PDA

View Full Version : What's this about a hiatus????

sixpats
01-25-2004, 07:02 AM
My uninitiated friend told me that he heard that the Jayhawks were breaking up. I sthis true or are they just taking a break? Anybody?

smilin'
01-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Gary spoke to the audience on this. Some fans also asked him about it after the shows. They are going to Spain and Sweeden in March. Taking some time off until then. Gary says "it's a break" . No indication of a breakup.

sixpats
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks Smilin'
That's certainly good news
JIm

NY Fan
01-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by smilin'
They are going to Spain and Sweeden in March. Taking some time off until then. Gary says "it's a break" . No indication of a breakup.

I also don't see them breaking up, but I definitely got the sense that the hiatus would take place after this tour. I don't think Gary's talking about the few weeks between now and Europe as "the break."

I have the sense this could be the last we see of them for a couple of years.

-- GM

sixpats
01-26-2004, 09:46 AM
I wish The Beatles could have done that. So many great bands now have the perspective to never call it quits but to take a break now and then. It keeps them fresh as artists and us fans hungry for more. As I am a new fan, only discovering them about a year and a half ago, I feel I have only just discovered The Jayhawks rich catalogue of fantastic songs and musicianship. Just like The Beatles each album progressed each time leaving me surprised and delighted. It also helps that I can play along with all of their songs making the experience very personal. Since I found them I have turned on so many of my friends that some of us are always at the shows when they come to New York City.

LiladyK
01-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by NY Fan

I don't think Gary's talking about the few weeks between now and Europe as "the break."

I have the sense this could be the last we see of them for a couple of years.

-- GM

I agree w/you NY fan......

he told me last November, "I don't think we're gonna be doing much more in the future". He mentioned to me about Spain again and wanting to move there (which I had read somewhere of him telling that to other people too). Lucky you, Jony ;)

"Oh, it's just a cool place!" he said.

At first I was sad, but now I'm putting myself in their shoes. I'd be so sick and tired of all of this by now. Eighteen years of it, night after night, a lot of the same songs over and over.....I'd have been ready to do something different even earlier than that if I had been in the band.

Lenno
01-26-2004, 12:36 PM
can't we move this to the general discussion. It is interesting and gets more feedback over there I think!

rlb572
01-26-2004, 06:19 PM
we all heard gary's talk about a break, and who knows man, these guys are the real thing and sometimes noone ever knows the real thing till its gone..................if you were at the keswick on saturday night you may have been one of the lucky ones to have been there when the lights went out, let it linger......bob

sambodelight
01-26-2004, 06:34 PM
This was the first Jayhawks show I have ever attended. I have been a listener fromWXPN which Gary mentioned on the show Sat. night at the Keswick. By the first song I was ready to go on the road and be a groupy for life. The vocals and harmonies were paralyzing. If it has to be my last Jayhawks concert I ever get to see I'm really thankful I got to see this one.

illbecominhome
01-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by LiladyK

I agree w/you NY fan......

he told me last November, "I don't think we're gonna be doing much more in the future". He mentioned to me about Spain again and wanting to move there (which I had read somewhere of him telling that to other people too). Lucky you, Jony ;)

"Oh, it's just a cool place!" he said.

At first I was sad, but now I'm putting myself in their shoes. I'd be so sick and tired of all of this by now. Eighteen years of it, night after night, a lot of the same songs over and over.....I'd have been ready to do something different even earlier than that if I had been in the band.

Well, as far as I know Gary was thinking about buying a house in Cádiz I think, that's the province next to mine, so that's a cooool thing Kim. Don't know if he has changed his mind or the place, but... that's great!

sixpats
01-28-2004, 11:11 PM
this thread grows more ominous as the days go by....:confused: Thunder bay was a drag baby.....

jrwill59
01-29-2004, 07:05 PM
If, as their label says on its website, that a live cd will be released this year, I would think that some touring would be involved to support it. Or maybe not? We can always hope!

sambodelight
01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't think there is much support when a group puts out a live album.

I do hope if there is a live album some of the songs from the Keswick will be on it. They were so tight.

Balloon Man
01-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I hope this ain't the end of the ride....

I was just getting started!

larchstor
01-30-2004, 03:49 PM
How about a nice Golden Smog tour during the hiatus?

justin5492
01-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Well, If he wants to move to Cadiz, I work there. A little town called Cadiz, Ohio. There's lots of land for sale and lakes and coal mines and poor people and, oh forget it, he won't want to come here! Heck come to think about it, I want to get out!!!!!!!!

I drove up from eastern Ohio to see the friday night show in NYC. Took my friends from Staten Island that hadn't heard the band before. They are hooked!!!!
I also got to see the band in Pittsburgh (Rosebud..Rosebud..Rosebud..) in the fall of 03 as well.
I have been a fan a long time and appreciate the fact that I got to see them play and hear this timeless music live in person. I understand bands come and go, this one has been around longer than most and has changed alot through the years since my becoming a fan in the early 90's, but I must say none have done as much for me personally. I would really hate to see them go, but I will get on with it. Ladies and Gentleman, past present and future members of The Jayhawks.......Thank you so very much!!!!!!!
I've got some vacation time and a passport, perhaps I should hitch a ride to Europe????????? Any travel partners? Or anyone got a place for me to crash??