PDA

View Full Version : Keswick Review

ssn1026
01-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Just returned home from yet another awesome Jayhawks show (my third this week & yet I'm still wanting to see more). The band has never sounded better & gave the sellout crowd 26 stellar songs. Gary mentioned the Jayhawks fanpage & what a great site it is. He also said he had the opportunity to meet some of its members at the New York show (I remember Nutshell's name coming up). Gary also said that this show would be their last in the US for quite awhile. Here are the songs in order:

Stumbling Through The Dark
Angelyne
What Led Me To This Town
Nevada, California
Real Light
Eyes Of Sarah Jane
One Man's Problem (Gary kept forgetting the words to the chorus & was able to joke about it with the audience)
Queen Of The World
Tampa To Tulsa
Expecting To Fly
Wichita
Fools On Parade
Pray For Me
Think About It
All The Right Reasons
Save It For A Rainy Day
Sound Of Lies
Blue
Waiting For The Sun
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me

Encores:
Settled Down Like Rain
Baltimore Sun
Jennifer Save Me
I'd Run Away
Tailspin (with Tim Easton on acoustic guitar)
Sister Cry

After the show, I had a chance to snap some pictures & talk with Gary. I asked him when the Live album might be coming out & he said he wasn't sure at this time. His comment was that he was heading home to listen to these songs & determine what would make the final album. Just another terrific evening with the Jayhawks :D

nutshell
01-25-2004, 10:20 AM
I have so much to say about both the Keswick and Town Hall I hardly know where to begin! Meeting smilin', Lenno, NYfan,USW fan and all the friends and family was super. Smilin', great that you thought to arrange this! Had so much fun talking with all of you, Cynthia, smilin's wife was so nice, Fun watching NYfan just taking in all the gear before the show, smilin' so generous picking up our whole tab!! Treat you at the next show! Thanks to all of you. This made it such a special night. Don't need to say again what a fantastic show Friday night was.

I didn't have tickets for Keswick, it was sold out by the time I realized I could make it. A very nice gentleman Friday night heard I didn't have tickets, and told me to call him and he would try to arrange it;) I called the number, and left a message, and got a call back at my house Saturday afternoon. Everything was set! So gracious. So my sister and I went. Had great seats. When the Jayhawks came on, A guy and girl slipped into the seats next to us. It was Tim Easton. He later joined the guys onstage for a song.

I thought the crowd did not seem like a Jayhawks crowd at first, but then they did warm up, and there did seem to be some real strong fans. The guys sounded great, highlights were One man's problem, even with Gary forgetting some of the words. I've always loved that song, and wondered why the didn't do it. The more quiet songs were especially beautiful in this lovely theater. All the right reasons was stunning. You could have heard a pin drop. Jennifer save me great. Stephen's banjo on Baltimore Sun was wonderful. And Gary did mention the website, said how he had met some of us the night before, mentioned me, smilin' and NYfan. So fun to hear that! Said it was a great site, not run by (I think he said management) but by fans. So a much deserved compliment to Sandy.

After the show, we waited around with a few other fans. We had after show passes, and were thinking great we get to hang out with everyone after, but alas, the security guys said, no one gets backstage, if you have a pass wait here, if not get out! So the guys came out after a few minutes, Gary seemed preoccupied needed to find someone in particular, but later took plenty of time to talk with a cute young kid who was a fan. One guy had a beautiful guitar, which he asked all the Jayhawks sign, and they did. We talked with Marc for a bit about them going to Spain, and he was telling us how much they like the country. Nothing but great things to say about Spain. We talked to Stephen, but all too briefly, as he was talking to others, and then had to go. It was all too fast, and I imagine that the guys maybe had a lot to do as it was the last night of the tour, or else they had a party to get to!
All in all a great night, thank you so much to the man who got tickets for us, and thanks to the Jayhawks for the music. Hope to see you again sometime!

illbecominhome
01-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks Nutshell for all that stuff, and for the details on Marc's thinking about Spain. Somebody should tell him that there'll be another black t-shirt waiting for Pearly the next time they get around here.
And I guess some American fan should do the Lenno-reversed trip and take a look to a Spanish show, that would be pretty interesting I guess, any volunteer? ;)

Balloon Man
01-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Last night (Keswick) was my FIRST Jayhawks show and I was Blown away. Had seats 12th row to the right of the stage.

