PDA

View Full Version : new album

mrblues
02-05-2003, 04:37 PM
just got the new album .one word excellent .stand out tracks tailspin ,the eyes of sarah jane and tampa to tulsa.sounds more like hollywood town hall era

qiktune
02-14-2003, 05:12 PM
My picks are:

Stumbling Through The Dark (...reminds me of The Byrds)
Tailspin.........I love!
Save It All For A Rainy Day .........is cool
Angeline .....I really like

.....have to have more time to listen.

daveelmstrom
02-27-2003, 02:12 PM
OK, so I was able to listen to the new album.

I'll start by saying there are a half-dozen songs that are just killer. "You Look So Young" is great, and its guitar riffs are reminiscent of Hollywood-era 'Hawks. I love "Tailspin," and "Tampa to Tulsa" might be the most Jayhawks-like song I've heard in a while. The first single "Save it for a Rainy Day" is mighty catchy, and you've got to love a song with this first line: "Pretty little hairdo, don't do what it used to..."

Now the bad news. I think the album is just polished a little too brightly for my tastes. Bob Ezrin did some funky things with "Smile," some of which I liked and some of which I didn't. But he and the band at least took a few chances.

On this album, though, the sounds a little too generic. The steel slide and the accordians that are present are really pushed down in the mix. In fact, I don't hear much that really connects them to their earlier alt-country days. Everything here would fit comfortably on the "Friends" or "Dawson's Creek" soundtrack.

I know I'm taunting some major flames from my fellow Jayhawks fans out there. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the album. I just don't love it like I have their previous four.

Just my $0.02. Hopefully, my appreciation of this disk will grow as I listen to it more, and see the songs played live.

Cheers!

mystic_spiral_3
02-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Actually, "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" WAS on a Dawson's Creek soundtrack.

LiladyK
02-27-2003, 11:50 PM
And I actually liked a lot of the other songs that made it on that show as well.....a Wilco song was on there once, and so was an Evan & Jaron one, among others :cool:

mystic_spiral_3
02-28-2003, 12:07 AM
Paul Westerburg ("Whatever Makes You Happy"), Iffy ("Hi Life" and "Double Dutch", I think), and David Poe have also had songs played Dawsons Creek. However, I don't think these were on any of the show soundtracks.

I've heard Wilco ("My Darlin'" and "Heavy Metal Drummer") and the Jayhawks ("Gonna Make You Love Me") on Gilmore Girls. I've heard the Jayhawks ("Better Days") on the NBC show Ed. The Honeydogs ("Your Blue Door") were played on Felicity.

Also, a few years ago, an episode of Party of Five had a subplot about characters trying to go to a Soul Asylum show. No SA music was actually played on the episode.

Yes, I watch some "chick shows". Stop looking at me like that.

:rolleyes:

LiladyK
02-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by mystic_spiral_3

Yes, I watch some "chick shows". Stop looking at me like that.

:rolleyes: [/B]

Lilady proclaims: HERE'S TO THE CHICK FLICKS! Well, I say that sometimes there's nuthin' better than renting a "chick flick" w/a female friend or two or three, the more the merrier....ya know, just a girl's night, no guys. Then we can make all the "sappy female comments" that we want to, w/out the guys picking on us like: "oh, how romantic!" or "bring out the box of tissues, I'm a lil misty-eyed!" or "EEEiiyyahh! Does (insert name of foxy, hunky male actor here) ever look soooooooooooooo......"

Hey, I'm basically a female that actually likes a lot of guy things (really I do!) but when it comes to "movies for guys" forget it. Someone's head being blown off, and/or a cuss word every 2.53 minutes, I can't take it. And besides, cut me a break. I LIVE w/3 guys here and the testerone gets so thick at times that I can slice it w/a knife. :rolleyes:

mystic_spiral_3
02-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks Lilady. I do sometimes catch some flack for the shows I watch.

I'll try to bring this back to topic. I haven't heard much of the new album in studio version. I have heard "Tailspin" and "Don't Let the World Get You Down" and liked both very much.

