View Full Version : 1/18/04 Lancaster, PA

02-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Saw The Jayhawks for the first time two weeks ago at The American Music Theater in Lancaster. They were fantastic. I've been a fan since "Blue Earth" where Olson and Louris both sounded to me like Gram Parsons reincarnated. I'm a huge Byrds fan, particularly Sweetheart of the Rodeo and all it inspired. I love all The Jayhawks recordings. To me they are the very best of the entire Americana/Alt-Country genre, combining the best elements of The Beatles, The Byrds, Gram Parsons, CSN and Neil Young, all the while being brilliantly original. The Lancaster show included Stephen McCarthy on pedal steel, B-bender tele, regular tele, acoustic guitar and banjo. Gary Louris looked so cool in his (Beatlesque) suit and with his (3-D) glasses catching and reflecting the different colored stage lights, it took on a sort of psychedelic/science fiction look. Harmonies were amazing, they sounded as good as their records. Here's the setlist:

Stumbling Through The Dark
Jenniver Save Me
Nevada, California
Real Light
Two Hearts
Queen of the World
A Break in the Clouds
Tampa to Tulsa
Think About It
Eyes of Sarahjane
Fools on Parade
All the Right Reasons (which Gary said was for Gene Clark)
Save It For A Rainy Day
(Neil Young's) Expecting to Fly (Fantastic performance! Gary said he got high
from singing it!)
Waiting for the Sun
Bottomless Cup (with Gary on Rickenbacker 12-string)
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (Gary again on Ric 12-string)

Settled Down Like Rain
The Baltimore Sun
Sound of Lies
I'd Run Away
Sister Cry (Long, great jam)

I'm so glad I finally got to see The Jayhawks. Hope they continue to record and tour for a very long time.