PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks First Ave 12-28-02

muskytoes
12-31-2002, 07:20 AM
First off I would say that I didn't attend Friday's show and was dissappointed that Kraig and the Program would not be the warm up act Saturday night. So we didn't even head downtown until 7:45, there were tons of people out as E-Block is now open, a Rodeo at Target Center ment parking was scarce. We made it into the Club got drinks and found friends right away. Sure enough Pirner, Murphy, and Johnson were in rock star alley, and things looked good in the club everybody was upbeat and excited. Wow a film crew you don't see that everyday, and the show starts on time, go figure some union rules for the crew probably states they need too.

"I'm Gonna Make You..." opens the show, bet anybody could have guessed that one, every show this year cept the Medina (told ya that show was weird). Gary's got the Red Ric. on and he's playing for the camera, wearing a Gold Shirt, what the hell he usually dresses up. "Two Hearts" Already, well OK, slow it down and dance with the Wife. NLTB is next and musky is happy drinking large bottles of NewCastle is good in the belly. "What Led Me..." Room to roam but noplace to call home, pretty much says it all. "Aint No End" is loud and sparkles with Tim's vocals, Gary's second solo is warped and trimmed, big ending, very nice. "Driving Wheel" is expected and the crowd is responding well to the boom camera in their faces.
"Man Who Loved Life" is well played and the line "Am I livin' in a dream" takes on a new meaning. "Life Floats By" sounded good from the bathroom.
"Save it for a Rainy Day" and Gary's on the acoustic guitar, too quiet for First Ave this song is lost in the mumbling and jumbled jargon of patrons surrounding us, wondering what this new stuff is supposed to sound like. "Jennifer" gets people moving again a real crowd pleaser and a tease for other "Smogesque" things to happen. "Tailspin" is actually played really well and the song is starting to grow on me (a little). "Haywire" is still in the set, where's "Trouble"? "I'd Run Away" is good but momentum is lost. "Clouds" is great Tim does an outstanding job with this song a highlight of the night for sure, everyone is singing along in perfect unison. "Trouble" where were you 2 songs ago? "Real Light" wow great solo's from Gary smokin' hot. "Angleyne" Gary's got the acousitc and everybody's talking again, guess we know why they had to do an acoustic set at the Women's Club. Now it sounds like Marina. "Break in the Clouds" is fun they got the blue/green lights on the band and the camera's right in their face, I'm sure it's a soulful reading but the camera's in the way again. "Bottomless Cup" Thank god another Tim song to bop and sway to, "I could use you now" resoniates through the club, it's a beautiful thing Tim does, when he sings those long notes and crashes down on the drums. "Until You Came Along" and the boys are joined by some special guests, Danny, Woody, and Blake do a fine job of backing vocals, but nothing else happens. They end the set with "Big Star" and I'm throughly dissappointed.

Encores: "Waiting..." Gary solo (yawn look at watch) "Sound of Lies" well at least it's a short song. "Tampa to Tulsa" while this is my favorite of the new material it's totally out of place here and drags, all momentum is lost and people are now leaving, "Blue" some folks linger to hear the "hit" they once had or remember days and friends that used to be here for holiday shows. Gary says there gonna play some more, "Sister Cry" is Awesome Gary's SG weeps with raw emotion, two solo's isn't enough, he works it into a slow frenzy and feedbacks until "The Devil's knockin' at your door, but I can lead them all astray...It just don't matter what the people say" big song this is where they shine like no other, many cheers and hoots from the rodeo folks now stumbling in the door. "Smile" is just OK "Isn't a Pity" is a cover tune I've never heard them do and it's alright but no "Superstar". "Baby,Baby,Baby" ends the show, Gary jumps into the audience and Blake pulls his guitar back onstage and proceeds to do his best Jimmy Page for the cameras. This is it? No Kraig, No Dave, It's not like I expect Tweedy to walk on and do "Radio King" but c'mon we've seen alot better and with the film crew you would have thought some thing better than Danny and Woody. Oh well, guess I should be glad I've seen the boys play here for the last 15 years. Maybe I just expect too much, but for $15 a ticket it's still worth the price of addmission and pretty sweet show. Now who has a copy of the show?

glacier55
01-02-2003, 09:49 PM
\\Encores: "Waiting..." Gary solo (yawn look at watch) "Sound of Lies" well at least it's a short song. "Tampa to Tulsa" while this is my favorite of the new material it's totally out of place here and drags, all momentum is lost and people are now leaving, "\\

Muskytoes :

You are telling me Sound of Lies and Waiting for the sun were "bad"?Those were some of the highlights of the show for me, whereas the new material was poor.

How much did you have to drink? Were you stoned?

glacier55
01-02-2003, 09:51 PM
\\"Bottomless Cup" Thank god another Tim song to bop and sway to,\\

"bopping" to bottomless cup?

It's about someones dead/dying mother. You sure you are grasping what the Hawks are about?

TimRoss
01-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Oh, this should be good...

poorlittlefish
01-03-2003, 12:25 AM
It's about someones dead/dying mother.

