PDA

View Full Version : First Ave. - 12/20 - night 2

sacred roots
12-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Night two of the madness continues...

33 songs. Again. 2-1/2 hours. Again. A fan could kinda get used to this! :)

[EDIT] Cripes! I forgot they did a picture-perfect version of "Expecting to Fly" somtime later in the main set. Especially embarassing since i'm the biggest Neil Young fan on my block!

Another fine evening. Everybody seemed in good spirits and the wonderful music just kept a-flowin'.

Random thoughts:

* By my reckonin', 13 songs were played Saturday that weren't played Friday (not counting the aborted "Fools on Parade" from Friday). That's 45 songs in two nights! Gary said last night that they were going to continue to break out more songs; he evidently isn't kidding.

*The choir was a bit more audible -- and effective -- last night.

* Karen's upright was replaced with an electronic kybd. Although the piano sounded fine in the house on Friday, my guess is that it didn't work out right for the multi track recording that is being done at these shows, hence the replacement.

* The slower, sadder, quieter version of "Settled Down Like Rain" with Steven picking away on the banjo is just breathtakingly good. One of the major highlights both nights.

* More new SOL highlights. "Bottomless Cup," "Sound of Lies," and even "Poor Little Fish," which came off really well after a false start. That's what trying to rehearse 60+ songs in a week will get ya. They've already played over half of the album -- let's see what tonight will bring.

* "Broken Harpoon" and "Sound of Lies" -- Gary at his most beautiful, to borrow a phrase from R.E.M.

* The rarely played "Caught With a Smile on My Face" (from the RDM bonus disc) was another surprise for the faithful.

* "Red's Song," "Nevada, CA" and "The Baltimore Sun" were all played again, providing some of the biggest thrills of the night for long-time fans.

* They did "I Am the Cosmos" (an excellent post-Big Star 45 from Chris Bell) at soundcheck, which resulted in a magnificent version during the 2nd encore, complete with Jim Boquist on lead guitar and bg vox. Don't think i've heard them do this since 97 (Taste of MN perhaps?).

* 3 more songs from RDM made their bow last night -- "You Look So Young," "Sarajane," and "All the Right Reasons" -- and all sounded just swell, especially ATRR.

* After an aborted effort on Friday, "Fools on Parade" -- Gary's best bigdumbrocker since "Get the Load Out" -- closed out the night, rocking like crazy, kicking ass and taking numbers.

Jayhawks
First Ave. - Mpls - 12/20/03

1. Stumbling Through the Dark
2. Angelyne
3. Jennifer Save Me (Kraig = electric gtr / Jessy)
4. Clouds
5. Two Hearts (Kraig = acoustic gtr / Jessy)
6. You Look So Young
7. Life Floats By
8. Save It For a Rainy Day
9. Broken Harpoon
10. Caught With a Smile on My Face
11. Queen of the World (Kraig = el gtr)
12. Think About It (Kraig = el gtr / Jessy)
13. Eyes of Sarajane
14. Red's Song
15. Waiting For the Sun (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
16. Poor Little Fish (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
17. All the Right Reasons
18. Expecting to Fly (somewhere in here)
19. Tampa to Tulsa
20. Bottomless Cup (Jessy)
21. Smile (Kraig = el gtr / choir)
22. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (Kraig = ac gtr / choir)
23. I'd Run Away (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
24. Blue (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)

ENCORE 1
25. Settled Down Like Rain [banjo version]
26. The Baltimore Sun
27. Sound of Lies (Jessy)
28. Nevada, CA
29. Tailspin (Kraig = ac gtr)
30. Sister Cry

ENCORE 2
31. Ode to Billy Joe (Kraig = el gtr / Jessy / Gary = bass / Marc = ac gtr / Karen = lead vox)
32. I Am the Cosmos (Jim Boquist = lead gtr & bg vox)
33. Fools on Parade

One more night...

Lenno
12-21-2003, 01:42 PM
sjeeez....what kind of live-album is this gonna be? A triple one I hope!!! They are giving all out, great !

muskytoes
12-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Stuff up the cracks
Brutal, Brutal Show
Ohh It hurts something fierce

How Cool was Fools on Parade???
I mean really....
I never thought I would feel so proud to be a Jayhawks Fan
Thanks Gary
The kids love your harmonica

jrwill59
12-21-2003, 07:23 PM
What the hell happened to ya musky? When I talked to you at 4:00 Sat. afternoon, you were all jacked-up to hear Fools on Parade! Nothing other than a simple case of side-tracked I hope. Oh well, I think Saturday rocked even more than Friday, if that is even possible? BTW, Fools On Parade almost blew the f#*@ing roof off!!!! Sorry you missed it:(

muskytoes
12-22-2003, 06:31 AM
Hey jrwill59,
We walked in during Angelyne
I was 'looking for you' all night
ended up in the pit for encores
pretty sure I spilled on redfirecracker
the place was just too packed
failed to linger and smooze after show
sorry we didn't meet

brotherzilge
12-22-2003, 09:20 AM
A friend of mine went with. He knows very little of the Jayhawks and has never been to First Ave.

He loved it ( as did I of course ). At one point he looked at his watch and they had been playing for about 1 and 45 minutes. He couldn't believe it. The show was so good we both thought they had only been up there for about 45 minutes.