I have a feeling I'll like this album very much. I'm not too worried about possible over production; as I've said on other posts, I don't think it really registered for me when I listened to "Smile". That, and I'm more used to the later period (1995-present) Jayhawks.

kegs
03-04-2003, 08:34 PM
How are you getting the album early?

daveelmstrom
03-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Speaking only for myself, I was able to find the new album on Kazaa. (If you aren't familiar with it, it's sort of the new Napster, but it uses point-to-point technology. So I actually download it from another user's computer.)

Anyways, it's floating around out there on Kazaa. I had to try on several different days to get all the songs, but I was able to do it without an problems.

And just in case the president of Lost Highway Records decides to show up at my door and demand his $13.99, I have this disclaimer: I have already purchased "Rainy Day Music" from Amazon.com, and it will be shipped out to me on April 1.

I was only able to download the songs on the main disk, not on the bonus disk that is available with early purchases of "Rainy Day."

Lenno
03-07-2003, 10:11 AM
what's the use of referring to "early" JH? No album is the same with the jayhawks, music-wise. What they have in common is good songs with music that's developing. And isn't Smile pretty smooth...

I got Blue Earth after the other three albums and it took my al while to rewind and see the development in reverse. And I like it very much and the next step was to buy the album December's Chils by Mark O.

So Daveelmstrom, keep looking forward!

LiladyK
03-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Lenno
And isn't Smile pretty smooth...

I got Blue Earth after the other three albums

this reads like you think there are 5 albums, yet there were 6 released, including the Bunkhouse. Rainy Day Music will be number 7 :)

JockHawk
03-12-2003, 08:28 AM
$13.99 for the cd!. I expect mine to cost at least 11.99, which is roughly $18-$19. Music is soooooo expensive to buy over here. if it is not a chart album and you go to one of the national chain stores like Virgin or HMV you can pay up to 17.99 for a single cd. There a few good independent retailers in Edinburgh who have the sense to charge reasonable prices. Last time I was in the States I spent a fortune at Tower Records

christine
03-12-2003, 09:56 AM
9.99 & free p&p. its a good site for most dvds and music actually. very reasonable prices, and brilliant service

http://www.playserver1.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=CD&title=113968

JockHawk
03-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks again Christine. It's on Amazon at 15.99 plus postage.

Haggischomper
03-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Fopp may have it cheaper too.

christine
03-12-2003, 12:31 PM
maybe only a pound, but not much more.
and here it gets delivered to your door, whereas you have to walk to fopp

JockHawk
03-13-2003, 04:27 AM
Cheers Christine, ordered it yesterday.

Wilco
03-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Try www.cdwow.com where most new CD's go for 8.99 pounds or 14.99 euros including free delivery :D

Amazon's price is good, $13,99 is about 13 euros but there postages rates are bloody high

Wilco

Lenno
03-14-2003, 03:32 PM
I stand corrected, LiladyK

And please stop the Guide To Where To Shop On The Internet. Go to your local store now!

LiladyK
03-14-2003, 03:41 PM
no, don't just go to your local store now......

be sure to.....

go to your local INDEPENDENT (aka Indie) STORE now:D

> edit....I spelled indie wrong the first time <

dorman70
03-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Downloaded a couple of songs from the new album last week. Pretty impressive. I really like "Save It For A Rainy Day" , "Tailspin" and "Angeline". Some of the other songs need to grow on me a bit. I haven't been able to download Tampa To Tulsa but from all the reviews I am really looking forward to hearing it.
I am not sure if it will live up to "Sound Of Lies" and it does sound like they are going back to the "Hollywood" days. I am not sure if I like that or not. I really like the way they were going with "Sound Of Lies" and "Smile" and wished they would have built from there.
In any case I love all of their albums and they are easily one of my top 3 bands.
I will be buying the album when it comes out on April 8th and I can hardly wait.
P.S. I am really jealous of anyone who has seen them perform live. I live in Western Canada and they never tour out here!
:(

JockHawk
03-19-2003, 10:12 AM
hey Dorman 70, flights are cheap to Glasgow. Get yourself on a plane and come over for the 10th May show. Only joking!. There's a lot of bands who think the UK stops at Manchester and maybe do one Scottish date. The cost of internal flights here is coming down but it's a real pain to travel hundreds of miles to see a band.
Lillady I always buy from Indie stores, Edinburgh has two great ones Fopp and Avalanche, guaranteed at least 4 cheaper than the chain stores.
This time I wanted to make sure I got the free CD as well.
How's the weather over there!. Spring has sprung here, it's sunny and warm but hey it's Scotland could be snowing tomorrow.

