PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks' Olson, Louris Fly Again from billboard.com

TimmyB
02-16-2005, 05:09 PM
It's a nice interview with Mark and Gary.

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. February 16, 2005, 3:35 PM ET

Jayhawks' Olson, Louris Fly Again

Rock'n'roll reunion tours come in many shapes, whether it's the classic rock band cashing in on decades-old nostalgia, or indie-rock darlings tromping though the clubs trying to recover a spark of their old glory. But expect something different when estranged Jayhawks principals Gary Louris and Mark Olson start their first tour together Friday (Feb. 18) in Ames, Iowa.

"I don't see ourselves as one of the people who 'get the band back together and make some money,'" Louris said. "Mark and I just want to sing together again. There's something about the way we sing that is bigger than the sum of its parts."

As the main songwriters for the Minneapolis-based band, Olson and Louris took the country/rock fusion of the Byrds and Flying Burrito Brothers and turbo-charged it with a driving rhythm section and beautiful soaring harmonies. But just as the Jayhawks looked like they were ready to break into the mainstream, Olson, fed up with the music business and touring, quit the band in 1995 after 10 years.

The Olson-Louris tour is not a Jayhawks reunion tour per se; bassist Marc Perlman and drummer Tim O'Reagan are not involved. "We might do that at some point, but I would prefer this to be less of a reunion tour," Louris said. "I want the focus to be on Mark and I singing together."

The outing, including a three-night stand at New York's Bowery Ballroom, ends March 12 in Chicago. "The first plan is to do this tour," said Olson. "We've been talking about writing some new material. I would like to sit down and make a record."

The Jayhawks emerged from the mid-'80s Minneapolis club scene, but unlike the punk-inspired rock that propelled the Replacements, Husker Du and Soul Asylum, Olson and Louris' influences went back to Sun Records and artists like Willie Nelson and Gram Parsons.

As the Jayhawks' popularity grew, Olson began to tire of what Louris calls "the dog and pony show" of the record industry. He had also recently married songwriter Victoria Williams and moved to the desert east of Los Angeles.

In October 1995, Olson flew in to work on the next record with Louris in Minneapolis. "I remember him leaving my house on Halloween after we'd been writing," Louris said. "And about five minutes later, he called me and said, 'I gotta come back and talk.' I knew what he was going to say. It was an emotional situation."

Olson went on to make a series of modest acoustic folk records with Williams on his own. And Louris reconvened the Jayhawks without his partner. "We'd agreed at the time that there would be no Jayhawks without Mark," Louris said. "But after the dust settled, we wanted to keep going. Mark had a huge problem with that."

In fact, they didn't speak for six years. "I still had some emotional investment in whatever I'd done with the group," Olson said. "It was just better to separate for a while."

But in 2001, Louris and Olson were asked to write two songs for the Dennis Quaid film "The Rookie." The producers didn't use the songs, but one surfaced on Olson's 2002 album "December's Child" and it ignited a creative spark within them.

"I didn't realize how much I was going to miss him until the last few years, especially onstage," Louris said. "But in the last six or eight months we started talking on a regular basis. We have a bond beyond music."

takemewithyou
02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
This if from Cityview, a Des Moines paper:

http://www.dmcityview.com/Main.asp?SectionID=40&SubSectionID=71&ArticleID=4956

Emmylou
02-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Depending on the success of their reunion tour, Olson isn’t ruling out a permanent reunion with his former band mates, adding he would like to record with them again. But first, he said, he wants to rekindle his partnership with Louris.

from the Iowa newpaper link Sandy posted!!!

Emmylou
02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
“There are a lot of songs we recorded on that demo, so we’re going to bust some of those out,” Olson said, adding that the group will add a few covers to the set list, too. “With all the material we have, I think we’ll play a long time.”

Awesome news!!!!!

greekguy
02-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Emmylou

Awesome news!!!!!

Holy crap. This is getting to be monumental.

PretentiousWilco
02-16-2005, 06:08 PM
++
The outing, including a three-night stand at New York's Bowery Ballroom, ends March 12 in Chicago. "The first plan is to do this tour," said Olson. "We've been talking about writing some new material. I would like to sit down and make a record." ++

OMG!!!!!!!!

