PDA

View Full Version : The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music review

Bhickman
11-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi all, just came on here to provide a link to a review I wrote about the latest Jayhawks album Rainy Day Music.

The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music (http://www.staticmultimedia.com/cd_jayhawks.asp)

Thanks for reading!

smilin'
11-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't agree with yours when it comes to the Jayhawks and RDM. I think that RDM demonstrates continued evolution for the band. I love their old stuff, but I like RDM quite a bit. But I don't begrudge you your view.

It is a shame that your review is up on the web, because it might influence somebody not to buy the CD (and that hurts the band). I am heartened by the hope that most of the 'Hawks target audience (graduated high school) will be discounting your review hard after your opening sentance (hackneyed baseball metaphor).

Good luck with your writing career, anyway. I am sure that it is tough sledding out there. It takes huevos to be critically honest in a public forum. I am hoping to read some of your other work, but the links in your website weren't letting me through. I enjoy many of the artists you reviewed. For what it is worth, I am with you on UT, Wilco and Jay Ferrar.

Fellow Posters: Brett's Homepage can be accessed through the following link.

http://www.bretthickman.com/music.html

Bhickman
11-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, the site is close to closing. The sites I've written for have either shut down temporarily or have dispensed with content from a certain time.

I'm writing an essay for a book due out next year. It's on the band Television.

Check out this site: Static (http://www.staticmultimedia.com) for new stuff of mine. I have album reviews of Whirlwind Heat, Britta Phillips & Dean Wareham; a feature on the Dandy Warhols; live reviews of Interpol, Jay Farrar and Stratford 4.

Thanks again.

Bhickman
11-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah...the baseball thing was my Editor, not me. Seriously.

smilin'
11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
You should put your reviews up on your own site if the defunct site owners let you. I would love to read your review of Jesse Malin's album.

PS - Editors!!

Bhickman
11-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Jesse Malin interview (http://www.staticmultimedia.com/music_jessemalin.asp)

I'd have to copy and paste my word document at home here or message you with it.

smilin'
11-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Enjoyed the interview. Thanks for sending it. Did you get much feedback on this one? I have a soft spot for BBQ natives (being from the Bronx myself).

NY Fan
11-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Putting aside the (many) points I don't agree with in this review, I'll just say that the "high energy" of Take It Easy was, I believe, Bolivian marching powder.

Oh -- I think Tim's voice is a gift.

-- GM

JPM
11-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Rainy Day Music, track 1 to 6 are all great, but then the middle part comes along and it nearly kills the album.

Tim's song (track 7) is pretty awful, it just doesn't fit with rest of the album, Come to the River is very average, then up comes Angelyne and nearly saves the middle part of the album. Madman is not a bad song, but it's got Crosby, Stills, Nash feel to it and I don't think it works. The rest of the album is O.K. but it's not great.

I suppose any album featuring Gary Louris you have to appreciate but by his own very high standards, side 2 of RDM isn't that strong, with the exeption of the fantastic Angelyne.

GuitarMatt
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
It sounds to me like Bhickman turned on RDM with the expectation that it was going to be mediocre and just listened to each song pondering what's wrong with it instead of what's good about it. To me, this seems to be the problem with most critics. Too many expectations & biases and not enough open-mindedness.

And I love Tim's contributions. "Don't Let The World Get In Your Way" is the song that turned me on to the Jayhawks and I think that other people my age (21) or younger would've latched on to this song as a single more than any other song on the album--despite how how great all the other tracks are.

greekguy
11-12-2003, 12:10 PM
Isn't Tim the Drummer? Call me crazy.

houstonfan
11-14-2003, 01:05 PM
This isn't a terribly fair review of RDM, and doesn't seem to have a real grasp of either the band's history or its importance. But I have to say that what's really bothersome is the attack on Tim. Live, his songs are real standouts -- mostly because the vocals are such a distinct counterpoint to Gary's. He has both an earnestness and a weariness in his songs that, maybe, only older (even someone as shockingly elderly as me, at 40) fans can identify with. For sure, "Bottomless Cup" (from Sound of Lies) is about as perfect and beautiful a song as you could hope for. On RDM, "Tampa to Tulsa" gets better with each listen, particular the acoustic extra version. Go, Tim!

