such a small venue.

Mark and Gary took the stage around quarter after eight with Razz Russell on fiddle, bass, keyboards and backing vocals and Ray Woods on drums, backing vocals and photographer. They opened the show with two songs off the last Jayhawks album that featured the duo, 1995's "Tomorrow the Green Grass." The songs were "Pray for Me" and "I'd Run Away."

Unlike the last time I saw Mark Olson with the Jayhawks or the one time I saw Olson perform with his wife Victoria Williams, instead of playing guitar he was on bass for much of the show. After the concert I overheard Mark telling a fan that he was really enjoying playing bass on this tour.

Mark was the first to talk to the audience by stating those were two old songs now we're going to try something new and he went on to introduce "Custom Detroit Railroad" which for obvious reasons got a great response from the Michigan crowd.

After "Poor Michael's Boat" and a fantastic version of "Say You'll Be Mine" Mark said "We're here for the long haul, so sit back. We've got plenty of songs coming at you." The next being the Louris number "One Man's Problem" from the Jayhawks 2003 effort "Rainy Day Music." This was the first song of the night that I missed Tim O'Reagain, Marc Perlman and Stephen McCarthy. This feeling came back nearly everytime Louris did a song from the last Jayhawks album.

The band then went into "Ruins of East Berlin." After the song was finished Mark stated that it was recorded during the time of the "Mystery Demos" unreleased tracks recorded by the Jayhawks in 1991.

Mark then led the guys through "Walk With Them," the first of five songs from his most recent effort from the Creekdippers from 2004 titled "Political Manifest." Then they played the second of three songs from the Creekdippers "December's Child" album called "Still We Have a Friend in You."

The oldest Jayhawks song performed on this night was "King of Kings." Mark said "All the way to the first Jayhawks album on Bunkhouse. It's supposed to come out." Gary interjects with a smile "Supposed to." And Mark finished the thought off by saying "It's caught up in the Bermuda Triangle of the record industry. We signed off on it."

The crowd really roared when Mark and Gary began playing "Sister Cry" the first song of the night from their classic 1992 album "Hollywood Town Hall." With the euphoria of seeing Mark and Gary together again I didn't notice it as much with the first two songs, but when they performed "Sister Cry" I really noticed how much has been missing from the Jayhawks since Mark's departure. Like Lennon and McCartney it's just not the same when Louris and Olson are together.

After "Sister Cry" they ran through the Creekdippers "Senator Byrd Speech," the post Olson Jayhawks "Angelyne," and the mystery demo "Worn Out Cotton Dress" I noticed that the show had a really nice pace to it and that they weren't ever focusing on one album for more than a song or two or three.

The first musical dedication (the second time it was referred to as a tribute) of the night was to Doug Sahm who passed on in November of 1999. The performed the Sir Douglas Quintet number "If You Really Want Me To I'll Go." When Mark state this goes out to Doug Sahm, the crowd gave a strong response.

The second song from "Political Manifest," "Poor GW" got a laugh from the crowd. But after introducing Razz and Ray to the audience things got very serious with three songs in a row from "Hollywood Town Hall." The three tunes were "Crowded in the Wings," "Two Angels (also on "Blue Earth")" and "Waiting for the Sun." All three versions were great though I would prefer it if Gary was on electric guitar for "Waiting for the Sun." The riff on that song is killer and it doesn't come across on a acoustic guitar.

Gary kept the acoustic for the next two songs "Two Hearts" and "Save it For a Rainy Day." Before putting his Fender Telecaster back on for Olson's title track from his 2002 album "December's Child." After the song Gary says "I love that song" making Mark smile.

At the beginning of "Over My Shoulder" Ray got up from the drum kit and took a picture of the audience with a disposable camera. Many in the crowd waved.

to be continued.

Sweet review! Thanks!

~Kristy

girl incognito
02-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by TimmyB

Side note: I was lucky I could even go to this gig. The day before the show my girlfriend got into an accident on a highway with my car. Luckily she was not harmed, but my car was totaled. After a long day picking up my girlfriend, clearing everything out of my car at a lot, calling my insurance company I finally got a rental so I could still make the 800km round trip drive from Hamilton, Ontario to Ann Arbor, MI. [/B]

Holy cow Timmy!!! Thank goodness she was OK!!!

~Kristy

Bryn
02-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Great review TimmyB. Glad to hear your girl friend is Ok. The rest of it is just a pain but you've got the right grip on it mate.You notice I don't even bother hoping for Australian tours:(

avnut
02-23-2005, 10:38 PM
it was indeed a great show - thanks for the review! This was my second time at The Ark, and it was an honor to get to see one of the Gary/Mark dates.

Hope someone was taping!

jrwill59
02-23-2005, 10:41 PM
I don't think that Mark sang back-up vocals on "Tailspin."

PretentiousWilco
02-23-2005, 11:14 PM
he did at Madison.

greekguy
02-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by girl incognito

Sweet review! Thanks!

~Kristy

Why the hell did you quote that whole review?

Newbie!