PretentiousWilco
02-16-2005, 06:13 PM
++
"I didn't realize how much I was going to miss him until the last few years, especially onstage," Louris said. "But in the last six or eight months we started talking on a regular basis. We have a bond beyond music."++

:)

on the beach two
02-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Folking awesome !!!! sounds like we are going back to the Olson/Louris Hawks.Could you have even thought this was possible a year ago as we would toil over the merits of each era of Hawkdom ?
Peace and folkin boat drinks to Gary and Mark.

ericcd
02-16-2005, 06:23 PM
I love the Jayhawks for many reasons, but I think we can all agree that there is something "true" about their music. The same thing strikes me about the way this reunion is shaping up. It takes a lotta guts to get back together with Mark Olson without bringing Marc Perlman into the fold (whether he wanted to be there or not). I love the line from Olson about, "rekindling the bond with Gary." It rings so true, that you can't help but love everyone involved. Nobody's trying to make money (well...get rich anyway), but they are trying to rebuild a modest dynasty, if there is such a thing. They're easing into it, and god bless them for it. If it was meant to be, then the rest of the gang will be there to lift them back onto the pedestal...

PretentiousWilco
02-16-2005, 06:26 PM
This is just so incredible. Never thought I would see an article titled , " Olson and Louris Fly Again".

This is just a great day, great week and a great tour. Damn.

Emmylou
02-16-2005, 06:47 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!

LOL....love it....even PW is giddy with delight!!:D

redHERRING
02-16-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm almost speechless from being blindsided so unexpectedly.
I guess what I mean to say is that I'll try to refrain from making any judgements and let these guys work it all out for themselves. I'll be dedicated to the product either way, but to be honest I have some pretty mixed feelings about the whole deal to be honest.

PretentiousWilco
02-16-2005, 06:58 PM
well what are your mixed feelings?

The way I see it, Gary and Mark are a very special combination that outshines Mark or Gary alone. Both guys make good songs and are very talented when apart. But together, the songs simply speak for themselves.

These guys were critics darlings during their great BE to TTGG run. They carved their place in time. To have some semblence of that back, and to possibly be working on a new album is something that would be amazing. The Jayhawks became a beloved band from songs like Waiting for the Sun, Martin's Song, Baltimore Sun, I'd Run Away, Over My Shoulder and Crowded in the Wings. To have the guy back that helped write those songs is incredible.

I don't see how any bad can come from this at all if things work out. Put it this way - Say You'll be Mine is an amazing song that took nothing at all for them to come up with.

redHERRING
02-16-2005, 07:07 PM
I know, I know... and I agree with you. I'm just saying, 'Hawks fans took a long time adjusting to the "end of an era" when Mark left, and it will be an adjustment to another "new era" if there's a full-blown return. I just hope Marc, Stephen, and Tim take to it as easily. I'd rather see just Marc, Gary, Stephen, and Tim than to have to endure a new Mark and Gary without any Tim, Stephen, and (especially) Marc. You can't make up for any of those guys using replacements. I just don't want my other favorite Jayhawks getting disgruntled in the process, that's all I'm sayin'.

PretentiousWilco
02-16-2005, 07:10 PM
oh I totally agree. But for now I'm just hoping things work out with Mark and Gary. Maybe if they do a full blown reunion Mark and Marc can swap accoustic guitars and basses here and there?

Lenno
02-17-2005, 07:56 AM
A tour, maybe a record. Didn't expect that this hiatus thing workes out great. Tim's new record as well...

Chaosdan
02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Holy shit, this is all so exciting.

But before they get back in the studio, they need to get their arses over to Europe!!!!

Lenno
02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Chaosdan
Holy shit, this is all so exciting.

But before they get back in the studio, they need to get their arses over to Europe!!!!

Yer...I forgot. Make it a summer tour, thanks.

Calexico
02-17-2005, 10:20 AM
This tour is shaping up to be a momentous time in the band's timeline.

I really hope it all goes well for them and they work out any residual shit they have going on and then concentrate on blowing the minds of the people who have kept the faith and supported them.A great tour,sold out shows,great gigs and maybe some new material.