Bought Sound of Lies years ago when it came out and gathered a few bootlegs that I've listened to over the last couple years. I always wanted to see them but for whatever reason, couldn't swing it but LAST NIGHT.....

First off we sat next to a guy (seasoned veteren) who bought his whole family (kids too) and he helped answer my questions about the history of the band and what to expect. Also the Theatre sound was spectacular.

As far as what I saw, I was only familiar with about half of the songs they played (mostly towards the 2nd half). STill everything was awesome and while Gary (from where we sat) lookek a bit like a young Howard Stern, his command of the stage and showmanship were apparent right away. I really like his use of the harp too. Just perfect, not used too much like say Springsteen and Dylan. He doesn't "jam" with it, but uses it for "flavor". Tim was hidden a bit behind his drums but We really liked the way he played too.

I think the thing that impressed me the most was how tight the vocals were. I judge how good a band is by how well they throw down live and this band was one of the best I've ever heard.

Of course, today I wish I started seeing them earlier in the tour but I guess it gives me a few months to get to know the rest of their material before the next show.

Great board here, And I hope to get to know a few of you and meet further up the road.

rlbesq572
01-26-2004, 08:35 AM
i've seen probably 7 or 8 jayhawks shows over the years, and am always astounded by their live performances- tight vocals, gary's stage presence, piercing guitar work (and how about those guitars)......they really seem to have earned time off the road though, and they'll be missed ..............the keswick show was wonderful, we'll have to bottle it though i'm afraid, since we won't see them again for some time............i should know this, but i don't- what record does the song, "jennifer save me" come from?......thanks, bob

smilin'
01-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by rlbesq572
what record does the song, "jennifer save me" come from?

Golden Smog's, "Weird Tales". Very worthwhile.

yocostello
01-26-2004, 10:01 AM
After ten years of loving the Jayhawks, I finally was able to see them at the Keswick show. I have to say that it was truly amazing, and though I have long put the Jayhawks up among my top bands of all time, the show solidified and enhanced any appreciation that I had for them previously. I couldn't help but to sing and laugh as my wife and I took part in what I saw as a special night with the Jayhawks. Gary is amazing, as is the rest of the band, and the venue was nice and seemed fairly intimate. I was so excited to see them and to take part in the music, and I look forward to the day when I can see them again.
Great website, by the way. Thanks for posting the set list, as I forgot to take a pen with me to the show. I can now send a cd to my brother-in-law in Homer, AK with the shows songs on it. He will be happy for me and jealous at the same time.
Much love for the Jayhawks.

stillhouse
01-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Alright--how about some critical comments about Keswick show? Overall, the show was excellent. But, I have some negatives as well: (1) the stage lighting was inconsistent, often too dark and seemed to be largely an afterthought (not sure who controls this, but, it was distracting); (2) the lack of keyboards was, in my opinion, a real drawback to a sound which was otherwise outstanding; (3) one of my pet peeves at concerts is meaningless guitar (or instrumental breaks) and there were a number of them thrown in to this set--especially the last encore; (4) can we get the drum kit off the stage floor and onto a riser so we can see TO--especially when he plays such a big part with regard to vocals? (5) relatedly, why hide the pedal steel behind the set--there seemed to be plenty of room on the stage; (6) I really hate it when the act is unsure of what town they are in. So, there you go, a little fuel for discussion.

Balloon Man
01-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Still........

A bad day at a Jayhawks Concert is better than a good day somewhere else.

