PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Theatre not so mystic

Wilco
05-06-2004, 03:47 AM
According to OOR, a very respected music magazine here in the Netherlands, the new Mystic Theatre CD from the Creekdippers is ok but is not mystic at all. Olson is not present on 3 songs and in one of these songs, Betsy Dupree, Victoria Williams sounds as a combination of a spoiled witch and Bob Dylan. Now that made me laugh!!! :D

Wilco

Glacier65
05-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Is there a link to the review?

Wilco
05-11-2004, 02:59 AM
I checked the site (www.oor.nl), but I can't find a review online. I guess they only put reviews in the magazine.

Wilco

stillhouse
05-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Are you surprised? Neither one of them can sing.

JPM
05-28-2004, 05:09 AM
spillhouse, Olson= TIMELESS voice.

I take it, your a vocal expert are you?

NY Fan
05-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by stillhouse

LOL.

Glacier65
05-30-2004, 03:21 PM
\\Are you surprised? Neither one of them can sing\\

Yeah, the vocals on Sioux City, Martin's song, Red's Song, Nevada California, Over My Shoulder, Blue and Pray for Me are terrible, lol.

:rolleyes:

Calexico
06-03-2004, 09:48 AM
:D

JPM,
I have not a whole lot to contribute to this discussion apart from the fact that The Jayhawks have some of the sweetest voice around.Up there with Crosby,Stills and Nash and those amazing voices in The Thorns(Yah Shaun Mullins!)

I'm only replying cos your quote from a Bernie Leadon song actually made me laugh out loud!And being at work at the moment,that was probably not a good thing!!

If I ever die of a heart attack, I hope it will be from playing my stereo too loud. ~Anonymous

LiladyK
06-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by stillhouse

ok, so here is what I have noticed....

both Mark Olson and Victoria Williams can sing and they can both sing very well WHEN THEY THINK ABOUT IT AND TRY TO SING THAT WAY

I mean I don't think that either are "natural born singers"

On the first three Creekdipper CDs, I think Mark's voice sounds "almost" even better than on some of the Jayhawks CDs. You can tell it's because he is "thinking about it" and really trying (he talked in an interview about making the records and really thinking about it like this, as opposed to live it's less thought).

On the Jayhawks commercial CDs, Mark sounds good, because now, not only is he thinking about it, but he is one half of the unique univoical sound phenomenon, and that's a pretty powerful thing.

Listen to a lot of the live old Jayhawks or Creekdipper stuff tho....when Mark just hangs loose and doesn't try so hard, he can get kind of nasaly. Not always, but sometimes. Vic live can go all wild and wiggly w/her voice....but listen to her sing background on some of the commercial Creekdipper stuff and she can sound really nice sometimes. I think that she just doesn't care or want to sound like everyone else, even tho she has the ability to do so. Same w/Mark. I think he's becoming more like her lately, and not caring so much about trying to sing a certain way anymore...

zernie
06-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Mark isn't Placedo Domingo, thank God, but he knows how to move me. That's enough for me.
That Victoria-creature really gives me the creeps, I just don't get it. She keeps irritating me, and that's not only her voice.
I have to confess, I have this allergic to married couples on stage, but I can live with that as long as I both like them.
Two weeks ago I saw them in Germany; Mark was very loving and caring for her. After ten years of marriage he still seemed very much in love, beautiful to see.
But the only thing she's busy with is herself, bouncing around the stage looking for her flip-flops, arranging plastic flowers in front. Rambling around and nobody understands what this fuzz is all about. Sounding like a big little kid: "No I don't wanna play that song, I wanna do another one." Mark did his best trying to keep close to the setlist, but it was hard for him. It didn't help when he called out to her several times :"Earth calling Victoria".
After a while he asked her to sing some more songs (no, please, no no no) but she just didn't, which made me very happy. ;) But it was obvious Mark wasn't happy with it. He kept asking 3 or 4 times, saying that he really had it. I was like duh ? :confused: Then she sung some more songs.
They did two encores, first one with, second one without Mark. It was then Victoria mentioned Mark had been sick and hadn't completely recovered yet.
Oh??!!?? He was sitting with his cousin, signing cd's, so I asked how he was doing and what happened. He told me he got some strange Yugoslavian virus which made him constantly throw up. It even got him in the hospital a couple of days!!
When I heard this I was so amazed about her behaviour that night. I made me wanna ask what the f*#*ck are you doing with that woman. :mad:
But I wisely kept my mouth shut. :o

So if anyone here on the board has a clue, I sure would like to hear !

Glacier65
06-05-2004, 01:38 PM
When I saw them live she drove me crazy as well. Reminded me of a big spoiled baby. Im sure she is nice, and has a good soul but performance wise, I could only take so much. I really considered leaving.

LiladyK
06-05-2004, 02:25 PM
true love does BIZARRE things to one's mind, it makes you blind, deaf, do and say irrational things, believe in something that everyone else knows is impossible....and the object of your affection can do no wrong whatsoever, and I mean no wrong

"the things we do for love...like walking in the rain and the snow when there's no place to go"

been there done that:o

Mark worshipped this woman from afar for YEARS before they finally got together and he still does. Ask him why and he won't know. That's how love works, it just smacks you in the face one day and you're sucked in for a life time if you're lucky.

Never see her giving back to him publicly, but perhaps she does at home, who knows? Or she does in a diff way, whatever. She's pretty damn lucky to have him doting and gushing all over her.

when we saw them last, he and his mic/instrument never faced the audience once the entire show....his body was turned completely toward her, staring at her w/an ear to ear grin