Marc
11-18-2003, 07:53 PM
How the hell can you possibly say that Tim's songs are bad ?

They are jewels in that CD... And that's what most of the people who listened to that record, and who didn't know the Jayhawks at all, said !!!!

Man, that's foolish, I have to say it straight...

I don't like this review.

If there are french-speaking people on this web-site, check my review:

http://www.campushec.com/home/index.php?ct=art&id=49

It's from the site of my french business school...

Glacier65
11-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Brett - really nice review. I have my own review up on the main page if you are interested. It's quite detailed.

I agree this is a mediocre album that takes few, if any chances.
However, I feel that Tampa to Tulsa is a good song. I do agree that Don't Let the World is really bad.

Madman, Come to the River , You look so Young, and One Man's problem are probably the worst Jayhawks songs there are. They may even eclipse Dying on the Vine and Baby,Baby,Baby.

Also, All the Right Reasons has not aged well with me. I can't put a finger on it yet.

Good review.

Tvin
11-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Maybe I'm the exception, but considering that I'm too young to appreciate the band's legacy, I still enjoy RDM in its entirety. Granted that the first half of the CD, namely Tailspin, was initially more appealing to me, the rest became progressively better with each listen. Sure, Madman, One Man's Problem, and Tampa to Tulsa lack the flare of the catchier tunes, but that shouldn't discredit their value. These songs bear a certain quality that is largely absent in what I hear today; a meekness that requires the right environment to shine.

That said, Angelyne remains my favorite song on the CD to hear and to play.

Glacier65
11-22-2003, 06:26 PM
You have some good points Tvin.

While I dont care for the CD, im glad it's attracting new fans who can explore the jayhawks masterpieces.

frankseven
11-28-2003, 11:00 PM
B]I suppose any album featuring Gary Louris you have to appreciate but by his own very high standards, side 2 of RDM isn't that strong, with the exeption of the fantastic Angelyne.[/B]

This is exactly the problem I have with record reviewers/critics. Why do they continue to review and grade records or songs compared to other records/songs of the same artist. Of Course artists have worse songs, they also have better songs, and it is all subjective. So do we have a Jayhawks record scoring system now in place.

Marc
12-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by frankseven
B]I suppose any album featuring Gary Louris you have to appreciate but by his own very high standards, side 2 of RDM isn't that strong, with the exeption of the fantastic Angelyne.

This is exactly the problem I have with record reviewers/critics. Why do they continue to review and grade records or songs compared to other records/songs of the same artist. Of Course artists have worse songs, they also have better songs, and it is all subjective. So do we have a Jayhawks record scoring system now in place. [/B]

Yep, agree... Reviewers think music as being a constant research for new styles and new things and new arrangements and new... And when a band is good but known,,, it is shit...

I hate most reviews, that is why I write my own... I hate The Raveonettes even if it is new and revolutionnary because it has nothing in it... that is the real point... You seize the atmosphere of RDM when you listen to the record, you know in which mood it was recorded, that's the most important in music... feelings... not creativity...

Tvin
12-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Well, I'll go so far as to say that even in RDM, the Jayhawks demonstrate feelings as well as creativity. Instead of dividing the music up into small parcels and examining each record individually, I believe that we can look at the entirety of the Jayhawks music and see that its clearly original and creative compared to its peers and RDM is just another, slightly different, piece of the puzzle.

cgarrity
12-12-2003, 01:59 AM
I have to disagree with your review. I'm a huge fan of the band. I absolutely love RDM. Sure, there are a couple of songs I don't care for, but I LOVE most of the album. I think songs like Tailspin, Tampa to Tulsa, Will I See You in Heaven, All the Right Reasons and a few others are as good as anything they've ever done.

I can't wait to see them next week at 1st Avenue. It's been far too long since my last show. I did get to see Gary when he joined Chris Robinson's band for a song to open the latest Gov't Mule show in Minneapolis.