PDA

View Full Version : 1/22 Town Hall Setlist

smilin'
01-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Wonderful show. Everybody seemed rested, relaxed and happy. Given the setlists from the last few days, no surprises there. The big surprise was that Kraig played about half the songs with the band.

Stumbling Through the Dark
Angelyne
Jennnifer Save Me
Nevada, California
Real Light (KJ)
Think About It (KJ)
Queen of the World (KJ)
A Break in the Clouds (KJ)
TaMpa to Tulsa
Fools on Parade
Wichita
Blue (KJ)
ATRR
SIFARD
Save Me From Myself
Bottomless Cup
WFTS (KJ)
Baby, Baby, Baby (KJ)

SDLR
The Baltimore Sun
I'd Run Away
Tailspin (KJ)
Sister Cry

KJ - Kraig Johnson joined for these songs.

Color to follow. Time for bed. Goodnight!

drunktodream
01-23-2004, 12:05 AM
I was pretty disappointed tonight. The crowd was flat and the song selection was less than reaching. The venue was perfect but it just didn't click.:(

Lenno
01-23-2004, 05:41 AM
i thought the show was great. a lot of surprises! afterwards, i waited until the security guys left and hurried backstage. Met Marc and Gary, that was nice!
And i can tell you that they will be playing Pray for Me tonight!!

Gary also remarked during the show that there will be no US tours for some time now! He said they were taking a break...
they will be only going to sweden and spain (no Holland!)

These dates were originally not the plan, but they were talked into doing the shows.

so, great setlist and show; more to come tonite.
I took some pictures and will be posting them when I get back home.

eric, chris & girls, glenn : nice meeting you and see you tonite!

jcnblues
01-23-2004, 06:21 AM
I Agree this was excellent show.

smilin'
01-23-2004, 06:28 AM
1) Josh Rouse - a nice warmup act. Did exactly that, got us ready for the Jayhawks.
2) Gary's voice - rested, clear as a bell.
3) Kraig's participation (has he been at the other shows?). He adds depth to the songs he joins (esp. the Smile songs). Gary also seems to draw energy from Kraig.
4) Bringing my daughters.....Probably the best parts for me....watching my "too cool to smile" eleven-year-old's eyes get as big as saucers when the Jayhawks took the stage....singing Angelyne with my nine-year-old.
5) It was great to meet several board colleagues (Lenno, Ericcd, NY Fan, larchstor).
6) Songs I especially enjoyed: Jennifer Save Me; Real Light; Queen of the World and The Baltimore Sun.

I did not think that the band was flat at all (playing to a sold out Town Hall). Crowd was a bit subdued (seated), but that's the nature of the venue. It was a nice contrast to the rowdy FA environment for the December shows. I like both atmospheres.

ericcd
01-23-2004, 07:14 AM
I agree completely with Smilin'. Town Hall is a conservative venue, but even so, the crowd got to its feet several times. The band has never sounded better. I thought it was the best Jayhawks show I have ever seen (even if they didn't play Broken Harpoon). I especially liked the extended intro to "Waiting for the Sun"...and I especially disliked the guy behind me who screamed "WHOOOO" after every measure...! Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I like the band too, but chill the f*** out!

nutshell
01-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Well, I had a bit of a different experience last night. Too complicated to explain, but I had no tickets for last night. Finally managed to get my dearest friend ( who was not a hawks fan, but is starting to like them now!) to run to the city with me last minute. We arrived at about 9. I thought, no problem, we'll find some extra tickets SOMEHOW. Scalper was all over us, but the venue guys said there were a lot of counterfeit tickets, so we held off, looking for regular people who had extras. NO LUCK! So, the intermission ended, the Jayhawks came on, and we were out on the street! The security guy let us listen in the cold down the alleyway, and let me tell you. Even out on the street they sounded wonderful. While my friend and the guy chatted, I leaned my head on the gate, and just smiled:) When they played Jennifer save me, I almost cried...sounded so good, wished I was in there! We kept waiting around, listening, and hoping for some last minute tickets. The other guy there had the special guest list tickets, he had 20 or so left halfway through the show, and I kept thinking,...where are these people???? Finally, two people were leaving, and we asked them for their stubs...Hooray! We got in, and it felt electric to me! The sound was beautiful, and the audience to me seemed really into it, and I know we were. The guys looked happy, played as well as I have ever seen. Baltimore Sun was a real highlight, and Sister Cry too. Thanks to whomever talked them into this tour. What a treat! Tonight we go back, and I actually HAVE tickets! Imagine that! Now, anyone have extras for Keswick?;)

UWS Fan
01-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Yeah, it was a great show. Town Hall is Town Hall. You're not going to get a rowdy crowd there. But, you will get very good acoustics, which I think is what we got last night.

For me, their were several high points, esp. hearing tunes I never heard them do before, i.e. Save Me From Myself, Nevada, Baltimore Sun. James Mastro and Kraig playing on a lot of songs was a nice treat, too.

