PDA

View Full Version : First Ave 12/19

smilin'
12-20-2003, 07:44 AM
My first First Ave. show. Better than I expected, way better. The band was loose and in a great mood. They played songs I haven't seen on recent setlists. The audience was great, totally into the show. Here are my highlights (sorry, I can't come up with an accurate setlist, but I was too absorbed in the moment).
- 30 (my count) songs. I may be one or two light.
- a happy, smiling Marc.
- Karen and Kraig for almost every song.
- Gary in a playful and relaxed demeanor.
- Deep into the catalog with: Until You Came Along; Red's Song; Nevada, California; Ode to Billy Joe; You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (with Marc as frontman, big acoustic guitar and on the vocals); Lights; Stick in the Mud; Real Light; Baltimore Sun; It's Up to You.

I can't wait for tonight's show.:D

sacred roots
12-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Jesus, Mary & Joseph, that was one hell of a "holiday special" show! And "special" doesn't begin to cover it all. The scary thing is that they may very well get better in the coming nights since a big production like this tends to improve with age, just like a good red wine.

I didn't take any notes, prefrerring to "enjoy the moment" as much as possible. Here's a rough transcript of the "official" setlist I grabbed after the show. Pretty sure this is accurate, although i'm still pretty foggy this AM.

Highlights were numerous. I especially enjoyed hearing all of the "Sound of Lies" material done so nicely. And the Charlie Rich cover ("Life's Little Ups and Downs") made a very welcome return to the setlist -- one of Tim's best ever vocals IMO. And Marc's turn at center stage doing a reading from the Basement Tapes. And seeing Karen playing and singing and smiling just like she never left. And...OK, i'll shut up now. :)

Jayhawks - 12/19/03 - First Ave.

"Guests" noted where applicable. Karen played piano / keyboards & sang BG vox on virtually every song IIRC.

1. Stumbling Through the Dark
2. Angelyne
3. What Led Me to This Town (Kraig = electric gtr)
4. Take Me With You When You Go (Kraig = acoustic gtr)
5. Real Light (Kraig = el gtr)
6. NLTB (Kraig = el gtr / Jessy)
7. The Man Who Loved Life (Kraig = el gtr / Jessy)
8. Save It For a Rainy Day
9. Tampa to Tulsa
10. Jennifer Save Me (Kraig = el gtr / Jessy)
11. It's Up To You (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
12. Waiting For the Sun (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
13. Stick in the Mud (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
14. Queen of the World (Kraig = el gtr)
15. Smile (Kraig = el gtr / choir)
16. Lights
17. Will I See You In Heaven
18. Break in the Clouds (Kraig = el gtr)
19. Life's Little Ups and Downs (Kraig = el gtr)
20. I'd Run Away (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
21. Blue (Kraig = ac gtr / Jessy)
22. Nevada, California
23. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (Kraig = ac gtr / choir)

ENCORE 1
24. Settled Down Like Rain
25. The Baltimore Sun
26. Red's Song
27. Think About It (Kraig = el gtr / Jessy)
28. Tailspin (Kraig = ac gtr)
29. Sister Cry

ENCORE 2
30. Ode To Billy Joe (Karen = lead vox / Kraig = el gtr / Jessy / Gary = bass / Marc = ac gtr)
31. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Marc = lead vox, ac gtr / Gary = bass)
32. Fools on Parade [aborted]
33. Until You Came Along (Kraig = el gtr / Jim Boquist = ac gtr, bg vox)

Over 2.5 hours! :eek: Yikes, no wonder i'm so trashed today!

See y'all tonight!

nationaljoe
12-20-2003, 12:31 PM
wow...for your first experience at first avenue, what a night to show up!!!

i couldn't possibly imagine any better occasion to make your inaugural visit...complete with karen on piano, jessy, kraig, jim boquist, and the choir...wow, what a show!!!

(man, was i drunk)

*cheers*

muskytoes
12-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Badda Bing Ding Ding
Show was off the NUTT
Way Way Out there

So How did I end up with one of Gary's Harmonica's???
Can't wait till tonite
They teased "FOOLS ON PARADE"
Hope they play it tonite

14 Minute Drive From Bryn Mayr
Left a half a pack of smokes in the car....

Glacier65
12-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Why would anyone get drunk for these shows? Keep a cool buzz and enjoy it!