bluerodeo
03-22-2003, 09:45 AM
I agree with the reviews. Its an absolutely gorgeous album and I love it already. Many tracks sound instantly classic. I really like the Tim O'regan tunes. He is obviously emensly talented and a huge asset to the rest of the band. My fave tracks thus far:
Save It For A Rainy Day
Will I See You In Heaven
Tampa To Tulsa
The Eyes of Sarah Jane

Although, there isn't a weak song on the CD. I urge everyone to PURCHASE this CD!!!!

ColoFan
03-26-2003, 12:23 AM
The new album is excellent. The last couple of Jayhawks albums took a few weeks to wear on me (although I love them now), but this one I loved right away. For anyone who doesn't know yet, you can listen to all the tracks from the main album on Amazon.com if you prepurchase the CD. I can't wait for the show here in Denver on Friday.

braveheart
04-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Ordered it online..Should be here tomorrow hopefuly....8.99 with the bonus disc.
Sure beats buying from a High St chain!!

braveheart
04-07-2003, 02:49 PM
Great to see a few fellow Scots fans here!!
I take it we will all be at the Renfrew Ferry show!
Anyway im new here..Spend most of my time on the Springsteen boards..but wanted a wee change,so were better to come to one of my BIG faves after Bruce!!

christine
04-07-2003, 02:52 PM
yeah. bought my tickets a while ago, but still no sign of them.

i spend most of my time at a black crowes board, or the marc ford board. just look in here from time to time

braveheart
04-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Got mine from Ticketmaster..No sign of mine either.
Black Crowes...Sadly another great band bites the dust.
Saw them bottom of the bill Donington 91,and caught them every time they came to the Barrowlands and the QMU(shit venue)

Haggischomper
04-08-2003, 03:01 AM
I was at all those gigs too, Braveheart. QMU was indeed a shit venue but it was a pretty good gig, that one!

Don't have my tix for the Jayhawks yet - better get my finger out my butt before it is too late. I am house sitting in the Highlands right now so had to order Rainy Day thru' Amazon - should be here tomorrow, along with the new Lucinda Williams thank Christ!

I notice you are from Motherwell - I presume that means you don't support the local alleged fitba' team? I do and they are turning my bloody hair grey....

JockHawk
04-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Hi fellow Scots, no sign of my tickets either from TicketMaster, although they have taken the cash from my account. I'm not panicking though as they say that they may not arrive until ten days before the event and there is even a panic number 72 hours before hand. Hope I do not have to phone that.
Christine I ordered the cd from the same place as you, release date is supposed to be the 14th April.
HaggisChomper, nae luck last Saturday mate. The Pars deserved to win but your boys missed a couple of sitters.

Haggischomper
04-08-2003, 06:46 AM
that's 'Par' for the course for us there now - a real bogey park for us. One of many....

JockHawk
04-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Cheer up Haggis, there won't be any relegation this year. Hibs were far worse than you!

christine
04-08-2003, 07:28 AM
i was considering canceling it, which can be done easil with them. just login, go to your current orders or something like that, and click cancel.

im not going to bother though. i can wait another week

JockHawk
04-08-2003, 07:47 AM
Is it in the shops yet?. How come Amazon have it first. If it's in my local Indie store this afternoon, I'm just going to cancel and buy it.

Haggischomper
04-08-2003, 09:11 AM
It just plonked through my door 10 mins ago - listening right now! :)

JockHawk
04-08-2003, 10:10 AM
Where in tarnation is mine?. Is it any good HC?

Haggischomper
04-08-2003, 11:48 AM
aye, it's grand. Tailspin would be an early fave. I had it on the Women's Club acoustic thing but this version rocks pretty good.

alwaysblue
04-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Yay. I chased down the mail truck this morning and got my copy. Literally ran down the street and slipped in some wet leaves. It was worth it.

