Nothing left to borrow
I'm gonna make you love me
--------------------------------
Settled down like rain (Gary solo)
Broken harpoon (Gary and John Jackson)
I'll be your key
I'd run away
Baby, baby, baby

I put in a tweet that this was a triumphant show, and after a nights reflection, I stand by that assertion.

This seemed like a validation of a great band - a crowd who came and were as familiar and welcoming with the new material as with the older songs, a crowd who appreciated the contributions of the various band members - in fact there seemed to be a lot of love for Karen in particular last night, and why not as she is great! In essence, it seemed like something which the band had always strived for and seemingly just eluded them - an actual clamour for what the band had to offer, not simply awaiting a few key moments within a show. And, from my experience at least, I cannot recall a London show where I didn't hear ANY talkers (certainly none in my earshot) - EVERYONE was there for the music and that never happens. It is just a sense, but I get the impression from hearing people talking both before and after the show that just now, people GET the Jayhawks - they reminisce about past albums / shows etc and then speak excitedly about the new record, and seeing the band on a Sunday morning tv show. (I noticed that following the tv appearance sales of both Rainy Day Music and Paging Mr Proust on Amazon UK had gone up by 7000%+ and were ranking high in overall sales which is great)

As for the show itself - the opening trio of Waiting, Monsters and Man who loved life set the tone - stone cold classic after classic. I always think that the Man who loved life is a truly underrated gem in the bands canon, and with John Jackson having joined the band and lending violin and mandolin to a number of songs, including violin in the Man who loved life, it really came across powerfully - in fact my only gripe of the evening is that the abbreviated ending to this song denies the chance for it to truly soar at the end.

Other highlights were Big star - comeback kids - bottomless cup - Blue. Pretty Roses in her hair and Isabel's daughter were first timers for me, and as with the other new songs, they fit in so well and I'd really wanted to hear both of them so that was great. Energetic versions of I'd run away and Baby, baby, baby to finish really sent people home buzzing with excitement and in a joyous mood, and for me they both fit better in the encore than I'm gonna make you love me or Tailspin, both of which, in turn, seemed ideally placed towards the end of the man set. Another notable point was that Ace received a far more enthusiastic reaction than it got in Leeds - and which helped emphasise that this was a crowd who truly got what the band was doing.

One moment which made me smile was when Gary threw his slide but it rolled on the floor to just behind him and he could easily have stepped on it and gone for a tumble - but Marc spotted it and shuffled across discreetly to nudge it away - always figured Marc must have Gary's back, and this seemed like such a moment. :)

A slight surprise was the omission of Save it for a rainy day, but we are in the realms now of so many great songs missing out. I quite like the way that the sets seems to have clear representation from HTH, TTGG, SOL, Smile and RDM, and hopefully if the songs included from each of those albums get rotated then all the great songs will get an airing in time.

So, sadly, my 2016 live Jayhawks fix has come to an end :( For those who have the chance to see them coming up in Europe (Spain in particular seems to love them and will be delighted with what they witness) or the States all I can say is I'm convinced that you will enjoy it! Chet is a fine addition and brings real enthusiasm to the stage, Tim's vocals are spectacular and I have no idea how he can do that while drumming away, Marc is, well, Marc and he holds so many songs together with some real interesting bass lines, and Karen seems to be really enjoying herself (although it would be great if she could sing a song in the set as in the past - ode to Billy Joe would be nice ) and Gary is singing and playing as well as ever. Adding John really tops everything off and adds those subtle sounds which make all the difference.
I sincerely hope that the rest of the tour goes great, that the album does well and that the Jayhawks will find their way over here in the UK again really soon.

In the meantime......has that darned Yahoo Live! webcast video surfaced anywhere yet? Need some way to get my live concert fix!!!

sacred roots
09-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Great review, thanks. I see on the social media that Lovers of the Sun (not on the setlist) was also performed during the show, probably in the Rainy Day slot.

mykstermagic
09-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Quite right - my mistake. Lovers of the Sun came after All the right reasons, and before Isabel's daughter. so the actual setlist was:

Waiting for the Sun
Leaving the monsters behind
Man who loved life
Stumbling through the dark
Quiet corners & empty spaces
Tampa to Tulsa
Two Hearts
Pretty roses in her hair
Big Star
Comeback Kids
Bottomless Cup
Blue