And a couple shows in Europe please.

TominMaine
02-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I, too, hate to be a wet blanket here, but I hope the Olson/Louris reunion doesn't over-shadow the good thing the Jayhawks of SOL and RDM had going.

The nostalgic fun of playing the old songs is understandable, but I wonder if the two of them getting into a studio might kill the buzz. Both Louris and Olson have been head honchos for the last 10 years, right? Who defers to whom?

NY Fan
02-17-2005, 12:11 PM
+1

I have basically zero complaints about the post-Olson Jayhawks -- after all, they became my favorite band during this era -- so I'm obviously not inclined to mess with the formula... but it isn't up to me, then, is it?

I've greatly enjoyed the Musical Journey of Gary Louris for the last ten years, and have REALLY enjoyed seeing him come into his own as a front man. So I'm not really interested in seeing him diminished to a co-leader's role.

I've also not made it a secret that I haven't much cared for Olson's production during the same period.

But we'll see how this plays out, and if it makes Gary & the rest of the current 'hawks happy, they should do it. I am very much looking forward to these shows, at any rate.

So flame me, call me 'not a real Jayhawks fan', or whatever. My $.02.

goody59
02-17-2005, 12:25 PM
That said NYFan, how many shows are you hitting?

NY Fan
02-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by goody59
That said NYFan, how many shows are you hitting?

I have tix for all 3.

I'm going to at least 2, and maybe all 3... depending on what Mrs. NY Fan and Baby NY Fan say!

(Mrs. will come to at least one, probably Fri night.)

Haggischomper
02-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by TominMaine
The nostalgic fun of playing the old songs is understandable, but I wonder if the two of them getting into a studio might kill the buzz. Both Louris and Olson have been head honchos for the last 10 years, right? Who defers to whom?

Yeah, and what happens if compromise suddenly becomes involved? For instance if Gary has 7 killer tunes and Mark has 3 but they compromise and Mark gets 5 tunes on the record (should there be one) and we lose 2 of Gary's killer tunes?

greekguy
02-17-2005, 01:35 PM
My biggest concern is that, if they regroup with Mark in the Jayhawks, that some of the post-Mark stuff will fall to the background and that Gary will explore his side of things more heavily with Smog.

I love Golden Smog, but there are definitely some throwaway songs they have recorded (none by Gary).

I am hoping for that Jayhawk show that blows everyone on this board away to happen again, and believe it could only happen when the full Jayhawk library is available. Perhaps it will be.

56 hours and counting...

Calexico
02-17-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't know....I loved the guys as a duo singing together all those years but Olson's post split output leaves a lot to be desired.It doesn't compare at all with Louris' output during the same time period.So I would really prefer Gary taking a stronger leader's role in any sort of a reformed band.

LiladyK
02-17-2005, 01:58 PM
wow.....so are we to understand from this article that they are interested in doing some songs off of those mystery demos that we gave them both a copy of, and have been talking so much about over so many months past now?

Oh.......................................:eek:

LiladyK
02-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Calexico
I don't know....I loved the guys as a duo singing together all those years but Olson's post split output leaves a lot to be desired.It doesn't compare at all with Louris' output during the same time period.So I would really prefer Gary taking a stronger leader's role in any sort of a reformed band.

I respect your opinion Cale, it's just that, well, if you think about it this way....it's kind of more about the *voice combination*, I mean mostly

like the sum of the two being greater than it's separate parts.....(like he said):)

greekguy
02-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Calexico,

If by chance some concoction of the Jayhawks makes it to Europe, how far would you travel to see them? Just wondering, as the guy who spends so much time here, it only makes sense that you actually get to see them at some point in your life.

Could be a life changing event. It has been for some of us here for sure.

TominMaine
02-17-2005, 04:45 PM
>>>>what happens if ... Gary has 7 killer tunes and Mark has 3 but they compromise and Mark gets 5 tunes on the record and we lose 2 of Gary's killer tunes?<<<<<

Exactly!

