PDA

View Full Version : Au Pair in NYC at Joe's Pub

nutshell
01-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Gary's side project, Au Pair, is (are?) playing tonight in NYC. Anyone here going? I am, along with some great friends, and I can't wait! What I've heard of the music so far, is fantastic. I'll report back after the show.

On another note, has anyone seen the movie "Love and Mercy"? It's about Brian Wilson. I never liked the Beach Boys, but after seeing that movie, I delved a little deeper, and found some really good stuff there.

I think Gary could do a great cover of this song -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSoM2sJ4N1M
Gorgeous melody.

jebstuart
01-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Gary's side project, Au Pair, is (are?) playing tonight in NYC. Anyone here going? I am, along with some great friends, and I can't wait! What I've heard of the music so far, is fantastic. I'll report back after the show.

On another note, has anyone seen the movie "Love and Mercy"? It's about Brian Wilson. I never liked the Beach Boys, but after seeing that movie, I delved a little deeper, and found some really good stuff there.

I think Gary could do a great cover of this song -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSoM2sJ4N1M
Gorgeous melody.

One of Wilson's best! Love the bicycle ringer! Make sure you get Smile if you like Pet Sounds.

nutshell
01-30-2016, 08:06 AM
One of Wilson's best! Love the bicycle ringer!
Yes!

The Au Pair show last night was wonderful! Gary and Django on two acoustic guitars, although Gary made his acoustic sound like a smokin' electric at times. Gary also played this unusual, tiny sort of synthesizer/keyboard thing on a few songs. I believe they played all of the songs on the album, and they sounded great. The opener, "Waiting for the First Time" was my personal favorite.

It was a loose, fun feeling show, with lots of banter, and laughs. I think Django is good for Gary. The two can harmonize just beautifully together.

mystic_spiral_3
02-01-2016, 08:43 PM
I agree with Nutshell's overall description of the show! She asked me to post the set list, and here it is...sorry for the delay! I got home very late last night from concert weekend.

Waiting for the First Time
King of the Valley
Middle Distance
One Eyed Crier
In Every Window
Make an Entrance
New Deal
Night Falls Early
One Armed Candy Bear
O Henry
Empty Quiver
Sullivan's Ghost