PDA

View Full Version : New album now streaming on NPR

sacred roots
04-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Entire album now streaming on NPR's First Listen:

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/18/474678876/first-listen-the-jayhawks-paging-mr-proust

jebstuart
04-21-2016, 08:57 PM
I thought Stephen Thompson's article could have been a little bit better. I am certain the Jayhawks were plowing new ground while Uncle Tupelo was still in the 5th grade. Don't get the comparison at all. Those two bands are very different with different personalities, styles, and goals. Then he just shrugs off the post Olson era part one as some sort of "tricky" and "unpredictable" escapade.

This poor band deserves a better introduction for Paging Mr. Proust which is going to be a ton of fun to listen too all summer long.

Runningpotleaf
04-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Lemme see, Jayhawks started in 1985 and Uncle Tupelo started in 1987. Clearly with that information UT was not in 5th grade when the "Jayhawks were plowing new ground." They were closer to be about graduating from H.S.

Hard to say what he was going after though in that reference to UT. To me UT was more of a punk Americana, and the Jayhawks were not that. In fact, no one else was really doing "that" at the time.

Thanks for posting the link though PD, can't wait to get the actual disc in my hands though!!

JayB
04-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Listening now... 3 songs in and it already towers high above the last one for me!!

Oleo
04-22-2016, 11:25 AM
No Tim song this time?

CaffeineZombie
04-22-2016, 01:57 PM
I LOVE how "I'll Be Your Key" sounds like a long-lost Chris Bell song.

kmweiss
04-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Always excited for new release. Love to listen all the way through a few times and let it sink in!

J. Chamberlain
04-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the link. Very enjoyable after the first song is over. Maybe could've done without all the disjointed-distorted guitar solos. But that's just my immediate impression. Those solos might be some of my favorite moments in the future. That can be the hallmark of a classic album, at first I'm somewhat annoyed, then it just gets better and better when I listen to it more. Looking forward to hearing PMP in better sound quality. Overall, I really like it. Paging Mr. Proust kind of gave me a boost.

sacred roots
04-22-2016, 09:09 PM
I LOVE how "I'll Be Your Key" sounds like a long-lost Chris Bell song.

Bingo. That's EXACTLY what Gary was aiming for.

sacred roots
04-22-2016, 09:12 PM
No Tim song this time?

Nope. There were Tim, Karen and Kraig songs that were worked on but none of them made the final cut.

sacred roots
04-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Listening now... 3 songs in and it already towers high above the last one for me!!

I felt that way after the first song. ;)

sacred roots
04-22-2016, 09:16 PM
Very enjoyable after the first song is over. Maybe could've done without all the disjointed-distorted guitar solos.

Hmmm...those are some of my favorite things on the record. Gary and Peter worked very hard on the guitar sounds - constantly experimenting with different guitars, amps, effects and recording techniques.

J. Chamberlain
04-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Hmmm...those are some of my favorite things on the record. Gary and Peter worked very hard on the guitar sounds - constantly experimenting with different guitars, amps, effects and recording techniques.

See, maybe I just need time with it. I'll probably get it when the music isn't lossy-streaming through little computer speakers. I consider that a nice preview. So I do appreciate the link. Streaming never fully does it for me.

Maybe it was the juxtaposition of the guitars, flying off the rails, while the rest of the music did something else. But like I said, that was just my first impression via the laptop. I don't know what I heard at this point. However, I probably won't ever like the first song! Sorry. :D

ChiefCrowe
04-23-2016, 01:57 PM
Assuming they are not on the bonus cd, any chance of hearing them somehow in the future?

Nope. There were Tim, Karen and Kraig songs that were worked on but none of them made the final cut.

fortuleo
04-23-2016, 05:26 PM
It sounds like a very focused little rock'n'roll record. No real ballads, no big statement, no overwhelming "depth". I think some songs are a little bit derivative (the more "rocking" tracks like Lost the summer and Long Dead Stars). As always with Gary, I tend to prefer the more melodic tracks (Corners, Lovers of the Sun, Monsters, Devil). The nicest thing is that as usual with this marvelous band, it does sound like an album. Not a single bad track, it's the sound of a real band playing and singing. Throughout, Karen's vocals are exquisite, as always she brings an extra musicality to Gary's tunes. My only regret is I don't like the last three songs of the LP very much. I'll be Your Key is a good track, but essentially an exercise in the style of Chris Bell / Big Star, a style that, in this case, Gary fails to make completely his own in my opinion. It made me realize that with the exception of Sound of Lies, the Jayhawks generally don't have extraordinary closing tracks. I still do love most of them, but they are almost never one of the best tracks of the records (this can also be said of Vagadonds and Ready for the Flood).

