View Full Version : Anyone going to the LA show?

07-25-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm excited for it!!!

07-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Quick review - I'll try to write more later. Was anyone from here at the show?

I thought the show was fantastic. The band sounds really excellent and the sound was particularly good last night. Great to hear Karen well and solid drums.

They started off with some soloing into Waiting for the Sun! Tons of highlights for me including Pedal Steel which is a rarity. I dig the new guy. He got some nice solos in Ace and also some dual soloing in Big Star which was awesome! Settled Down by rain acoustic was so sweet!
Gary said we were very polite and he knew a couple people in the crowd. He talked about recording here and some of the studios they used.

Toward the end they played Tomorrow the Green Grass! Awesome and a surprise!!! He talked about them recording it for the album and being clever and not including it. I'll be Your Key was also very beautiful! Loved all the new songs, sound great live esp. Monsters and Comeback Kids. Ace was really cool although sometimes I don't like the studio version as much. I also seem to remember that Gary also talked about Comeback Kids and how Southwest Airlines should have licensed it but that he would get some free stuff instead of payment like a tote bag or drink tickets!

I think this was the Setlist:

Waiting for the Sun
Leaving the Monsters Behind
Somewhere in Ohio
Stumbling Through the Dark
Tampa to Tulsa
Nothing Left to Borrow
Pretty Roses in Your Hair
Big Star
Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces
Bottomless Cup
Devil is in her Eyes
All the Right Reasons
Save It for a Rainy Day
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
I'd Run Away

Settled Down Like Rain
(solo acoustic)
(solo acoustic, with harmonica)
I'll Be Your Key
Tomorrow The Green Grass (!!!)

07-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Also, Gary led us in a sing-a-long for Save it for a Rainy Day which was fun and he also asked if anyone got married to All the Right Reasons and there were 2 or 3 in the crowd. Must be a great feeling!

08-03-2016, 08:48 AM
I was in LA over this time period but did not go to this show (was busy seeing Dead and Co at Irvine Meadows instead), but I did go to the Solana Beach show a couple days earlier. Setlist was probably the same as the show you saw however there was not 2nd encore (TTGG etc) played but songs for it were on the setlist the band had/was using.

Sorry but nothing really stood out for me song wise, performance wise they put on a good show but nothing I've never witnessed before. To me it was cool seeing them in a new venue that was not packed to the gills with 1000+ people in a hot sweaty bar.

Gary's face did have some significant color to it and he admitted to being out in the sun earlier and getting a bit burnt. He mentioned that he see's that quite a bit at their concerts in SoCal, seeing sun burnt folks up front. Well it was himself this time! Hah!

Anyway, great show and Chet is a nice addition to the band!