PretentiousWilco
02-17-2005, 05:09 PM
""I don't know....I loved the guys as a duo singing together all those years but Olson's post split output leaves a lot to be desired.It doesn't compare at all with Louris' output during the same time period.""

IMHO My Own Joe Ellyn and Decembers Child are better than the stuff Gary has done since the breakup.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gary is just as talented as Mark (and vice versa). But I think Gary has had 4 or 5 strong songs per record, with some filler the past three records. Mark can get away with weaker material because for some reason he is able (at least for decembers child and MOJE )to form a cohesive theme for the entire record).

JPM
02-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Not sure Calexico, pretty hard to compare the Louris Jayhawks & Olson's Creekdipper material, I love them both, if you look at the actual songs both guys have written since the split, i'd say pretty even 50/50, I can't split them.

Chaosdan
02-17-2005, 07:28 PM

I haven't got any Olson/Creekdipper albums, so i can't comment on them. But personally I think that both Smile and RDM are half-great/half-average albums. ie. some fantastic tracks but some (for them) sub-par material too. I think Olson might be exactly what's needed to make Jayhawks albums all-great again. We shall see.

NY Fan
02-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by PretentiousWilco
IMHO My Own Joe Ellyn and Decembers Child are better than the stuff Gary has done since the breakup.

What the???

Our boy's growing up!
He's actually used 'IMHO' in a post!

... They grow up so fast... <sniff>...

PretentiousWilco
02-17-2005, 09:25 PM
""so i can't comment on them. But personally I think that both Smile and RDM are half-great/half-average albums. ie. some fantastic tracks but some (for them) sub-par material too. I think Olson might be exactly what's needed to make Jayhawks albums all-great again. ""

bingo. Gary writes great songs. He is just missing Mark's ability to make a cohesive record.

Both guys need each other as their own personal bullshit meter while songwriting.

Could you imagine a new Jayhawks album full of songs like "Say you'll be mine"? That's greatness.

sacred roots
02-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by NY Fan
+1

But we'll see how this plays out, and if it makes Gary & the rest of the current 'hawks happy, they should do it. I am very much looking forward to these shows, at any rate.

So flame me, call me 'not a real Jayhawks fan', or whatever. My $.02.

Flame? Heck, your post is just about the most reasonable thing i've read here about the tour so far. Of course, i agree with everything you said, so maybe that has something to do with it ;)

PretentiousWilco
02-18-2005, 01:09 AM
""Before this duo thing came about, it seemed fairly likely that the Jayhawks were DONE. Now it looks like they are reborn. I for one am positively giddy at the prospect.""

I think this is a very accurate observation. I had this feeling as well. Gary had just given alot the last few albums, and it seemed like he was ready to move into other areas of music, such as writing for others and producing, etc. If anything, this reunion has really sparked things. I hope it works out. And if they did make a record, I would bet my life that it will be better than anything by either of them since TTGG.

sacred roots
02-18-2005, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by 2Blue4U
Now it looks like they are reborn.

On what do you base this assessment? A few comments by Olson in recent interviews? Cripes, they haven't even played a single note yet and evidently it's the second coming of Christ himself. :)

If i was a betting man -- and i am, btw -- i'd say the odds against a reformation of the Jayhawks circa 1995 are about 90-10. Money, of course, is the wild card in all of this. Just ask the Pixies. But it's way, way too early to talk about a full-blown "reunion" in any way other than pure speculation. I think at this point it's likely that Gary and Mark themselves don't even know how this will all pan out.

If it was an actual "reunion," i think the decision would've been made by now to advertise it as such. I don't think that's been the case.

Enjoy the tour for what it is. I have no reason to think that Gary's first public comments about this tour aren't still true. He pointedly avoided using the "R" word and basically said they were gonna get together and play a bunch of songs that they like. Could be some old ones. Could be some new ones. Who knows, maybe they'll only play a handful of "classic" Jayhawks songs. I actually think it would be kinda cool if they made a significant effort to downplay the past and play a bunch of stuff that nobody's heard. Gary did 3 tantalizing new songs at a solo gig in Mpls last Summer and Mark certainly seems to be prolific.

I hope everyone has a blast at the shows. Reunion or not, this is undoubtedly a historic moment. Whatever happens, i'm sure there will be a ton of great music, which is all that really matters in the end.

