PDA

View Full Version : How did I miss the Jayhawks?

diplacido
02-18-2005, 01:51 AM
I would like this to put this out there to you folks.

Awhile back, I was really into the alternative rock scene.

I had alot of records.

I even made some myself, on Scat, under the name A Bullet for Fidel.

After the Insects of Rock tour w/GBV, I got out and didn't come back.

My favorite bands were the Divine Horsemen, early X (LA) and Prisonshake.

I find it unbelievable that I never was exposed to the Jayhawks!

Not until I've been off the scene for almost ten years.

Picked-up "Rainy Day Music" , liked it, gradually worked all the way back to "Blue Earth" (loved it).

Have a family now and the Jayhawks are the first band my little girls enjoy. Also the first band my wife and I both like!

How did I miss them back in the day? I don't believe they weren't known.

Input appreciated.

Beat_Arcane
02-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Welcome diplacido!!

Who can actually say why you weren't aware of them before.
The important thing is that you have found them now.

It would be nice if one day the whole world woke up to the immense talent of this band and then the guys could finally make a bit of money, which they so deserve.

Perhaps the reason they don't get the exposure of other bands is that they don't fit into a stereotyped category.
The music industry likes "artists" to be pigeonholed and if the band in question doesn't play along then they are always going to be on the outside looking in.
But then again at least they have their integrity intact.....which is an important factor.

girl incognito
02-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by diplacido
I would like this to put this out there to you folks.

Awhile back, I was really into the alternative rock scene.

I had alot of records.

I even made some myself, on Scat, under the name A Bullet for Fidel.

After the Insects of Rock tour w/GBV, I got out and didn't come back.

My favorite bands were the Divine Horsemen, early X (LA) and Prisonshake.

I find it unbelievable that I never was exposed to the Jayhawks!

Not until I've been off the scene for almost ten years.

Picked-up "Rainy Day Music" , liked it, gradually worked all the way back to "Blue Earth" (loved it).

Have a family now and the Jayhawks are the first band my little girls enjoy. Also the first band my wife and I both like!

How did I miss them back in the day? I don't believe they weren't known.

Input appreciated.

That happends. :) I heard of the Jayhawks when Gary was on Fresh Air with Terry Gross after Rainy Day Music came out. I was in aww of the music and I told my hubby about it. He then got me Sound of Lies, which was not the one I wanted at the time. I wanted RDM. So I gave SOL a listen and fell in love with that one...then I got the rest of the CDs. And boy I am not disapointed at all. :D

Acoustic Catfish
02-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Yes indeed, welcome diplacido!

I have a long history of discovering bands too late -- Gram Parsons in 1976 three years after his death, Genesis as Peter Gabriel was leaving them in 1975 (they never recovered after losing Steve Hackett), and the Jayhawks about three years ago. I attribute it to selective exposure. I get stuck in ruts. There are piles of great groups/artists out there that I'd certainly love, but I tend not to seek new music -- it has to fall in my lap. I recall the evening GP fell into my lap: On a hot August night in 1976, I was tired of listening to the same old crap and decided to listen to something I hadn't heard before. Pulled out a DJ copy of the A&M double album collection of the Flying Burrito Brothers that my radio station was going to throw away (I liked the cover art!), put it on the turntable, opened a can of Busch beer and (I'm not kidding here) my life was changed forever. I subscribe to Paste magazine and have discovered some good music that way (they include a CD with each issue). But really, it's just basic laziness on my part.

That's why I'm so unbelievably juiced about this duo tour thing! I thought I'd never see them together!

This is a cool board, diplacido. Welcome!

AC

diplacido
02-19-2005, 09:46 PM
The posts from those responding to my initial message have been really cool.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed the boat for over a decade!

I'm completely ignorant of what manifestation the Jayhawks have been as a touring act--or when they've toured at all.

If you can fill me in without using too many words that would be great.

Again, I'm really surprised that the Jayhawks did not appear on the radar. One of my best friends and supporters was Robert Griffin, whose lead guitar work by all rights should have made him a big fan.

Maybe he just didn't think of mentioning them, I'll have to write him and ask.

At any rate, I am interested in what the current "live" manifestation of the Jayhawks is--and what it has been in the past. Anyone who would like to share their experience seeing this band live is welcome to respond. I will enjoy your memories.

Thanks for the retrospective education.

DiPlaido

Haggischomper
02-19-2005, 11:49 PM
This link to the history page on the front page of this board will take you as far as 2003. Clickclickclickityclick (http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/Jayhawks%20history%202.html)

After the acoustic trio shows in '03, they toured with Stephen McCarthy on guitar. A live cd was shelved by the ridiculous record company and the band, by all accounts, seemed to be on a break. As it stands, Louris and Olson are touring together right now for the first time in ten years - Olson has stated he wants back in the band and I guess these shows are gonna act as some kinda 'does we still got da magic beans?' audition, hence the current bout of hysteria on the board. Whatever the outcome of these shows, it's an exciting time for 'Hawks fans. What lies ahead, we wonder??

Calexico
02-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Haggischomper
What lies ahead, we wonder??

Seemingly only severe bouts of jealousy for us poor Europeans.

Welcome diplacido to the group and hope you enjoy it.:D

diplacido
02-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Thank you all for the replies and the link to the history.

I think it's exciting about the acoustic tour. That's how I'd like to see them, I've often wondered how some of their stuff would sound stripped down to the bare essentials.

I could even take my kids if it was non-smoking!

Again, thanks all.

Curious--what selections were on the live album that never got released (if anyone knows). Was it one live show or a compilation of sorts?

Chaosdan
02-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by diplacido
Curious--what selections were on the live album that never got released (if anyone knows). Was it one live show or a compilation of sorts?

I'm not sure anyone knows what the track listing was/is to be. But i THINK it was compiled from three shows played at the end of 2003 at First Avenue. But i could be wrong, I frequently am.

Calexico
02-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Chaosdan

But i could be wrong, I frequently am.

Yes that is true.

wheelhousetunes
02-24-2005, 02:01 PM
There's at least a few million like you that don't know it, either.

Calexico
02-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by wheelhousetunes
There's at least a few million like you that don't know it, either.

Something like 51% of the United States you mean?;)

PretentiousWilco
02-24-2005, 03:23 PM
well maybe you Europeans will catch a break? Olson will be touring Europe at the end of March, and Gary will be there for the new Golden Smog album. Maybe they will put together two quick dates.

Calexico
02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Well we live in hope anyway PW!

please please please please:D

wheelhousetunes
02-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Calexico

Something like 51% of the United States you mean?;)

That's giving us americans too much credit. It's probably only 10% tops with the good taste to like the Jayhawks.

Calexico
02-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't that be sweet though?10% of the population of USA buying Jayhawks records...that's some big shifting of albums!

ChiefCrowe
02-25-2005, 03:35 AM
i dont know how you missed them but you can't miss the tour thats going on right now!!!