I agree about the Riser, I could hardly see TO,, and we were close to the stage

nutshell
01-26-2004, 09:12 PM
I agree with the critical comments about seeing Tim/drums and Stephen/steel better. Did not miss the keyboards with Stephen there (although I do love Karen). The only thing I would add as far as criticism is that the Keswick program had a picture of the "Jayhawks" and they had Mark O. and Ken Callahan in it AND no Tim or Stephen!!!! Not good. However, it is a beautiful theater, and the people working it were the nicest anywhere.

Icehaid
01-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by stillhouse

I really hate it when the act is unsure of what town they are in. So, there you go, a little fuel for discussion.

What - did Gary say "Hello Cleveland" or something?

Balloon Man
01-26-2004, 11:54 PM
What - did Gary say "Hello Cleveland" or something?

No I think what happened is that the Theatre was in Glenside PA just minutes from Philadelphia. So it's hard to say "Hello Philadelphia" when you're in Glenside. He was confused.

He did thank WXPN (Philly radio station) that is the only station you'll hear Jayhawks at all.

Icehaid
01-27-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Balloon Man

No I think what happened is that the Theatre was in Glenside PA just minutes from Philadelphia. So it's hard to say "Hello Philadelphia" when you're in Glenside.

No it's not - and that's my point. Does anyone *ever* say "it's nice to be back in Glenside" or "hello Glenside?"
In concert terms, just minutes from Philly *IS* Philly.

Similarly, in the Chicago area, if a band plays at the Allstate Arena or Rosemont Theatre, it's considered "Chicago," although technically Rosemont is a suburb.

To expect a band to say "Hello Rosemont" would be overly pedantic, don't you think?

stillhouse
01-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Here's two examples of what I mean, re: knowing where you are: (1) Steve Earle show this year at Count Basie theater in Red Bank, NJ (formerly Carlton theater--site of six shows in 1975 to kick off Springsteen's Born to Run tour-very similar to the Keswick in fact). SE commented on several of the businesses in town and some other local sites, which immediately established a connection with the audience and, in my opinion, enhanced the show and the experience. It simply allowed that SE had gotten off the bus and took a look around. Hey, to the people who live there, it isn't pedantic; it's their town, their home. In contrast, Natalie Merchant at the State Theater in New Brunswick, NJ, blurts out "I have no idea where we are; what town are we in?" Talk about off-putting. You could feel the tension in the room after her comment. She then went on to put on one whale of a lousy show.

takemewithyou
01-27-2004, 09:43 AM
From an interview with Paul Westerberg circa 1993...

Are you ready for the wear and tear of a tour now? You've been inside for two years.

I woke up this morning, and I didn't know where I was. It's only been two days, and I already don't know where I am. We used to play a game with the Mats on the bus, and it would be really quiet, and all the sudden you'd point at someone and yell, "Month, day, city, year!" And people would be like "February, Philadelphia, '92." and it was like March 3rd, '91. And it was serious.

stillhouse
01-27-2004, 03:02 PM
That's a great quote; I can only imagine that going from town to town, day after day, especially in the winter can get real old, real fast and pretty numbing. Of course, the fact that the Mats were hammered most of the time probably didn't help their mental acuity much.

mystic_spiral_3
01-28-2004, 12:16 AM
I am reminded of the Simpsons episode where Spinal Tap comes to Springfield. And I think they say "Hello....(flips guitar over and checks sticker)...Springfield!"

Affable Wench
01-31-2004, 06:44 PM
A week later and I still haven't recovered from the concert at the Keswick last week.

Front row seats... right at the center of the stage! F*A*N*T*A*S*T*I*C!!!

I've been a Jayhawks fan for a long time and I have to say that I think this combination of voices and musicianship is the best yet - talent everywhere!

Who complained about too many runs?? How can you ever have too much of ANYTHING from the Jayhawks??? Besides, it gave us time to enjoy the bass runs, too! TOO good to miss! Thank you, Marc!

There were so many moments when the energy of all four musicians carried the rest of us along in that incredible swell of
musical freedom that makes everyone in the building, "one".

Loved it! I'm a fan for life! NEXT time... I'll have to find a way to stay and "meet the band".

Still smilin'
j :D