JockHawk
04-11-2003, 03:57 AM
:D
And the good news for myself and Christine is that the cd's are being despatched as I write. Tomorrow morning hopefully. No tickets as yet.

dorman70
04-11-2003, 08:38 AM
:( :( :(
Man, I'm pissed!!! I still don't have the CD yet!! Canada is getting the shaft!
The entertainment section of the daily news I subscribe to said that the new album would be released April 1st. I had already heard that it was delayed until the 8th but I figured I would check the stores anyway....the CD was nowhere to be found.
Then the daily news said it would be released on the 8th, I went to the record store yesterday to pick it up and they told me it has been delayed until the 15th!!!
I've downloaded all the songs off the net but it's not the same as having the REAL album.
I guess I just have to sit here and read all of your posts saying how much you're enjoying the album.

By the way, does anybody on here listen to the Cosmic Rough Riders? They have said that The Jayhawks are one of their musical influences and you can tell by the harmonies they write. Pretty good stuff, you should check it out.

Haggischomper
04-11-2003, 09:11 AM
last time Jayhawks played Glasgow, local boys Cosmic Rough Riders opened for them Think they have now lost their singer but not sure.

dorman70
04-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Haggis,
Now that would have been a GREAT concert!!! The CRR have lost their lead singer but have moved on and are getting set to release a new album soon. Looking forward to that one too.

What's with the Jayhawks fanbase in Scotland? Are other "alt-country" bands like Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Steve Earle as big as the Jayhawks?

JockHawk
04-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Steve Earl played here last week. I didn't go but it wasn't supposed to be that good. he played a small venue.

NY Fan
04-11-2003, 01:59 PM
I heard Steve kicked sand in Gary's face 'On the Beach'... That bully...

-- GM

wingchun100
04-12-2003, 05:55 PM
I got the new album last Thursday, listened to it on Friday. I was completely into it for tracks 1-6, kinda lost interest on 7 (Don't Let the World Get In Your Way), picked right back up on 8 and 9, then kinda got puzzled from 10 to 14. I don't know what it is, but the songs after "Angelyne" just didn't work for me on my first listen. I pressed play on my discman again and skipped immediately ahead to 10 and listend to the end of the album. Now I have a better assessment of the disc. It goes as follows:

IMMEDIATE FAVORITES

Stumbling through the Dark (& Reprise), Tailspin, All the Right Reasons, Save It for a Rainy Day, Eyes of Sarajane, One Man's Problem, Come to the River, Angelyne, Tampa to Tulsa

WILL TAKE TIME TO GROW ON ME-it's not that these songs are bad, but they are nowhere near the pop perfection of the ones that were immediate favorites

You Look So Young, Will I See You in Heaven

MAY NEVER LIKE

Don't Let the World Get in Your Way, Madman

Mosby
04-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Where to begin...I've been listening to the cd for a couple of months now (thanks IMesh! and yes I did buy several copies to support the boys) and have to say that the jury is still out as to where this cd will stand in relation to the Jayhawks body of work. I think it is still head and shoulders above the vast majority of stuff out there and, as a fan, I would buy Gary's solo shower songs. That being said, this is a pop album wrapped in an "Unplugged" package and productionaly polished to a neo country sheen (none of my copies have the much discussed vocal distortions). Mitchell Froom would be the next logical producer if they continue on this path.
Stumbling thru the Dark- Great tune, love Matthew Sweet, he and Gary are twin pop brothers separated at birth.
Tailspin- My Back Pages v3.0. (Dylan, Byrds, Jayhawks). Nice, tight, hooky song
All the Right Reasons-Gary's vocal delivery saves this one from being maudlin. His solo rendition at recent shows is the perfect setting for this song: stripped naked and raw.
Save it For a Rainy Day-Great pop song, reminds me thematically of Turning of the Tides by Richard Thompson.
Angelyne- Faux Zydeco quick stepper. Catchy song with great harmony vocals and a clever middle 8.
Dont let the World...- First impression is that Tim's been listening to Hunky Dory and #9 Dream.
Madman- From the lost CSN/Firefall sessions.
Come to the River- Springsteen and Flannery O'Connor closed the door on this metaphor. Not one of my favorites, almost a toss off.
You Look so Young- Musically I like the song but I can't help thinking of Jon Bennet Ramsey. It kinda gives me the creeps.
The rest I haven't formed an opinion on yet.
I really liked the dark complexity of SOL and parts of Smile (alright... all of Smile except for I'm Gonna Make You Love Me and the mechano drum loop). They both were kind of like those wooden Russian figurines that stack one inside the other and the smallest one had a treat hidden inside. Clever, articulate, meaty pop albums that rewarded repeated listening. They both also progressed in a new direction and didn't try for HTH or TTTG redux. I didn't miss Mark on either of these albums. However, on RDM his absence is painfully apparent.
Just one fan's $.02 opinion.