Emmylou
02-18-2005, 08:40 AM
I am just so happy they are going to be performing together whether it is a temporary or not...but nothing with the Jayhawks seems permant. They are always evolving and I am so happy to be here to see this time in their evolutionary cycle.

I just really like to see my favorite musicians doing what they do best and really enjoying themselves.....loving the moment...and that is what I wish for this tour....and whatever they decide to do for the future.

Cheers to Gary and Mark......have a great time!!!

bluerodeo
02-18-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm so glad that Mark and Gary are touring and I would love to hear some new music released sometime as well...

but, I'm also a bit torn about the "current" Jayhawks line-up, more specifically Tim O'Reagans' role in the group. I've come to like his songs, and his voice. I wonder if his role would be diminished? All speculation, of course.

I'm glad that I can hear some of Tim's solo stuff soon!

I'd love to hear what Louris/Olson/Oreagan/Perlman could do as a band.

NY Fan
02-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by sacred roots
Flame? Heck, your post is just about the most reasonable thing i've read here about the tour so far. Of course, i agree with everything you said, so maybe that has something to do with it ;)

You know, I find that your agreeing with me is most agreeable!...;)

kaya08
02-18-2005, 09:10 AM
I too am concerned about Tim's role. -- after listening to the RDM tour the last couple of days I am convinced Tim is irreplaceable in performing Stumbling, Tailspin and Angelyne.

Are we ever again going to hear a show start with Stumbling in a reunited Jayhawks? Those are the sweetest opening notes to any Jayhawks show.

illbecominhome
02-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by kaya08
Are we ever again going to hear a show start with Stumbling in a reunited Jayhawks? Those are the sweetest opening notes to any Jayhawks show.

I couldn't agree more. Beautiful song to start a show!!!

PretentiousWilco
02-18-2005, 02:55 PM
""
On what do you base this assessment? A few comments by Olson in recent interviews? Cripes, they haven't even played a single note yet and evidently it's the second coming of Christ himself. ""

Olson is on record as saying he has asked to be back in the band. So, it's up to Gary and Perlman.

""
If i was a betting man -- and i am, btw -- i'd say the odds against a reformation of the Jayhawks circa 1995 are about 90-10. ""

I don't know why the odds are so poor. Gary and Mark need each other musically at this point in their careers. Mark can keep Gary from drifting too far into sounding like lite adult comtemporary, and Gary can keep Mark from drifting into songwriting lazyness and the stuff he did on Mystic Theater ;)

I am absolutely sure that Gary and Perlman would make a better record *with* Olson than without him. The only question is the comfort zone those two have put themselves in. Are they more about comfort at this point, or making the best possible record?

Calexico
02-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Man the ol' board has livened up no end with the announcement of this duo tour!:D

I hope it goes great and everyone sorts their shit out and comes to realise what it is all about in the end...the music.

This could be a Phoenix like moment or just a fun diversion...either way enjoy it for what it is and for the now and let the future worry about itself.

Acoustic Catfish
02-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I AM SO FUCKING JAZZED ABOUT THIS TOUR!!!!!

The guys come to Indy Monday night and I'm simply vibrating out of my socks. (Thus explaining why my feet are cold.)

But holy crap, folks, it seems to me there's a lot of "what if"fing going on here -- "Gee, what happens if Mark joins?" "What if good songs get squeezed out?" -- instead of celebrating the blending of two of the most divine voices in harmony since the Everly Brothers.

So I offer my own series of "what if"s: What if the sun rose in the east? What if the moon came crashing to the earth? What if George Bush was re-elected president? (Ooops...sorry.)

Unless Cleo is on the board (and her track record wasn't that great, recall), let's just enjoy the tour for now and see what blessed events unfold! Whatever it is, it will be good!

Come on, Monday night!

AC

greekguy
02-19-2005, 11:46 AM
I like the what iffing. I mean, if this was the Where Will The Sun Rise Tomorrow? fanpage board, your topic would be perfect.

It our responsibility as active board members to banter, speculate and hope. We do that because of the music, not in spite of it.

