Stumbling Through the Dark
Take Me With You
Haywire
Tampa to Tulsa
Waiting for the Sun
I'd Run Away
All the Right Reasons
Angelyne
Tailspin (after an apologetic "Go Twins" from Gary)
Sister Cry

Sound was pretty good (even in the balcony). Gary and Tim sounded great while singing.

For those going to Woodstock tomorrow night, enjoy. I wish I could join.

UWS Fan
10-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Short and very sweet indeed. This show caused me to pause and reflect on the good old days. Think about it, Smilin, the Jayhawks are reaching a much larger audience these days. There are a lot of new fans out there after tonight. Good for them, bad for us, because I see them continuing to gather steam. They were a knockout tonight. Much better than last, and I thought last night was wonderful.

Lucinda was much better, too. She'd benefit from an editor, however.

smilin'
10-04-2003, 07:18 AM
There seemed to be quite a few folks, like us, who were there for the 'Hawks. I bet they could easily fill the Beacon as the headliner. It was awfully nice visiting the UWS. We lived there years ago. Love the way the setting sun lights up the pre-wars.

Sitting up in the balcony looking down at Gary playing "Waiting for the Sun" with his head tilted down, I caught a little Jerry Garcia vibe. Was that going on or just too much wine with dinner?

UWS Fan
10-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Could have been the wine! Nonetheless, Gary's guitar playing and stage presence have never been better-----I think he was genuinely having fun up there.

Funny moment: towards the end of the show, Gary thanks the (very enthusiastic) audience for their support, the theater now full, then says, "And if you just got here, too bad, cuz you missed a helluva show".

JamesT42
10-04-2003, 04:56 PM
I guess im one ofthe newcomers only seeing them 2x: Irving plaza and Beacon. Need a much longer dose thou. 45 minutes not enough, although it was great.

Anyone know about a return to NYC??

Anyway I did my good deed of he day at the show. Wasnt interested in Lucinda and had 12th row tickets. Afte the hawks played I went up to the last row in the Balcony and gave my tickets to a nice looking couple. They seemed a litle mystified but happy.

Anywy off to Bruuuuuce tonight.

SmilingEar2Ear
10-05-2003, 12:35 PM
The Jayhawks played their hearts out Friday night at the Beacon. They definitely left me wanting more! 45 minutes .. not enough!

The atmosphere was intimately electric for both the Jayhawks and Lucinda Williams. The mutual respect between the two artists was apparent.

The most beautiful moment of the evening was when Lucinda played her soulful ballad "Essence". While deep in the vibe of her raw, longing, passionate performance.. Gary walked on stage to the surprise of everyone (even Lucinda) for an impromptu duo. Their two voices were perfectly harmonic that transcended to a spiritual level. Simply awesome.

Thanks, Gary!!!