Haggischomper
12-20-2003, 02:35 PM
HOT DAMN! You lucky, lucky, LUCKY Bastards!

muskytoes
12-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Yeah it was so NUTTIN cool to have Tim singing all the bits on Lights and Nevada...
Tampa was perfect placement in the set
Life's Little Ups is my Favorite
I'm a Huge Charlie Rich fan
The rub is that you didn't know when or if they we're gonna end the show
Every song had a big big push at the end
I'd Run Away way Stellar
Waiting For The Sun was the best version I've heard
Way Way Off in Wah Wah Land

You know I used to consider Gary my Jerry Garcia
An ensamble player who could stand out on his own
Gifted Guitar Player with the ability to play it Sweet sometimes
But after watching him last night
I know he takes his craft a bit more serious than Jerry did

He plays with the accuracy and intensity of Zappa on that Ol' SG
His fingers placed perfectly, each note demands his percise attention.

Then there was the pedal steel solo
Gary sitting down (lol)
The Flying V

Jonathan
12-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Musky://////Yeah it was so NUTTIN cool to have Tim singing all the bits on Lights and Nevada...///////////

The only thing cooler would be to have Mark OLSON involved.

Glacier://///Why would anyone get drunk for these shows? Keep a cool buzz and enjoy it!////

Glacier: you are one smart guy, WHY GET DRUNK WHEN YOU'VE GOT THE HAWKS, STAY COOL, YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE 2 GET SMASHED TO ENJOY THE HAWKS.

NY Fan
12-20-2003, 10:27 PM
This is almost too depressing. What a show.

And as I write this, show 2 is happening right now...

Jealous doesn't come close to describing how this feels. Thank god they are taping and, hopefully, videotaping too. We need a real fan's 2 disc dvd of this stuff.

-- GM

ChiefCrowe
12-21-2003, 03:38 AM
god DAMN that rules!!!!!! i really need to make it out for a show there sometime..
thank god they are recording for a live album!!!

bwh
12-22-2003, 08:49 PM
did anyone feel gary was hinting it might be the last hurrah? he made a couple comments like cheer louder "this might be the last time" and "we'll miss you". They brought back kraig, karren & jessie, only about 3 songs off rainy, dug way deep, recorded it, were in a bit of a goofy mood, played longer than any show i've ever seen, an extra encore etc.

I hope i'm wrong but i had a bad feeling as soon as i heard that comment about "might be the last time"

what an awesome show though! the jayhawks at 1st ave- tough to beat!

CaffeineZombie
12-23-2003, 10:23 AM
was when Karen played that little piano passage that linked
"NLTB" to "The Man Who Loved Life". I thought I'd stepped into
a time machine and gone back to the Sept. 1998 First Ave shows!

hoozyerdadee
12-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by bwh
did anyone feel gary was hinting it might be the last hurrah? he made a couple comments like cheer louder "this might be the last time" and "we'll miss you". They brought back kraig, karren & jessie, only about 3 songs off rainy, dug way deep, recorded it, were in a bit of a goofy mood, played longer than any show i've ever seen, an extra encore etc.

I hope i'm wrong but i had a bad feeling as soon as i heard that comment about "might be the last time"

what an awesome show though! the jayhawks at 1st ave- tough to beat!

As I am reading through all the recent reviews and other recent threads about the future of the band, I think about how this appears like and jives with what Gary told LiladyK at the Mill last month. He wasn't really sure if they would be doing much more in the future.

I wasn't going to say anything before as I didn't want Kim to think I was eavesdropping on them and I know Gary reads some threads. But they were standing right in front of our booth and I was behind her and slightly to her left. (I didn't introduce myself to her until after they parted). I overheard portions of their conversation and I thought overall that it had a melancholy feel, like he was telling her goodbye or something. I don't know. And I have to say that I too thought I clearly heard him say "fans in minneapolis" at that point. It's not something I care to debate, I just thought he said it too.

Again, I want to say that I loved the F.A. show. It was the impressive show at the Mill that enticed me to make the trip up. I turned on another one of my buddys to this band. But now if the "show is over" for good that would be sad. But people do what they feel they need to do when they need to do it. I'm thankful that I got to see them twice. I'm new on this board but I want to wish all a happy holiday season.