PDA

View Full Version : My top 3 from 'Proust'

Onnel
06-15-2016, 01:41 AM
1. Leaving the Monsters Behind
2. Comeback Kids
3. Lovers of the Sun

Not played the Jayhawks this obsessively since 'Rainy Day Music' I think. And I like it! LOL:)

jebstuart
06-15-2016, 11:20 PM
1. Leaving the Monsters Behind
2. Comeback Kids
3. Lovers of the Sun

Not played the Jayhawks this obsessively since 'Rainy Day Music' I think. And I like it! LOL:)

Agreed! Add one:
I'll Be Your Key. Only Chris Bell could have come close to this masterpiece.

BluesisBlood
06-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Comeback Kids might be my favorite Jayhawks tune ever.

Onnel
06-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Comeback Kids might be my favorite Jayhawks tune ever.

You might be right! And Gary should sell the chorus to the airport as a slogan! I just imagine the billboard when you arrive at the airport:

RDU
And here we are!

ChiefCrowe
06-21-2016, 11:48 AM
I can't decide yet what my top songs are! Loving the album so far and the outtakes too. Although it would be cool to have 4-5 more outtakes for sure.

What do you think Comeback Kids is about? maybe a reference to Gary's sobriety and a story of someone he loved?

zebulon
06-21-2016, 04:16 PM
The same here, but If I ask my 17 years old daughter there will be no doubt: "Quiet Corners ,,," and "The Devil...". I quite agree. Both are great. So, many great songs to choose from. Looking forward to seeing them live again in September.

BluesisBlood
06-21-2016, 06:18 PM
What do you think Comeback Kids is about? maybe a reference to Gary's sobriety and a story of someone he loved?

I think I read it was about an old flame he would fly out to see?

And I think there's an element to the Jayhawks being the 'comeback kids.'

I don't know, I'm finding it hard to explain, but something about the tune just makes me wanna pump my fist. I just keep coming back to how happy I am for this band and the record they made. It's a triumphant statement.

Comback Kids is already number one on the 'top 25 most played' on my ipod.

Edit: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/16/jayhawks-premiere-summery-love-song-comeback-kids

The sultry track is rooted in a fond memory of Louris’. “[It’s] a love song,” the frontman tells EW via email. “It’s about a girl I used to know. I would fly to visit her and she was a beautiful soul.” Sonically, the song marries two of Louris’ favorite types of music. With a sunburnt melody and whistling atmospherics, it “reflects my love of German music and the music of New York City in the late ’70s. I wanted something that sounded a bit more machine-like than your typical Jayhawks song.” Added bonus? “I got to play the synthesizer — that made me happy.”

mykstermagic
06-22-2016, 06:33 PM
For me, right now it's:
Leaving the monsters behind
Quiet corners & empty spaces
Comeback kids

but that could change in time!!

ChiefCrowe
06-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Thanks Blues! I hadn't read that link before.. very interesting.

I don't know my top 3 yet but I think 2 of them are Leaving the Monsters Behind (which has such a great break in it!) and Lies in Black and White (could be about Mark?)
Tough to decide!

Also, I really wish they had released the Tim song and I think Karen also had a song too in the outtakes!

sacred roots
06-23-2016, 10:20 PM
Also, I really wish they had released the Tim song and I think Karen also had a song too in the outtakes!

Kraig pitched a few of his songs but Tim and Karen were pretty quiet on the songwriting front this time.

Oleo
06-24-2016, 01:13 AM
Hopefully Tim's holding some back for another solo album.

Onnel
06-24-2016, 01:21 AM
Lies in Black and White (could be about Mark?)

I thought the same, if that's the case, then "ouch!"

jebstuart
06-24-2016, 09:30 PM
I like this catchy extra song. I thought it was worthy of making the album cut. Maybe they will play this one at a show some time.

mystic_spiral_3
06-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Nine More Days was my favorite of the outtakes.

sacred roots
06-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Nine More Days was played 4-5 times last year before the album was recorded in Portland. I'm reasonably confident it will show up again sometime in the future.

Oleo
06-24-2016, 11:50 PM
Nine More Days is a great song. I'm surprised it didn't make the album.

Lies in Black and White is definitely the Jayhawks equivalent of "How Do You Sleep."

sacred roots
06-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Nine More Days is a great song. I'm surprised it didn't make the album.

It did make the PledgeMusic expanded version of the album that was available for pre-sale, along with 3 other outtakes (Useless Creatures, Never Letting Go and Fear the Spark), the extended version of "Ace" and 4 Gary Louris home demos. Look for at least the 4 outtakes to be released in some form down the road.

It was a very difficult process narrowing down the album to 12 songs, a testament to the overall quality of the material.

Oleo
06-25-2016, 01:51 AM
I'm happy to report that I have said pledge music version of the album. Still surprised that it didn't make the album proper. Maybe they felt the bridge is a little weak? Otherwise it could be a single.

Onnel
06-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Still surprised that it didn't make the album proper.

Well "Nine More Days" is the opener to my 'Proust #2" album which has the following track list:

1. Nine More Days
2. Comeback Kids
3. I'll Be Your Key
4. Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces
5. The Devil is In Her Eyes
6. Isabel's Daughter
7. Leaving The Monsters Behind
8. Lovers Of The Sun
9. Pretty Roses In Your Hair (home demo version)
10. Fear The Spark (best vocal by Gary in decades)

What an album this is! And no fear that the spark is slowly fading, it all sounds very inspired!!:)

ChiefCrowe
06-27-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure. It's too bad Kraig didn't have a song at least in the outtakes.