Acoustic Catfish
02-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by greekguy
I like the what iffing. I mean, if this was the Where Will The Sun Rise Tomorrow? fanpage board, your topic would be perfect.

It our responsibility as active board members to banter, speculate and hope. We do that because of the music, not in spite of it.

Okie dokie! I lost a couple of girl friends that way, but I guess this is different....

AC

NY Fan
02-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Olson is on record as saying he has asked to be back in the band. So, it's up to Gary and Perlman.

Gary and Mark need each other musically at this point in their careers. Mark can keep Gary from drifting too far into sounding like lite adult comtemporary... I am absolutely sure that Gary and Perlman would make a better record *with* Olson than without him.

I think a.) you are forgetting about Tim, who's earned as much of a right as anybody to agree to a band w/ or w/o Olson, and b.) I certainly don't agree that Gary 'needs' Mark. He may want Mark in a band with him, or he may not, but I don't think he 'needs' him.

Mark's the one who wants back 'in' with the Jayhawks, so he clearly needs the band more than the band needs him. I place the odds at about 50/50 right now, but I'm sure we'll have a better guesstimate after some more dates.

PretentiousWilco
02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
""
I think a.) you are forgetting about Tim, who's earned as much of a right as anybody to agree to a band w/ or w/o Olson, and b.) I certainly don't agree that Gary 'needs' Mark. He may want Mark in a band with him, or he may not, but I don't think he 'needs' him.""

I have to disagree. When you start filling up records with "Come to the river" and " dont let the world get in your way" it's time for some outside help. The same can be said for Mark's Mystic Theater, for which I can't seem to find more than a couple good songs.

""
Mark's the one who wants back 'in' with the Jayhawks, so he clearly needs the band more than the band needs him. I place the odds at about 50/50 right now, but I'm sure we'll have a better guesstimate after some more dates.""

From what I could tell the Hawks were done after RDM. They sounded exhausted and just tired of it. Olson may give them a boost.

redHERRING
02-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Again I have to differ with you, Pretentious Wilco. Rainy Day Music was obviously a forte in the timeline of Jayhawks progression, an absolute timeless treasure by most accounts. While there was a bit of turmoil and despondancy that followed from the 'Hawks, I certainly don't think it added up to the doom and gloom prophecy that you espoused. As usual, I think we all just have to resign ourselves to the "wait and see" perspective that any devout fans are naturally relegated to. If Mark re-invigorates the Jayhawks, great. If he causes an implosion that involves Perlman and Tim jumping ship, then Olson can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. But either way, I'm not the barometer or navigator on this ship, and I think you've guaged the impact of Rainy Day Music all wrong, in my personal opinion.

greekguy
02-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by redHERRING
then Olson can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

The gloves are off!

hicktopia
02-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Maybe we should give up talking about such controversial topics like the Jayhawks and switch to something safer, like abortion or gun control...

(Just to a call to lighten up, folks. I have my preferences for specific Jayhawks albums/lineups/songs but don't think my opinions are any more valid than Glacier's or Herring's. I had no control over Mark leaving in '95, have no say in him rejoining in '05, and just wish the best to all personally and professionally.)

NY Fan
02-20-2005, 10:32 PM
When you start filling up records with "Come to the river" and " dont let the world get in your way" it's time for some outside help.

From what I could tell the Hawks were done after RDM. They sounded exhausted and just tired of it. Olson may give them a boost.

I think Don't Let the World is a great song, and like many Jayhawks songs is even better in a live setting. Did you go to/hear any of the shows where they gave it a more psychedelic flavor, with the feedbacking intro?

I don't care much for Come to the River or Madman. But I think any album that has only 2 songs I don't care much for is pretty damn good.

I think the perception of exhaustion has more to do with frustration with the music industry/public tastes than any sense of exhaustion with songwriting or performing. Any time I hear new Louris songs, I am blown away. Any time I've seen them I've been blown away.

Could Gary have been tired of beating his metaphorical head against the wall of popular taste? Sure. Doesn't mean the Jayhawks were 'done.'

But as I said very very clearly elsewhere, if this is what Gary wants, I think that's great. He should -- and WILL, I'm sure -- do what satisfies him personally and professionally.