We only had one problem. We had a bunch of drunk St. Johns alums behind us. They had been drinking since 9:00 a.m. and continued drinking celebrating SJU's national championship. The one moron was talking so damn loud that was about all you could hear. I thought it couldn't get any worse...and then it did. When they started in on the chorus of Angelyne, he decided to sing at the top of his lungs off key, off time and off of his mind.

After about 4 songs of this we moved back behind them and it was great. Until he moved back with his friends during the 2nd chorus. Luckily he had lost some of his wind by then.

Besides that, the sound and song selection was incredible. They played 33 songs and I still wanted more ( Nothing Left to Borrow, Until You Came along, Revolution Blues... ).

norma023
12-22-2003, 09:24 AM
yeah, I missed you too on Sat Musky!! Had all kinds of people asking me where you were....! :p

All in all, saw 2 great concerts (didn't see Sun), and what can one say -- shows 2.5 hours long, over 30 songs played each night, heard some songs that I haven't seen/heard them play since the '95 tour and not since the '97 tour!

BIG thanks to Gary and the band for such excellent concerts. Please keep it up if you can!!

Ordinarygirl
12-22-2003, 10:27 AM
That's how I would describe it. I felt just blissful for 2 1/2 hours, like I'd been transported to some other plane where the music cures whatever ails you.

The first encore was magical. The soft & gentle version of Settled was a thing of beauty, and then when they went into the opening notes to Baltimore Sun I was literally jumping up and down I was so happy. (the banjo was way cool) Then on to SOL, Nevada, Tailspin, & Sister Cry, what more could you want?

I agree with something I read in some other thread -- it was about Gary taking his craft seriously. They were absolutely perfect, the attention to detail, just flawless execution. Gary can convey so much emotion through his music. I don't know how they can keep up that level on intensity for so long.

My only regret was that I could only go to the one show! Sure I would've loved to hear some of the things I missed on Fri & Sun (NLTB, Will I see you in heaven, Until you came along!!) but I'm not complaining. I respect the heck out of a band that is so confident in their own catalog that they can vary the setlist that much over 3 nites.

HEY GUYS, PLEASE MAKE IT A DOUBLE LIVE CD... we'll buy it. We all loved the Womens Club but we know you could've filled a second cd, so give us TWO this time. Then you can take a nice vacation. Kick back, rest up, relax, until your fingers get itchy and you'll have to start writing all those new songs that are running around in your head and the next thing you know there's a new Jayhawks album, new tour dates... Okay, I realize I'm insatiable.

P.S. They were selling the KJJ cd... been listening to it all weekend!

muskytoes
12-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Dead Shows are around 3 hours of music
That's with a set break
So a complete show would take 3 CD's
The only Rub is that the film crew we're changing tapes in the middle of some songs.
So the chances that we'll get 1 complete show out of this is highly unlikely (IMHO).
What I imagine them doing is a mixed bag over the three nights, for the bulk of the show.
They had better run the encore's as complete as possible, esp. the first night since Perlman only sang that night.

hellaciousc
12-22-2003, 12:36 PM
holy crap! those shows sound amazing. minnesota is too cold for me to wish that i lived there, but when i hear about things like this, sometimes it seems it would be worthwhile.

what is the "KJJ cd" by the way?

Ordinarygirl
12-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Kraig Jarrett Johnson - former Jayhawk and current leader of Kraig and the Program.

hellaciousc
12-22-2003, 01:58 PM
ahhh yes. duh. thanks.

i totally know who Kraig is by the way. I'm a long time Jayhawks and Golden Smog fan who just now discovered this board.

rhythm
12-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Sounds Fantastic!!

A question: How was Karen enjoying things?? Did Gary give her much mention? I assume she looked the same as always.

smilin'
12-22-2003, 02:28 PM
It was my first time seeing her on stage so it is hard for me to say relative to the old days. Gary gave her lots of praise both nights especially Saturday. Her Ode to Billy Joe was VERY warmly received by the FA fans both Friday and Saturday. She certainly seemed very comfortable up there and played almost every song. Plenty of smiles and waves to the crowd.

blueamy
12-22-2003, 06:59 PM
I was fortunate enough to have Karen sign something for me on Friday night, so while she was signing for me, I told her that I had never seen her perform with the band and that I thought she was wonderful with them. I thanked her for coming and playing the holiday shows. She said that she was glad to be there and having a great time. She seemed like an extremely nice person. So that's my little bit of input...
~blueamy

jrwill59
12-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Nice to meet you norma23! I was one of the babblers seeking out the elusive musky. Didn't find him, but finding my own shoes on my own feet may have taken me weeks? Those shows were inf*^(ingcredible! I have worn out my tape of Breakfast With The Arts, this live cd\dvd? needs to come out quickly! I don't think I can afford trips all over the east coast to keep me in a state of suspended "hawk-topia"!:cool: :D

illbecominhome
12-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Ok, so were there film crew during the shows? So... we'll finally get a DVD????? Oh kiddies that could be glorious!!!!!!!!!!

norma023
12-29-2003, 10:09 AM
yes, there were ppl filming the show, with a (what looked like) a Hi-8 recorder set up on a tripod at the soundboard.

And as far as something from these shows coming out on DVD (or video), that'd be Fantastic!!

However, I do remember the 12/02 Jayhawks 1st Ave shows also being video taped (with professional boom arms swinging the crowds heads), but not a mention of anything/anywhere of those coming out for release...... :(

note to band: Please release this stuff, if you make it, we will buy it!!

illbecominhome
12-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Thaanks for the info Todd! Those are great news!!! Hope they finally release that material for us to enjoy!