PDA

View Full Version : A song The Jayhawks could cover

JumboFun
02-14-2005, 04:09 PM
..."Cheokee nation," by The Raiders. I think they could do a killer version of this old tune that I loved as a kid.

Wha't your choice of covers they might do?

Calexico
02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Hot Burrito#1 and #2.

Easy choice I know but love to hear them take it on.

TominMaine
02-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I was just thinking this morning of what covers Golden Smog could do on the new record (there were a couple on Down by the Old Mainstream, though none on Weird Tales), and came up with "Drift Away," by Dobie Gray (each Smogger could take a verse) and "Doctor My Eyes" by Jackson Browne.

Seems like the 'Hawks could do credible versions as well.

LiladyK
02-15-2005, 12:29 AM
NEIL YOUNG'S "GOOD TO SEE YOU" (FROM THE SILVER AND GOLD CD)

it'd be so perferct for them, such beautiful acoustic guitar work and it's got a nice steel pedal sound in the background

it's my favorite Neil Young song of all time.....

gawd, how cool that'd be:cool:

JayB
02-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Mother Hips ~ Whiskey On A Southbound! :D

Bryn
02-15-2005, 08:41 AM
You Am Is' song Damage.

Now anyone who is interested go search it out:D

Ryan Joyce
02-15-2005, 09:01 AM
dont ask why.... "Durham Town" - Roger Whittaker.

illbecominhome
02-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Bryn
You Am Is' song Damage.

Now anyone who is interested go search it out:D

Don't know the song Bryn, but I saw You Am I last year opening for Cracker and that was a hell of a show!!! And their frontman whose name I can't recall right now was awesome! He's married to a Spanish gal, and all her family was in the show. It was great fun.

JumboFun
02-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Ok Bryn, you got me on that one. I'm going to investigate.

Ryan, I always thought "Bad Time" was a strange cover choice, but Now I like it. "Durham Town" eh? It is folky.

facedown
02-15-2005, 01:39 PM
"Go Now" (Moody Blues) with Tim singing
"Reflections of My Life" (Marmalade)
"I Saw the Light" (Todd Rundgren)
"Joanne" (Michael Nesmith) Ps. Almost the same as "Different Drum" which is often covered live.
I used to post "Air That I Breathe" but the Mavericks have recently covered it. Once is enough.
Drum Roll.....

"Smoke From a Distant Fire" (Sanford Townsend Band)

Wes
02-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Operator Jim croce. I don't know why but I really love this song and hearing Mark and Gary singing this would be really cool. Plus Gary reminds me of Jim Croce with the curly hair and Jean jacket, Not to mention they were and are truly talented singer songwriters. Also pretty kick ass guitar players.

muskytoes
02-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Yeah we've never mentioned Jim Croce before

Musky favs:
"I Have too say I love You in a Song"
or "I've Got A Name"

jcarlile
02-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I am/was a really big Jim Croce fan! My favorite of his for Gary to sing would be "Lovers Cross", one of his obscure songs.

Oh, and anything by Jackson Browne, preferably some of his early ones.

Calexico
02-15-2005, 02:51 PM
The Stones-Wild Horses.
Bruce-Ghost of Tom Joad.
Black Sabbath-War Pigs!!!(Hey if the Cardigans can do it..)

illbecominhome
02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Calexico
Black Sabbath-War Pigs!!!(Hey if the Cardigans can do it..)

LOL Cale! Can't imagine Gary singing those (wonderful) first lines:
"Generals gather in their masses, just like witches in black masses" Love that song :D

Calexico
02-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Yea I suppose the line..In the fields the bodie's burning..wouldn't go down too well with the local farmers and the Madison chapter of Children Of The Corn!!

Bryn
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by facedown
"Go Now" (Moody Blues) with Tim singing
"Reflections of My Life" (Marmalade)
"I Saw the Light" (Todd Rundgren)
"Joanne" (Michael Nesmith) Ps. Almost the same as "Different Drum" which is often covered live.
I used to post "Air That I Breathe" but the Mavericks have recently covered it. Once is enough.
Drum Roll.....

"Smoke From a Distant Fire" (Sanford Townsend Band)
Ohh yeah, Relections of my life. I love that song ,always have even though it seems pretty soppy these days. The Jayhawks doing that would be sublime.
Cale I would love to hear them doing Wild Horses to. Or Angie or even Sister Morphine. Ruby Tuesday?

diplacido
02-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I see alot of folks are saying Jim Croce, and I'm all for that.

But--"Mail-Order Annie" by Harry Chapin is the one.

facedown
02-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Sister Golden Hair (America)

Calexico
02-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Burned-Buffalo Springfield
Love the one you're with-Stephen Stills

Bryn
02-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Would'nt this really be a great idea for a little side project for The Jayhawks. A kind of reunion of all the different members on differentr tracks paying homage to their fave songs.

Anodyne
02-16-2005, 08:13 PM
I'd love to hear them do Bad Finger's Baby Blue. That was the first post I ever made on this board, asking about cover songs.

facedown
02-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I love Badfinger. Great choice. Amy Mann does a great cover of Baby Blue. While they're at it, throw in Day After Day.

diplacido
02-18-2005, 01:41 AM
so many good ideas here, but.....

"Mail-Order Annie" by Harry Chapin is the one.

Why?

Opening picking could be done by guitar or translated to piano--that would be classy.

Pitch is a dead-on match.

Harmonies are made-to-order.

Arrangement could be tweaked to something slightly more cohesive easily.

Lyric substitutions (if desired) are easy to think of.

The Jayhawks style is not devoid of story-telling, which Harry C. is the master of.

But the most important reason: great song, great writer (Chapin), great band (Jayhawks)=something we can groove to.

--DiPlacido