LiladyK
04-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Gee thanks!:(

Now when I hear my favorite song on RDM I'm gonna think of that lil Ramsey girl!

My gosh....it could almost apply to something like that, couldn't it? The lyrics I mean. And it has such a secretive sound. I'm gonna try to squeeze those thoughts outta my lil mind now:eek:

I'm still real impressed by the bridges and changes/HTH guitar solo sound of it :)

Mosby
04-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Yeah..I'm pretty sure that's not what Gary had in mind but ....
"you look so young/have you ever been afraid?" conjures up visions of a bloody clown suit hanging in some sicko's closet. That aside, musically I agree with you.

muskytoes
04-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Mosby
Yeah..conjures up visions of a bloody clown suit hanging in some sicko's closet.

So how do you get blood out of a clown suit???
I've tried almost everything!!!
Damn bloody clown suit
You'd think those things would be "stain-resistant".

Skitto-bites
04-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by muskytoes

So how do you get blood out of a clown suit???
I've tried almost everything!!!
Damn bloody clown suit
You'd think those things would be "stain-resistant".

What does this have to do with the new album???
Sicko-musky-toe

dorman70
04-16-2003, 09:50 AM
The CD came out in stores yesterday. It seems that we are CD challenged up in Canada!!!
Anyway, I've listened to it a few times and have formed almost the exact same opinion as "wingchun100".
The first 5 songs make a case for RDM being an early favorite for album of the year.
In my opinion, One Man's Problem is the start of a few weak songs, including Don't Let The World Get In Your Way and Come To The River.
Angelyne gets the album back on track but Madman doesn't continue the momentum.
The album finishes with some mediocre songs but luckily Stumbling Through The Dark re-emerges and makes me want to listen to it all over again.
The middle of the album will take a few more listens and maybe I'm just missing something on a few of the songs.
A "weak" Jayhawks song beats the majority of artists best songs so all in all I really do like the album.
Does it measure up to SOL, only time will tell but RDM will be in my 6-pack car CD player for a long time 'cause as I've read somewhere else on this board -- Jayhawks music is great driving music!!

P.S. I think the Jayhawks should team up with Matthew Sweet for an entire album-- Jayhawks' melodies with Matthew Sweet's penchant for great pop tunes would create an UNBELIEVABLE disc.

Haggischomper
04-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by dorman70
Haggis,
Now that would have been a GREAT concert!!! The CRR have lost their lead singer but have moved on and are getting set to release a new album soon. Looking forward to that one too.

What's with the Jayhawks fanbase in Scotland? Are other "alt-country" bands like Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Steve Earle as big as the Jayhawks?

Jayhawks fanbase is small but knowledgeable, I guess. Last time they played here they played the Fruitmarket which isn't huge but also gets guys of the calibre of Dr John and Warren Zevon playing at it (was also at those shows :) )

Steve Earle is bigger - I heard both his Scottish shows this tour were great, by the way - and, unfortunately, I missed them both due to timing. SV & UT aren't that big although Farrar has played here a few times solo now. In fact, his 1st ever solo gig was in Scotland, long before Sebastopol - I managed to get along to that one. Wilco's fanbase is ever increasing.

joshuatree
04-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Have had the cd for 2 weeks now and like it better than "Smile" but does not stack up against Hollywood or Green Grass.

I agree with others that the sound is a little too generic and missing that endearing looseness. Frankly, GL is the only reason this cd is listenable. The 5 or 6 good songs are cleverly written , some of which have the signature GL guitar sounds that drew me to the 'Hawks in the first place.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...GL's tracks on the last 2 smog records are better than anything on RDM 'cept for "Tailspin".

Next cd I'd like to see is something live with all the nuggets in a gritty, sweaty live performance.