Gary's comment about not coming back for a while.......that was actually OK with me. That meant just that.....that they're gonna be back. No more rumors about the end of the line.

All in all, a fine night was had at Town Hall. The band was in great form and the audience was very appreciative.

ohwellokay
01-23-2004, 08:15 AM
the show was incredible - it was weird being in seats, but the good part was everyone shut the f up. when they play the bowery and irving plaza people yap throughout the entire show. it was nice to sit and really listen. For the person who complained about the setlist, i thought just the OPPOSITE. I've seen them about a dozen times now on various tours and I thought this was the setlist that was most balanced with songs from all different albums, and nuggets i have never heard live before, plus kraig jonson - just incredible. They seem to get better everytime i see them - really nice mix last night of hard-rocking electric and beautiful acoustic....

NY Fan
01-23-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm not going to repeat what's been said before, except to chime in on a few things:

- Town Hall: Great acoustics, but yes, a place that doesn't make you want to stand up. Did the band rock out anyway? YES.

- Fanpage: Really fun to see Eric, Lenno, and Chris. Hope to meet up again tonight.

- Setlist: Excellent, except this wasn't a 2hr+ show, and Gary implied more than once that this was out of their hands: "We're watching the clock tonight..."; "Don't want to break any laws..." Etc. Either Town Hall has a policy, or the theater district, or the union, but something was determining when the show would end, and it wasn't the band.
But what we heard was great, and I'm sure we'll get a very different set tonight. Gary said a few times that he expects many of us back tonight.

- "Taking time off": That's what he said, and I hope he means time off rather than an end to the band.

- Kraig J. Johnson: What a great surprise! I love Kraig -- he was playing a black DeArmond hollowbody with a Bigsby -- and he just has fun, and Gary seems to have fun when he's around.
Same goes for my buddy James Mastro, who played an accordion with a message taped to it: "This Machine Kills Fashion"! Woody Guthrie/Billy Bragg fans will get this joke, and James' twist on it for the uncoolest instrument in the world had me cracking up...

- GEAR: Well, he had a Matchless -- not a Vox, not a Savage. I'm not sure if it was his old Matchless (which I heard died) or a new one, but it was a Matchless. Other notes on gear:
* Pedals: Fuzz Face, Boss Tuner, Fulldrive -- blue this time, not the old silver one -- MXR Phase 90, a wah (couldn't see if it was the Buddha, but I don't think it was), an original grey Univox Super-Fuzz, and a Mystery Pedal! Blue, about the size of an MXR, with one switch. I'm going to try to see what it is tonight.
* Guitars: SG (which sounds better than ever), the Rickenbacker (which Stephen played on one track, too), the Flying V (on Think About It, I believe)!
* My wife commented that Gary was really "feeling it" last night. I think he's very happy with his tone right now, and that has him playing better. He was just stunning last night, especially on electric.

Now, if he'd only do his Jimmy Page You Look So Young solo tonight!!!...

-- GM

UWS Fan
01-23-2004, 11:01 AM
NY Fan, I pm'ed you.

dsh5p
01-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Gary also said "we won't be back for a while" at the DC show. He didn't sound very forlorn, however -- seemed like he was just saying that they'd be taking the normal break after supporting a record. I'm optimistic that they're not done yet. What does everyone else think?

smilin'
01-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Gary specifically referred to needing a "break" last night. He also alluded to being "talked into" this mini tour. Think about how much touring they did in '03. I can see why they may want to spend more time at home. Does anyone think that a new album is a possibility in 9 18 months??

mickh
01-23-2004, 03:06 PM
We enjoyed the show so much -- of the four shows in NYC these past few months, this was the best... The boys were calm and tight and even Marc smiled from time to time. Great to see Kraig -- a real nice add-in and Steven was amazing on the pedal steel...

Real nice to see our good friend Nutshell after the show in the garage. Hope you got home safe and enjoy Friday nite's show.

UWS Fan
01-23-2004, 03:13 PM
By the way, who was the guy, about Row G in the center, who was having so much fun last night (standing up a lot, cool looking hat). Is he someone from the fanpage? Are you the fellow that Gary was referring to when he looked out and asked just prior too WFTS "We're you the guy heckling me the last time we were in town and you saw me in the movie theater?"

ChiefCrowe
01-23-2004, 04:38 PM
BOOYA!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the reviews everyone

Anodyne
01-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Wow, thanks for the great stories all you fellow fans. It seems like you all have had the same experience I did in Lancaster last Sunday. Is it just me or are the Jayhawks getting better than even before?! I'm so surprised this was a tour they felt forced into. They are kicking ass. They do need a break from touring, and I hope when they come back they play more theatre dates. Right now, I'm heartbroken because I can't go to the Keswick show tomorrow due to prior reasons. :(

jmmsal
01-25-2004, 07:51 PM
took my 9 year to show. it was great watching her sing along. thought the show was a lot better than one i saw at irving plaza. i really enjoyed this show. still feel that this is the best band no one has really heard of.