Oleo
04-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Oh boy. Troll alert.

sacred roots
04-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Assuming they are not on the bonus cd, any chance of hearing them somehow in the future?

Probably not.

sacred roots
04-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Oh boy. Troll alert.

Nah, trolls usually are at least a little funny. This is just musings of a bitter, clueless sad sack who thinks they know something that they don't.

fortuleo
04-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Well, I thought I'd come back here to discuss the new LP…

sacred roots
04-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Well, I thought I'd come back here to discuss the new LP…

Nothing wrong with that! The initial press, radio and fan reaction to the new album has been overwhelmingly positive, in some case extremely so. The record isn't even out and it's already generated more buzz and garnered more acclaims than the sum total of the last one. Hop on the positive train - it's crowded but there's still plenty of room.

fortuleo
04-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Interesting how the album seems to bear the influence of geeky music conversations between Buck and Gary. Buck's co-production is felt through some obvious references (Byrds, Big Star, Power Pop, 80's college rock) and theories (how a guitar should or could sound, how to write a middle eight, how not to write a middle eight) more than through aiming for a specific sound.
I feel Gary has always had some kind of a complex of being too "poppy" or too much of a "melodic writer" and is often attracted to edgier, rockier or more experimental stuff, even if it's not what comes naturally out of him. This album obviously tries to balance things out between the two approaches. As I said in a previous post, I tend to prefer the poppier side of the Jayhawks myself, but the more I listen to the album, the more I think it holds well together. Just finished a Side 1 then Side 2 listening party on NPR, and I thought the sequencing was fantastic. Isabella's Daughter is a great side closer, for instance. It makes more sense as a side closer than as a stand alone song. Same with "Ace". It's groovy and interesting, but I prefer it as the first song on Side 2 than just in the middle of a 12 songs playlist. All in all, I think the LP is all the better for being their first real "vinyl first" release since their debut, some 30+ years ago.

jebstuart
04-24-2016, 09:21 PM
I hear a nod to Alan Parsons at times on the new record. Really looking forward to pulling the shrink wrap off of the new vinyl

david_skoglund
04-25-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm really anticipating this release. Even though the whole thing is streaming and they've made tracks available through Pledge Music, I've only randomly heard what the Current has played so far.

I don't want my first impression of the album to be based on an MP3 or a streaming version. I want to hear the full version.

kmweiss
04-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Did the pre-order so got 4 of the songs. Really liking Quiet Corners and The Devil is in her Eyes. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing a few times through, but certainly can see those 2 being live favorites. Gorgeous vocals and some nice solos.

JoMama
04-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Thanks to a friend, I got the vinyl a little before the release date, and it's of
no consequence.
Anyone who know's Gary's sense of direction doesn't need one format to "confirm" anything. The songs confirm themselves. The streaming sounds were fine in the headphones, and the truth is as always: Ear-worm-worthy melodies and counter-points, and enough studio noodling to add something extra.
You won't be disappointed.

kmweiss
04-29-2016, 10:51 AM
The Dust of Long-Dead Stars and Lies in Black & White are awesome. Love that they are back to back. Happy days! And at first listen, I really liked Leaving the Monsters Behind (love the title) and Isabel's Daughter.

I notice the comparisons here and FB to Mockingbird Time and usually lots of criticism for MT. I'm not comparing, but I think it will be sad if Gary throws away stuff like She Walks in So Many Ways or Pouring Rain at Dawn which are great songs. Still really enjoy parts of MT and hope they will be played live. Quiet Corners is not so far off from She Walks...

JayB
04-29-2016, 11:13 AM
I've been listening to this album all day today courtesy of the official download... what an album, I love it.

I hear ya, km, about the criticism for MT... but, as much as I wanted to love that album, it just never grabbed me. I don't think any of it was horrible, but it just didn't hit me... it has some good songs, but the whole album sounds a bit like they felt they had to make it, rather than that they were burning to make a great new album... it felt almost as if they felt that they had to make because they were altogether again, and they then made an album that sounds like they thought an album with the "original lineup" ought to sound like.

This new one does feel like they had a burning desire to make a new statement. like they were in it for the joy of making new music... without trying to replicate previous albums made by the same lineup.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well here... but, that all said, that's just my personal opinion, and I have no idea if any of this was actually the case and I'm glad you like MT. :)

sacred roots
04-29-2016, 12:58 PM
This new one does feel like they had a burning desire to make a new statement. like they were in it for the joy of making new music... without trying to replicate previous albums made by the same lineup.