You know, I'm just a little curious as to what makes you think that...

glacier55
01-03-2003, 02:26 AM
\\You know, I'm just a little curious as to what makes you think that...\\

The lyrics.

Do you guys listen to those or just slam Coors light and wobble around at the shows?

No offsense, I like everyone here quite a bit, but I wonder sometimes.

"Walk me to the bus
Tell me it's alright(obvious reference)
Talk the man out of the first drink and drive
Rock away my terror
After I burn the place down

But you know
The years make things different
If you go
The bottomless cup runs out(the bottomeless cup of love a mother has for her kids)
You never gave up on me

I think I let you down
I could use you around
There's nothing quite like the sound of
Your voice in the evening
Calling my name
It's getting late ( remeber playing as a child, alerted to dinner time by your mothers voice?)

You used to say "I love you"
A hundred times a day
What ya gonna say
When you learn they turned me

The day is gonna come
For something to take you
But it's clear
Nothing comes near to you
I lower my sights
You never gave up on me

I think I let you down
I could use you around

I gotta get backů"

muskytoes
01-03-2003, 08:57 AM
SOL and Waiting were expected and played to perfection, It's just that, expected and perfect.
I wanted some damn obscure cover song to blow me away...Sorry if I'm too old school and jaded for you, but I have seen these songs played to death and besides we now have perfect copies of those songs from the Women's Club Boot. In a different enviroment they would have been highlights for me.

Drunk or Stoned they would have been worse...

muskytoes
01-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by glacier55
\\"Bottomless Cup" Thank god another Tim song to bop and sway to,\\

"bopping" to bottomless cup?

It's about someones dead/dying mother. You sure you are grasping what the Hawks are about?

SO I shouldn't sway to a sad song about my Mother when I'm with my Wife, who is also the Mother of our children???
What are the Hawks about???
Do you have an Electra complex???
Can someone help poor Glacier55 he misses his mommy...

muskytoes
01-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by glacier55
\\You know, I'm just a little curious as to what makes you think that...\\

"Walk me to the bus
Tell me it's alright(obvious reference)
Talk the man out of the first drink and drive
Rock away my terror
After I burn the place down

The bottomless cup runs out(the bottomeless cup of love a mother has for her kids)
You never gave up on me

Calling my name
It's getting late ( remeber playing as a child, alerted to dinner time by your mothers voice?)

Please Explain the line:"Talk the man out of the first drink and drive" is this the drunk school bus driver that molested you as your mommy sent you to kindergarden???

A mother's love is a bottomless cup therefore it would never run out as suggested.

I remember being called for dinner but it wasn't late at nite. Did your mommy forget to feed you too?

This song does hint at somethings that could be considered grievious. (like a dead or dying mother) It also conjurers up imagery of anyone's spontaneous loss of love. But this is the mark of great poetry when the same words can be used for something so deep and profoundly different for everyone.

I didn't want to Flame on you Glacier55, you left me little choice, I've been a fan since the Bunkhouse record came out and played the Hawks on College Radio in the 80's...I'm frickin' Al Bundy married with children, you couldn't rattle my cage on a good day.:D

Haggischomper
01-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Oooo! Fightin'!!

NY Fan
01-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey, you know when I first read musky's review -- and btw, thanks for posting one; where are all the other opinions from the locals who are lucky enough to approach being jaded about another 'Hawks show? -- I was a tiny bit annoyed at some of it. But after a few Coors Lights, I've mellowed; sure enough, the Silver Bullet really won't slow you down!

Seriously, rereading his post I'm reminded of the fact that these are JUST HIS OPINIONS! And, as always, there's an iceberg or big block of prehistoric frozen water or -- what's the word I'm looking for? oh yeah, a glacier! -- that just doesn't like it when people disagree with him.

You know what, though, flame on! I love a good brawl. Thanks for the show, guys!

-- GM

glacier55
01-03-2003, 03:45 PM
\\Muskytoes: If the Jayhawks playing Jayhawks songs bores you, maybe you should stop going to so many shows. You are like a guy who goes to Murray's and orders the Silver Butter Knife Steak every night, and then complains that they never bring you a cheeseburger\\

lol

glacier55
01-03-2003, 03:49 PM
\\Please Explain the line:"Talk the man out of the first drink and drive" is this the drunk school bus driver that molested you as your mommy sent you to kindergarden???\\

Wow, you are really sick. What made you think of this?

How rude.

\\I remember being called for dinner but it wasn't late at nite. Did your mommy forget to feed you too?\\

What I meant was sunset/dusk.

Wow, someone is cranky eh? Maybe you should go to another Jayhawk show with a food stained t-shirt, smoke some one hitters and lush out on 7 or 8 Rolling Rocks, with the flab hanging over your belt.

Don't forget to wobble and bobble as you sing the jayhawks lyrics with eyes half closed, reeking of cheap beer, unaware that others around you are getting irritated by the larger and larger circle your drunken "dance" is causing.

