PDA

View Full Version : Album advice sought

Cj-smith
03-02-2004, 02:54 PM
I have just become a JayHawks fan with their latest album "Rainy Day Music" and I want some advice on which album is either better or next best. Help?
Thanks

Lenno
03-02-2004, 03:14 PM
and you can't go wrong....

Start with....
1. Hollywood Town Hall

and then work your way down with
2. Tomorrow The Green Grass
3. Smile
4. Sound Of Lies
5. Blue Earth

Enjoy and welcome aboard!

wheelhousetunes
03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Excellent advice, Lenno!

-JP

Cj-smith
03-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take it!
Have you ever seen The JayHawks perform live?
CJ-S

justin5492
03-06-2004, 08:40 AM
I've seen them live twice, been listening to them for about 13 years, My advice, if you got the cash, buy all the albums, they are all distinctive in their own way. I don't know that there is a bad one in the bunch, so enjoy.

hellaciousc
03-12-2004, 03:59 PM
i would definitely buy "blue earth" last, if you're new to the jayhawks. that is the least like Rainy Day.

Hollywood Town Hall is very different from Rainy Day, but is probably most recognized as their "masterpiece".

all the albums are great though.

CarlB
03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Someone had asked a similar question some time ago, to which I had replied that they should buy all the Jayhawks CD's, place them in a CD Changer, and press the Random Play button.

Of course, a full review from the listener would be required - and there could be no looking to see which CD the songs were on.

This is really something that should be done. Perhaps we could obtain some Federal grant money to conduct this experiment.

If we are not able to find folks to do this, I am willing to have the last 20 years of my memory wiped out, and then be selected for this experiment.

JayB
03-18-2004, 02:39 AM
I'd say:

1. Hollywood Town Hall
2. Sound Of Lies
3. Tomorrow The Green Grass
4. Blue Earth
5. Smile

but that's just my personal taste.

Anyway, welcome!

Amy Beth
03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
CarlB wrote:
This is really something that should be done. Perhaps we could obtain some Federal grant money to conduct this experiment.

Just last month I had a chance to take a class on writing grant applications but there was a slight scheduling conflict and I wasn't sure I'd ever have the chance to use it. Alas... I've got to become more forward thinking!

gemma
04-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi All

New to the Jayhawks fan front also.

Starting listening to Rainy Day in November, and still have not tired of it.

Can listen to Hollywood town hall, sound of lies for hours too.

Will spare you the diatribe on my favorite songs.

I am thrilled to bits about having gotten Live from the Women's Club, as I really truly enjoy hearing them live. And now a new album....

So here is my newbie question. Where is the best place to get a hold of the singles (Like Blue Earth and so forth) I see some are for sale used on Amazon UK, but I live in Tokyo.

Any direction on where I can get a hold of them that would ship overseas to Tokyo would be most sincerely appreciated. I'm orginally from NY (If anybody is from Staten Island, please send me a pm!) but have lived in Tokyo for 10 years.

Thanks. I am enjoying reading these posts immensely. Buy a virtual cup of coffee for all....

Aileen

ChiefCrowe
05-12-2004, 01:43 AM
personally i'd recommend going in chronological order.

LizzyLou
06-08-2004, 10:40 AM
hey, I'm a newbie too, started listening last september. that whole chronological order thing really helped, though I've already heard Smile and Rainy Day Music. I think I'll start on Hollywood Town Hall next, thanks for the help guys:)

Calexico
06-13-2004, 07:39 PM
:cool:

Chronologically would be probably the best way to go.But any 'Hawks album is going to be a joy once discovered.
To all the newcomers to the 'Hawks music,enjoy and I wish I could only discover them all over again.:D

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"
George W. Bush(no,really!!)