Anyway, overall this is a great album. I like the new stuff they are trying out and it has some great lyrics. Really happy to see a band making a really good album in their "later years", which can be some kind of rarity.

Kraig pitched a few of his songs but Tim and Karen were pretty quiet on the songwriting front this time.

mykstermagic
06-27-2016, 03:25 PM
I suppose with Kraig leaving the band, I wouldn't make sense for them to include any of his songs - and he may well be looking at using them himself.
But, what seems clear is that this is a super strong set of songs as it is, the strongest since SOL/Smile imho and hopefully the reaction to the album and the shows will mean that there will be more records to come in the future

BenHertz
06-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Lies in Black and White (could be about Mark?)

To avoid any unwanted conversations, I think Gary should say what Joe Henry said about the song King's Highway, which was something like... "I don't have to live 'em. I just have to tell 'em."

ChiefCrowe
06-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Song question - does anyone know if most of the songs were done beforehand or were any worked on while they were in the studio?

Onnel
06-30-2016, 06:44 AM
Song question - does anyone know if most of the songs were done beforehand or were any worked on while they were in the studio?

My totally uninformed opinion is that Gary had a bunch of demos done in his 'pants optional' studio and took them to the band for a tweak and a recording. Maybe one or two were developed by the band in the studio itself (maybe the ones with the co-credits)

I'm guessing the Jayhawks are not that big they can spend two weeks working on the sound of the snare drum in a rented studio :D

sacred roots
06-30-2016, 01:35 PM
80% of the album is from Gary home demos that ranged in age from a few months to a few years old. These demos were worked on by the entire band during extensive rehearsal sessions in the Jayhawks practice space starting in April 2015 when the possibility of a new Jayhawks album was being explored after the promo cycle for the 2014 reissues was winding down. In some cases the demos emerged from this period relatively intact; in some cases, significant changes were made after input from the band. 20% of the album was written during the later part of these sessions when it became apparent that a new Jayhawks album was viable. Early on in the sessions there was also a considerable amount of "jamming," something not previously done much by the band. Out of these free-form, often spontaneous jams came a few nuggets that ended up on the album (the music for "Dust of Long Dead Stars" for instance).

Peter Buck came to MN for pre-production in August 2015. Over a week he listened to around 40 songs and everything was charted on a big white board with categories like "for sure," "maybe," "Jayhawks song?", "Gary solo?", etc. About 20 songs were brought to Portland in September with almost all of them being tracked. Nothing was written in the studio since time was tight and the meter was running, not to mention the considerable amount of time devoted to pre-production (in recent interviews Gary has stated that the band has never worked this hard on an album before). Because of this extensive prep, things moved very fast in the studio. Many of the final versions are largely live and a few of them are actually first takes (Ace was done in one take and the extended version was released pretty much as is with only some minor edits, audio massaging and added harmony vocals). All of the tracking was done in 6 days, with another week spent on overdubs, vocals, tweaks, etc. This is a testament to Buck's preferred working style (in contrast to Martine's who, coincidentally, is a stickler for drum sounds) and also a reflection of the economic realities of the project. Mixing with Gary, Peter and Tucker Martine took about another 3 weeks and everything was in the can about 5 weeks after the recording began.

jebstuart
06-30-2016, 10:53 PM
80% of the album is from Gary home demos that ranged in age from a few months to a few years old. These demos were worked on by the entire band during extensive rehearsal sessions in the Jayhawks practice space starting in April 2015 when the possibility of a new Jayhawks album was being explored after the promo cycle for the 2014 reissues was winding down. In some cases the demos emerged from this period relatively intact; in some cases, significant changes were made after input from the band. 20% of the album was written during the later part of these sessions when it became apparent that a new Jayhawks album was viable. Early on in the sessions there was also a considerable amount of "jamming," something not previously done much by the band. Out of these free-form, often spontaneous jams came a few nuggets that ended up on the album (the music for "Dust of Long Dead Stars" for instance).

Peter Buck came to MN for pre-production in August 2015. Over a week he listened to around 40 songs and everything was charted on a big white board with categories like "for sure," "maybe," "Jayhawks song?", "Gary solo?", etc. About 20 songs were brought to Portland in September with almost all of them being tracked. Nothing was written in the studio since time was tight and the meter was running, not to mention the considerable amount of time devoted to pre-production (in recent interviews Gary has stated that the band has never worked this hard on an album before). Because of this extensive prep, things moved very fast in the studio. Many of the final versions are largely live and a few of them are actually first takes (Ace was done in one take and the extended version was released pretty much as is with only some minor edits, audio massaging and added harmony vocals). All of the tracking was done in 6 days, with another week spent on overdubs, vocals, tweaks, etc. This is a testament to Buck's preferred working style (in contrast to Martine's who, coincidentally, is a stickler for drum sounds) and also a reflection of the economic realities of the project. Mixing with Gary, Peter and Tucker Martine took about another 3 weeks and everything was in the can about 5 weeks after the recording began.

Sounds like the way Big Star used to do things. Awesome! I enjoyed these insights very much. I had a feeling about Ace being done this way. Would have made Alex Chilton proud.

ChiefCrowe
07-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Thank you!!!!
That was really great to read all of those details!!