Haggischomper
01-03-2003, 03:56 PM
can anyone actually lush out on 7 or 8 Rolling Rocks? Man, that stuff is like drinking coloured fizzy water.

poorlittlefish
01-03-2003, 04:31 PM
For the record, I do listen to the lyrics, and I just gathered from them that the song was about a love affair, ok? And I would also like to state, that I don't just slam Coors Light all night (YUCK) and wobble around at shows. I may wobble, but it has nothing to do with alcohol consumption. I'm just clumsy. Besides, I hardly ever get drunk at concerts for 2 reasons:

1. Usually I'm the DD and
2. I like to enjoy the music and remember the night

In fact, the last time I was drunk at a concert was when I went to see Alice Cooper 2 years ago. It was so lame... I had no choice...

jrwill59
01-03-2003, 06:09 PM
It looks like the self-appointed "King of All Things Jayhawk" has once again decided to come out of his Ivory castle and float his wisdom to the struggling masses. We are so blessed! I've read with deep interest the shock and horror you feel at witnessing grown adults consuming "BEER", "AT SHOWS", "FOR MONEY". While I agree that this can be dangerous, I submit that it is also totally unsafe, and that you place thousands of innocent men, women, and children at risk when you drive to these shows with your head up your ass. Have you no sense of decency? People who may have a few too many are encouraged to use a designated driver. Of course, a four hour car ride with all of the monster thoughts that fall out of your head like shit into a septic tank would make the Bataan Death March seem like a trip to Disneyland. :cool:

glacier55
01-04-2003, 02:11 AM
\\can anyone actually lush out on 7 or 8 Rolling Rocks? Man, that stuff is like drinking coloured fizzy water\\

If you cant get a hard buzz on 7-8 beers you need to check into rehab.

NY Fan
01-04-2003, 08:59 AM
silly glacier! all the REAL lushes know that RR has the lowest alcohol content of almost any beer out there! 7 or 8 rocks is like 5 or 6 of any other beer, and that ain't grounds for rehab!

-- GM

(arrested for dwi... on lawnmower...)

LiladyK
01-04-2003, 10:12 PM
whoa...go out of town for a few days and this board really heats up!:eek:

I guess I thought Bottomless Cup was about 2 lovers too...but analyzing it more I can see it can be about a mother's love. Not sure if the mother is dead or dying tho....a child looking back and regretting can happen at anytime.

When I think about it, I can see how some of the local fans may view Jayhawks shows differently from those of us that aren't local. I mean we're just so damn happy to get to see this band 3-4 times in a whole year, some of us. Others only get once a year if even that. But how many times have the Jayhawks played Mpls? Need I say much more? The locals have the luxury of picking and choosing and going to a gazillion Jayhawks shows, so I'm not surprised that there would be a boring moment or two at some time for some of them personally. They have a hell of a lot to compare to. And Musky getting to see the band for the past 15 years? God, I didn't even know the band existed before 1999. What I'd give to turn back the hands of time and follow this band since back then:(
So...we all simply speak from personal situation and perspective.

muskytoes
01-06-2003, 01:48 PM
The sad thing is really that with all the year end lists and tallys the boys were pretty much left in the cold. Not a mention of the Women's Club show or the Offical Boot in any of the major newspapers or even the City Pages. So you see I'm a little disappointed but that's nothing compared to being forgotten about. So as far as jaded locals go, at least I'm still supporting the band and going to shows.(when I could probably smooze my way in for free) As NyFan says Where are all the other locals?? At least I post a review for you folks.
Check out setlists from previous years, this year wasn't anything to write home about.

Ordinarygirl
01-06-2003, 02:14 PM
I saw this one (tiny) mention in yesterday's Minneapolis Star Tribune ("Quick Spins" is a collection of musical odds & ends, little news items). Not much for the hometown paper, but it is publicity:

Quick Spins
Jon Bream

"The Jayhawks' "Rainy Day Songs" will be released in April. It was produced by Ethan Johns and features guests Matthew Sweet, Jakob Dylan and ex-Eagle Bernie Leadon. "

muskytoes
01-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I saw that in last Sunday's Art's and Entertainment section...pretty weak.
barely mentions the band, I guess it's only newsworthy because they have "guests" appearing on the album. (not onstage)
Jon Bream hates everything and that Chris Reimeinstimer is even worse. I wish Gary would wear a T-Shirt that says "Who the Hell is Chris Reimenstiener???" That would be funny:D

takemewithyou
01-06-2003, 04:38 PM
...and he can't even get the album title right ;)

glacier55
01-06-2003, 09:49 PM
\\The sad thing is really that with all the year end lists and tallys the boys were pretty much left in the cold. Not a mention of the Women's Club show or the Offical Boot in any of the major newspapers or even the \\

Thats because the Jayhawks are simply not the band they were without Mark Olson on board.

NY Fan
01-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Here, here! I, too, think they sound much better now. Good for you for finally coming around, oh glacial one!

-- GM ;)