PDA

View Full Version : Portland, ME 10/8 Show

krtman
10-09-2003, 08:26 AM
As I posted under the general board, Jayhawks were playing warmup for Lucinda Williams. They played for about 70 minutes, not to bad for warmup! I am not one to prepare set lists, so you will have to bear with me, I may not have it exactly right:

All the Right Reasons
Tailspin
Waiting for the Sun
Take Me With You
Better Days
Save it For a Rainy Day
Tampa To Tulsa
Sixteen Down (unbelievable version!!!)
Haywire
Stumbling through the Dark
Blue
Sister Cry (10 minute jam version)
Angelyne

I think that was right...

Merrill Auditorium has perfect accoustics (they have symphonies and operas there) and we were second row balcony dead center.
I was pleased that there were many Jayhawks fans shouting and whistling. Much of the crowd clearly knew who they were listening to. Toward the end, Gary said that they would play another two songs or so and then Lucinda Williams, one of his favorites, blah, blah, blah... would come on. Some woman shouted "No hurry, keep playing!" Made me proud to be a Jayhawks fan.

I saw them three years ago and the band can still kick ass when the want to. I suspect the non-Jayhawks crowd were a bit confused when they went from a sweet version of Tampa to Tulsa to a wailing electric fuzzbox version of Sixteen Down. I love that song, its so dark, and I was really surprised they played it. Sister Cry was about 10 minutes long with some similarly Jimi Hendrix like guitar jams.

I left when they finished and gave my tickets to someone seated farther up in the balcony. Bought a Jayhawks t-shirt and was glad to see many others doing the same. One observation my wife and I had: are all Lucinda Williams fans so old? We're in our mid forties and there were a lot of people at least 10 years older. Kinda weird.

God, I love the Jayhawks. For some reason I felt a bit sad toward the end, thinking that perhaps I might not get a another chance to see them again. Sigh.

smilin'
10-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the review and setlist.

Hope you are way wrong about not seeing the 'Hawks play again. So they're not media icons like Eminem, seems like their following is growing and judging by RDM and the reviews of this tour: They still got it!!

citygirl
10-10-2003, 08:23 PM
I was at the Portland show and I agree, it was great!

I tried to write down the set list (not very legibly), and I've got the same as krtman, with one addition after Tampa to Tulsa, maybe "Waiting for the Sun"?

For those who stayed, Gary Louris joined Lucinda during her set on "Essence," and you could hear his voice on it a lot better live than on the CD.

You can add me to the growing following, although I went to the concert to hear Lucinda! So opening for her got the Jayhawks a new fan, and I'm glad I was able to hear them. The contrast with Lucinda made for a nice mix, and they both gave us a great show.

krtman
10-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Citygirl, today I was listening to Hollywood Town Hall and I realized that they played another song, I think it was Crowded. So I am sure that I messed up the order and the content a little, but I'm (we're) thrilled that you are becoming a Jayhawks fan! Merrill is such a good place, far better sound than the Asylum where I saw them last.