Bullseye. That's EXACTLY what happened.

sacred roots
04-29-2016, 01:03 PM
but I think it will be sad if Gary throws away stuff like She Walks in So Many Ways or Pouring Rain at Dawn which are great songs. Still really enjoy parts of MT and hope they will be played live.

Unfortunately the MT period is still so painful to everyone in the band that I don't think the time is right to play those songs live, especially when there are so many other things in their repertoire that they love to play. You're right, though, even though the consensus is that MT is far from the band doing its best work there are some nice things on there would sound great live with the current lineup. Sadly, for the time being, MT is going to be something of a "lost" album, even though, ironically, it's only 5 years old.

david_skoglund
04-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Anyone who know's Gary's sense of direction doesn't need one format to "confirm" anything.

Was this directed at my comment? I didn't need to "confirm" anything, it's just a personal preference of how I wanted to listen to the full album for the first time.

kmweiss
04-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Thanks SR. That's unfortunate, but I get it. Plenty of awesome stuff to play so not a problem.

Funny that when Gary and Mark toured I really wanted to hear Kick the Wood and I think it was the only song they didn't play! I must pick the winners!! LOL - still think it is the best song on that cd!

Unfortunately the MT period is still so painful to everyone in the band that I don't think the time is right to play those songs live, especially when there are so many other things in their repertoire that they love to play. You're right, though, even though the consensus is that MT is far from the band doing its best work there are some nice things on there would sound great live with the current lineup. Sadly, for the time being, MT is going to be something of a "lost" album, even though, ironically, it's only 5 years old.

Calexico
04-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Hello everyone! Long time, no post. Anyway, I put this on Facebook earlier and thought I might post it here too.

Gave the album a run through today at work and will give it another spin this evening. First impressions?

The sound is superb. Very crisp and clear which seems to be a Peter Buck trait on records he produces/works on.

The second half of the album is the most immediately satisfying to me. There are some wonderful tracks there. Comeback Kids, Lies In Black And White, The Devil Is In Her Eyes. Really great songs.

The opening half has some classic Jayhawk tropes in the ringing guitar and great vocals. Nothing wrong there. This is why most of us love their music. No surprises but some lovely pop songs. Especially Lovers Of The Sun which deserves to be placed in a huge, hit romantic comedy. Only one song really jarred for me, Lost The Summer. Just felt as if they didn't know where to go with it.

All in all, I feel it will reveal itself over a few more plays to be a really solid Jayhawks record. A slightly jaded cousin to the brasher Sound Of Lies. Further proof that Olson leaving was an overall positive move.

I have listened to it twice more this afternoon and definitely feel the better songs are to the back of the record. Also, I have been seeing a lot of ambivalence towards Ace but I really like that. It's so out of place to a certain extent that it shines a little more than it probably should.

BluesisBlood
04-29-2016, 04:56 PM
... without trying to replicate previous albums made by the same lineup.
)

I think Gary even said in Rolling Stone around the time of MT's release that they approached the recording as if it was the follow-up to Tomorrow the Green Grass, or something to that effect.

Anyway, I love this album. I'm really happy for this band.

Comeback Kids is my favorite. I'm not familiar with krautrock at all, but I'll take more of that, Gary.
What a lyric: "we're the comeback kids/never forgot what we did or where we came from"
I'm really glad I contributed to the Pledge Music campaign. It was cool to get updates and exclusive downloads and bonus trucks.

BluesisBlood
05-01-2016, 10:55 AM
I can't get "Never Letting Go" outta my head. What a great song! Glad this didn't go unreleased.

Chaosdan
05-01-2016, 11:19 AM
I have returned to discuss the new album!

Except I haven't heard it yet. But I have just bought it. So I shall return again soon, as I know you're all desperate to hear my opinion ;)

Oleo
05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
I can't get "Never Letting Go" outta my head. What a great song! Glad this didn't go unreleased.

I feel the same about Nine More Days. Some of these out takes are really excellent.

david_skoglund
05-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Really liking this album so far. There are some marvelous things going on in the music floating in and out of the mix. I'm glad they stretched out and experimented with the sound on the new album.

patrickhayes
05-03-2016, 02:31 PM
After giving it a good number of listens I can say I really, really dig this record. It's sounding like the best parts of SoL and RDM to me, "art '15" is the overall vibe for me.

In a way it kind of reminds me of what I always wish Crowded House had done more of, super strong pop songs coupled with moody grooves and just enough dissonance to keep things really engaging.

I'm excited to hear which songs grab me live as opposed to the recorded versions.

The guitar work is fantastic throughout too. So damn good.