PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks opening for CSN - Xcel Ctr, St.Paul 2-13-03

Ordinarygirl
02-14-2003, 09:26 AM
Gary, Marc, and Tim took the stage while people were still straggling in to find their seats. The arena was set up in a half-bowl, but was still not sold out. They sat in a line at the front of the stage, and played a very tight but laid-back set reminiscent of the acoustic tour.

Set List:

Sister Cry
Angelyne
Break in the Clouds
Driving Wheel
Crowded in the Wings
Say You'll be Mine
Tailspin
Trouble
Blue
Big White Cloud
Save It for a Rainy Day

As the set progressed, the crowd began to give the band closer attention. THere was a fair number of hard core fans scattered throughout the arena showing their support. At one point during a guitar change between songs, a guy from the back yelled out "I love you!" afterwhich Gary replied in his usual dry and soft-spoken manner, "I'll see you after the show."

The show seemed to peak with the fans during Blue, of course, and I was wondering how many people there might be hearing the band live for the very first time. Although our seats were not close, Gary looked great, was in fine voice, and his guitar work, especially during the solo on Trouble, was expressive and powerful.

I really enjoyed the occasions when Tim switched to acoustic guitar (Driving wheel) and Marc to mandolin (Say You'll be Mine and Tailspin, i think). Other highpoints were Tim and Gary's harmonies, especially on Tailspin... they were right on the money.

Sister Cry as an acoustic opener is quite a different song than it is as I've often heard it as a rocking encore, but was really quite nice. As could be expected, they closed with Save it for a Rainy Day, which the crowd really enjoyed.

"It is a great day. My heart soars like a Hawk."
- Old Lodge Skins in "Little Big Man"

norma023
02-14-2003, 03:28 PM
nice review -- thanks !!

LiladyK
02-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Yes, really nice review Julie, thank you....touching and heartfelt written (insert emoticon w/a liltear in the eye here)

Good to hear that Gary looked well :D

Haggischomper
02-16-2003, 08:19 AM
good to see the little big man quote too. great film, greter book.