PretentiousWilco
02-24-2005, 12:56 AM
:rolleyes:

TimmyB
02-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by jrwill59
I don't think that Mark sang back-up vocals on "Tailspin."

Trust me Mark did sing backing vocals during Gary's "Tailspin."

I wrote it down while it was happening, and I did that because Mark didn't sing backing vocals on any of the other "Rainy Day Music" songs.

ellison
02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
thanks for the review! and such attention to detail! oh, and don't worry too much about your car insurance - i once totalled a rental in san francisco (and of course i had opted out of the rental company's insurance) and my insurance company didn't drop me, nor did my rates go up tremendously. plus, you weren't the one driving so your record is still good. and - most importantly - glad your girlfriend is okay!

Calexico
02-25-2005, 04:26 AM
I am noticing a growing trend in board people having something like 'enormous member' or 'gigantic member' on their tag lines under their avatars.jrwill59 and GIBSONSG....I am looking in your directions!!

This seedy double entendres should cease fortwith!;)

jrwill59
02-25-2005, 07:26 AM
I believe if you follow my posts, I have been an "enormous", "gigantic", "huge", "zepplin-like", and various other "silly monikers". Any other "members", which I have also used as a tag line, need to know that this inane waste of space was started by me. Sorry for any misunderstanding about the Mark/Tailspin post. I misunderstood, and thought it was meant that he sang backing vocals on the RDM CD!

Rest In Peace Hunter S. Thompson....:(

Gnarla
03-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi, I'm new here.

I was at this particular show, and it was the most fantastic live preformance I have seen in well over a decade.

Whatever happens to The Jayhawks, I just hope that in the future that us fans will be able to see more Olson/Louris sets like this. Whatever they call themselves.

Rarely do we, the general public, get to experience a pair of songwriters who blend and mesh so well together, that the crowd begs for more.

I just called trying to get tickets for the final show on the tour in chicago, and it's fully sold out just under 2 weeks prior.

Gosh, I feel very fourtunate to have gotten my Ark tickets when I did.

This pair is a gift to the music community, truth be told.

Saw them (with Olson) about 8 times with my best friend way back when. They are even more magnetic and energetic now than they were then. I am sad that it seems like they are winding up the band, based on interviews I've been reading, but who cares what they call themselves - I just hope they do other things together.

It would be a shame to close the curtain.

Calexico
03-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Gnarla..welcome and thanks for the comments...a gift to the music community indeed!:D

Oh and three of the best taglines I have seen in a while!!;)

Gnarla
03-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
Honestly I stopped listening to music regularly sometime around ten years ago.

I was having a rough time and a friend of mine sent me a blurb about this concert.

It was seriously like a bright star, in the dark endless sea life sometimes becomes, and gave me hope for the future.

That may sound silly to some, but honestly I have been to hundreds of concerts in my life, and I am sitting here hard pressed to find one that's an equal.

Pardon me if I gush on about it.

I didn't even know half the songs. It didn't matter. They are just so enigmatic and energetic. Everything they played from Hollywood Town Hall and before just killed me all the more.

It was probably the best $20 I spent in years. A week later, I am still reeling with excitement.

true-k
03-01-2005, 08:07 PM
I have a major, MAJOR , learning curve about digital photography and my old 5 yr. old 1.3 pixel clunker that I was too afraid to use all these years. Learning how to get the pictures from the camera to the screen and on the web is painful, but I'm learning.
At this show I asked about pictures, and I was told 'no' by one or two people from the ark. Then, sitting in this quiet listening room with such an attentive audience in the dark, someone suggested with no flash I maybe could get away with it, unobtrusively. So I stayed in my close seat and got some pics which I'll post later.
Before they played and after, I grabbed pics of the instruments on stage going close. Everyone is always asking about what they play.
In performance, its hard with movement to catch a good photo. There's lag time with this old digital! So frustrating.
I'm not that comfortable, but it I feel its so important to document history. Unfortunately, being a newbie, I didn't document everything which I will try to do better next time. I just take what I like, but hey, for history I should do a better job of catching all the players involved. Mark was far away from me and I regret I didn't get a good one of him. I had to delete lots. Enjoy my shots, I've been working so hard to get these up and figure out the stupid software that is not so user handy! But I'm hooked now.

true-k
03-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Sitting proudly

true-k
03-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Hey, look close. What I noticed is that there is a sticker of maybe a character on the body? A cartoon? It surely is only his then, so you know. Or is this a trademark of the guitar-- I don't think so.

Haggischomper
03-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Good job true-k. I am totally in love with my digital camera and wish I was better able to understand it, as a newbie. I reckon I may have a new hobby on my hands.

true-k
03-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I got a not bad one of him. He played guitar, violin, and organ this night. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but he's multi-talented. I'm not so good with my instruments, but he was playing many!
It was my first introduction to him, so now I'm happy I know who he is.

true-k
03-01-2005, 08:37 PM
It was a special night

Calexico
03-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Nice pics true-k.....came out well and the musicians here will LOVE the guitar porn!!:D

JayB
03-02-2005, 06:09 AM
I love the fact that Gary was playing a Telecaster!!! Awesome...