PDA

View Full Version : Austin and Dallas

hilldog
11-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Back to back Jayhawks shows this weekend -- Friday in Austin and Saturday in Dallas. These are the 4th and 5th times I've seen the Jayhawks and these shows definitely had the best sets and sound. Gary was also more animated than I had ever previously seen him, in Austin in particular. From the start of the show with "We're the fucking Jayhawks...that translates into we're old" with his pseudo strip tease when they walked back on from the encore and his comment of "I think I just grossesd myself out," he was in wonderful form, mildly self-deprecating, but obviously having a good time. From the previous show I saw them at in Memphis on the 4th of July, they seem to have replaced Don't let the World Get in your way with Bottomless Cup (which Gary commented was one of his favorite Jayhawks songs) and didn't perform Eyes of Sarah Jane. Highlights from both shows included Golden Smog's Jennifer Save Me, Lights from the Sweet Relief benefit (I think Tim does a fine job replacing Mark Olsen's vocals), and a great jam session on the final song of the show, Sister Cry. At both shows, Gary dedicated All the Right Reasons to the late Elliot Smith. Oh, and some lucky girl showed up at sound check in Austin and got to sing back-up on Break in the Clouds at both shows. The Austin encore also included a stripped down version of Settled Down Like Rain, while the Dallas show incorporated another Hollywood Town Hall favorite, Crowded in the Wings. Someone threw a bra on stage in Dallas and Gary threw it at a Mark, who was paying no attention, and looked really surprised. As always, it is pleasant realizing what a mixed bag Jayhawks fans are.

durtybyrd
11-16-2003, 07:25 PM
I saw them last night in Dallas and it was my first time seeing them.It damn sure won't be my last.I was really impressed with the sadies also.

Peace
Benny

JayB
11-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Hey benny, glad you enjoyed them!! I knew you would! :D

Moondancer
11-17-2003, 10:08 AM
...just as long as Gary doesn't come out in a garter belt...not that there's anything WRONG with that...

Who's opening for them on the next tour? Tom Jones?

bradley
11-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Yes the Austin show was great! I saw them the last time they came through Dallas and it was a good show, but Gary was really on Friday in Austin. Hilldog didn't mention Charlie Sexton sitting in on one tune. Does anybody remember what tune that was? He nailed it of coarse. The surprise sound check girl really did a great job too!
The Dallas paper didn't do the show justice on it's review if that show was anything like the Austin show.

I got to go to another show on this tour. The libations blurred the latter part of the show for me ;(

Moondancer
11-17-2003, 01:26 PM
"Oh, and some lucky girl showed up at sound check in Austin and got to sing back-up on Break in the Clouds at both shows."

Man. I am so jealous. I'm an aspiring cowbell player. There just doesn't seem to be room in the Jayhawks for an aspiring cowbell player :(

hilldog
11-17-2003, 04:02 PM
I think the Charlie Sexton song was Waiting for the Sun but I'm not positive on that one.

bradley
11-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Or was it Sister Cry?

hilldog
11-18-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm sure it wasn't Sister Cry because that was the very last song they did. I'm pretty sure it was a song off Hollywood Town Hall though. Can any other Austin goers help us out?

Singularity
11-18-2003, 05:06 PM
....it was Waiting for the Sun. I was a little surprised, because previous tours, Gary played that solo and acoustic. They also played the intro about 8 times because Gary and Charlie did the dueling guitar solo thing for a while before the vocals started.

bradley
11-19-2003, 10:40 AM
I think you're right on Singularity!

Ladykiersa
12-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the Austin or Dallas show?

You guys are right, the Dallas paper didn't show any love to the Jayhawks.