PretentiousWilco
02-20-2005, 11:07 PM
"
I think Don't Let the World is a great song, and like many Jayhawks songs is even better in a live setting. Did you go to/hear any of the shows where they gave it a more psychedelic flavor, with the feedbacking intro?"

Yeah I did hear it changed up a few times. It still doesn't do anything for me, and comes across more as "muzak" than anything else. I know people who like it though.

"
I don't care much for Come to the River or Madman. But I think any album that has only 2 songs I don't care much for is pretty damn good."

I don't care for those songs either, but there are other songs I don't care for as well such as One Man's Problem, You Look So Young, and All the Right Reasons.

"
I think the perception of exhaustion has more to do with frustration with the music industry/public tastes than any sense of exhaustion with songwriting or performing. Any time I hear new Louris songs, I am blown away. Any time I've seen them I've been blown away."

I love seeing them with or without Mark, but I have noticed they seemed a bit tired lately, at least inbetween now and the Smile tour (was blown away by that one).

I think Tailspin, Rainy Day, Stumbling, Angelyne and Tampa are very good songs and I like seeing them live. But stuff like One Man's and Dont let the world just kind of slowed things down for me.

"
Could Gary have been tired of beating his metaphorical head against the wall of popular taste? Sure. Doesn't mean the Jayhawks were 'done."

There were some interesting rumors floating around here from people "in the know" (I guess anyway) who said they weren't sure if the break was temporary.

"
But as I said very very clearly elsewhere, if this is what Gary wants, I think that's great. He should -- and WILL, I'm sure -- do what satisfies him personally and professionally."

Well I agree. It's up to Gary and no one else.

Calexico
02-21-2005, 04:44 AM
I really would hate the idea of Olson coming back meaning that Perlman and O'Regan skip off...that would rip the band in two and wouldn't do any good at all.I hope everyone concerned can work it out and I guess the wait and see option put forward by redHERRING is probably our only option.

Lenno
02-21-2005, 06:07 AM
I don't believe in a permanent reunion -at all-. I talked to Gary and he firmly gave the impression this was "just for fun" and had no further plans for this. Gary did not comment in the interviews so maybe Mark has his fire back but that does not mean he can join the band.

I think the best thing to do would be an album by the two of 'm, an European tour and then leave it at that.

PretentiousWilco
02-21-2005, 07:03 AM
"I think the best thing to do would be an album by the two of 'm, an European tour and then leave it at that. "

Why in the $%$ would you say that?

hicktopia
02-21-2005, 07:13 AM
It would be interesting to know how many of the people who have their knickers in knots over Mark rejoining the band got into the band in '95 or before-- in other words, is this another face on the old BE/HTH/TTGG are better//no, SoL/Sm/RDW are better argument.

It also gets into the decision to carry the Jayhawks name forward after one of the frontmen left-- like it or not/right or wrong, a band is defined by its frontmen to all but their major fans. Tweedy didn't call his band Uncle Tupelo after Farrar left. To most people, it wouldn't have been The Beatles if Paul, George, and Ringo had carried on the name if John split to make music with his wife. Maybe this whole debate could be framed as "Should Mark be allowed to join 6 Green Olives"?

Who knows what legal/contractual hurdles there may be. If Mark rejoins the Jayhawks, will American have first dibs on any output? If Mark doesn't join, but everything is friendlier, maybe they could put out a live HTH-era disc? (Hint hint...)

Anyway, enough early morning pre-coffee musings. You folks without jobs or lenient use-the-internet-all-you-want employers carry on...

Larry

R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

PretentiousWilco
02-21-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm listening to a remastered version of the Ames show right now and I have to say I can't honestly see how anyone would not want him back in the bad. Best Jayhawks show I may have ever heard to be honest. The original recording was ok , but this remastered version is amazing.

Acoustic Catfish
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm listening to a remastered version of the Ames show right now and I have to say I can't honestly see how anyone would not want him back in the bad. Best Jayhawks show I may have ever heard to be honest. The original recording was ok , but this remastered version is amazing.

Hey, how could a girl take a listen?...

AC